Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ShaneU wrote: »
    After a torturous 25 page search, I still find myself asking the question, how much does a membership in Total fitness cost? (Malahide)

Approx. 425 if you're a student and 600 if you're joining as a senior member. AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dhealys

its closed now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

dhealys wrote: »
    its closed now

Where??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Anyone tried the fitness centre in Irishtown stadium or the YMCA in Sandymount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rioella

I am using a gym in Finglas at the MO.. as its handy for after work...But i have been told there is a new Gym opening in coolock can anyone confirm this, unique something...the guy is supposed to have other gyms but they are only for the real heavy weights(MUSCLE MEN)...so i hope this one is for the women,as it would be nice to have a gym to go to on weekends also, when im not in work....keeps you motivated if you know what i mean ladies!:)

If anyone has details plz let me know

• Advertisement

rioella wrote: »
    I am using a gym in Finglas at the MO.. as its handy for after work...But i have been told there is a new Gym opening in coolock can anyone confirm this, unique something...the guy is supposed to have other gyms but they are only for the real heavy weights(MUSCLE MEN)...so i hope this one is for the women,as it would be nice to have a gym to go to on weekends also, when im not in work....keeps you motivated if you know what i mean ladies!:)

If anyone has details plz let me know

Bullsh!t most likely. There's only 4 or 5 "muscle men" gym's in Dublin;

-Hercules
    -Powerhouse
    -Atlas
    -One in Ballycoolin

They're all independently owned and operated. If memory serves right, there was a hardcore gym around Dublin years back called Unique tho. I didn't think it was still operating. It might be making a comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Hanley wrote: »
    If memory serves right, there was a hardcore gym around Dublin years back called Unique tho. I didn't think it was still operating. It might be making a comeback.

the unique guys took over the old flex gym now called powerhouse, think they might be closing though

dave80 wrote: »
    the unique guys took over the old flex gym now called powerhouse, think they might be closing though

Ah yah, that would be it alright.

If memory serves right, Flex was Mo's gym? And it was where Powerhouse is now, but the landlord moved them out cos he was trying to knock the building and put apartments there. It fell thru and Powerhouse went in....?

And most of the old Flex guys now train down in Hercs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hey Guys,

Im going joining Westpoint gym in Blanch. If 3 people join it's 750 so 205 each. Otherwise 345. Just lookin here to see if anyone is interested in joining with me?

Tis a great offer

Ah yah, that would be it alright.

If memory serves right, Flex was Mo's gym? And it was where Powerhouse is now, but the landlord moved them out cos he was trying to knock the building and put apartments there. It fell thru and Powerhouse went in....?

And most of the old Flex guys now train down in Hercs!

I always taught Mo's was that basement gym near parnell square :confused:, i trained in flex for a about a year when gerry ogrady was running it, all i can remeber is that sonique song 'it feels so good' being played over and over again! :rolleyes: jesus i hate that song!

• Advertisement

I always taught Mo's was that basement gym near parnell square :confused:, i trained in flex for a about a year when gerry ogrady was running it, all i can remeber is that sonique song 'it feels so good' being played over and over again! :rolleyes: jesus i hate that song!

Hmmm you might be right actually. That was Atlas wasn't it?? I know both Gerry and Mo ended up training in Hercs when all was said and done so it's perfectly possible that I'm mixing them up.

Hmmm you might be right actually. That was Atlas wasn't it?? I know both Gerry and Mo ended up training in Hercs when all was said and done so it's perfectly possible that I'm mixing them up.

think it was atlas alright but i knew it as body systems that place has changed hands so many times i cant keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Hey Guys,

I am new to this site but would like to recommend Body Health and Fitness in Stillorgan at St. Olaf's Gaa. Its quite a small but personel gym has most machines a good weights area also has a few classes like Spinning and Box Fit the instructers are really friendly and helpfull. I've been goin there for about 2 months now and really enjoy it. :) I have been to big gyms like skellys but never felt right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dg_london

Hi
    Recently moved to Dublin from london
    Looking for a good city centre gym
    Basically want to do weight training and finally build myself up- Don't think i've ever gotten the strength i felt i could acheive in other gyms and basically left

Have looked at SV-fitness and Westpoint- both so expensive and out of my way plus i;ve been in those gyms before and actually found them isolating so just drifted away

Considering Pinnacle or World gym as have heard there very focused on weight training

Few questions which if could be answered would be great
    1) Will either of these places make me out a program to start with and can they help you monitor your progress as you go along?
    2) I will most prob be training by myself- is that a big problem to start with or should you always have someone to spot you?
    3) Can anyone recommend a website or book whose plans i can follow?
    4) What are the hours like for the above two gyms as am hoping to train in the early am ie 8
    5) Have been told by colleagues at work that the above 2 gyms can get a rough crowd which i think is bullsh*t as any gym can have that but would be interested in opinions
    6) What are opinions on personal trainers in these gyms?

Am really trying to do this and get my body under control again so if you have an opinion on the above i'd really appreciate it

Cheers

DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Unless a new World gym has opened up then the one you're thinking of moved several years ago from Talbot St. out to Drumcondra and is now called Apollo Gym.

Sorry wasn't world gym meant to write Hercules

dg_london wrote: »
    Hi
    Basically want to do weight training and finally build myself up- Don't think i've ever gotten the strength i felt i could acheive in other gyms and basically left

Have looked at SV-fitness and Westpoint- both so expensive and out of my way plus i;ve been in those gyms before and actually found them isolating so just drifted away

Considering Pinnacle or World gym as have heard there very focused on weight training

1) Will either of these places make me out a program to start with and can they help you monitor your progress as you go along?
    2) I will most prob be training by myself- is that a big problem to start with or should you always have someone to spot you?
    4) What are the hours like for the above two gyms as am hoping to train in the early am ie 8
    5) Have been told by colleagues at work that the above 2 gyms can get a rough crowd which i think is bullsh*t as any gym can have that but would be interested in opinions

Am really trying to do this and get my body under control again so if you have an opinion on the above i'd really appreciate it

Cheers

DG

1) You won't find anyone to write you a program in Hercs. Nor will you find any instructors there. It's a lifters gym, and most people there know what they're doing, or at least train with smeone who does.

2) No, it's not a problem. If you ever do need a spot, all you have to do is ask and someone will oblige.

3) Starting strength is probably the way to go.

4) Hercs doesn't open til 9 or 10am as far as I know. Maybe a little earlier. Downstairs, with all the power equipments, closes at 7. Upstairs between 9 and 9.30.

5) Bullsh!t. Your mates are idiots. Sure, there's guys I wouldn't cross. But they also happen to be some of the best and most dedicated training partners going. Unless you start slagging them, bringing the guards in and pointing fingers, chances are they won't even talk to you.

6) Personal trainer, in Hercs??? Baaaaaaaaahahahahahaha :D:D:D

Hi

Cheers

DG

your only short of asking someone to lift the weights for you!!:D

heres my advise:

1) Join a gym

2) Read starting strength

3) Monitor your own Progress

Simple as that!!

your only short of asking someone to lift the weights for you!!:D

heres my advise:

1) Join a gym

2) Read starting strength

3) Monitor your own Progress

Simple as that!!

+1

This line in particular worried me;

Don't think i've ever gotten the strength i felt i could acheive in other gyms and basically left

Hercs has no special properties that make the weights there more conductive to muscle building like.

Hi
    Thanks for the replies-

Prob not at stage where am looking for someone to lift weights for me yet....why are you interested? :p

Seriously tho-that was good advice

Feel by the sounds of it there prob is more support for a beginner in Pinnacle

Do you mind if i ask you guys which gym ye attend and why?

Thanks again

DG

• Advertisement

Hi
    Thanks for the replies-

Prob not at stage where am looking for someone to lift weights for me yet....why are you interested? :p

Seriously tho-that was good advice

Feel by the sounds of it there prob is more support for a beginner in Pinnacle

Do you mind if i ask you guys which gym ye attend and why?

Thanks again

DG

I'm a Hercs guy. I train there because it's the best powerlifting gym in Ireland, and has the best lifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What on earth did you go handing out 900 euro for? I wouldn't pay that for a gym even if the floors were made of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

900 euro for 1 year ! crazy money

Yes, but you knew that before you handed it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

I'm a UCD student looking to join a gym, but don't really rate the Crunch Fitness in UCD.

Anyone have views on the Glenroyal Hotel Gym?

Also, if I was to join the Crunch Fitness Premier in Clonsilla, is there any entitlement to use the other Crunch gyms?

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niall a

hi all
    just wondering if ye could recommend a pay as you go gym with SQ racks and oly weights (also allow Deadlifting) as i need to break up the routine of working out at home. somewhere near Dublin 7 or 9 would be good

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

vibez wrote: »
    Howdie folks,

Just starting a tread to find out whats the best gym in Dublin/Leinster. I recently joined the National Aquadic Centre in Blanch and i must say i am impressed so far.

With the like of Total Fitness & Westpoint on the doorstep of the NAC people thaught i was crazy joinin.

Full membership was a reasonable €440 and id say 99% of classes are free for members.

Weight area isnt to bad, and machines are in fairly good condition.

Peak times are never over full either which is nice, ive heard Total fitness can be hectic!

How do you rate your Gym?

Hey man, I train in Power House in Dominic Street. How can I describe Power House, well if your looking for some heavy ar** weight and an atmosphere that makes you want to train til you drop it’s the place to be. It’s an old school gym with lots of heavy weight. I have been training there since it was on Moore Street and I have to say that the most of the lads in there are cool, apart from one or two ticks who think that they are the dogs bo**** but you get them in every gym. I train there 5 days a week and the best times would be in the evening around 6 onwards. Membership is €50-60 up front and then €12 per week. This is not bad at all. Rumors are flying around that it will be closing in a year or so and that leads me to Total Fitness in Castleknock, membership is a little bit on the high side but if your looking for a gym with all the top equipment it’s the place to be.

Happy Lifting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

niall a wrote: »
    hi all
    just wondering if ye could recommend a pay as you go gym with SQ racks and oly weights (also allow Deadlifting) as i need to break up the routine of working out at home. somewhere near Dublin 7 or 9 would be good

cheers

Hey Niall, Power House on Dominic Street (just up from the Ilac Centre). SQ Racks and lots of heavy ar** weights. Works out at about €12 per week if you join or you can pay €5 per day or I think €20 per week. Go there and ask fro Mick and tell him that Keith from pronutrition told you to go there. He is cool and will look after ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Are you able to pay monthly at Total Fitness in Blanchardstown?

If so, what's the rate?

I was a member there a couple of years ago, but I was a student then and paid for a year up front. I'm thinking of going back to it, but would prefer to pay by the month just to be flexible if I move.

Thanks for any help.

LookingFor wrote: »
    Are you able to pay monthly at Total Fitness in Blanchardstown?

If so, what's the rate?

I was a member there a couple of years ago, but I was a student then and paid for a year up front. I'm thinking of going back to it, but would prefer to pay by the month just to be flexible if I move.

Thanks for any help.

Pretty sure you can't tbh. Call in and check.

you COULD pay by direct debit and cancel it if you move, but you'd be breaking a legally binding contract and that's not right. But they did just put the price of a bottle of powerade up to €2, so I don't give a sh!t about what's right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

But you can pay monthly by direct debit? If you sign a year's contract, I guess?

Do you know what that monthly payment is by any chance?

I'll drop into them sometime this week I guess, but it might be nice to know ahead of time.

Cheers for your help.

Advertisement