Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most appauling driving I have ever seen

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

WizZard wrote:
    Clearly it is. You are 19. At most you can have 3 years experience on the road. I would say by your attitude and posting that you have less than 2. 13 hours of instruction is to be commended, but it should at least be required. In fact, I'd say 20 should be the legal minimum.

I have ~10 years experience driving on the road, yet still each week I learn something new, either about (defensive) driving habits, or the driving habits of other people. The cars I've driven have been very mixed, from 1.4l <100bhp cars to 3l >340bhp sports cars, giving me firsthand experience of the difference power makes (in both good and bad ways). I've also driven in various countries and in many different conditions, including snow, heavy rain, etc; and on many different road surfaces, including loose base gravel which hadn't been properly laid by a county council (I wasn't expecting that I can tell you - no "Slow" signs put up til the next day :()

I consider myself intelligent, and consider myself a good driver, but I will never, ever think that I know everything there is to know about driving. Simply because I can't always predict what will happen. Reread some of the posts in this thread with an open mind and you may learn something new.

Your reaction times (most likely) haven't been tested yet in the Real World™, nor do I hope they ever are in a serious/dangerous situation, especially one where you lose control of your vehicle.

And OP, I would consider 10% slower than the limit to be an acceptable speed to be driving at.

12 months experience. I don't know everything and never said I do.

My reaction times have benn tested by:
    a) a kid running after a football- who lived to tell the tale (we'e all done it as kids)

b) some stupid 40 something woman who didn't look at a crossroads and pulled right across me at 5-7m away. I was watching her which is why I slowed and was able to stop. The 2 Gardaí that saw her reluctantly pulled her over and checked out my details too, don't know what happened after that.

I know driving as with life; is a continuous learning streak which is why my above mentioned motorway close shave and the time I ran pedestrian lights have contributed to my driving.

I just have a problem with people, who under normal free flowing driving circumstances as the OP don't utilise the limit.
    nereid wrote:
    So no schools go for "nature walks" to the local park, go on school tours that leave/arrive back outside the hours specified, have extra curricular activities that take place outside of the hours specified, hold plays/activities in the school hall?

There are many after hours classes, evening classes etc that go on in schools too.

Not primary schools anymore because of insurance and paoerwork hassle. Written consent from parents/guardians is now required to go outside the school gate or the law is being broken. Each permit is valid only for one trip and if one student doesn't have one nobody goes. I had to do a child protection course, sad but true that it's not like when I was 5 or 6.

Nightime events generally cause traffic mayhem (I've been a carpark attendant at a few school events), the carpark fills and there's overspill on the roads mreaning you can't progress as normal anyway.

I factored sports and study into the 5:30 timeline

[quote=
    Fey!] 13 hours is NOTHING! Most of us will have done that preparing for our tests anyway. I really hope that I never meet you on the road; your cockiness makes you a health hazard to others, IMO.

[/quote]

13 hours is a damn sight more than most people who are clueless as to what a clutch actually is might take, if they evn do bother. More likely a brother or sister will teach them or boyfriend/girlfriend.

13 hours isn't a lot but it probably gives me an edge on 500,000 people on the roads in terms of tuition.

I don't think the test is suitable or sufficient, but as soon as anything is done people will complain that this or that is too strict, and don't go judging us by everyone else's standards. Our driving environment is different from that on the continent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not primary schools anymore because of insurance and paoerwork hassle. Written consent from parents/guardians is now required to go outside the school gate or the law is being broken.

That's not true. Many primary schools have After schools clubs. Many second level schools are open til 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

ninty9er wrote:

Not primary schools anymore because of insurance and paoerwork hassle. Written consent from parents/guardians is now required to go outside the school gate or the law is being broken. Each permit is valid only for one trip and if one student doesn't have one nobody goes. I had to do a child protection course, sad but true that it's not like when I was 5 or 6.

13 hours isn't a lot but it probably gives me an edge on 500,000 people on the roads in terms of tuition.

God, but you're an amazing wee man! You have everything accounted for.

Do you think the law isn't broken and that all kids remain dutifully inside school gates when they should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ninety9er

just for your info

if you happen to run over a kiddie in front of the school outside the "regular hours" as posted by you, you will NOT be able to apportion part of the blame to the kid, just it was there when it shouldn't have been according to your timetable.

Tell me this ...where do you get your absolute confidence and certainty from?
    Is it something you stir into your wheetabix every morning?

You scare me ...really, really scare me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Can somebody take pity and close this thread?
    This guy is not able to take in what is wrong and at this point to keep at him is bordering on cruelty.
    He is getting a similar kicking on another thread.
    If he's not a troll he is going to end up with a complex.

My 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I rarely take anything personally, I just get on with life. In particular after getting told to "go away and kill yourself for the sake of the rest of the world" I just was a bit taken aback, but in fairness I've made up with the guy but I'll never forget it.

People who've slated me usually end up having to apologise (most recently my assistant manager, previously the director of the company, and the list goes on) so I take pleasur in furthering myself and leaving them in the rear view mirror of my life.

I still go on the basis of; "it costs nothing to be nice" especially as if at some stage in the future I happen to need anybody for a favour I haven't p1ssed them off.

Nothing you can say on this forum will cause me to lose sleep, and I can argue with you on these issues and get on quite well with you.

I'm a member of Fianna Fáil who doesn't believe in 32 county republic. If I can survive that a little thrashing from unknowns wont' hurt me.

Okay schools stay open late and kids mitch.

back to the point

My whole point is you don't have to crawl along to observe these things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And on that note.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement