Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most appauling driving I have ever seen

Options
  • 17-07-2006 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Was coming home tonight through Kilkenny, doing 90km/h in a 100km/h area.
    Double continuous white lines in the centre of the road.
    Decently wide hard shoulder.

Up comes this black car behind me, stuck up my hole(could not see her head lights, let alone the fog lights in my RV mirror). So I slowed down to 80km/h so she could pass, but obviously she knew it's illegal to overtake on a continuous white line. so I look in my right wing mirror, and she's gone!
    Look straight ahead of me again and there she is, shooting up the hard shoulder, undertaking me, looking accross at me and beeping her horn and giving me the fingers.
    I was in such awe I didn't even beep my horn at her. By the time i realised what had happened, she was about 250 yards ahead of me and I only caught a bit of her number plate. It was a 03 D black peugeot..possible a 307?? Small anyway.

I tried to speed up to get the rest of her plate, but I had no chance, as I was just about to hit the 50km/h limit sign, but that wasn't about to slow her down.
    I tried to speed up and catch her when I got back to the 100km/h limit area, but it was no use whatsoever.

The girl(driving) had glasses, long blond/red hair, kinda chubby(fingers) and looked to be about mid-late 20's.

If she is reading this I have one thing to say: You are an idiot and a truly stupid bitch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

now its people like that who should be off the roads, i hate that

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Or the guy I had last night - I'm travelling on the N81 back to Dublin, just after dusk. By a stroke of massive misfortune I end up behind a tractor & trailer, closely followed by a jeep with a trailer. I had pulled out from Donard and met them straight away, and if you know that bit of road, it's windy, badly-surfaced and generally any traffic is impassable for about 3km, especially a 40m blockage like what I had. So we're coming up to the standard overtaking section - it's a piece of dead straight, slightly wider and well surfaced road. You can see oncoming traffic for at least 400m. Except that a big part of it now has a continuous white line. A large amount of cars have built up behind me. I'm getting ready to pull out, and next thing there's a guy attempting to overtake about 15 cars.

Now I had just been able to see down the road, so there's no way he had full visibility when he started the manouver. He's also blatantly ignored the continuous white line. And he's slowing down and speeding up, and swerving slightly - still unsure as to whether he should overtake everyone or pull back into the line of traffic. In the end he overtakes everyone, but net result is that myself and about four other cars get around the obstruction, while everyone else is left sitting there.

Tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Unfortunatly a lot of people seem to leave common sense at home when they set out in their cars!

Nupplenits - hell of a first post. Welcome to Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I don't know how people can drive that crazy! With all the ad campaigns on road safety i'm always conscious if i'm breaking the limit, realising "that child has 80% of living if hit at 50km/h...........its 50 for a reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

While what this idioot did is absolutely stupid, i hate nothing mor when driving than being stuck behind idiot drivers like you who don't travel at (not above or below) the speed limit. It really really really really bugs me and we've had massive threads about it on here before. In future just speed up to the 100 kph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nupplenits

ninty9er wrote:
    While what this idiot did is absolutely stupid, I hate nothing more when driving than being stuck behind idiot drivers like you who don't travel at (not above or below) the speed limit. It really really really really bugs me and we've had massive threads about it on here before. In future just speed up to the 100 kph

No, I won't speed up to 100km/h.
    I will drive at a speed I am comfortable at. I drove at 10km/h under the limit, which I think is fairly reasonable, especially considering the amount of deaths on the roads lately.
    I sure as hell wasn't going to speed up just because some fool is right behind me.

As I already stated, we were approaching a 50km/h area, hence no need to speed up(not that I would have anyway).

P.S. I corrected the spelling mistakes in your post when I quoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nupplenuts - Where were you relative to the road markings, ie how far from the line marking the hard shoulder and how far from the centre line?

If you're going to correct my mistakes 1 - look up appalling in the dictionary; I think you'll find that's what you meant to say

2 - you didn't say anything about approaching a 50 kph zone FYI 100kph zones don't slow directly to 50kph you should have had to pass through a 60kph zone 1st

3 - in the States you would have been done for "failure to make suitable progress" or some such. if the sign says 100 do no less than 99/100 on your speedo if it says 50 you should not be doing 40/45, this is what causes accidents. (The exception is when cornering or approaching a roundabout/ unsuitable weatehr conditions).
    You would have failed your driving test if you had driven like you did today

4 - if you don't feel comfortable travelling at 100kph, don't drive in 100kph zones hampering the progress of drivers who are legally entitled to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

you didn't say anything about approaching a 50 kph zone FYI 100kph zones don't slow directly to 50kph you should have had to pass through a 60kph zone 1st

In Kilkenny and loads of places for that matter the limit does go from 100 km/h to 50 km/h without a 60km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ninty9er wrote:
    4 - if you don't fell comfortable travelling at 100kph, don't drive in 100kph zones hampering the progress of drivers who are legally entitled to do so

Please tell me you're taking the piss. If the OP wants to drive at 90km/h in a 100 zone then he's perfectly entitled to (provided he's correctly positioned on the road).

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    In Kilkenny and loads of places for that matter the limit does go from 100 km/h to 50 km/h without a 60km/h.

Round Limerick every 80 zone I use regularly slows to 60 before a village; then 50 through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ninty9er wrote:
    Take a look
    at what?

edited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nupplenits

ninty9er wrote:
    2 - you didn't say anything about approaching a 50 kph zone FYI 100kph zones don't slow directly to 50kph you should have had to pass through a 60kph zone 1st
    Read:
    "I tried to speed up to get the rest of her plate, but I had no chance, as I was just about to hit the 50km/h limit sign, but that wasn't about to slow her down."
    Copied and pasted from my original post.
    ninty9er wrote:
    3 - in the States you would have been done for "failure to make suitable progress" or some such. if the sign says 100 do no less than 99/100 on your speedo if it says 50 you should not be doing 40/45, this is what causes accidents. (The exception is when cornering or approaching a roundabout/ unsuitable weatehr conditions).
    You would have failed your driving test if you had driven like you did today
    Even though I was approaching a 50km/h limit area? Phew, pretty strict eh?
    ninty9er wrote:
    4 - if you don't feel comfortable travelling at 100kph, don't drive in 100kph zones hampering the progress of drivers who are legally entitled to do so

I am legally entitled to drive in 100km/h zones and therefore I will. If someone feels I am going too slow, they can overtake me. I feel 10 km/h under the limit is a reasonable speed, especially since:
    1. I was on a bend in the road.
    2. I was approaching a 50km/h zone.

Anan1: Approximately 2 feet from the continuous white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

ninty9er wrote:
    edited
    afraid to say what you had to say?

He/she can drive at whatever f*cking speed they like as long as it's a national road and by default with 100k IT IS idiot.

If you don't like the speed stay left, OUT OF THE HARD SHOULDER, let those who want to overtake do so at their own risk and judgement.

Accidents are caused by idiots who take risks. You'll never kill yourself it's the f*cker on the same side/opposite side of the road who makes a stupid decision that'll kill you.

Now cop on ninty or should that be ninety9ER, can't even spell your own f*cking name properly. Even better off ya go and wrap yourself around a pole somewhere, while having a go at the guy doing 90 in a 100 zone while you're overtaking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's a speed limit, ninty9er, not a target. It's not like the OP was doing 70k/h hugging the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fey! wrote:
    Nupplenits - hell of a first post. Welcome to Boards!

I think it's Nipplenuts in disguise! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

nupplenits wrote:
    Was coming home tonight through Kilkenny, doing 90km/h in a 100km/h area.
    Decently wide hard shoulder.

Up comes this black car behind me, stuck up my hole(could not see her head lights, let alone the fog lights in my RV mirror). So I slowed down to 80km/h so she could pass, but obviously she knew it's illegal to overtake on a continuous white line. so I look in my right wing mirror, and she's gone!
    Look straight ahead of me again and there she is, shooting up the hard shoulder, undertaking me, looking accross at me and beeping her horn and giving me the fingers.
    I was in such awe I didn't even beep my horn at her. By the time i realised what had happened, she was about 250 yards ahead of me and I only caught a bit of her number plate. It was a 03 D black peugeot..possible a 307?? Small anyway.

I tried to speed up to get the rest of her plate, but I had no chance, as I was just about to hit the 50km/h limit sign, but that wasn't about to slow her down.
    I tried to speed up and catch her when I got back to the 100km/h limit area, but it was no use whatsoever.

The girl(driving) had glasses, long blond/red hair, kinda chubby(fingers) and looked to be about mid-late 20's.

If she is reading this I have one thing to say: You are an idiot and a truly stupid bitch.
    that is awful driving. people like this should be banned for life...

in future thought, for your own safety... it would be prudent to pull into the hard shoulder and let lunatics like that pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rambler

From reading on here and also on the road they seem to be a lot of people who are very confused about the basic rules of the roads, with this then surely it would be a good idea that when you pass your test that you are only given a licence for say maybe ten years, then you need to resit the driving test again. I wounder how many people who passed there driving test 10 years ago would pass it now if they were to sit it again without any lessons or revision of the rules of the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's a speed limit, ninty9er, not a target. It's not like the OP was doing 70k/h hugging the white line.

exactly, and if you have someone tailgating the normal procedure is to slow down until they are a safe braking distance away from you. Just because if they hit you they are in the wrong doesn't mean you need to worry about them tailgating.

this is still my worst incident for the moment..
    Hobbes wrote:
    Driving home this evening, I turn left onto a road and a car is in front going at 30kph.. it scares the living crap out of me because I can see no driver in the driving seat. Even the car ahead oncoming sees it, panics and screeches to a halt. At this point the woman in the car pops up from under the seat or where ever the hell she was. She must of been down near the floor for close to a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ninty9er wrote:
    While what this idioot did is absolutely stupid, i hate nothing mor when driving than being stuck behind idiot drivers like you who don't travel at (not above or below) the speed limit. It really really really really bugs me and we've had massive threads about it on here before. In future just speed up to the 100 kph

Excuse me? You think him driving at 10km/h below the speed limit - which is BARELY NOTICIABLE - justifies the way that stupid wagon in the Peugeot behaved?

Get real!

There's PLENTY of roads in Ireland that are 80km/h and damn well shouldn't be, for instance, twisty country roads. There's no way i'm going to drive at 80km/h on a dangerous road. I'm not talking about crawling along, but driving a bit slower so you're driving safely and comfortably isn't going to kill anyone. If you're on a main road/motorway/dual carriageway then yes, you should drive on or near the speed limit.

Does anyone else think ninty9er is a troll? Reported.

Excuse me.
    1 - the "edited" was in relation to the link inserted

2 - I did Condemn the Idiot in the Peugeot

3 - do 40/45 in a 50 zone during your test and you fail

4 - the "copy and paste" from that 1st post seemed to mysteriously appear after it was edited at 23:20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There is no excuse for the way the peugeot driver behaved and this sort of driving is the reason we have the carnage we do on our roads. That said there is very little courtesy shown to other drivers on the roads, if the op had moved over slighly and let her on her way she would not have caused him any inconvenience, after all it is not his concern to police speed limits etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

@ the op

You have every right to do 90 in a 100 zone, if that's the speed you feel safe at.

The girl that passed you on the hard shoulder needs to be off the road

But when she came up to you from behind, tailgaiting ...why did you slow down to 80??

Would have been better to just stick with your speed ...she would have backed off / overtaken eventually.

Seenashow she was in a massive hurry anyway, to her your slowing down must have seemed like a deliberate provocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

The Muppet wrote:
    There is no excuse for the way the peugeot driver behaved and this sort of driving is the reason we have the carnage we do on our roads. That said there is very little courtesy shown to other drivers on the roads, if the op had moved over slighly and let her on her way she would not have caused him any inconvenience, after all it is not his concern to police speed limits etc,.

Overtaking is not permitted in tis case so the OP is under no obligation to move over.

Whether there is an inconvenience or not rules are rules. When you have the big queue before the toll plaza you cannot overtake as there is an inconvenience in front of you.

Bad driving includes road rage, imaptience, stupidity and arrogance among other faults!

Drive your bloody car according to the conditions and you will be less of a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

The Muppet wrote:

i completely agree... great point and well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I personally hate people who drive under the limit.People who only feel comfortable driving slower cause accidents, cos their reaction times are obviously slower, hence the need to drive slower.The limits are adequate speed in every situation, so stick to them, not above or below.That way everyone happy, except the really mad lunatics...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The limits are adequate speed in every situation

Where do you do your driving?

On the moon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ninety9er is right folks to certain degree.

There is a girl sitting here in the office who failed her driving test last week for lack of progress. ie not travelling along at the speed limit. She was about 5 mph under it, she said.

What the woman did in the Peguet was wrong.

People like that should be taken off the roads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement