Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Band...of all time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DaveyWavey22

Totally Tool for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jiggingjauntis

I can't believe we're at post 63 and no has mentioned the Smiths yet? They are without a doubt one of the finest bands ever and prehaps the most deserving of the "best band of all time" tag. It would be hard to think of a band since them that hasn't been in someway influenced by their lyrics or musical style or indeed enjoys a devoted fan base.

Tool are a fine band. I'm not really mad about metal but their music is at least though provoking and attempts to do something novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

This forum is for "your" favourite band of all not time not the "best band of all time". I like the The Smiths too but my favourite band of all time would be one their manc contemporaries and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Favourite band: The Beatles....so much invention, so much fantastic music, and a productivity and quality rate that leaves everyone else far behind. The Smiths? Marr is a lovely guitarist, and Morrissey is a real PITA. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

I'd like to big up the Dave Matthews Band also. Wouldn't be immediately liked by most people, they're an aquired taste. Once your in though, you won't regret it. Such a great mix of styles with some amazingly crafted songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Cremo wrote:
    my favourite would be weezer. although i only like 2 out of their 5 albums their first 2 were i think the best two albums of the 90's and they have such a back catalog of songs that have never surfaced - this makes me cling on to them hoping they'll release them :p.

radiohead i never really got into but i do realise their greatness i like a few of their songs but to a radiohead it would the main "radio" type songs like street spirit, karma police, paranoid android etc.

yeah weezer is my all time favourite also. there is a massive 3gig collection of all their demos floating around cyberspace. pm me if you want to find them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Foo Fighters, because I do :P

Weezer: Some brilliant anthems mixed with mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Has to be weezer. Their first two albums and the b-sides/demos from that era are what justify them being my favourite band. Their overall output ranges from magnificent to terrible (Maladroit!!!) but the good stuff is incredible and overshadows the crap for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Boo-yah wrote:
    Has to be weezer. Their first two albums and the b-sides/demos from that era are what justify them being my favourite band. Their overall output ranges from magnificent to terrible (Maladroit!!!) but the good stuff is incredible and overshadows the crap for me.
    nice to see a bit of a weezer fanbase floating around boards;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Boo-yah wrote:

I'd have to say that I personally find the Green Album far worse than Maladroit. But still the Blue Album and Pinkerton are a different class. Great band Weezer, though I admit I don't listen to them half as much as I used to.

Man this thread has really taken off! :D Any chance it could be sticky'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Ween are my fave band of all time. I started off listening to Chocolate and Cheese after hearing them on Beavis and Butthead. Amazing album! Each of their albums are wonderful and weird!!

I would say they are picking up newer fans in Eire now thanks to the Club Orange ad. Hopefully they will play here again on their next European tour.

Weezer - Loved the first 3 albums, the last 2 were poo! I saw them in Brixton last year but have to say I was disappointed after such a long wait to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

SONIC YOUTH!!!!!

Seriously some of the most amazing music ever, Daydream Nation is an absolute masterpiece, takes a while to get into it and it's essential that you listen to the whole thing through every time(for me anyway), but immensly rewarding. They're more commercial stuff isn't bad either. Goo is a fantastic album.

An honourable mention goes to thhe Meat Puppets. Meat Puppets 2 and Up on the Sun are two of the most influential and original albums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Red Hot Chili Peppers.. older era and the new stuff.

I got Daydream Nation out of the library a few months ago and loved it, nearly all tracks are great with the exception of Providence but absolutley loved Teenage Riot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

exiot wrote:
    I got Daydream Nation out of the library a few months ago and loved it, nearly all tracks are great with the exception of Providence but absolutley loved Teenage Riot
    Providence is a brilliant interlude in the album. As I mentioned earlier, DN is really something that should be enjoyed as a whole album rather than taking it track by track. Teen Age Riot is indeed a kickass and catchy tune, in the context of the album it serves as a great, bright opener before it gets a bit more punkish and obscure with Silver Rocket. Providence on it's own is an all right alternative effort, but in the context of the whole album it serves as a nice and necessary interlude, a break from the generally fast, noisy and raw earlier tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

sister is sonic youth's best album!daydeam nation is great but u gotta be dedicated,well then again it is painfully epic.Sister juxtaposes their beautiful and distorted sound into a vibrant junkyard burning bright of adrenaline,anguish,rage and sensual permutations...defintely my personal fav band..hard to imagine them having that sound without the velvet undergrounds existence/influence.

other my fav and their best albums;
    Squarepusher-ultravistor:its an odyssey {intelligent brain dance music}where ur conscience becomes the vocal and emotional pulse in the ambient landscape that is a modern internalization much like John Keats poetry.Ryan Adams-heartbreaker:wanna be moved,feeling romantic or downheartened,listen to this{I dont know why so many people hate him-jealousy?},Wilco-Yankee hotel foxtrot:one year nonstop listening to this album,its become apart of me.Any album by John Coltrane is genius,even if u dont dig jazz,the music is still transcendent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

The Clash are my favourite band because they made music that mattered to me, cared about their fans and never let themselves get cornered into anything. Plus they always made sure their albums were dead cheap.. A triple album for the price of one? Pure class.

John Coltrane: A pure unadulterated genius, A Love Supreme is one of the finest jazz albums ever made. Cant decide whether he was better with Miles or by himself though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 serutan

Since 1988 my favourite band have been The Wedding Present bordering on obsessive. Wonderful lyrics, great music and a must see live.

The Clash, as I didn't listen to them when I was growing up I missed out on them. Waht I've heard has been pretty good though.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Stone Roses! River cools where I belong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

serutan wrote:
    Since 1988 my favourite band have been The Wedding Present bordering on obsessive. Wonderful lyrics, great music and a must see live.

possibly my second or third favourite band since around the same time. Every gig they've (plus Cinerama) played here (1988 - 2006) has been amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 psycho_Bateman

my all time favourite band is The Smiths, im absolutely addicted to them, completely. morrissey & marr possibly the most original duo ever like mc cartney and lennon without the pretentiousness. the smiths basically changed my life really and that deserves recognition and moz is possibly the most honest man ive even heard of.

(sorry about the rant i get a little :rolleyes: about them)

stone roses are a great band, i love that semi psychedelic funky melodic approach they had to rock and the fact that they never seemed to give a toss, browns solo stuff is really intelligent but the stone roses had the stronger attraction to me musically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Placebo for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Placebo for me!

*high five*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Neville Flynn

The flaming lips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

The Mars Volta - for me, the only band to have made any real progression in music in the last 10 years, doing something totally different. (Also have to mention the Chilis, just for continuing to produce thoughtful pop songs of craft and energy)

The Flaming Lips - wonderfully fun band to listen to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CheersDarlin'

The Libertines or Bright Eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Mine's the same as the poster above so it saves me doing half of the work :)

It'd have to be Bright Eyes for me too, I wasn't hugely fond of "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" - it's just a bot too 'polished' for me, especially compared to "Digital Ash In A Digital Urn" and "Lifted, Or, The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground" - his finest works in my opinion. His various EPs all contained tracks easily strong enough for studio albums. Only 24, 25 and has been coming up with great tracks for years... would be great to see live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

^ Not particularly into those two....probably because I haven't listened to much of either

For me it's Pearl Jam, love the versatility of their music.

- Placebo are a growing favourite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Never really got into Pearl Jam but love Black and Jeremy

My favourite band of all time is Oasis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭icklekinkykat

the cure love them

Advertisement