Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

bigmo2310 wrote: »
    robindch wrote: »
    Life in a Christian 'fundamentalist' school in the UK

This thing that I dont get about this is how is there not more fuss over what these schools teach. What do OFSTED do all day? This school teaches that evolution doesnt exist or that homosexuality is wrong! Can you imagine if someone opened an independant school teaching that Hitler was right, or that the second world war never happened, or worse still if this was an islamic school? The Daily mail would jizz in their pants over the amount of leverage they could give that. Its an absolute joke.

My feeling is that everyone is afraid of being accused of not being PC. You are not allowed to say that some values are simply wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

bigmo2310 wrote: »
    This thing that I dont get about this is how is there not more fuss over what these schools teach. What do OFSTED do all day? This school teaches that evolution doesnt exist or that homosexuality is wrong! Can you imagine if someone opened an independant school teaching that Hitler was right, or that the second world war never happened, or worse still if this was an islamic school? The Daily mail would jizz in their pants over the amount of leverage they could give that. Its an absolute joke.

The thing about the current government and Tubercollosis Baccilli's before it is that they are very keen on religiosity. Therefore any school with a religious push (unless it's a muslim push in a state comp.) gets severe lattitude for what it can and can't do.

For example in the early days of TB, it was revealed that he pushed Emmanuel Schools Foundation, a company set up by Peter Vardy (a man who got rich off selling cars in the NE of England) specifically to set up schools that taught creationism and other nutball christian ideas, very strongly in the academisation process (where a person could get to own a state built, state maintained and state staffed school for a one-off payment of £2m, about 1/10 of the annual maintenance costs of the average school back in the '90's {must have been looking at the Irish system}). When it was revealed TB said of it:
    “I’ve visited one of the schools in question and as far as I’m aware they are teaching the curriculum in a normal way. If I notice creationism becoming the mainstream of the education system in this country then that’s the time to start worrying."

And then you've got the current situation where Ofsted will send people sharing the religion of a religious school to inspect them. And the more fundamentalist the school, the more fundamentalist the inspector, if possible. So you get people who think it is their duty to protect the spreading of the gospel/torah/[insert holy book] message going in and deciding on the fitness of the educational system an increasing percentage of the English & Welsh youth are experiencing (as academisation and "free" schools are being forced in everywhere, and taking over a large part of the education system).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭the_eman

A reservoir of water 3 times larger than all the oceans identified near Earth's core? How about we name it 'The Sea of Noah'?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25723-massive-ocean-discovered-towards-earths-core.html#.U5t_Sioa3y4.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

the_eman wrote: »
    A reservoir of water 3 times larger than all the oceans identified near Earth's core? How about we name it 'The Sea of Noah'?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25723-massive-ocean-discovered-towards-earths-core.html#.U5t_Sioa3y4.twitter

Oh I'm sure some already have...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know this sounds bad, but anyone got a more reputable source than New Scientist?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    I know this sounds bad, but anyone got a more reputable source than New Scientist?

I know what you mean, my brother once described NS to me as the Daily Mail of the popular scientific literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭the_eman

I know what you mean, my brother once described NS to me as the Daily Mail of the popular scientific literature.

So I wonder when the flood waters come over the people in Noah's time were the people saying "Ohh, maybe we should have paid heed to those trashy old lower class rags we tend to look down upon".

http://blueandgreentomorrow.com/2014/06/13/huge-underground-ocean-discovered-near-earths-core/

"The water is not in liquid form – it is not even ice or vapor. It is trapped inside the molecular structure of the minerals acting like sponges in the mantle rock. Thanks to the intense pressure and temperatures of more than 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, some water is squeezed out of the rock as if it were sweating, lead author of the study Steve Jacobsen, of Northwestern University, explained ".

I think it would take a very long time for the flood to have happened that way, and before you say 'but God can do anything!', why not give up trying to find scientific explanations then? Just say to everything 'God did it!'. I asked this question in primary school and was told to stand in the back of the class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So I wonder when the flood waters come over the people in Noah's time were the people saying "Ohh, maybe we should have paid heed to those trashy old lower class rags we tend to look down upon".

No, because there was no "Noah's time" or flood.

It rained a bit heavily somewhere in the middle east for a few days a couple of thousand years ago and somehow the story got blown out of all proportion...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but I don't treat fictional stories as if they were true. Please either try to find a real event to fit your analogy, or rework your analogy to acknowledge the fictionality of the "flood" and the books from which you got the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

obplayer wrote: »
    http://blueandgreentomorrow.com/2014/06/13/huge-underground-ocean-discovered-near-earths-core/

"The water is not in liquid form – it is not even ice or vapor. It is trapped inside the molecular structure of the minerals acting like sponges in the mantle rock. Thanks to the intense pressure and temperatures of more than 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, some water is squeezed out of the rock as if it were sweating, lead author of the study Steve Jacobsen, of Northwestern University, explained ".

It's almost as if creationists are ignoring this bit because it dumps another few shovelfuls of dirt onto the grave of their myth's scientific accuracy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

10296155_833186763377629_121438443471228505_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It is funny to think that a common criticism against atheists is that because they don't believe in God/afterlife, there's nothing to stop them going out and killing people. Yet if someone did go out and kill people, but then started believing in God/afterlife, that's fine. Welcome to Heaven, buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wonder if those Christians would be so welcoming if they knew that Dahmer was gay.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/mcaleese-asking-bishops-advise-on-family-life-bonkers-1.1834452
    Former president Mary McAleese has described as “completely bonkers” Pope Francis’s plan to ask a synod of bishops to advise him on whether church teaching on the family should change.

She said there was “just something profoundly wrong and skewed” about asking “150 male celibates” to review the Catholic Church’s teaching on family life.

Commenting on a planned October synod in Rome on the issue, she said: “The very idea of 150 people who have decided they are not going to have any children, not going to have families, not going to be fathers and not going to be spouses - so they have no adult experience of family life as the rest of us know it - but they are going to advise the pope on family life; it is completely bonkers.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/the-cumulative-effect-of-scandals-has-a-devastating-impact-on-the-church-1.1834370
    The cumulative effect of scandals has a devastating impact on the Church
    <snip>
    Church people are angry too. It’s easy to say that was then and this is now, that society was different 50 years ago, but one expects the church to operate to a higher moral standard, irrespective of time or place.

Church people are also angry that this story has been spun in a sensationalist way that presents the church in the worst possible light.

There is also the gleeful anger of those presented with another opportunity to crucify the church. They are genuinely outraged by the Tuam revelations, but they are thrilled that the church is on the defensive again. Comments on social media reveal the depth of their antipathy.

I mean, really???

I'm not thrilled, I'm sickened, angry and appalled - but not one bit surprised, unfortunately.

Nobody wants more revelations of shocking scandals like this. It'd be nice to think that there are no more horrors still to be discovered, but sadly that's unlikely to be the case. We must expose the whole truth as best we can.

The church does know where all the bodies are buried, though, including the scandals that haven't yet come to light. They want as much as possible of past scandal to be hidden and forgotten about, they want the things which are revealed to be drip-fed over as long a period as possible. They want the public to become desensitised to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/mcaleese-asking-bishops-advise-on-family-life-bonkers-1.1834452
    Former president Mary McAleese has described as “completely bonkers” Pope
    Francis’s plan to ask a synod of bishops to advise him on whether church
    teaching on the family should change.

She said there was “just something
    profoundly wrong and skewed” about asking “150 male celibates” to review the
    Catholic Church’s teaching on family life.

Commenting on a planned
    October synod in Rome on the issue, she said: “The very idea of 150 people who
    have decided they are not going to have any children, not going to have
    families, not going to be fathers and not going to be spouses - so they have no
    adult experience of family life as the rest of us know it - but they are going
    to advise the pope on family life; it is completely bonkers.”
    It was something like this that got me on the path to atheism. When I was about 12 the priest was giving a homily about how to raise children and I remember thinking 'what does he know about raising children, he doesn't have any'. That got me thinking about what else he might be talking about that he didn't know anything about, and here I am now, godless, all because Fr. L. waffled on about something he was ignorant about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

So... among the many awful things written in this terrible piece
    Though some critics will never believe it, and no institution can ever be perfect, [..]

An organization that let 800 dead babies die in it's care is "not perfect" that might be the worlds greatest understatement.
    the church is a far safer environment now for the vulnerable than ever before.
    :

Safer?... than a place that institutionalized rape and helped hide paedophiles within it's ranks... it sure as **** better be, the bar could not possibly be any lower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

kylith wrote: »
    I wonder if those Christians would be so welcoming if they knew that Dahmer was gay.
    From my understanding of it, they think he has been cured of that, and all his other vices, by the "grace of god" falling upon him. Shortly before he got beaten to death. A brutal death probably makes him seem holy in their eyes. Atonement and martyrdom and all that $hit.

• Advertisement

The religion of peace claims more victims:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27862510
    At least 48 people have died after al-Qaeda-linked militants attacked hotels and a police station in a Kenyan coastal town, officials say.
    The BBC's Anne Soy in Mpeketoni says she was told the gunmen shot dead anyone who was unable to recite verses from the Koran.

It's a funny commonality with "liberalism" and Christianity, the "sure we're all as bad as each other" stuff. :pac:

A confession.

Today I -

- voluntarily attended a church, despite the fact that no ceremony on behalf of a friend or relative was taking place;

- voluntarily contributed to a church collection;

- brought my children along to participate in the madness;

:eek:

It's our 'village' (large suburb) festival this weekend and as part of this, our local CoI is having an open day. Seeing as Kid A goes the CoI school next door (and Kid B is on the waiting list) we thought we'd see what the story is with all this crazy non-RC worship thing. It's not the way we were brought up!

I wasn't sure if it was worse to be a catholic (-ex!) or atheist going in there, but in spite of all the things I was told in my upbringing, I didn't burst into flames and it all looked deceptively normal in there. Quite nice and neat and tidy actually. That's them protestants for you, lure you in with order and bake sales and cleanliness :pac:

Turned out the fella snoozing in a deck chair at the door was the vicar, he's a laid back kinda guy :)

We went up to the upper level, the ability to play 'C'mon baby light my fire' on the church organ would have been phenomenal but the flesh was lacking. Had a Father Dougal 'do not press this button' moment when passing the bell rope, although I resisted the temptation, but no sooner had we gone down the stairs than someone else rang it :rolleyes: and the vicar didn't even mind. Bah.

Put a few quid into the restoration fund. It can do with it and it's an architectural landmark nationally never mind locally.

Went out back and looked at the 1000 year old celtic crosses and wondered whose unmarked grave I may have been standing on to do so :eek: there's part of an old church wall too which is a national monument

There's a round tower across the road but that long since ceased to be part of the church's property, although it must have been at one point. At least the OPW seem to be doing a good job of looking after it. We got tickets to a tour of it last year (didn't apply this year as Kid B is too young and would object to being left out) and a heritage centre is due to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ninja900 banned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Turtwig wrote: »
    ninja900 banned

Quite right too.

I know for a fact he recently purchased a book by A. Rand.

Purge him!

PURGE HIM WITH FIRE!

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Quite right too.

I know for a fact he recently purchased a book by A. Rand.

Purge him!

PURGE HIM WITH FIRE!

:pac:

uh oh :pac:

Good news...yes, it happens.

"A court in Khartoum has ordered the release of a Christian woman on death row, according to Sudan's state news agency.
    Meriam Ibrahim was sentenced to 100 lashes for adultery and was to be hanged for apostasy after refusing to renounce her faith last month. Her case has become the focus of an international campaign.
    "The appeal court ordered the release of Meriam Yahya [Ibrahim] and the cancellation of the [previous] court ruling," Sudan's SUNA news agency said on Monday."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/23/sudan-announces-release-meriam-ibrahim-death-row

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

Nodin wrote: »
    Good news...yes, it happens.

"A court in Khartoum has ordered the release of a Christian woman on death row, according to Sudan's state news agency.
    Meriam Ibrahim was sentenced to 100 lashes for adultery and was to be hanged for apostasy after refusing to renounce her faith last month. Her case has become the focus of an international campaign.
    "The appeal court ordered the release of Meriam Yahya [Ibrahim] and the cancellation of the [previous] court ruling," Sudan's SUNA news agency said on Monday."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/23/sudan-announces-release-meriam-ibrahim-death-row

Somewhat old news really... brought about by appeals from Islam, the religion of peace? Probably not... I doubt most of the world's muslims care, those that do are probably like the 36% (Pew Research) of British muslims who think a death sentence for apostasy is just fine and dandy.

This result was brought about by threats of immediate withdrawal of millions in foreign aid. Money talks...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can't believe that woman was forced to give birth shackled to the ground
    I know it happens other places too and the whole thing is horrible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement