Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most appauling driving I have ever seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Heinrich wrote:
    Overtaking is not permitted in tis case so the OP is under no obligation to move over.

Whether there is an inconvenience or not rules are rules. When you have the big queue before the toll plaza you cannot overtake as there is an inconvenience in front of you.

Bad driving includes road rage, imaptience, stupidity and arrogance among other faults!

Drive your bloody car according to the conditions and you will be less of a nuisance.

Did you read the last eleven words of my post ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

thewing wrote:
    I personally hate people who drive under the limit
    Isn't everybody supposed to drive under the limit, as in not exceed it?

As RobertFoster pointed out earlier, speed limits are limits not targets. You do not have to drive at the maximum permitted speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

peasant wrote:
    Where do you do your driving?

On the moon?
    Would love to, but I've only driven on planet earth, namely the countries of Ireland, Australia, UK and USA.

Think they are too quick/slow is certain situations?Agree with you that 80 on some back roads is way too quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

My wife didn't pass/fail her driving test last week but for 3 hours before hand I was warning her she was toooooooooo close to the left (but it sais in the ROTR that you should keep left, she said) so flies through her oral (not double entendres please) points out the aircon, oil, washer fluid, brake etc, hops in the car, 5 mins later I get a call, she's crashed it, clattered the mirror off another car, managed to get the 320's mirror back in order (luckily the glass was intact) but the poor old guys Volvo 960 wing mirror was shattered, she was in tears, he was breaking his ****e laffin telling her not to worry we've all done it (I have aswell), swapped numbers and tester said ring the dept on wednesday when the report will be filed.

Strange day let me tell ya.

Apologies to 99r for my lash-out, tired, but the kid in the peugot should be off the road and the OP was well within his/her rights to do what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

thewing wrote:
    I personally hate people who drive under the limit.People who only feel comfortable driving slower cause accidents, cos their reaction times are obviously slower, hence the need to drive slower.The limits are adequate speed in every situation, so stick to them, not above or below.That way everyone happy, except the really mad lunatics...

In recent days it has been shown that people who drove OVER the limits were responsible for serious accidents.

Reaction times my ar$e! Adequate speeds are dictated by prevailing conditions not by some road sign with unrealistic numbers painted on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thewing wrote:
    Would love to, but I've only driven on planet earth, namely the countries of Ireland, Australia, UK and USA.

Think they are too quick/slow is certain situations?Agree with you that 80 on some back roads is way too quick..

I could show you several stretches of so called "N" roads where the signposted limit of 100 is absolutely lethal ...and that's on a dry, clear day.

The Muppet wrote:
    Did you read the last eleven words of my post ?

I did and found them to be nonsensical!:mad:

Lack of progress is a genuine black mark against you in the driving test, you get it for driving under the limit.I remember when I was learning, the trickiest thing I found was keep the needle on 30(mph) in 4th, as I was learnt in a 1.6

Yes conditions obviously have to be taken into account, no one would be expected to do 120 on M50 in a blizzard - if you want to keep moving goalposts of debate go ahead...OP stated they were driving home last nite, conditions certainly weren't a factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Doolittle51

in future thought, for your own safety... it would be prudent to pull into the hard shoulder and let lunatics like that pass.

That's illegal, and you'll get penalty points if caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

it better that been blown off the road by a lunatic woman who cant drive isn't it...

• Advertisement

thewing wrote:
    Yes conditions obviously have to be taken into account, no one would be expected to do 120 on M50 in a blizzard - if you want to keep moving goalposts of debate go ahead...OP stated they were driving home last nite, conditions certainly weren't a factor...

Goalposts are not being moved and OP was driving accordingtd to prevailing conditions, i.e. 90% of the speed limit. As stated previously the emphasis is on the word "LIMIT" which means maximum permitted.

Exaggerating comments like blizzards on the M50 are not helpful either. Heavy rain as is prevelant here in Ireland, would also necessitate slowing down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I regularly get abuse for sticking to the limits.
    Ridiculous behaviour that needs to stop, but only the Gardai can do it - I can't issue points to some gobsheen who flies by me at 120 kph on a 80 kph road.

Also this title has the " Most Appalling Spelling I Have Ever seen!" :D

it better that been blown off the road by a lunatic woman who cant drive isn't it...

Ask Minister McDowell or the Garda Commissioner as unlike you they appear to know the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ninty9er wrote:
    While what this idioot did is absolutely stupid, i hate nothing mor when driving than being stuck behind idiot drivers like you who don't travel at (not above or below) the speed limit. It really really really really bugs me and we've had massive threads about it on here before. In future just speed up to the 100 kph

The signposted speed limit is the absolute maximum speed you are permitted to travel at assuming perfect conditions at the time i.e. dry clear weather during the day.
    If it's dark, wet, windy, foggy then you should reduce your speed accordingly.

Heinrich wrote:
    Ask Minister McDowell or the Garda Commissioner as unlike you they appear to know the law.

ask them what exactly....

ask them is it better to pull out of the way of a lunatic driver who could kill you and all in your car or get two points.

well personally i would prefer to get the points than die with the help of a lunatic coming up behind me at a redelicious speed

but then again i like life, maybe you want to end it early but not me.

Is it, whats illegal about it and since when do you get points for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only on motorways.
    On a normal single-carriageway road the broken yellow line simply marks the edge of the roadway, it doesn't mark the beginning of the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Driving in the hard shoulder is illegal, 1 point for doing it on a motorway.

blorg wrote:
    Driving in the hard shoulder is illegal, 1 point for doing it on a motorway.

I know that , but the incident being discussed did not happen on a motorway. There is a lot of talk in this thread about rules of the road and garda commissioners etc from people who appear not to know the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

While I agree that it probably would have made sense for the OP to pull into the hard shoulder, it's probably as well that he didn't, considering that the girl in the peugeot was overtaking him on the hard shoulder!

As for his slowing to 80, a few people have said that this was to goad the girl behind him. Personally, from what he said I think that it was to leave her less exposed during an overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 rambler

The Muppet wrote:
    I know that , but the incident being discussed did not happen on a motorway. There is a lot of talk in this thread about rules of the road and garda commissioners etc from people who appear not to know the rules of the road.

I have to agree completely and this is only a very small section of people who use our roads on a daily basis, makes you think. Reminds me when I was learning to drive a very wise person told me that what makes a safe driver is not a driver who knows all the rules but a driver who is aware of mistakes that other road might make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

lack of progress is exactly that lack of progress.

It is not for driving under the limit alone.

It can be for very slow acceleration away from crosses, lights and round abouts, driving under the limit for no reason e.g. perfect weather conditions and a clear road in front of you.

if the person in front of you is doing under the limit and it is not safe to overtake well then you're not going to get done for lack of progress.

I know that's being a bit anal about it but there ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Muppet wrote:
    Ok, sorry, you are quite right:
    A single broken yellow line along the edge of the roadway indicates the edge of a carriageway. A hard shoulder is normally provided where this edge of carriageway marking is provided. The hard shoulder is not an extra traffic lane and should not normally be used as such by traffic other than cyclists and pedestrians. If a driver wishes to allow a following vehicle to overtake, temporary use may be made of the hard shoulder to pull in if there are no cyclists/pedestrians already using it and provided that there is no junction or entrance in the vicinity. Hard shoulders often terminate before junctions, and are replaced by deceleration lanes. Deceleration lanes should never be used to allow a following vehicle to overtake. The above applies to roads other than motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

nupplenits wrote:
    Was coming home tonight through Kilkenny, doing 90km/h in a 100km/h area.
    Double continuous white lines in the centre of the road.
    Decently wide hard shoulder.

Up comes this black car behind me, stuck up my hole(could not see her head lights, let alone the fog lights in my RV mirror). So I slowed down to 80km/h so she could pass, but obviously she knew it's illegal to overtake on a continuous white line. so I look in my right wing mirror, and she's gone!
    Look straight ahead of me again and there she is, shooting up the hard shoulder, undertaking me, looking accross at me and beeping her horn and giving me the fingers.
    I was in such awe I didn't even beep my horn at her. By the time i realised what had happened, she was about 250 yards ahead of me and I only caught a bit of her number plate. It was a 03 D black peugeot..possible a 307?? Small anyway.

I tried to speed up to get the rest of her plate, but I had no chance, as I was just about to hit the 50km/h limit sign, but that wasn't about to slow her down.
    I tried to speed up and catch her when I got back to the 100km/h limit area, but it was no use whatsoever.

The girl(driving) had glasses, long blond/red hair, kinda chubby(fingers) and looked to be about mid-late 20's.

If she is reading this I have one thing to say: You are an idiot and a truly stupid bitch.

As far as I'm concerned there were two tools involved in this incident - her and you. Both of you showed flawed judgement.

Firstly, It would annoy the f**k out of most people to be caught sitting behind somebody going 10% less than the permitted maximum speed, especially if there was no opportunity to pass (i.e. the continuous white lines you refer to)

Secondly, you slowed down to 80km/h - this is a red rag to a bull. You know she cannot legally pass so what do you do? Slow down - how appropriate! Because of your dumb judgement and decision making you've pissed her off, and I understand her frustration at this point.

Thirdly, you looked in your wing mirror and she is not there. How magical, a disappearing car! You have three mirrors at your disposal. If she was up your ass, the RV mirror is what you should be monitoring. If you were expecting her to pass you should be watching the RV mirror until her intention to pull out is obvious, then you should revert to the wing mirror as she proceeds. You should be aware of everything at this stage: your progress, the traffic ahead and her progress.

OK, she then passes up the inside, the chick is obviously insane. Giving the fingers was most unlady like and the beeping of the horn uncalled for and potentially dangerous as you are seemingly startled easily.

In summary, on her journey she probably only annoyed the one person (i.e. you) but you, on the other hand, probably annoyed the tit$ off everyone unfortunate enough to be behind you.

As far as I'm concerned there were two tools involved in this incident - her and you. Both of you showed flawed judgement.

Firstly, It would annoy the f**k out of most people to be caught sitting behind somebody going 10% less than the permitted maximum speed, especially if there was no opportunity to pass (i.e. the continuous white lines you refer to)

Secondly, you slowed down to 80km/h - this is a red rag to a bull. You know she cannot legally pass so what do you do? Slow down - how appropriate! Because of your dumb judgement and decision making you've pissed her off, and I understand her frustration at this point.

Thirdly, you looked in your wing mirror and she is not there. How magical, a disappearing car! You have three mirrors at your disposal. If she was up your ass, the RV mirror is what you should be monitoring. If you were expecting her to pass you should be watching the RV mirror until her intention to pull out is obvious, then you should revert to the wing mirror as she proceeds. You should be aware of everything at this stage: your progress, the traffic ahead and her progress.

OK, she then passes up the inside, the chick is obviously insane. Giving the fingers was most unlady like and the beeping of the horn uncalled for and potentially dangerous as you are seemingly startled easily.

In summary, on her journey she probably only annoyed the one person (i.e. you) but you, on the other hand, probably annoyed the tit$ off everyone unfortunate enough to be behind you.

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I was driving along at about 105/115 km/h in a 100km/h zone (on the N2) a couple of months back. The road is relativlely straight, but visibility for overtaking isn't that great as it has swerves left and right in places. I knew there was a car about 200m behind, but it wasn't getting any closer. Next thing my car shook, and there was a bang from a stone on the passenger door. Some idiot went flying up the hardshoulder passed me. He had to be doing at least 200km/h. There were three further cars about a quarter of a mile ahead, which he also passed on the hard shoulder, almost mowing two pedestrians and a cyclist out of it. If ever I wanted the guards to be on the road it was this time.

i concur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What part of "permitted maximum speed" do people not understand?
    What part of "no oppertunity to pass" do you not understand?
    Secondly, you slowed down to 80km/h - this is a red rag to a bull. You know she cannot legally pass so what do you do? Slow down - how appropriate!
    Yes, especially appropriate because as the OP outlines he was approaching a zone with a "permitted maximum speed" of 50kmph. A speed that you must be doing on entering that zone not start decelerating to once you enter that zone.
    Thirdly, you looked in your wing mirror and she is not there. How magical, a disappearing car! You have three mirrors at your disposal. If she was up your ass, the RV mirror is what you should be monitoring.
    You are quite correct in this point though, observation and monitoring of other drivers on the road is of the highest importance. However, it may be due to the irrational behaviour of the car behind that made the OP react by slowing down so that in the event of an incident, they would be better able to control their vehicle.

Yes, that may be so, but if those people are annoyed by such factors they are not supposed to be driving according to the rules of the road (see the Stress and Fatigue section). A stressed driver driving at a higher speed is far more dangerous to other road users than an alert person driving within their and their vehicle's capabilities.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

nupplenits wrote:
    No, I won't speed up to 100km/h.
    I will drive at a speed I am comfortable at. I drove at 10km/h under the limit, which I think is fairly reasonable, especially considering the amount of deaths on the roads lately.
    I sure as hell wasn't going to speed up just because some fool is right behind me.

Quite right. Bully boys have no right to force you to drive at a faster speed than you feel comfortable with. Besides, 90kmph is not much below 100kmph (about 56mph) so it honestly shouldn't bother anybody unless they specifically intend breaching the limit. Mind you, generally I have found from experience that the people who do this tend to do so at much higher speeds up to about 137kmph (about 85mph) and then zoom off around 140kmph+.

What we really need is some kind of radar that detects the distance between 2 cars. I believe that such devices do exist and would be welcome in Ireland.

My attitude is that it is perfectly reasonable to drive around 10% below the speed limit, and anybody who tailgates you is breaking the law regardless of your speed. The law specifies maximim limits, like it or not, so its not up to you to rewrite the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It appears from some of the reactions to the OP, that there's more than one one eejit in a 03D black Peugeot (or the like) on the roads and on these boards.

Typical of this country now, everyone's in such a bloody hurry to get where they're going that they don't give a fu*k about anyone else on the road.

Now I've three small kids and I recently went out and bought my wife a Renault Scenic. Not because I'm a fan of MPV's but basically because if some assh0le hits this car, the chances of my wife and kids surviving is increased because its loaded with airbags and other safety features.

As for those posters who argue that anyone driving under the posted limit should get out of the way, I'd like to re-iterate its a speed LIMIT, NOT A TARGET gob****es. I'm sick of morons sitting on my rear bumper, with them driving so close that I can't see their bonnets, let alone their number plates. I always try to keep a reasonable distance from the car in front, but this is just an invitation to some eejit to overtake and cut in front of me just so they can get where they're going two seconds quicker.

My Uncle is an ambulance driver and to this day, he says he throws up when he sees the aftermath of some car smashes. Perhaps the speeding Gobsh1tes out there should be forced to view the mangled remains of road traffic victims. Maybe, just maybe, it might slow them down. Then again, the typical, self centred, egotistical, selfish, stupid, arrogant Gobsh1tes who speed probably wouldn't give a damn. What's one more dead man, woman or child to them. They probably shouldn't have gotten in their way!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement