Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,459 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Actually her sort of viewpoint gets more media exposure these days if anything. Iona Instutute are in the papers and on the radio every week.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lock yer doors, the gaypocalypse is upon us.....

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The president of Gambia is using his address to the
    United Nations General Assembly to attack gays and lesbians, calling
    homosexuality one of the three “biggest threats to human existence.”

President Yahya Jammeh on Friday said homosexuality, greed and obsession with world domination “are more deadly than all natural disasters put together.”
    http://www.salon.com/2013/09/27/gambia_president_homosexuality_top_global_threat/singleton/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »

Grrrr...I'm takin' over...grrrrr...mine, mine, MINE....grrrrrrr.

Lezmageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Does Ireland give any aid to Gambia?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Banbh wrote: »
    Does Ireland give any aid to Gambia?
    I'll be happy to contribute a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »

I'm in for a jaffa cake...feck it, I'll give 'em a whole box of jaffa cakes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Body parts for the third world? Maybe a wagon wheel at most.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Lezmageddon

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

A hazard of belief - being a condescending so-and-so.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/it-would-be-a-tragedy-to-neglect-vital-link-between-family-based-on-marriage-and-well-being-of-society-1.1537363
    It would be a tragedy to neglect vital link between family based on marriage and well-being of society

Bishop Christopher Jones

Few institutions have been subject to such pressures and change in recent years as the family based on marriage. From the emotional and practical turmoil of dealing with the fallout of the economic crisis, to wider societal and attitudinal changes, the unit regarded by our Constitution as the very foundation of society has passed through some very turbulent waters in recent years.
    The sacramental dimension of marriage not only brings with it co-responsibility for each other as a couple, but also for the support and good of marriage itself.
    What is often expressed as good-neighbourliness is actually a living out of the vocation of married couples to be a sign of God’s faithful and committed love for his people.
    Renewing our appreciation of how married couples can be a support to each other and how the Christian vision of marriage can become a catalyst for renewal of good neighbourliness and support in local communities could offer something timely and important for us all.
    In these questions lie the seeds of a renewed appreciation of the vital link between the family based on marriage and the wellbeing of society, a link that would be a tragedy for this generation to neglect.

My family isn't is based on a non-christian marriage, so therefore it's bad for the wellbeing of society, I'm not a good neighbour, and I'm undermining the basis of marriage? Wtf??

Amazing how he got a whole article full of this sort of dross to plug his conference in a national newspaper.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the real aim is to mobilise the troops against gay marriage...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Lezmageddon

Saw that film. Five stars from me.

• Advertisement

Thumbs up from Siskel, and a whole fist from Ebert...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

smacl wrote: »
    Body parts for the third world? Maybe a wagon wheel at most.
    Well, I was just thinking about extending, then retracting, my middle finger. Briefly. But upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Boko Haram showing their shining courage again by shooting students as they slept.
    "There was an attack at the College of Agriculture in Gujba this morning by Boko Haram terrorists who went into the school and opened fire on students," while they were asleep, Eli said.
    Molima Idi Mato of the Yobe state College of Agriculture told AP news agency that the gunmen also torched classrooms in the attack at about 1am local time.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/09/gunmen-storm-nigerian-college-201392910646471222.html

This week, in Sainting News.....
    John XXIII, the pontiff who called the landmark second Vatican council, and John Paul II, who crisscrossed the globe during his 26 years as leader of the Roman Catholic church, will be declared saints in April in a historic ceremony that could be attended by their
    two living successors
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/pope-john-paul-saints-canonisations

Two Popes will be "made" while two Popes watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There'll be a whole lot of rent boys hired for that celebration.

/cynic

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/strenuous-objections-to-appointment-of-first-woman-bishop-by-church-of-ireland-group-1.1542614
    Strenuous objections to appointment of first woman bishop by Church of Ireland group
    ‘God’s order for the family and for his church is male headship,’ says Reform Ireland

The appointment of the Church of Ireland’s first woman bishop has brought “more disharmony and disorder into God’s church,” a theologically conservative group has claimed.

It follows the annoucement last Friday that Rev Pat Storey, currently rector of St Augustine’s in Derry city, had been chosen as Bishop of Meath and Kildare.

Reform Ireland is believed to include some influential clergy in the Church of Ireland, mostly in Northern Ireland, and and at least one bishop who is believed to have belonged to its sister Reform England group. Whether he will attend the consecration of Rev Storey as a bishop has become a matter of conjecture.

This week, and since the announcement that Rev Storey was the latest appointee to Meath and Kildare, Reform Ireland has had a strongly-worded posting on its website objecting in forceful terms. It states that it “has furthered the disorder in God’s church that it originally initiated with the decision to appoint women as presbyters and bishops by an act of Synod in 1990.”

It says “God’s order for the family and for his church is male headship” and that the Church of Ireland “has not only brought more disharmony and disorder into God’s church, but it has also side-lined Christ in his own church.” This “will not only prevent those who believe in God’s agenda for man and woman being able to serve in Meath diocese, but also impair fellowship throughout the Church of Ireland,” it says.

Hard to credit that this bunch would call themselves 'Reform' :rolleyes:

ninja900 wrote: »

Lots of groups that thought it was a bad idea to progress to AD thinking have been taking up the "Reform" banner lately. Seem to think that if they lie hard enough and often enough a critical mass of people will believe them.
    Sadly enough they're probably right.

....they may now be facing the 'Wimmin or Papists' dilemma....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This week, in Sainting News.....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/pope-john-paul-saints-canonisations

Two Popes will be "made" while two Popes watch.
    Am I right in thinking that neither of these popes ever actually saw or met the three people who were supposedly "miraculously cured" of their illness?
    Out of all the millions of sick people who have prayed to various popes over the years, these three randomers did get better. And therefore the magic powers of popery are deemed to be legit.
    It seems incredible. The only outcome of this is that the uneducated masses will be further encouraged to pray to popes, as if they were minor deities in their own right. RCC must have decided this is a good thing to encourage, perhaps to increase public respect for the clergy in general.

We forget just how Roman, Roman Catholicism really is. The Romans had a god/saint for every occasion and often they made living people, such as their emperors into gods as well.

If people are praying to these popes before they become saints, its only a small step to pray to them while they are still alive, as they will inevitably be sanctified when they die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

We forget just how Roman, Roman Catholicism really is. The Romans had a god/saint for every occasion and often they made living people, such as their emperors into gods as well.

Like they said on an episode of QI I watched last night - The Roman Empire never fell, it just became a church and carried on regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If people are praying to these popes before they become saints, its only a small step to pray to them while they are still alive, as they will inevitably be sanctified when they die.

For a long time in the early church, being pope automatically made you a saint when you died. This must be the "renewal" the new guy was talking about. I'm not sure if dragging a 1500+ year old corruption back into fashion could be called renewal by anyone with a shred of sense, but it is the catholic church.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/catholic-bishops-call-for-end-to-devastating-austerity-policies-1.1548016
    Catholic bishops call for end to ‘devastating’ austerity policies

Irish Catholic bishops have called on the Government to end its “devastating and demoralising” policies of austerity ahead of the budget. The call was made at the end of a two-day general meeting of the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference in Saint Patrick’s College, Maynooth.

“Bishops wish to draw attention to the joint appeal to Government by seven Catholic social justice groups which are calling for an end to the devastating and demoralising austerity policies that have characterised annual budgets of recent years . Any further reduction in income – direct or indirect – will have serious consequences, threatening the wellbeing of the individuals and families concerned, and damaging social cohesion, which is an essential foundation for lasting and sustainable economic recovery.”

Y'know lads, that billion or so euro would really come in handy right about now, if you weren't complete and utter hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/catholic-bishops-call-for-end-to-devastating-austerity-policies-1.1548016

Y'know lads, that billion or so euro would really come in handy right about now, if you weren't complete and utter hypocrites.

Austerity being felt further down the food chain.

Fr. Belcher: "All we're gettin' is bloody coppers in the baskets!" "It's not fair!"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://observers.france24.com/content/20130919-video-woman-flogging-sudan-whipping

A video has surfaced online showing Sudanese police repeatedly hitting a woman with a whip. For years, local women’s rights groups have called for the repeal of a law that allows police to publicly whip women they say are breaking public decency laws.

The video was posted on September 15 by a Sudanese opposition media organisation. The journalist who uploaded the video says someone sent the video to him via email, but does not know who the email address belongs to nor when the incident took place. Judging by the accent of those speaking in the video, it was shot in the region of the capital Khartoum.

The incident takes place in a courtyard – possibly at a courthouse – with a crowd of bystanders watching on. A police officer whips a woman seated cross-legged and facing a wall, all while the person filming and another person next to them giggle. At 39 seconds, an officer tells the woman, called Halima: “This is so you don’t get into cars anymore”. An Observer in Sudan who has watched the video says it is not unusual for a woman to be punished with lashes if she is found in a car with a man who isn’t from her immediate family (such as a husband, a father, or a brother).

Punishing women with lashes was written into law following the 1989 coup d’état and the arrival of Omar al-Bashir to power. However, this common practice only started attracting the international media’s attention in 2009, when journalist Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein was sentenced to flogging for wearing trousers. Since then, women’s rights groups have campaigned for the abolition of article 152 of Sudan’s law of 1991, commonly known as the law on public order, which allows for this type of punishment.

The world sorely needs a women's rights movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

"I intend to be an independent candidate in the European Elections next year for the constituency of Midlands North West. I have been reluctant to declare this during the present campaign lest it be wrongly portrayed as undermining my arguments for retaining the Seanad."

Oh right. Holds off on that till after the vote in case he influenced the continuation of his job in the senate. Smells funny in here........

If you buy the wrapping paper and Obliq buys the packing tape, I'll buy the stamps.

Deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

If you buy the wrapping paper and Obliq buys the packing tape, I'll buy the stamps.

Deal?

*Spits on hand* .....odds are good, tis a deal ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement