Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Mellor wrote: »
    not sure what 1.1kg is refering to

Just to clarify:
    The 1.1Kg was the weight of the Gurnard that I seen, which was 430mm long.
    So I weighed and measured him!
    The specimen sizes are all weights though, and only on pre-certified scales, and only on dry land! All the terms and conditions are in the booklet.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

th_7c6e8f01-c408-4d47-bbc1-5efc16e48eda.jpgbrown trout caught on the suir last september on the fly weighed in just under 71/2pound :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bizzum wrote: »
    Just to clarify:
    The 1.1Kg was the weight of the Gurnard that I seen, which was 430mm long.
    So I weighed and measured him!
    The specimen sizes are all weights though, and only on pre-certified scales, and only on dry land! All the terms and conditions are in the booklet.
    Hope this helps.
    Yeah, I understodd that. It was the part where you said it was over specimen weight that confused me.

I didn't weight mine, over 1.63kg was an estimation, but I'd be happy that its accurate, (compared to 1.25 and 2.5kg paltes in the gym)
    By the way, i'm not suggesting it was a record fish that got away (wasn't irish waters), just comparitively speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, I understodd that. It was the part where you said it was over specimen weight that confused me.

I think I see now where the confusion is.

Red Gurnard Specimen size is .907Kg or 907g or 2lb

Red Gurnard Irish Record is 3lb 9.5 oz

So a Gurnard over 2lb is a specimen, and if you are lucky enough to catch one over 3lb 9.5oz, you have just broke the Irish record!
    All the fish in the specimen booklet have a specimen size and a record size.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

So you are saying my Gurnard could be a new record?, i knew it was large for a gurnard but i do catch them that size quite frequently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

yeah this 1 was about 2lb, caught a few that size on that outing.. great healthy fish.. promising stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

my pb 26lb croc
    DSC00161.jpg
    20lb? pb salmon
    6573_100646129949220_10000011500310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

is that cloongee? nice fish btw, salmon is a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

A few fly caught rainbows last friday in curragh springs

150978.jpg

150979.jpg

150980.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

shblob wrote: »
    is that cloongee? nice fish btw, salmon is a cracker.
    Navan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

peterk19 wrote: »
    A few fly caught rainbows last friday in curragh springs

150978.jpg

150979.jpg

150980.jpg

Nice fish, first one looks like a brownie. What did you get them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

thehamo wrote: »
    Nice fish, first one looks like a brownie. What did you get them on?

Got the first on a sunburst blob, the others on either buzzers or a cats whisker all on a slow stop and start retrieve

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

class pike man. where in monaghan did you get it

karlram wrote: »
    class pike man. where in monaghan did you get it
    wasnt monaghan, midlands area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bonzoscout

Four hour battle on 50 lb tackle then it died 400m down had to land it on our second boat as it was closer to the water

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

bonzoscout wrote: »
    Four hour battle on 50 lb tackle then it died 400m down had to land it on our second boat as it was closer to the water
    holy sh*t!!!!!! arms a few inches longer after that ??:D
    some catch!!! well done

thanks was on 10 day live(survive)aboard in indonesia for gt when i got him .just happened to bring the trolling rod with me to pass time between islands had to make rod holder on the boat and was not expecting too much then that happened .video on utube Bonzos leaping marlin worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Real men, real fish!! Well done mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brilliant fish, such a shame it died on you though. I caught one in Mexico 3 years ago but he spat the hook just as we got him to the boat. He was only about half the size of your one but i was in tatters after it so i can only imagine what shape you were in. Well done

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Fished The Heritage Golf hotel during a stay there this week, the lake in middle of the course. Used a rod they had at the hotel. Got 4 nice rainbows, lost 3 others :)

trout4Heritage22-3-11b.jpg

trout2Heritage22-3-11a.jpg

trout1Heritage22-3-11a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Am I the only one who thought of The Old Man And The Sea when looking at the second pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Kess73 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought of The Old Man And The Sea when looking at the second pic?
    No :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

My first trout on the fly and my first decent sized trout on the fly. So proud and/or relieved. I took up fly fishing midway through last summer when I found what I though was a broken spinning rod (imbaressing now, I know) which in actual fact was a fly rod. Joined Boards in the hope of learning and after weeks of silly questions, I got the hang of it. Went out on many occasions and had no clue what I was doing and I totally hated fly fishing. But this season my goal was to catch one on the fly. Thanks to all the lads that helped me along the way and had to sit through all my silly rants about how bad fly fishing is ;). Over the past few days I've caught 14 trout on the fly but most of them just parr.
    First picture is my first trout (parr) on the fly and second is my first decent sized trout on the fly. Also how do you post the images so you dont have to click on the attachment URL. I want the pics to be in my post...?

Just forgot to add that every fish was returned as good as new and it's great seeing them all lip hooked unlike the olden days when I fished with a worm and on occasion they were deep hooked. I think you'll be happy to know I don't even bring the spinning rod anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Fair play David well done.
    Nothing wrong with The spinning rod though when the circumstances aren't suitable for flyfishing.
    I was out on the river today in gale force winds so I pulled the spinning rod out of the bag & fished away to my hearts content
    Just forgot to add that every fish was returned as good as new and it's great seeing them all lip hooked unlike the olden days when I fished with a worm and on occasion they were deep hooked. I think you'll be happy to know I don't even bring the spinning rod anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Did ya catch anything is the question? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

DOes a cold count???
    Did ya catch anything is the question? :P

• Advertisement

I find it hard to change back to the spinning rod because it's just... boring? I mean hooking a fish isn't the same as on the fly rod. It just doesn't give you a sense of satisfaction when you land a fish unlike the fly rod. Not to mention the fact that I'm very easily amused by watching my fly float down the river :D:rolleyes:

Advertisement