Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Band...of all time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I would have to go with Wilco, they have changed style so many times and brought out so many great albums like Being there, Summerteeth and yankee hotel foxtrot. Two of my favourite ever live performances were by them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Rich_Why wrote:

DerekD Goldfish, are you refering to the 80's punk Whipping Boy or the Irish Whipping Boy?

The Irish one

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

Mine would be dropkick murphys, if you really listen to them they make you laugh and feel good there brilliant and funny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well, band is it? I can't justify calling Neil Young a band, so I'll pick someone else.

*turns on mp3 player*

ah crap all my favourite artists are technically not bands. Anyway, I'm going to say Crosby Stills Nash & Young. They started off soooooo good. Then destroyed each other through fighting, then had moderate success with splinter groups (Crosby & Nash, Manassas, Still Young Band etc). Still for a time they were the greatest band in the world. CSN - Deja Vu - Four Way Street. They were a major voice of the late 60s counter-culture.

On to the Dropkick Murphys - they are crass, repetetive, and personally I have no interest in ever hearing them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Has to be Radiohead, IMO no other band can touch them. Plus you never know which musical direction they're likely to head next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

maxitwist wrote:
    Mine would be dropkick murphys, if you really listen to them they make you laugh and feel good there brilliant and funny

great act but flogging molly i think habe the boston irish punk thing tied up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Smashing Pumpkins all the way. :)
    Liked them since I was 11, I'm 22 now. Their records are so diverse and Billy is one heck of a songwriter, despite what get's written about him. Roll on the new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tomohawk wrote:
    Mine would have to be the whole Joy Division/New Order Family Tree...

Yip, me too. Although, even though New Order are over 25 years old now, I would have little interest in any of their stuff since 1989/90 (although in fairness, they were pretty much split up between 1993 and 1998 and it took another three years then for them to release Get Ready). Republic has the odd good song - Young Offender is vintage NO and Regret was a great single. Bought Get Ready - brought it back. Very disappointing, except for Crystal which is fabulous, but the CD single is enough. Had a listen off Waiting For The Siren's Call. Not impressed. Don't think they've got "it" anymore but that's cool. The period post Joy Division to 1989 makes up for that. Incredible band in the eighties - an influence on so many bands/musicians across so many genres. And of course Joy Division - just genius.
    Nearly tying with JD/NO are Primal Scream (Screamadelica is my favourite album of all time) and Lush - purveyors of the most gorgeous music you could imagine between 1988 and 1994. Then they went all Brit-poppy in 1996 (I suppose the time had come when they needed to start earning a crust) and just were not the same. Sadly, their drummer committed suicide in October 1996. I can't recommend their stuff highly enough between 88 and 94, though. Stunning stuff. They were on 4AD too - class record label. And even though I'm a heterosexual female, I'd nearly give their lead singer one - she was hot!!! Her name is Miki Berenyi (half Japanese, half Hungarian). Look her up, guys/girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pearl Jam. Don't listen to them quite as much these days but they were/have been my favourite band for about 12 years or so. Great singer, great songs, great musicians, brilliant live. Nuff said.

From above^ don't know if I should be commenting on Pumpkins or Joy Div/New Order so a quick word on both should suffice.

Only semi-familiar with the whole Joy/New Ord thing. Would know a fair few of their songs like most people would, but don't have any of their albums. Not a fan as such, but wouldn't dislike them either.

As for Smashing Pumpkins, very much a fan of those guys. Have all the albums bar Machina II. Mellon Collie is one of the great albums of the last 20 years. The new stuff will be interesting, the band lineup for the recording sessions shouldn't matter as Billy always dominates that anyway. Once he has Chamberlin on drums he's happy. But the official lineup once they unveil themselves and go on tour (assuming there will be a tour) remains to be seen. Very little chance of Darcy being involved, not sure about Iha. He was playing with (the excellent) A Perfect Circle last I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I haven't sampled alot of older music, but my favourite band of all time is placebo. Love those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Tough call but it's Weezer for me too. There's something about them that just gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

When I seen the first few posts of this tread I agreed that Bob Dylan would be my favourite! But then I started to think what about the beatles, led zepplin, neil young or pearl jam, but i'm gonna stick with bob, cause he's a master at what he does! Followed closely by led Zepplin! Class band!

I like some weezer songs, they're very catchy but haven't gotten into them in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A bit of an 'obvious' choice maybe, but I'd honestly have to say The Beatles.

Help! was one of the first albums I ever listened too -- after hearing an admittedly dreadful cover version of the title track on TV as a wee lad and thinking it was fantastic, my dad pulled out the old LP and I was hooked.

So many albums and not one of them any less than a masterpiece. Other bands / albums come and go from my 'favourite band of the moment', but there's always time for Beatles.

(Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Radiohead also deserve a mention).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

For me,Pink Floyd.

Such an amazing band,I've never enjoyed any music as much as I enjoy listening to the Floyd.So many classic songs and they have produced some of the greatest albums of all time.Completely stole the show at live 8,I would absolutely love to see them live some day,but probably wont :(

Great lyrics and great music,so well crafted.

EDIT: Apologies,i didnt see that we were supposed to give our opinions on the favourite of the person posting before us.

I absolutely love the beatles,originally i had only heard their early pop songs,which I wasnt a fan of,and as such thought that they were over-rated,but i then bought Sgt.Peppers and got more into their later stuff and then in turn began to appreciate their earlier work.They're fantastic and one of my favourites along with Floyd,Zeppelin and Neil Young.They have such memorable songs,so many classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

The Mars Volta, for being far out.

youll be happy to hear that pink floyd are also one of my favourites, good man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Try stick to the idea guys. Name your favourite band then give your opinion on the previous person favourite band. I've come to realise there's a lot of peeps on this forum that really know their music. So giving your opinion and reading others is the whole idea here.

For example when John2, our all powerful and all wise Mod mentioned the fabulous Einstuerzende Neubauten, replies show major interest and I'm sure some people went off and looked them up!:D

My opinion on Pink Floyd may be obvious if anyone read my comments after Syd died. I grew up listening to Floyd, they were my favourite band for years. They thought me to open my mind and helped me appreciate the beauty of music. I know your probably thinking how I went from that to saying Sonic Youth are my favourite now, but when I grew up I realised that Floyd's music, as beautiful as it is, the word's mean nothing personally to me. They make me question things like society among other things. But Sonic Youth talk to a part in the back of my head that very few others can. From beauty to noise eh! What can I say the noise talks to me more!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

Sonic Youth - Quality band, haven't fully digested them yet but goo and daydream nation are really great. looking forward to listening to more recent stuff at some point. (spurious link: big fan of jim o'rourke)

My favourite band of all time are Super Furry Animals. The have all the things i consider interesting in all the various other types of music i listen to: most importantly fantastic songwriting sensibilities, great musicians and singers, blend traditional pop/rock instrumentation with modern electronic/dance influence/great image/i could go on all day. Most importantly i think across 7 albums (plus 1 solo album and 1 b-sides album) theyre are consistently brilliant and i would struggle to think of a weak tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Belle and Sebastian.Because you don't need a reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

The Automatic, I think that songs very catchy,

Belle and sebastion: got them mixed up with Dolce and Giabanne or whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

The Automatic?...of all time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

Smashing Pumpkins - Darcys breasts during Adore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Radiohead for me. For some reason, I used to dismiss them as 'depressing' and conform to the general prejudice against them brought about probably by that scene from Father Ted, thinking only monster bands like the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd should qualify for 'best band of all time' titles. But I genuinely have not heard a band better than Radiohead. The way The Bends sucks you in, only for OK Computer to blow you away. The Beatles are so highly regarded because they managed to evolve, but Kid A goes beyond evolution - it's simply one of the most engaging records ever made IMO. And that's only half the story. They are just so good.

As for the Smashing Pumpkins, I am definitely a fan - and Mellon Collie has long been one of my favourite albums, but I must admit I do get a little jaded with their music pretty quickly if I listen to it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

originally posted by Attractive Nun
    The way The Bends sucks you in, only for OK Computer to blow you away.

A load of sucking and blowing, a lot of people would that about their music...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Favourites would have to be Placebo. Thoroughly enjoyed all their live performances and have not grown tired of their albums over the past 7 years since I started listening to them.

Radiohead - also a great band. Saw them on their Big Top Tour? i think in Punchestown several years ago and really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Bruce Springsteen and the E street band

I know very little of Placebo,i always get them confused with Muse for some reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lufc100

For me its gotta be the Super furry animals, consistently brillant & have yet to put out a bad or average album. Been at the top of the game now for over 10 years,
    SFA OK

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

lufc100 wrote:
    For me its gotta be the Super furry animals, consistently brillant & have yet to put out a bad or average album. Been at the top of the game now for over 10 years,
    SFA OK

agreed although I think love kraft is leaning towards average tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Dave Matthews Band... saw them live at The Alpine Music Centre in June, almost 50,000 people. It was well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For me at the moment, it has to be the Smashing Pumpkins*

Dave Matthews Band: Dont know their music at all but know the name. A band I want to get into. Give me time please!

*give me 5 mins and it'll be Alice in Chains again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

ball ox wrote:
    agreed although I think love kraft is leaning towards average tbh

i love the super furries, and i agree - love kraft is their worst. which doesn't make it a bad album or anything.....

radiator>phantom power>fuzzy logic>guerrilla>mwng>rings around the world>love kraft

and love kraft is still a great album! what a great band...

Advertisement