Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

“there is no basis for comparing or making analogies, even remotely, between homosexual unions and God’s plan for matrimony and the family.”

Could Cardinal Erdo please arrange for god to appear at the synod to outline what exactly this plan is?

Anyway Frank should rock up to the synod and roar at them "Who are you fúcks to question me? I'm fúckin infallible ya pack of baxtards!"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-john-paul-blood-poland-2393430-Oct2015/
    A VIAL CONTAINING Pope John Paul II’s blood was installed this week in the Polish parliament’s chapel for the veneration of devout Catholic lawmakers.

Next week they'll be all given rabbits feet for good luck when passing laws.....
    The percentage of Poles regularly attending Sunday mass fell to 39% in 2013 from 57% during the communist era, when the Catholic Church bolstered by John Paul’s papacy was an important refuge for the opposition.

Thats pretty interesting, so communism couldn't kill the catholic church but better education can :pac:

In many respects I suppose Poland is like Ireland was a few years ago when it comes to the church

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thats pretty interesting, so communism couldn't kill the catholic church but better education can :pac:
    In many respects I suppose Poland is like Ireland was a few years ago when it comes to the church
    Did it mention better education? I read it as the Catholic Church was a rallying point for opposition to the Communist regime....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Absolam wrote: »
    Did it mention better education? I read it as the Catholic Church was a rallying point for opposition to the Communist regime....

The communists eh?
    Was Ireland rallying against the Communist regime as well prior to its catholic mass attendance dropping from 91% in 1973 to 30% in 2011? What about the Netherlands?

Education and freedom of expression are the nails in the Catholics church coffin, when I say education I mean the freedom to actually examine and properly discuss issues as part of education. Not the narrowly defined, restricted and censored discussions of the past which included many topics against the church and issues of sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"The head of India's governing BJP party, Amit Shah, has reportedly rebuked four BJP politicians for making controversial statements about beef.
    One of them had remarked that those eating beef should be executed, even though it is not illegal.
    In recent weeks three Muslim men have been killed by Hindus accusing them of eating or smuggling beef.
    Most Hindus believe cows are sacred but many do eat beef, as do Muslims and Christians."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34566542

....mental, but there ye go.

• Advertisement

Absolam wrote: »

Barcelona football club was a rallying point for opposition to the fascist dictator.

Does that mean football is more important than the church? Well of course it is.

The communists eh? Was Ireland rallying against the Communist regime as well prior to its catholic mass attendance dropping from 91% in 1973 to 30% in 2011? What about the Netherlands?
    No idea; it's certainly not in the article you quoted anyway. What you quoted was "The percentage of Poles regularly attending Sunday mass fell to 39% in 2013 from 57% during the communist era, when the Catholic Church bolstered by John Paul’s papacy was an important refuge for the opposition." Now fair enough, they might have been opposing something other than the Communist regime (no idea what but...), still though, it doesn't mention anything about better education?
    Education and freedom of expression are the nails in the Catholics church coffin, when I say education I mean the freedom to actually examine and properly discuss issues as part of education. Not the narrowly defined, restricted and censored discussions of the past which included many topics against the church and issues of sex.
    Certainly a point of view. So when you say "communism couldn't kill the catholic church but better education can" you really mean "communism couldn't kill the catholic church but freedom to actually examine and properly discuss issues as part of education can"? Tough to take that from your quote in fairness; probably more accurate to say that people who felt the Catholic Church was an asset in opposing the Communist regime don't need it so much when the regime has been removed. Fits the story a bit better, wouldn't you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In Israel, A jew stacking supermarket shelves has been "mistakenly" stabbed by a jew. And an Eritrean asylum seeker has been beaten and shot to death by an angry mob. Both apparently mistaken for arabs.

I think this shows the importance of adhering strictly to the religious rules when it comes to wearing funny hats and arranging facial hair in peculiar ways. Especially when engaged in any type of work or pastime that is not considered typical for your religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zambia's currency has devalued by 45% since January. To address the problem, president Edgar Lungu declared yesterday to be a day of prayer and fasting.

http://www.thejournal.ie/zambia-currency-problems-pray-2392976-Oct2015/

Unfortunately, it seems god took a day off yesterday:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=ZMW&to=EUR&view=1Y

366073.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robindch wrote: »
    Zambia's currency has devalued by 45% since January. To address the problem, president Edgar Lungu declared yesterday to be a day of prayer and fasting.

I chuckled a little at the fact that the associated image is a man who looks like he just tried to kick a football and missed.

http://img0.thejournal.ie/inline/2392994/original/?width=349&version=2392994

I wonder could a journal.ie editor have been wiley enough to be using that image purposely as an illustration of the power of prayer.

Seriously though, that's terrifying. One would hope that if Brian Cowen had called a day of prayer to fix our economy back in 2010 that half the country would have marched on Leinster house and demanded a general election.

• Advertisement

Religion creates a problem. Then, conveniently, offers the services of expensive religious workers to put it right.

http://www.thejournal.ie/american-city-wires-ervu-2393765-Oct2015/

The wires are a new one on me, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Unfortunately, it seems god took a day off yesterday:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=ZMW&to=EUR&view=1Y

366073.png

Clearly busy helping fcuking Argentina.

MrP

Religion creates a problem. Then, conveniently, offers the services of expensive religious workers to put it right.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/american-city-wires-ervu-2393765-Oct2015/
    So by extending this eruv boundary around the city, they create a "cheat" which allows them to ignore their own religious rules about not being allowed to carry anything whenever they are outside the house? If I'm reading that right, it is really bizarre.

recedite wrote: »
    And an Eritrean asylum seeker has been beaten and shot to death by an angry mob.
    I think this shows the importance of adhering strictly to the religious rules when it comes to wearing funny hats and arranging facial hair in peculiar ways. Especially when engaged in any type of work or pastime that is not considered typical for your religion.
    Saw the video of this this morning (the actual video I saw was just too horrible to link). Grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unfortunately not unprecedented as someone might once sort of have said. It's saddening to imagine how that guy must have felt having fled violence only to be beaten to death by a mob in a shopping mall.

One of the main reasons that religious people (including church leaders) give as a benefit of religion is the comfort that it gives people in their hour of need an all that.

Then you have a real prick of a bishop in Kerry trying to make funerals all about the church rather than about the mourners. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bishop-urged-to-help-mourners-at-kerry-funerals-360065.html
    Mourning in Kerry churches has been a vexed issue over the years, and guidelines under the former Bishop of Kerry, Dr Bill Murphy, sought to curb what was seen by some as the growth in more pagan practices — the overuse of inappropriate secular music, personal mementoes, and lengthy personal reflections within the church during funeral Masses.

Of course the catholic church never appropriated pagan practices and rituals as part of it's makeup.

So by extending this eruv boundary around the city, they create a "cheat" which allows them to ignore their own religious rules about not being allowed to carry anything whenever they are outside the house?
    Yes, that's about the height of it.

If I'm understanding a lot of rabbinic thought correctly, this is quite common - first, you create a religious ruling which generates significant discombobulation, then you sell a religious service which bypasses the ruling.

Multiply for generations, and before you know it, you've got guys in skull caps weaving back and forth in front of walls, other guys blowing themselves up and of course, you have this:

Then you have a real prick of a bishop in Kerry trying to make funerals all about the church rather than about the mourners. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bishop-urged-to-help-mourners-at-kerry-funerals-360065.html
    Bishop can set the rules of etiquette inside his own church.
    But WTF has it got to do with Kerry Co. Council ?
    The zombie on a stick that was installed in the council chamber last year must be affecting their minds. They really need to make some attempt down there to separate local government from RCC.
    Fianna Fáil councillor Dan McCarthy has placed a motion on the council agenda asking Kerry County Council to ask Bishop Ray Browne to “allow time after funeral masses for people to sympathise with the bereaved families in the Church in parishes where this is not allowed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

One of the main reasons that religious people (including church leaders) give as a benefit of religion is the comfort that it gives people in their hour of need an all that.

Of course the catholic church never appropriated pagan practices and rituals as part of it's makeup.

The Bishop of Meath started doing the same thing around two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,488 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So by extending this eruv boundary around the city, they create a "cheat" which allows them to ignore their own religious rules about not being allowed to carry anything whenever they are outside the house? If I'm reading that right, it is really bizarre.

Kind of a Hasidic up up down down left right left right select start

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Kind of a Hasidic up up down down left right left right select start

Is that the code to add the invulnerability forcefield like this one?

plastic-man-on-airplane1.jpg?w=477

• Advertisement

^^^ I always felt that nature itself had an appropriate response to people who felt that their religion required themselves to seal themselves inside a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you have to find such extraordinary ways of cheating your way out of adhering to tenets of your faith... you don't have faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^^ I always felt that nature itself had an appropriate response to people who felt that their religion required themselves to seal themselves inside a plastic bag.
    I've always wondered if these kinds of people ever thought about the absurdity of placing themselves inside a plastic bag while travelling 10,000m up in the air at 600km/h inside an aluminium tube, because a 5,000 year old book written by people who had just discovered bronze, told them to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hang on! That is a real pic?? I assumed it was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a protest.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is a real pic?
    Apparently so:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/12/orthodox-jew-covers-plastic-bag-plane-remain-pure-cemetery-picture_n_3067344.html

Seemingly, the guy is a direct descendant of the high priests of the original Jewish temple, so, according to a religious ruling issued by one Rabbi Yosef Eliashiv, such descendants cannot walk into or fly over a cemetery on pain of being found ritually "impure". However, some while later, the same Rabbi Eliashiv found a solution which he delivered in a second religious ruling which stated that if one wrapped oneself in a thick plastic bag while the plane was in transit, then ritual impurity did not occur.

I refer you to yesterday's post on a similar topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

However, some while later, the same Rabbi Eliashiv found a solution which he delivered in a second religious ruling which stated that if one wrapped oneself in a thick plastic bag while the plane was in transit, then ritual impurity did not occur.

I refer you to yesterday's post on a similar topic.

How thick? Would a large Penneys' bag suffice?
    I presume air-holes (for this asshole) are not allowed in the bag, as that would be cheating (impure), so how does he breathe?

We want more answers about this man in a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kivaro wrote: »
    How thick? Would a large Penneys' bag suffice?
    I presume air-holes (for this asshole) are not allowed in the bag, as that would be cheating (impure), so how does he breathe?

We want more answers about this man in a condom.

I suppose that since he is doing god's will, god will not allow him to suffocate. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

When you get to make the rules you'd think you'd make up something more practical than a plastic bag, say a large aluminium tube for instance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,488 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If he expires, is everyone on the plane getting the boil-in-the-bag kosher meal?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement