Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Band...of all time!

Options
  • 01-08-2006 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Taking influence from the recent thread started by CollectingVinyl in which he expresses his love for REM and how he thinks they are the best Alternative Rock band....of all time!

The thread received a lot replies with mixed opinions on the "brilliance" of REM. So heres an idea;

-->Name your number 1 favourite band...of all time (only 1 now, not your top three or anything)

-->And then share your opinion of the favourite band of the person who posted just before you.

Lets see who loves what, who knows what, and who has what in common:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Ha! Sorry just realised it would have been a good idea for me to name my favourite band.

**drum roll please**

And the award goes to..............SONIC YOUTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Mine goes to Tool

Sonic Youth is one of those bands I have always threatened to get into but never fully realised the threat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Mine goes to Tool

Sonic Youth is one of those bands I have always threatened to get into but never fully realised the threat....

my favourite band/artist is Bob Dylan. Surely can be regarded as a band given that he performed extensively over the years with such bands as The Grateful Dead and The Band. Also all of his touring and recording in the last 25 years has been with a well-turned out band.

I agree with last poster about sonic youth. I never quite bought one of their albums.
    as for tool, a heavy rock band with very little finesse.

With a name like MrJones I was expecting you to say Pixies :D

Yeah Bob Dylan definitely counts! Well he does in my book anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

is that song not called Mr Grieves or am i missing a joke in there!
    The Pixies were good too but more for the short sharp rocks songs whereas dylan has done it all twice over.
    Rich_Why wrote:
    With a name like MrJones I was expecting you to say Pixies :D

Yeah Bob Dylan definitely counts! Well he does in my book anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Yeah Bob dylans quite good, I know a lot of people who think he is literaly the greatest song writer of all time, I respect that , he does seem to tell great storys with his music and his tunes are very well written , coherant etc.. he's just not my cup of tea.
    I'll go with 'The Mars Volta' for my favourite band, I was gonna say tool but someone already said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Smashing Pumpkins.

May not listen to them very often any more, but they'll always hold the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Fall

are my favourite band and have been since 1985.

John Peel introduced me to the band by playing their new single Cruisers Creek that September. I had just started second year in school and was eager for some new music. I was immediately sucked in and got This Nation's Saving Grace that Christmas.
    By the middle of 1986 I had caught up on the back catalogue and have buying everything by them ever since.

Smashing Pumpkins - good band. Gish was a terrible debut but they got better. Adore is my favourite album of theirs. Machina II is pretty interesting too. Rotten Apples is possibly the greatest best of ever. The bonus disc is cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Einstuerzende Neubauten. By and far my favourite band ever. Such a range of music, all of it of a quality unmatched by most mortals. Continually breaking barriers and opening my ears to music that I don't think I would have had the stomach for had I not gotten into their work.

The Fall are a band with a frighteningly huge back catalogue. What I've heard so far has amazed and perplexed me, all of it is great. Definitely a band I need more albums by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

I've no idea what to say on that^ but my favourite band of all time is Manic Street Preachers. Don't listen to them as much in recent times but they'll always be my favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Garret wrote:
    I've no idea what to say on that^ but my favourite band of all time is Manic Street Preachers. Don't listen to them as much in recent times but they'll always be my favourites.

my favourite band of all time is radiohead.

i really like the manic street preachers, and the holy bible is one of my favourite albums of all time!

John2 wrote:
    Einstuerzende Neubauten. By and far my favourite band ever. .

they are a band ive always said to myself that i need to listen to. hasn't happened yet though. they seem like quite an intimidating band to get into. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Go to this page and have a listen to a free streaming best of compilation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my favourite would be weezer. although i only like 2 out of their 5 albums their first 2 were i think the best two albums of the 90's and they have such a back catalog of songs that have never surfaced - this makes me cling on to them hoping they'll release them :p.

radiohead i never really got into but i do realise their greatness i like a few of their songs but to a radiohead it would the main "radio" type songs like street spirit, karma police, paranoid android etc.

John2 wrote:

cheers. i'll report back later!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my favourite would have to be dance hall crashers, simply great, from the ashes of the first ever ska punk band comes an(in my mind) an even better act, wish they'd tour again.

I really enjoy weezer too, i think they WERE horribly under rated for years but now I think they're getting a bit of the recognition they deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

my favourite band of all time is radiohead.

Coincidentally that is my favorite band is Radiohead too. Their music varies in style hugely as they progress from basic rock to electronic. Love em completely

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My favourite band are Talking Heads - I live in hope that they'll all make up and be friends and then go on tour, just like the Pixies did. I suspect I may be waiting some time...

I have never heard of Dance Hall Crashers, so I'm unable to pass any sort of comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

My fav are probably Nirvana. Never ever disapointed me with any songs/albums. Fantastic legacy too. Nothing much else to say really, everyone has an opinion on Nirvana...

It's not a kop out btw picking Nirvana, i know it seems like an easy choice but overall i think they're the best thing to happen to indie/rock/grunge for my generation. They are one of the few bands on the planet that changed music imo and they paved the way for many.

Talking Heads....only familar with their charty tracks. When their best off came out i considered making the purchase. It's on my hitlist :)

Great thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

My favourite band are Nirvana.......i might not listen to them for a good few weeks on the trot but i always find my way back to them and they are certainly the band that i have given over the most hours to listen to in my life.... A huge influence growing up.....

Talking Heads- haven't heard many of there songs except the hits. Was at a Bellx1 concert where they played some David Byrne song, possibly Talking Heads, on repeat over the pa for about an hour before the show....... i was pretty happy when it finally ended ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Hmmm id have to say Radiohead, brilliant in their prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Kabuto

I'd have to go with Ween. Such a diverse band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

John2 wrote:
    Einstuerzende Neubauten. By and far my favourite band ever. Such a range of music, all of it of a quality unmatched by most mortals. Continually breaking barriers and opening my ears to music that I don't think I would have had the stomach for had I not gotten into their work.

They sound good! I mean.. you make them out to be good, I havent heard them yet. Its a damn shame my cousin cant seem to get a hold of any of there stuff

I'd have to say my no.1 are the doors. I found a few songs of theres i havent heard lately and theyre fantastic. Peace Frogs and The Ghost Song to name two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Mine would have to be the whole Joy Division/New Order Family Tree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Whipping Boy
    Started off as another sonic youth/MBV rip off (altough a rather good one) but went on to produce quite possibly the best album of all time the band were the perfect mix of light and dark of hope and dispair. unfortunatly the band fell apart before the release of their third album. fortunatly they recently reunited and put on some great gigs recently hopefuly a new album will follow.

as for Joy Division/New Order they are fantastic and the second greatest band to come out of manchester (the fall being first)

Sweet! Nice to see this thread has gone down well!:D

DerekD Goldfish, are you refering to the 80's punk Whipping Boy or the Irish Whipping Boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I think New Order are great too, Crystal, Blue Monday are savage songs. my favourite song of theirs is Age Of Consent.

My favourite bands ever is Interpol. Loved there music for ages then saw them live and they asserted themselves as my fave, best gig ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I've just decided I don't have one I like far too many bands and artists from different genres to just choose one. I change my mind allot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

ThrownAway wrote:
    I've just decided I don't have one I like far too many bands and artists from different genres to just choose one. I change my mind allot too.

Yeah I have the same problem, I go through phases of thinking X are the greatest band in the world. Incidently, the Police are the greatest band in the world:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

John2 wrote:

Liking the sound of some of them, but for some reason I think itll be hard to get my hands on a cd

And I have no idea what to choose as my favourite band, I like too many!!

Advertisement