Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Every right thinking person should be prepared to make some small sacrifice for "the community" even where the cost/benefits ratio to themselves personally does not add up. Even if this means just picking up a piece of broken glass from the sand when leaving a beach that you will not be returning to. Or trying not to contribute to global warming. Martyring yourself is something else entirely.
    Getting back to this Nigerian guy, we don't know much about him, but I would not be surprised if he was somewhat "unorthodox" mentally, perhaps he is further along than most on the autistic spectrum. Maybe the local mullahs are using this as an excuse to incarcerate him, because he has challenged their belief system. When in fact a guy like that could be a valuable member of society, given the right job. He could be a Nigerian version of Sheldon Cooper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

recedite wrote: »
    Every right thinking person should be prepared to make some small sacrifice for "the community" even where the cost/benefits ratio to themselves personally does not add up.

This is interesting when you consider the highly individualistic nature of right wing American christianity found in the Republican Party.

I meant right as opposed to wrong, in terms of ethics, but yes right wing politics is more individualistic than left wing. Whether right wingers are excessively so is open to debate. They would obviously not agree with that themselves. But looking at the character of Jesus in the bible, he is portrayed as a lefty, and not individualistic at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Now and again something happens to remind one that there was a time when being in a certain kind band was viewed as almost being in a subversive organisation. Unfortunately its still like that in certain places.....

I recommend the video, as it shows some rarely seen Russian Orthodox martial arts.
    http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/marilyn-manson-shows-in-russia-cancelled-thanks-to-religious-extremists

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Could pubs be open on Dry Friday next year? Fine Gael's Imelda Henry seems to think it's a runner.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-good-friday-1552389-Jul2014/
    “THE CLOSURE OF pubs on Good Friday is a legacy of our past which does not recognise the massive changes in the country and the manner in which pubs have changed in recent times. I believe it is high time we moved on from this outdated law.”
    That’s the view of Fine Gael Imelda Henry who has published a Bill that would make it legal for pubs to serve alcohol on Good Friday. The legislation will soon be debated in the Seanad. Henry is a publican from Sligo who was nominated to the upper house by the Vintners Federation of Ireland. She said that the ban was “no longer realistic”, but added that pub owners could remain closed on Good Friday if they wished to do so for religious reasons.
    “The Irish pub has evolved significantly in recent years. Almost 60% of Irish pubs now serve food. I believe that it is no longer realistic to expect one key sector in our hospitality industry to close on a day when shops, restaurants and other businesses are open.

The pub is an intrinsic part of the Irish tourism experience, both for domestic and international visitors. Research shows that pubs are one of the top three tourist experiences and one of Ireland’s top selling points.

At Easter weekend, a time when many people take a break, I believe they should be able to avail of the Irish pub experience. If any publican wishes to remain closed on Good Friday for religious reasons they would of course be free to do so.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

If the pubs close will I be expected to work good Friday? I'd rather the free day off to be honest

The Egyptian government decides to deploy a team of psychiatrists to "eradicate atheism" and other kinds of "profanity" from the country:

http://richarddawkins.net/2014/06/govt-announces-campaign-to-save-youth-from-atheism/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is phase one of the psychiatrists plan to take over the galaxy. Mark my words!

robindch wrote: »
    The Egyptian government decides to deploy a team of psychiatrists to "eradicate atheism" and other kinds of "profanity" from the country:

http://richarddawkins.net/2014/06/govt-announces-campaign-to-save-youth-from-atheism/
    Turky pointed to the ongoing standoff between politics and religion, and arguments concerning how those two realms should ideally interact, as direct causes for an upsurge in both religious extremism and atheism.
    “The ongoing conflict will lead youth to either be religious extremists or push them more toward profanity and atheism,” Turky claimed.
    He seems to be saying that the youth now recognise the part religion has played in fueling the ongoing conflict, and so they either choose to join in the fight as fundamentalists, or opt out as atheists. Interesting that he singles out the Sinai peninsula as the worst offender. Its a touristy area between Israel and Eqypt, long exposed to westerners visiting the Red Sea resorts on the southern tip of Sinai, and quite a few Israeli tourists go there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »
    He seems to be saying that the youth now recognise the part religion has played in fueling the ongoing conflict, and so they either choose to join in the fight as fundamentalists, or opt out as atheists. Interesting that he singles out the Sinai peninsula as the worst offender. Its a touristy area between Israel and Eqypt, long exposed to westerners visiting the Red Sea resorts on the southern tip of Sinai, and quite a few Israeli tourists go there too.

Actually the probable reason is a bit more prosaic. Sinai is a stronghold of the Muslim Brotherhood, so it is the main focus of the opposition to the military dictatorship which overthrew Morsi in a coup d'etat (not that I'm a fan of Morsi or the MB, but a democratically elected president is the rightful leader of a country no matter how much you dislike him, and also the military is a lot worse than the MB in Egypt).

• Advertisement

Yes, on re-reading the article he says "previously" they targeted religious fundamentalism in Sinai. Now it seems that they will target atheism and lack of belief, presumably as a sop to keep the MB supporters "less unhappy".
    In Sinai the native Bedouin typically live inland, are uneducated, are very religious and generally resent any Israeli presence (with good reason).
    Egyptians working in the resorts on the coast are very different, much more laid back and open to Israeli and western people and ideas (and money).

"Russian Priest: World Cup is a ‘homosexual abomination’ because players wear gay shoes"

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/07/priest-world-cup-is-a-homosexual-abomination-because-players-wear-gay-shoes
    Pink News wrote:
    A Russian Orthodox Priest has claimed that the World Cup is an abomination because players wear brightly-coloured shoes. Writing in his column on Russian People’s Line, Priest Alexander Shumsky claimed that players are promoting a “gay rainbow” by wearing green, pink, yellow and blue shoes.

He said: “Wearing pink or blue shoes, [the players] might as well wear women’s panties or a bra. “The liberal ideology of globalism clearly wants to oppose Christianity with football. I’m sure of it. “Therefore I am glad that the Russian players have failed and, by the grace of God, no longer participate in this homosexual abomination.”

Russia exited the competition in the group stages, failing to win any of their three matches. The priest also criticized the “unthinkable” hairstyles of some of the players in the tournament. Last week, FIFA’s anti-discrimination boss criticised its lack of action against homophobic chants at World Cup matches.

Fans of both Brazil and Mexico fans were heard chanting homophobic insults, but FIFA dropped its investigation against Mexico, concluding that anti-gay chants by the country’s fans were “not considered insulting”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »
    "Russian Priest: World Cup is a ‘homosexual abomination’ because players wear gay shoes"

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/07/priest-world-cup-is-a-homosexual-abomination-because-players-wear-gay-shoes

My guess is that he lost big at the bookies and is sore over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually know a few Catholics who took to the running craze that has engulfed the country. They don't agree with yoga because of spiritual stuff. However, when they heard yoga supposedly prevents injuries they started practising it. It's ok though because it isn't for spiritual reasons. Dafuq?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just discovered one of our old UCC Electrical Engineering lecturers has a Jesus-blog. He reads like an academic Waters; one of the titles is The divergence of faith and faculty. Has put a whole new perspective on the time I laughed off being told that 009dccbbf95905d8dccfe22da6eba7f8.png was proof of god.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Actually know a few Catholics who took to the running craze that has engulfed the country. They don't agree with yoga because of spiritual stuff. However, when they heard yoga supposedly prevents injuries they started practising it. It's ok though because it isn't for spiritual reasons. Dafuq?

I was under the impression that Yoga (as practised in the "West"), was stripped of Religious connotations......

The stretching exercises are irreligious, but there is some element of commonality between chanting prayers in a church and meditation/mind relaxation during yoga, such that there is an element of competion between the two. Plus the fear that it can lead to "Buddhism through the back door".

There seems to be a big craze for angels at the moment too. Someone says the other day "are you interested in angels?" as if it was a TV program or a sport or something. You'd think the church authorities would be concerned about the wackyness of that, but it doesnt lead anywhere except back to Christianity in the end, so they don't seem to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

I came across that stuff a few years ago. To my utter bafflement I came across a group of about 16 middle-aged ladies who seemed to be enthusiastically engaging in what I can only describe as re-inventing a vaguely Christian-based animism.

They had little statues and shrines, passed angel-booklets around, made little offerings and prayers to these angels, swapped anecdotes on how these angels had helped them in various miraculous ways and seemed to be quite enthusiastic about the whole thing.

I was fascinated. It was like watching a new type of Voodoo being born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ramadan on again ... ridicolous , people working in jobs that they are responsible for the safety of others (drivers etc) and they are hungry and a danger to themselves and others.

But it has a "religious" reason so they can't be touched for it - if I did the same and said "I'm on an extreme diet" i'd be sacked.

RTE radio being PC and giving this rubbish air time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ramadan on again ... ridicolous , people working in jobs that they are responsible for the safety of others (drivers etc) and they are hungry and a danger to themselves and others.

But it has a "religious" reason so they can't be touched for it - if I did the same and said "I'm on an extreme diet" i'd be sacked.

RTE radio being PC and giving this rubbish air time...

Can't say i agree with you, i'm generally of the opinion that people have the right to diet as they see fit. As long as no one else is adversely affect by their actions.

I see it as a civil liberties issue, not a religious one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Can't say i agree with you, i'm generally of the opinion that people have the right to diet as they see fit. As long as no one else is adversely affect by their actions.

Normally I'd agree, but when they are putting other peoples lives in danger it's not on , I had a friend in holiday in Morocco last year and he told me how the bus driver nearly crashed, also his taxi driver had an incident too , maybe it's not a big deal in Ireland, but in most of the muslim world it's quite hot right now :D

TheChizler wrote: »
    that 009dccbbf95905d8dccfe22da6eba7f8.png was proof of god.

I duck duck goed "mathematical proof of god" to see how they try and justify that statement (if you have such handy I'd be happy to receive a link), and came across this nuttyness from Ask.com. A funny read, if it weren't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm watching "Jesus Camp" on Netflix right now, and...bloody hell, it's like the camp workers and attendees are a Christian ISIS (not the agency Sterling Archer works for, of course).

"FORMER presidential candidate and Eurovision song contest winner Dana Rosemary Scallon arranged treatment for her brother in the 1970s after he was accused of indecently assaulting a child, a court has heard.

The opening day of the trial of John Brown (60) - who is accused of five charges of indecent assault against two children - heard Ms Scallon told the child’s mother that he had been cured after seeing a priest. "
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dana-told-childs-mother-her-sex-abuse-accused-brother-would-be-cured-by-priest-court-hears-30419238.html

Sweet jesus tonight.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I duck duck goed "mathematical proof of god" to see how they try and justify that statement (if you have such handy I'd be happy to receive a link), and came across this nuttyness from Ask.com. A funny read, if it weren't so sad.

It always amuses me how the mathematical proofs of god inevitably are based on unjustified initial assumptions, universe came from nothing, which obviously translates directly to 0 + 0 = 1 etc.

It wasn't online unfortunately, just us taking notes from him drawing on an overhead. 1/sqrt(8.8541878176.. × 10−12 F⋅m^−1 * 1.2566370614...×10−6 H⋅m^−1) equals the speed of light in free space, which of course is too perfect a coincidence therefore perfectly designed, therefore goddidit. The class just looked around at each other assuming he was joking after he said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nodin wrote: »
    "FORMER presidential candidate and Eurovision song contest winner Dana Rosemary Scallon arranged treatment for her brother in the 1970s after he was accused of indecently assaulting a child, a court has heard.

The opening day of the trial of John Brown (60) - who is accused of five charges of indecent assault against two children - heard Ms Scallon told the child’s mother that he had been cured after seeing a priest. "
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dana-told-childs-mother-her-sex-abuse-accused-brother-would-be-cured-by-priest-court-hears-30419238.html

Sweet jesus tonight.......

It looks like Dana couldn't care less about a foetus when it's born.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm watching "Jesus Camp" on Netflix right now, and...bloody hell, it's like the camp workers and attendees are a Christian ISIS (not the agency Sterling Archer works for, of course).

Saw that alright - jaysus they really hate Harry Potter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I remember watching one of those Police Camera Action type shows maybe about two years ago. A Muslim police officer was chasing a suspect but couldn't catch him. He said himself that if he wasn't fasting for Ramadan he might have been able to catch him.

I agree completely that people have a right to fast if they want, whether it's for religious reasons or not. But there are times when fasting can have consequences on your ability to perform your job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

TheChizler wrote: »
    It wasn't online unfortunately, just us taking notes from him drawing on an overhead. 1/sqrt(8.8541878176.. × 10−12 F⋅m^−1 * 1.2566370614...×10−6 H⋅m^−1) equals the speed of light in free space, which of course is too perfect a coincidence therefore perfectly designed, therefore goddidit. The class just looked around at each other assuming he was joking after he said this.

The whole point (in my mind anyway) of c = somefunction(mu, epsilon) is that light is a wave, and waves travel at speeds dependent on the properties of the medium. So the equation is entirely unsurprising.

It's not like c, mu and epsilon are three random constants picked out of thin air that magically satisfy the equation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement