Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Teachers in Malaysia identify "effeminate" schoolboys, inform the authorities who ship them off to toughen them up, since if they're left "unchecked", they may end up gay or transsexual:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/20/3196266.htm
    ABC wrote:
    Malaysian schoolboys sent to butch camp

Authorities in Malaysia have sent 66 Muslim schoolboys identified by their teachers as effeminate to a special camp to receive counselling on masculine behaviour.

The boys will undergo four days of religious and motivational classes and physical activities designed to guide them back to what has been described as the "right path in life".

The schoolboys allegedly displayed "feminine mannerisms", although educators in the conservative state of Terengganu did not detail what they were.

State officials say that if left "unchecked" the students could end up gay or transsexual.

Activists say it is appalling that educators are persecuting children for expressing their personalities and identities.

The state's education director, Razali Daud, says although homosexuals and transvestites do exist in Malaysia, the authorities want to limit their numbers.

...just as well Derren Brown didn't grow up in Malaysia... but he's now spilling the beans on the "faith healing" movement. Should make interesting viewing.

http://www.musicrooms.net/tv/31324-derren-brown-once-tried-to-have-his-homosexuality-cured.html
    Some Guy wrote:
    Derren Brown once tried to have his homosexuality "cured"

TV illusionist Derren Brown has revealed how he turned to a Christian group in order to “cure” his homosexuality. The star, who admits he is now completely comfortable with his sexuality, has filmed a documentary which is said to expose so-called church miracle healing scams.

Talking about his personal reasons for doing the show, Brown said, “I went through an area of the church that was trying to cure gay people. It was misjudged and I was aware of that.” In Brown’s new show, Miracles for Sale, he examines the fascination with faith healing of every ailment imaginable. As part of the show, Brown enlists a regular member of the public to pose as a fake pastor in the US Bible Belt to reveal the “tricks” that the group uses.

“Healing is not God’s work and anyone can be taught certain tricks to do it,” Brown said when asked what he hopes the show will prove. “It’s genuinely dangerous for people who take part in these events. They do not get better and they’re told to throw away their medication.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    Teachers in Malaysia identify "effeminate" schoolboys, inform the authorities who ship them off to toughen them up, since if they're left "unchecked", they may end up gay or transsexual...
    That sounds like a foolproof plan. Ship all the boys who you suspect might be gay off to a camp together so they can bond in the face of adversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

...just as well Derren Brown didn't grow up in Malaysia... but he's now spilling the beans on the "faith healing" movement. Should make interesting viewing.

http://www.musicrooms.net/tv/31324-derren-brown-once-tried-to-have-his-homosexuality-cured.html
    Interesting stuff. Brown has a short but honest autobiographical piece about his religion and sexuality in his book Tricks of the Mind, which is also about things like cold reading, NLP, and faith healing among other fascinating stuff. The woo stuff is all from a sceptical perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Dades wrote: »
    That sounds like a foolproof plan. Ship all the boys who you suspect might be gay off to a camp together so they can bond in the face of adversity.

"Bunch of dudes alone together, in a forest, seems kinda gay."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'd be more worried about seeing some chick in a low-cut top and having the front bonnet pop open.

:D

Or the retractable tow bar popping out :D

Dades wrote: »
    Ship all the boys who you suspect might be gay off to a camp together so they can bond in the face of adversity.
    It's the, er, carry on of the mullahs that I'd be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A few committed Filipino lads performing a Jayzus tribute act...

http://www.thejournal.ie/24-filipinos-crucified-on-wooden-crosses-125408-Apr2011/

cross-2-614x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sai Baba, well-known omniscient frizzy-haired Indian guru, minor-league godman, raiser-from-the-dead, conjurer of trinkets, the recipient of multiple accusations of unbecoming behavior, who prophesied that he would die at the age of 96 in full health, died yesterday, aged 86 after a month's illness:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0425/1224295409668.html

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, back in the UK, it seems that the "Christian Union" (an organisation which is also active in Ireland) is targetting students for conversion in Oxford and Cambridge. Here's an article on how they do it, via chocolate and "speaking in tongues":

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/commentary/4990/meeting_jesus_at_oxford.html

Sai Baba, well-known omniscient frizzy-haired Indian guru, minor-league godman, raiser-from-the-dead, conjurer of trinkets, the recipient of multiple accusations of unbecoming behavior, who prophesied that he would die at the age of 96 in full health, died yesterday, aged 86 after a month's illness:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0425/1224295409668.html
    I can see his cult growing exponentially now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Malty_T wrote: »

Einstein never said that, I don't know how but he managed to get Albert Einstein, 20th Century German Physicist, confused with Francis Bacon, 17th Century English Philosopher/Statesman...and even at that he still managed to get it wrong.

What Einstein actually said was "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot", Bacon said ""A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion". So even Bacon's quote does not specify Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Shocking stuff from Derren Brown last night. I couldn't believe how some people would throw away their medicine..and the case of the girl who killed herself was just horrifying :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Hazard of belief: eye meltingly bad web design

http://dokimos.org/ajff/

Warning to all Christians this sites design may make you question the existence of God.

cavedave wrote: »
    Warning to all Christians this sites design may make you question the existence of God.
    Behold, the Pigeon of Piety!

dowe.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The body of a man with his hands and feet nailed to a wooden cross and a crown of thorns on his head has been found in an abandoned South Korean stone quarry.
    The body had a wound to the side of the torso and nylon strings tied around the neck, arms and stomach, and was clad only in underpants, police said. It was found on Sunday in Mungyong, about 115 miles (190km) south-east of Seoul, said Chung Ji-chun, the provincial chief for violent crime.
    Two smaller crosses were erected on each side, he added.
    Police found nails, a hammer, an electric drill, pieces of wood and instructions on how to build crosses inside a tent near the scene, Chung said. An SUV belonging to the dead man was found nearby.

Police were awaiting a forensics report to determine the cause of death and whether it was a homicide or suicide.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/04/crucified-man-body-south-korea
    If he managed to nail both hands to the cross himself, he should posthumously tour with Penn & Teller.

cavedave wrote: »
    Hazard of belief: eye meltingly bad web design

http://dokimos.org/ajff/

That site makes me think that world really is ending!

The best bits (attached)

Holy water from Mecca - may bring you closer to god:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13267205

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Meanwhile, back in the UK, it seems that the "Christian Union" (an organisation which is also active in Ireland) is targetting students for conversion in Oxford and Cambridge. Here's an article on how they do it, via chocolate and "speaking in tongues":

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/commentary/4990/meeting_jesus_at_oxford.html

Interesting that you mentioned this robindch.

The organisation is called UCCF (Universities and Colleges Christian Fellowship) in the UK which is a part of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). There are IFES movements in 152 countries including Ireland.

OICCU (Oxford) and CICCU (Cambridge) were the first two to start up in the 1920's. I've met a few people who were involved in CICCU. During my time at university I've been quite involved in the Christian Union movement. It's hardly as sinister as you're making it out to be though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This is just batty:
    http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/05/09/removing-women-from-situation-room-photo/

Then again the religious like to ignore reality.

6a00d83451b71f69e201543223aa3f970c-400wi.jpg

6a00d83451b71f69e201543223a8d6970c-400wi.jpg

Jakkass wrote: »
    It's hardly as sinister as you're making it out to be though.
    Wasn't make it out to be sinister -- just really weird.

Must be frightful to be burdened with the belief that one of life's main goals is to make other people believe the same thing as oneself.

Pregnant silences aside, on the one hand, it's a recipe for broken friendships while on the other, for a fairly bleak dose of ingrouping :(

Pregnant silences aside, on the one hand, it's a recipe for broken friendships while on the other, for a fairly bleak dose of ingrouping :(

If this is true how come despite being involved in the Christian Union at my university (and for a brief spell volunteering in the UK) and despite desiring for all my friends to know about Jesus for the last 3 years that I have managed to keep healthy relationships with non-Christians?

I should be a wandering social nightmare by your account? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If this is true how come despite being involved in the Christian Union at my university (and for a brief spell volunteering in the UK) and despite desiring for all my friends to know about Jesus for the last 3 years that I have managed to keep healthy relationships with non-Christians?

You're obviously very sexy and good looking.

despite desiring for all my friends to know about Jesus for the last 3 years that I have managed to keep healthy relationships with non-Christians?
    hmm.. obviously not proselytizing enough!

I lost one good friend of years standing because she couldn't stop herself from bringing the lovin' Lord Jesus and some pretty weird creationist crap into just about every conversation. It was like listening to a sticking record which got even stucker after she came back from some bible "college" in Pricksville, Minnesota with a "degree" that was worth less than a stunned mullet.

hmm.. obviously not proselytizing enough!

I lost one good friend of years standing because she couldn't stop herself from bringing the lovin' Lord Jesus and some pretty weird creationist crap into just about every conversation. It was like listening to a sticking record which got even stucker after she came back from some bible "college" in Pricksville, Minnesota with a "degree" that was worth less than a stunned mullet.

Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean that I can't relate to people in other ways. For example I'm hugely interested in philosophy, politics, technology etc. Indeed, I suspect that my Christianity isn't the only way in which I relate to my friends who are Christian as well. Believe it or not, it is valuable to get to know people for who they really are too. Most people I've met in Christian Unions (in UK and Ireland) would be much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

philologos wrote: »
    Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean that I can't relate to people in other ways. For example I'm hugely interested in philosophy, politics, technology etc. Indeed, I suspect that my Christianity isn't the only way in which I relate to my friends who are Christian as well. Believe it or not, it is valuable to get to know people for who they really are too. Most people I've met in Christian Unions (in UK and Ireland) would be much the same.

So you're not really christian?

So you're not really christian?

I'm not following? Are you telling me after all that we've been through that I'm not a Christian? :pac: I'd like to say I'm not hurt Mark, but I can't! :)

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    Is that you, Saul of Tarsus?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement