Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns still waiting for a bypass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

Yes, its about time Castleisland is being bypassed! hard to believe the main dublin-Tralee route has to trundle through Castleisland even in 2009! should of being bypassed a decade ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Both :D

I took a deep breath! The reason I said it, is because I'm sure Spong Bob doesnt even know what Castleisland looks like

is not a priority or is already done or allegedly being done ..eg Castleisland

He said its either not a priority or been done now. In one sentence.

But It is a priority just to clear up the confusion.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Yes, its about time Castleisland is being bypassed! hard to believe the main dublin-Tralee route has to trundle through Castleisland even in 2009! should of being bypassed a decade ago!

Folks, I have a thread on this on the Kerry forum. Site Offices are being setup at the moment. Actual construction to start within the next 2 weeks. Due for completion end of next year.

See here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481893

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Of course there's also Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest and the heritage village of Adare (DC levels of traffic going through a tourist stop-off point - fun!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But shouldn't Tralee get its second set of bypasses first?

Zoney wrote: »
    Of course there's also Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest and the heritage village of Adare (DC levels of traffic going through a tourist stop-off point - fun!).

You could also add Templeglantine to that Zoney dont like dropping down to 60km/hr passing though there very annoying. Abbeyfeale is really getting as bad as Gort now in terms of the road surface. One of the worst bottlenecks around 4 o clock in the evening especially on a school day.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tobercurry got a biteen of a bypass 30 years ago .

A very poor one. I take the town centre if I am stuck behind a truck(who will take the bypass) and always come out ahead of it when heading south.

North of Sligo for about 10 miles to Grange is a really cack road . Slow and dangerous .

Once you go north of Grange it is liveable with until you reach Ballybofey which is in need of a bypass too.

Agree but its definately not as bad as the Tubbercurry- Collooney and Tubercurry- Curry sections of the N17.
    I completely agree that Adare and Claregalway are utterly dire and need doing yesterday .

Longford is another one .

If there is no money for the M18 I would consider a a small bypass of Clarinbridge too to provide relief for the next 10 years and for safety reasons long term post construction of the M18 . Clarinbridge and Adare attract tourists who pull out like sheep in front of people . If the PPP fails I would build the Tuam bypass portion alone because Tuam is another bottleneck

Agree but Im still hopeful the N17/N18 PPP will go ahead.
    Anywhere else I can think of in the west is not a priority or is already done or allegedly being done ..eg Castleisland

Its going ahead and site work has started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tech2 wrote: »
    A very poor one. I take the town centre if I am stuck behind a truck(who will take the bypass) and always come out ahead of it when heading south.

I usually do the same heading north too :p
    Its definately not as bad as the Tubbercurry- Collooney and Tubercurry- Curry sections of the N17.

The traffic north of Sligo is much heavier , I find the traffic either side of Tubbercurry is lighter and there are some straights for passing out without solid oncoming .

That is impossible north of Sligo owing to traffic volumes . You would not get past very much until you get near the Leitrim border .

Thats my opinion anyway and I would personally prioritise the road north of Sligo for that reason .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is impossible north of Sligo owing to traffic volumes . You would not get past very much until you get near the Leitrim border .

And very shortly after that, you're in Donegal where the N15 is WS2 most of the way and partially grade seperated in parts... Sligo's bits of it really do look terrible in comparison.

When theres a few pennies to rub together again, the Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass is crying out for retrofitting to 2+2 standard. All the structures are wide enough and I think the actual road bed is wide enough too. New layer of wearing course down to cover the old lines/studs/the few years wear; throw a barrier in the middle and the jobs done.

Sligo in general needs more national road work done, there is an atrocious stretch of the N4 just south of where the N17 splits off too. Its the worst section of road on the drive from Ballyshannon to Dublin really.

• Advertisement

i think the N17 south of sligo should be priortised before the N15 north of sligo, the N17 is an extremely narrow dangerous road, with feck all stretch's of hard shoulders. The N15 is of much better quality with slow lanes, mostly hard shoulder etc! The N17 is just as busy as the N15

MYOB wrote: »
    And very shortly after that, you're in Donegal where the N15 is WS2 most of the way and partially grade seperated in parts... Sligo's bits of it really do look terrible in comparison.

When theres a few pennies to rub together again, the Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass is crying out for retrofitting to 2+2 standard. All the structures are wide enough and I think the actual road bed is wide enough too. New layer of wearing course down to cover the old lines/studs/the few years wear; throw a barrier in the middle and the jobs done.

The Claremorrris bypass, Tralee - Castleisland, Castleisland - Feales Bridge, Bundoran-Donegal Town, Adare-Patrickswell new WS2's like these should be upgraded to 2+2, the old WS2's are not adequate enough as there is not enough road side access to both sides and its narrower than the newer WS2's.

The Claremorris bypass isn't WS2 tho, so dont think it would be possible to upgrade it to 2+2 without replacing flyovers, bridges etc.. the Ballyshannon-Bundoran bypass would be WS2 and would be easy enough to retrofit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

The Claremorris bypass isn't WS2 tho, so dont think it would be possible to upgrade it to 2+2 without replacing flyovers, bridges etc.. the Ballyshannon-Bundoran bypass would be WS2 and would be easy enough to retrofit!

...yes, the Claremorris bypass looks like an old S2 road type (13.5m) as opposed to the newer equivalent of 12.3m. The new defunct WS2 type is 15m while its replacement 2+2 is 16.5m. The current standards are as follow:

RS2: 8.0m (2 x 3.5m lanes)
    S2: 12.3m (2 x 3.65m lanes, 2 x 2.5m hard shoulders)
    2+1: 13.0m (3 x 3.5m lanes - mainly for retrofit projects)
    2+2: 16.5m (4 x 3.5m lanes - Roundabouts and CGSJs)

D2AP: 21.6m (with 2.5m Hard Shoulders, Solid Barrier and CGSJs)
    D2M: 21.6m (Full Grade Seperation with 120kph Design Speed)
    WD2M: 30.0m (with 3.0 Hard Shoulders, 3.75m Lanes, 9.0m Grass Median)
    WD2M: 37.0m (16.0m Median with provision for 3rd Lane each way)

Regards!

Out of curiosity was the N5 Charlestown bypass the last single carriageway bypass to be built in ireland??? as all towns to be bypassed on National routes will surely be replaced with 2+2 roads!!!i always thought the Charlestown bypass should of being constructed as a 2+2, for safety reasons especially, to prevent head on collisions! i know this road wouldn't have very high traffic volumes, but the way i look at it is, its the main route to Mayo & its 3 largest towns, traffic volumes are bound to increase and when a road like this is being constructed it will have to do 4 decades to come so why not just do the job properly and plan ahead instead of just building for present day traffic volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

When was the Charlestown Bypass built? The Loughrea Bypass is pretty new.

By the way, the Loughrea Bypass is a bad excuse for a road. You know you're in Galway when they plonk 3 roundabouts in the middle of a short stretch of new road and then there's the situation of e.g - Baunoge to Coorebaun traffic (tonnes of other examples) interrupting the flow long distance traffic on the N6.

Also it's brand new road and solid white line it's whole length. Could they not have built it so that you could actually overtake? The hard shoulder (which isn't even present on the full length of the new road) has become a running lane for many slow moving vehicles who want to allow cars to pass.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

i don't see any issue with the loughrea bypass - it was built in the context of the m6 being built later on wasn't it? if so its perfectly adequate as a relief road for a small town on a regional road - very good spec actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Edenderry

The Charlestown bypass opened to traffic late 2007!

yes the loughrea bypass was built just for the meantime until the M6 is built! i often think loughrea was lucky to actually get that bypass, because most towns on main routes like that e.g abbeyleix N8, mountrath N7 etc have to wait for the motorway to be built before they get bypassed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think Abbeyleix and Mountrath would have required way too expensive temp bypasses to get one - the places that did get one (Kinnegad, Enfield pre M4/M6, the Edgeworthstown one done while plans are afoot for an N4 DC, and Loughrea) were relatively cheap to do - all a few KM in length; I could see a Mountrath bypass having been a fair bit longer to get around the town.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity was the N5 Charlestown bypass the last single carriageway bypass to be built in ireland???

N52 Tullamore Bypass is under construction as single; just noticed this today when in Tullamore.

So what bypasses do we need NOW.

Apart from Adare and Claregalway which are getting one ASAP.

NWC/Abbeyfeale N21
    Birr N52
    Sligo N15
    Longford N5
    Carrick on Shannon N24
    Tralee bypass N22
    Tipperary town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

MYOB wrote: »
    N52 Tullamore Bypass is under construction as single; just noticed this today when in Tullamore.

You sure? Maybe part of it is duel to allow overtaking or something because the bridge out by Screggan/Mucklagh is fairly big and I imagine would allow for duel lane.

Maybe I just imagined that though :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

mysterious wrote: »

NWC/Abbeyfeale N21
    Birr N52
    Sligo N15
    Longford N5
    Carrick on Shannon N24
    Tralee bypass N22
    Tipperary town.

Does Birr really need a bypass? I have been in Birr thousands of times and never saw any dire problems with traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

nordydan wrote: »
    ballybofey/stranorlar. shocking during the summer

Terrible. And the bendy road on the way in. (from the Sligo side). Just that feeling that puts you off Ballybofey and Stranorlar. Nothing much in the place but it doesn't help getting caught up there in a crowded car on a bank holiday in the Summer.

Jaysus. It's terrible stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

NWC/Abbeyfeale N21
    Birr N52
    Sligo N15
    Longford N5
    Carrick on Shannon N24
    Tralee bypass N22
    Tipperary town.

Sligo has a relief road. Not much relief though. :pac:

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Does Birr really need a bypass? I have been in Birr thousands of times and never saw any dire problems with traffic.

With the Millingar bypass complete and now the Tullamore bypaas underwy, I would have thought Birr would need one soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

NWC/Abbeyfeale N21
    Birr N52
    Sligo N15
    Longford N5
    Carrick on Shannon N24
    Tralee bypass N22
    Tipperary town.

I presume you mean Carrick-on-Suir

Dumb wrote: »
    Sligo has a relief road. Not much relief though. :pac:

It was a real stupid idea building a dual carriageway outside Sligo and then not bypassing it. The east would be the only option for a route available linking up with the N15 and N16.

Tralee bypass not a major deal if it does not get done.

I hope Abbeyfeale and NCW get prioritised after the Adare, Longford and Claregalway bypasses though it not very likely.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    I presume you mean Carrick-on-Suir

Carrick On Shannon needs an N4 bypass badly, so he may have meant this.

It WAS bypassed - just the greed of the two councils means theres shopping centres built beyond the end of the bypass on the Leitrim side and entire new town built on the Roscommon side!

Advertisement