Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I agree there. For the likes of sea fishing and taking too many fish and fish under size they wouldn't be bothered about it.
    Tell them about someone hooking a salmon and they'd be down in a heartbeat.

There's a difference between being bothered and being able to do something about it. The simple fact is some fish are protected by legislation and others aren't. But you know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ROREO93

I caught this beaut a while ago...

lCM93hE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

20130824_092347_zps6e1c16aa.jpg

20130824_092405_zps313e80c2.jpg

Both taken on a prince nymph and both released healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Nice fish Are you fishing on a stocked river?!

Nice fish Are you fishing on a stocked river?!

Yeah the Tolka its has wild and stocked fish there was a fish kill a few months ago that claimed a lot of the big fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

Calling all anglers free to join Sea Fishing Gathering in Howth !!
    check out our fishing site at meetup.com
    put in : Fishing Ireland & International Angling Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Dad was spinning with feathers for mackerel and caught this fella, a garfish I believe, never even knew they were present where we fish, are they common?

do people eat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Stressica wrote: »
    Dad was spinning with feathers for mackerel and caught this fella, a garfish I believe, never even knew they were present where we fish, are they common?

do people eat them?

So you kept it without knowing if they're eaten by people?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Don't think they are the best eating. I think their bones turn green when cooked so can be a bit off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

So you kept it without knowing if they're eaten by people?

Dad kept it not me, he didn't know what it was, until he brought it back and I double checked online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I've really had enough of people on this forum killing first and asking questions after. Does "dad" not have a phone in his pocket that takes pics? If people want to fish then at least educate yourself a bit before killing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaz croke

Auldloon wrote: »
    I've really had enough of people on this forum killing first and asking questions after. Does "dad" not have a phone in his pocket that takes pics? If people want to fish then at least educate yourself a bit before killing anything.
    WELL SAID

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Bromium wrote: »
    20130824_092347_zps6e1c16aa.jpg

20130824_092405_zps313e80c2.jpg

Both taken on a prince nymph and both released healthy.

Did you get your pictures mixed up, they're both the same fish :D

Top pic looks heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Same fish alright. Look at the spots on the gill plate.

Auldloon wrote: »
    Same fish alright. Look at the spots on the gill plate.

Come to think it is.
    Have a look at the spots above the pectoral fin
    They both have same gap and pattern

viper123 wrote: »
    Did you get your pictures mixed up, they're both the same fish :D

I did actually, uploaded two of the same fish both were practically the same size and hard to tell the difference when uploading from the phone. At least there is an extra good view of that one now. Will throw the other fish pic up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

From Anamoe. Had 8 landed fish average 3-4 pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

had a battle with this last weekend on light gear 30lb class rod was great fun ,had 13 to the boat in 4-5 hours between 40-80lb approx and all returned to fight another day

shark_zpse6dc383c.jpg

Taken on a size 18 Black Ant

20130906_153331_zps91b57ea6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

(very coloured) sea trout from Currane, already posted in the sea trout thread but its my best yet so I'll post it twice!. around 3lbs, took a Kate McLaren on the top dropper. Returned to fertilize some eggs hopefully.

Curraneseatroutsept20131_zps84bc4d3b.jpg

and my first salmon on the fly, from a few weeks back 5lbs, took a small cascade

2013-08-06142605_zpsf2d405f7.jpg

That's a smashing looking trout mate.
    Lovely colours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

My first pollock. He put up a better fight than 3 nice size mackrel could
    Caught 4/5 miles west of allihies with red plastic shrimp rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

My first pollock. He put up a better fight than 3 nice size mackrel could
    Caught 4/5 miles west of allihies with red plastic shrimp rig.

Your supposed to cook it before serving it up.
    Seriously tho, a dead fish on a plate, sink or kitchen is not a good look. Much better to have a pic of the fish on the rocks, next to the rod and reel or even with a smiling angler and the water in the background.
    This isnt a c&r rant. Far from it. If someone wants to keep a fish to eat then fine, just please dont have distasteful pics of it on a plate.
    Ps well done on your first pollack. They dont half pull back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Fair play monty_python.

Don't mind the nonsense about the 'rules' of fish pictures. Absolute codswallop. Nothing like catching a fresh fish straight from the sea for the dinner. Good healthy eating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Pj! wrote: »
    Fair play monty_python.

Don't mind the nonsense about the 'rules' of fish pictures. Absolute codswallop. Nothing like catching a fresh fish straight from the sea for the dinner. Good healthy eating too.
    i agree with that, it will be 7-10 days fresher than whats being sold in a supermarket and like i said it wasn't a c&r rant.
    a pic of a cooked fish on a plate with some veg and baby spuds or with chips doesn't bother me or most people but a dead fish slapped onto a sink will annoy a lot of folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Hadnt been out in a few weeks so headed to the rocks for a few hours yesterday evening. Things were very slow. Managed the lad in the pic and the smallest strap conger I have ever caught, How it managed to fit the tail section of a mackerel on a 8/0 into its mouth I will never know.

photo_zps07194fcb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

.red. wrote: »
    a dead fish slapped onto a sink will annoy a lot of folk.

God be with them when they're passing the fish counter in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

.red. wrote: »
    Your supposed to cook it before serving it up.
    Seriously tho, a dead fish on a plate, sink or kitchen is not a good look. Much better to have a pic of the fish on the rocks, next to the rod and reel or even with a smiling angler and the water in the background.
    This isnt a c&r rant. Far from it. If someone wants to keep a fish to eat then fine, just please dont have distasteful pics of it on a plate.
    Ps well done on your first pollack. They dont half pull back.
    Fair point but i was fishing alone so had noone to take a pic of me with the fish. Ill take a pic on the rocks next time. And yes he was great fun to bring in and tasted good to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Fair point but i was fishing alone so had noone to take a pic of me with the fish. Ill take a pic on the rocks next time. And yes he was great fun to bring in and tasted good to

Nice fish &maybe a few page 3 models would look nice beside the sink! God you have to be careful in here. LOL

Advertisement