Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns still waiting for a bypass

Options
  • 15-08-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭

Despite the progress made on many roads inrecent years, there are still a sizeable number of towns awaiting (under construction)/ have no bypass yet.

The ones I can think of are;

- Portlaoise (N80 i refer to)
    -Mountmellick (N80)
    -Tullamore (N80)
    -Birr (N52)

-Navan (N3)
    -Dunshaughlin (N3)
    -Kells (N3)
    -Virginia (N3)

-Longford (N5)

-Abbeyleix (N8)

-Thomastown (N9)
    -Gowran (N9)

-Enniscorthy (N11)

-Cahir (N24)
    -Carrick-on Suir (N24)
    -New Ross (N25)

-Athy (N78)

Towns/City with Bypass under construction, but still not open;
    -Carlow (N9)
    -Waterford (N25)
    -Gorey (N11)
    -Fermoy (N8)
    -Ennis (N17)

I'm sure there must be loads more towns that are still awaiting a bypass at this stage?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mfitzy wrote:
    Despite the progress made on many roads inrecent years, there are still a sizeable number of towns awaiting (under construction)/ have no bypass yet.

The ones I can think of are;
    <snip>
    I'm sure there must be loads more towns that are still awaiting a bypass at this stage?
    All of those are getting bypasses in the current program except for 3 of the first 4. (Mountmellick's is starting this year).

Presumably they are concentrating quite rightly on the national primaries for the mo until they address the deficiency. Following that there's likely to be a focus on the secondaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cahir bypass is underway.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Im going to add Cobh to that list - although it doesnt of course need a bypass due to the fact that its an island, the state of the road going to it is more than bad enough to warrant bypass-like funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Newcastlewest... A nasty bottleneck on NATIONAL primary route. Adare is getting worse. both in N21

Adare bypass should warrant DC at this stage. June traffic is sizzling to almost 16,500. 2+1 will be out of date when Adare get it's bypass built.

Claregalway on N17... snarlup of a place

Gort on N18. another...

Finallly people forget New Ross and Carick on suir.

These towns are by far the most needed of the ones mentioned than above.:p

Mountrath.. since everyone mentioned Portlaoise, Mountmelick and Abbeyleix.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

ballybofey/stranorlar. shocking during the summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I could be wrong but I believe Adare is now getting DC? And with the Castleisland bypass going ahead soon (?) I agree that Newcastlewest and Abbefeale are going to be major bottlenecks on the N21.

mysterious wrote:

Gort on N18. another...

Agreed. Once Ennis is done Gort will become a desperate mess.

Not to mention you'll get off the nice DC Ennis bypass, come onto single lane track for about 500m, then all have to do a tight S bend under a low, narrow, disused railway bridge :rolleyes:

CastleIsland scheme is def high priorthy since either end is now first class standard. N21 at Tralee is upgraded. and now the Abbeyfeale to Castleisland completed. all is left is the Newcastle to Adare and the CastleIsland bypass itself.

Adare has greater traffic than either N7, N8 or N6 and from what the NRA are planning to build is a 2+1.. In five year traffic will pass 20,000 and a 2+1 is just not adequate. I hope your right.

Agreed. Once Ennis is done Gort will become a desperate mess.

Not to mention you'll get off the nice DC Ennis bypass, come onto single lane track for about 500m, then all have to do a tight S bend under a low, narrow, disused railway bridge :rolleyes:

It looks like a job for the T21....:D in 2020. well wasn't humerous but that road is indeed dangerous for a N road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Ballina county mayo, needs a bypass from the N59 sligo ballina road around to south side of the town, foxford road.

westtip wrote:
    Ballina county mayo, needs a bypass from the N59 sligo ballina road around to south side of the town, foxford road.

not high priorthy like the ones mentioned. The N59 would have a consideringly small amount of through traffic to warrent a bypass. most of the traffic in Ballina would be destination, not through traffic, what Ballina needs is circular road, due to so many regional roads converge at this point. N59 is a quiet road, and I tell yas it won't get a bypass in this t21 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cor

Longford is already by-passed. You no longer have to go through the town.

Was in Ballina last weekend and there was a queue to get in to the town due to the new traffic restriction (not being able to go straight towards the cathedral when coming from Sligo direction) imo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The circular road for Ballina is planned, for years now; I think the council has ownership of the land or at least wouldn’t let anything be built on them.

The 'Ballina & Environs Development Plan, 2003-2009' plans for the building of stage one of the "outer ring road linking the N26 (Foxford Road) with the N59 – West (Crossmolina Road), and the R314 (Killala Road)”.

On the N59 north (to Sligo), a small stretch of the small stretch between of Ballina and the Sligo boarder was worked on recently. The road was widened, which would have left a decent road, however, the surface was left on par to the worst road surfaces around the town.

The one-way system between the bridges is logical. It allows for greater free flow, leaving the queues in places they won’t interrupt other traffic.

In 2005 a small section of N26 was also modernised (this time the surface was Minister for Press Releases material), the upgraded road hardly makes it out of the town, far short of Foxford is an understatement.

Continuing the upgrading of N26 (the Foxford Road, used at least in part to get to Dublin, Galway, Castlebar etc) may be of similar importance of even higher then any ring road for the town and the surrounding area.

Anyone know the crazy roundabouts and inner ring road in Castlebar? The story, apparently, goes that the funds were earmarked for the upgrading of the N26 (I think this was about the time Castlebar got its road then unofficially named after Padraig Flynn), but after objections from some locals it wasn’t to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

mysterious wrote:
    not high priorthy like the ones mentioned. The N59 would have a consideringly small amount of through traffic to warrent a bypass. most of the traffic in Ballina would be destination, not through traffic, what Ballina needs is circular road, due to so many regional roads converge at this point. N59 is a quiet road, and I tell yas it won't get a bypass in this t21 plan.

The N59 is one of the most dangerous roads in the country and a lot of traffic from Ballina uses it to swing up to the N4 rather than use the N5 route to Dublin, also you would be surprised at the level of traffic flowing between Ballina and Sligo. A Ring road around Ballina would pretty much serve the pupose of a by-pass, the route I mentioned N59 around the back of an area called Ardnaree and swinging through to about where Hollister is on the N26 would relieve a great deal of congestion in the town, and open up areas to develop for out of town retail and wholesale, it would connect with the Crossmolinia and Killala roads. In effect the ring road you mentioned would de-fact be a by-pass. You say it is not a high priority - it is for the people of Ballina and surrounding areas, just as much the priorities are for other towns mentioned in this thread for the people in those towns. Ballina suffers from traffic congestion like any other town which involves river crossings and badly needs this kind of ring relief road, which admittedly does not need to be DC but a good quality single carriageway would be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

westtip wrote:
    The N59 is one of the most dangerous roads in the country

That's not something a ring road/bypass would fix.

westtip wrote:
    and a lot of traffic from Ballina uses it to swing up to the N4 rather than use the N5 route to Dublin,

Out on their Sunday drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

N11

Camolin
    Ferns
    Enniscorthy
    Oilgate
    Tagoat
    Kilrane

and if it were possible it would be great to sort out Kilmaganoue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

On the N25 between Waterford and Cork Castlemartyr, Killeagh and Kilmeaden (?? am I thinking of the wrong village). If these were bypassed there would be a reasonably good road all the way from Waterford to Cork, albeit a mixture of DC, 2+1 and mixed quality single lane roads. There can be horrible bottlenecks on these at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Dublin :d

mysterious wrote:
    Newcastlewest... A nasty bottleneck on NATIONAL primary route. Adare is getting worse. both in N21

Adare bypass should warrant DC at this stage. June traffic is sizzling to almost 16,500. 2+1 will be out of date when Adare get it's bypass built.

I got an email from the company in charge of the design of this road, and they said the cross-section of the road is under review. Maybe it will be DC after all as this would make sense to continue the DC past Adare.

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote:
    Claregalway on N17... snarlup of a place

I just got a new latest design map of the new N17 Galway Tuam road, which will take Claregalway out of the picture. It starts at an at grade roundabout on the N17 and heads towards about 2/3miles west of athenry. There is one junction in the middle on the N63 which has a LILO design, with access roads on the N63 about half a mile apart. It then finishes on the proposed N6 Galway-Ballinasloe road at what looks like this type of junction here. I got an email which states construction isnt expected before 2010, which would make sense as they will be finishing off the N6 at this stage then adding the N17 N/B and the N18 S/B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MG, Kilmeaden will be by-passed as part of the Waterford City bypass.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

PoolDude wrote:
    N11
    and if it were possible it would be great to sort out Kilmaganoue

nothing further is going to be done at Kilmac. It's not a great design but its not a bottleneck either. Wicklow CC wants to raise the limit there, but the NRA doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Killarney - Cork road
    Macroom, Ballyvourney need by-passing, and also the piece of $hit "road" in between those two towns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As above and bandon too needs a Proper bypass

I think better Cork-Killarney is in planning. Macroom is a joke though, and the main road does weave through the hills a lot.

Castlemartyr and Killeagh can be bad at times. Killeagh isnt **too** bad, but Castlemartyr can be a sod. I think its planned (eventually) to DC as far as Youghal, so that'll mean a bypass for both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think better Cork-Killarney is in planning. Macroom is a joke though, and the main road does weave through the hills a lot.

Castlemartyr and Killeagh can be bad at times. Killeagh isnt **too** bad, but Castlemartyr can be a sod. I think its planned (eventually) to DC as far as Youghal, so that'll mean a bypass for both.

I keep hearing that alright, DC as Part of the Atlantic corridor and as a main Link to Waterford/Rosslare it should but i cant find it written anywhere or a timetable where it will be DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

westtip wrote:
    The N59 is one of the most dangerous roads in the country
    not according to page 5 of this study
    http://www.nra.ie/PublicationsResources/DownloadableDocumentation/RoadSafety/file,1403,en.PDF
    However while I'm not saying that Taoiseach Elect Enda Kenny will put local issues ahead of national issues, but I think the N59 will somehow get the funding ahead of more dangerous roads highlighted on page 5 of this study.

It would be wise to go with a DC past Adare. The new road won't be starting for at least another 2yrs. By then traffic levels would require a DC.

• Advertisement

What kind of DC is going between Croom and Mallow. I doubt it will be HQDC, I don't think that's important, as standard DC would be fine.

Advertisement