Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Nodin wrote: »
    Well isn't that her own fault for going with the wrong religion.

Reminds me of that part in Father Ted:

Bishop Brennan: "Of all gods? What other gods are there Crilly?"

Father Ted: "Eh eh eh eh....False gods?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Why so? Cost?

Massive cuts to legal aid. Off topic for here but have a read about it, access to justice in the UK has been decimated.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Why so? Cost?

The tories have decimated legal aid over there, essentially making it a preserve of the ultra rich looking for libel claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I found this BBC article about how the Georgian Orthodox Church is tightening its hold on Georgia, much like its Russian counterpart. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 26,272 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The tories have decimated legal aid over there, essentially making it a preserve of the ultra rich looking for libel claims.
    You've never been able to get legal aid for libel claims in the UK, and you still can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Meh - civil legal aid, outside of family law cases, is practically non-existent in Ireland.

Anyway. from the 'quelle surprise' department:

Archbishop Diarmuid Martin to vote No in referendum
    “Bishops regularly speak out on social issues and their comments are often – if not always – welcomed.

He must be living in some sort of bubble if he thinks bishops' comments on social issues are 'often' welcomed.
    Indeed they are often criticised for not taking positions on social issues.

Yet they always get their spake in - AKA trying to wield their power as they successfully did so often in the past, imposing catholic doctrine on everyone using fear, threats and bullying - dinosaurs hastening their own extinction
    In the heated debate today this relevance of rational reflection inspired by religious belief is being reduced by some at times to a level of banality in which faith in Jesus Christ and his teaching is being placed on the level of belief in leprechauns,” he said.

There's as much evidence for leprechauns... and frankly christianity is more fantastical and ridiculous than most fairy tales (those two words automatically trigger the 'you're disrespecting my religion etc etc' alert :rolleyes: - why, yes, yes I am disrespecting your religion - try to deal rationally with that.)

Response in today's Irish Times:
    Sir, – Archbishop Diarmuid Martin claims religious belief was being placed, by some, at the level of belief in leprechauns (“Archbishop Diarmuid Martin to vote No in referendum”, May 6th). In saying so, he continues in the same vein as his namesake, Archbishop Eamon Martin, who has recently suggested that Catholics are reluctant to express a view on same-sex marriage for fear of appearing homophobic. The overall view seems to be that Catholics are being marginalised.

In the 2011 census, 84 per cent of respondents identified themselves as being Catholic. The Catholic Church is the patron of 90 per cent of primary schools.

Is the Catholic Church a put-upon minority or a powerful majority? It surely cannot be both. – Yours, etc,

NEIL CONDON,

Dublin 4.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...rational reflection inspired by religious belief...
    I sniggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Meh - civil legal aid, outside of family law cases, is practically non-existent in Ireland.

Anyway. from the 'quelle surprise' department:

Archbishop Diarmuid Martin to vote No in referendum

He must be living in some sort of bubble if he thinks bishops' comments on social issues are 'often' welcomed.

Yet they always get their spake in - AKA trying to wield their power as they successfully did so often in the past, imposing catholic doctrine on everyone using fear, threats and bullying - dinosaurs hastening their own extinction

There's as much evidence for leprechauns... and frankly christianity is more fantastical and ridiculous than most fairy tales (those two words automatically trigger the 'you're disrespecting my religion etc etc' alert :rolleyes: - why, yes, yes I am disrespecting your religion - try to deal rationally with that.)

Response in today's Irish Times:

Of course! Dinosaurs produced so much hot air it made them extinct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Is he saying the leprechauns will be voting No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    Is he saying the leprechauns will be voting No?

Well I'd say Higgins will vote "yes" anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A genuine election manifesto from a candidate in the UK General Election. Thankfully, they'll probably get about 5 votes. But still, just shows how nutcases still try to push their sickening agenda on the public.

CDh8lW6W0AEkwFO.jpg

Good laugh on current affairs shows, I'd say.

You say your problem is with the gay agenda.
    The homosexual agenda is against God.
    But God isn't running for office, you are.
    The homosexual agenda wants to remove God from the public square.
    You want to recriminalise homosexuality. Where are you going to find the prison space?
    Filthy gays will be kept separate from the rest of the prison population.

Actually, here's a video. I'd defend her right to run for office, assuming she'd defend my right to call her views nonsense.

Well, obviously she'd need somewhere to concentrate all of those godless deviants...somewhere large and outdoors, like a massive camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Well, obviously she'd need somewhere to concentrate all of those godless deviants...somewhere large and outdoors, like a massive camp?

a concentration of camp, if you will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Actually, here's a video.
    Google returned this page when I went looking "frank lombard". Any soccer-heads know why Ms White might be concerned by the activities of a Man-U midfielder?

robindch wrote: »
    Google returned this page when I went looking "frank lombard". Any soccer-heads know why Ms White might be concerned by the activities of a Man-U midfielder?

We don't have him, he's a Man City boy, and previously under Cheaty McCheat and Wide Boy 'Arry in that London.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How very dare you. Oo dear? 'Im dear? United dear? No dear.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You've never been able to get legal aid for libel claims in the UK, and you still can't.
    I think he meant access to courts/justice, rather than legal aid.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think he meant access to courts/justice, rather than legal aid.

MrP

And, considering that libel is unique in UK law in that the defendant has to prove their innocence and not the prosecution the defendant's guilt, they almost inevitably lose the case with costs awarded against them. And as in most cases it's the rich suing the not very rich (or outright poor), all too often it is the state that ends up picking the rich bastards' legal costs.

So yes, essentially the only people getting easy access to legal aid are rich libel suers.

Castro less revolutionary than before:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32679290

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You can't blame an 84 year old for hedging their bets.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You can't blame an 84 year old for hedging their bets.

I'm reminded of the story of the elderly gent on his deathbed receiving last rites. The priest asked him "do you reject Satan?", upon which the old geezer opens one eye, fixes it upon the worthy reverend, and says: "it's a bit late in the day to be making enemies, father!"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,272 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

And, considering that libel is unique in UK law in that the defendant has to prove their innocence and not the prosecution the defendant's guilt, they almost inevitably lose the case with costs awarded against them. And as in most cases it's the rich suing the not very rich (or outright poor), all too often it is the state that ends up picking the rich bastards' legal costs.

So yes, essentially the only people getting easy access to legal aid are rich libel suers.
    Nearly all defendants in libel cases are media companies. Where a journalist is sued along with the media company that printed or broadcast the piece, the media company indemnifies the journalist, and carries the risk of damages and costs. The journalist's professional reputation and standing may be on the line, but not her wallet.

And, if the media company loses, the state doe not pick up the costs. Not even Rupert Murdoch can swing that! I'm still not seeing where you think legal aid comes into this. Rich or poor, neither the plaintiffs nor the defendants in a libel case can get legal aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Castro less revolutionary than before:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32679290
    It seems that both Canada and the Holy See acted as intermediaries/ brokers in the Cuba thaw. Which they should be commended for.
    Even so, it was something whose time had come anyway. I'm not too pleased to see the UN being sidelined. As an institution it was created for this sort of thing. The US never likes to see the UN getting too much credibility, just in case the US wants to overrule it some time.

Vicenza, near Venice, hosts a peculiar fashion show each year - unmissable if you're in the area, I'd say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32625662

348377.jpg

348376.jpg

There's something very Father Ted-ish about that. :pac:

Afghan clerics uneasy as civil rights movement gains momentum

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/10/uk-afghanistan-women-clerics-insight-idUKKBN0NV0VL20150510?irpc=932
    Reuters wrote:
    Powerful religious leaders in Afghanistan are growing uneasy about the challenge to their authority posed by rare civil rights protests in Kabul and widespread anger over the lynching of a young woman wrongly accused of burning a Koran. The highest religious authority, the Ulema Council, exerts considerable influence in a country that remains deeply conservative despite significant changes since the hardline Islamist Taliban fell in 2001.

But a series of demonstrations in the capital Kabul promoting women's rights has prompted the clerics to threaten to withdraw support for President Ashraf Ghani in a challenge to his new government. Some Ulema members say that Ghani, who took office in September, has failed to consult with them and seek their advice to the same extent that his predecessor, Hamid Karzai, did.

Numbering some 3,000 clerics and scholars, and headed by a 150-strong National Council, the Ulema can sway public opinion significantly through mosques across the country that are still the main source of Afghan social cohesion. In recent months, a women's rights activist walked around Kabul in a body suit with large breasts and buttocks. In another demonstration, a group of men assembled in public wearing all-covering blue burqas worn by most women in Afghanistan.

"We ask the government to tell them (civil rights groups) to stop. Otherwise, we know how to stop them," Ulema Council member Enayatullah Baligh, an adviser to the president and university lecturer, told Reuters at his office.

"I have 7,000 supporters who will obey any orders I give them. I can turn Kabul city upside down."

[...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Georgia School Principal Makes Racist Comment, Then Blames Satan

Another secular/atheist blogger, Ananta Bijoy Das, has been assassinated in Bangladesh on his way to work:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32701001

Ananta had blogged on a site once moderated by Avijit Roy who was hacked to death in February. Another blogger, Washiqur Rahman, was murdered in March.

The site is here.

The daughter of a fundamentalist preacher came out as an atheist. Her parents replied to her by email, thusly:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Got told my life has no meaning or purpose from the altar at a funeral on Monday. Afterwards, I had to explain to my two eldest (who had made the trip with me) why the priest said something so horrible. Thought of this at the time...

gbs_zpseyyxv0rl.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement