Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you drive?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My new baby:

mytyper.jpg

2002 Civic Type R
    220bhp
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

'96 BMW 735iA V8 Executive. Worth less now than the original owner paid to upgrade the standard full leather to Nappa leather. Great for watching the World Cup when stuck in traffic :D
    embee wrote:
    06 bmw 520d
    god the bmw is crap

Care to explain why it is crap?

I'm getting very confused by some of the remarks on the BMW 2l diesel cars:
    Anan1 wrote:
    My guess is it's too slow. I drove a new 320d recently, and was quite disappointed by its performance. Good car in every other way, though.
    Anan1 wrote:
    I was surprised myself! Unless the car I drove was a little off-colour, although it was a dealer demo? It felt more like 120bhp to me.

I'd say there was something wrong with it...
    I just bought an 03 BWM 320d, quite a lot of poke for a Diesel, but not as much poke as the newer Audi A4 1.9TDi

Eh? An '06 Audi A4 1.9TDI has a max of 115bhp. Slightly older 1.9TDIs have a max of 130bhp. Your BMW 320d has 150bhp and has a lot more poke (torque) than either A4

Performance figures for the 320d and 520d are pretty good. 163BHP, 340NM and 8.3 (520d 8.6) seconds to 100km/h. Plucking figures out of the air, I'd say at least 95% of all new cars sold in Ireland this year are slower than that. By that measure alone they can not be classed as slow. In fact they are only tenths of seconds slower than my V8 petrol 7-series

And both have the same performance with the steptronic box compared to manual

Compare that to the full 10 seconds this takes:
    Big Nelly wrote:
    02 1.9TDi 130Bhp Highline Passat, headed seats, cruise control etc on it. And yes they are fast as fcuk:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sugar20

My car is a blue '04 206, bodykit, set of v2 rims, She is my pride and joy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

01 BMW M5, 06 BMW X5, 66 Daimler Majestic Major, 62 Rolls Silver Cloud, 62 Cadillac V8, 93 Saab 900 Turbo convertible and a few others.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I like BMW's but I wouldn't buy one right now cause I think you really need at least a 2.5l engine or bigger, all the rest are in my opinion under powered for what they are. before I bought the Civic Type R I was considering buying a 3 series coupe as I think they are absolutely beautiful cars, and they are extremely comfortable and very nice to drive, but I drove a new 320Ci - 2.2 litre engine and was very dissappointed with the performance. Really for a car that heavy, with a 2.2 litre engine, its just underpowered.

I've been in a 330Ci and that was very nice, fantastic touque and drive, but I can't justify the cost of tax, insurance and petrol on an engine that size...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Like most "real" cars the only become any good over 3litres or for some real fun 5litres.:)

"Real Cars" are only over 3 Litre? Oh please... So Scooby's and Evo's are Real Cars?

Perhaps you mean "Supercars"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anan1 wrote:
    I was surprised myself! Unless the car I drove was a little off-colour, although it was a dealer demo? It felt more like 120bhp to me.

You weren't driving a 318d by any chance? Same size engine, same car, just 122 Bhp, could have been debadged by the dealer.

ned78 wrote:
    You weren't driving a 318d by any chance? Same size engine, same car, just 122 Bhp, could have been debadged by the dealer.

That might have been it. The BMW 320d 4-pot diesel out-perfoms any other diesel in its class by a long stretch. Small engined Alfa Romeo diesels are very good too!

I'd rather go for a bigger engine myself. BMW have won best engine in the world for every single engine over 2.5l (still pretty small) if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote:
    Performance figures for the 320d and 520d are pretty good. 163BHP, 340NM and 8.3 (520d 8.6) seconds to 100km/h.

All I can say is that my daily driver is a 94 Mercedes C280, which I think is supposed to do 0-62 in around 8.5 secs. The difference between it and the BMW was night & day. It was definitely a new 163bhp 320d I drove. I was expecting similar performance from the BMW myself - it's 30bhp down, but manual. I have no explanation, I may try another one if I get a chance. I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Just recently bought:

00 Corsa XE

dsc001807rd.th.jpg dsc001819tt.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Here's a pic of my baby taken in Dublin Airport a few months ago. It's the one on the left unfortunately

Anan1 wrote:
    All I can say is that my daily driver is a 94 Mercedes C280, which I think is supposed to do 0-62 in around 8.5 secs. The difference between it and the BMW was night & day

Weird. Just looking up some figures right now and performance on paper is just about identical. Your car is about 100kg heavier but then the extra 30BHP should easily make up for that. Remarkable performance from the C280 auto. Clever choice of car that is. How long have you owned it and what did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Anan1 wrote:
    I have no explanation, I may try another one if I get a chance. I'll keep you posted.

Please do :)

Advertisement