Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Kid wrote: »
    Try opening a command window and using the following command:
    java -jar "C:\Program Files\JSMS\JSMS.jar" consoleLog

and mail me the output (support@jellysms.com).

Regarding the issue where the app didn't start on the first attempt, it looks like Finbarr may have just fixed this. The fix will be in the next release. Fingers crossed we have it nailed. Feedback will be appreciated on it...

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

Peter B wrote: »
    I know this is probably a stupid question but I think I installed it on my Linux machine running the bin file JSMS-4.2.6-linux-installer.bin .

However I have no idea how to open it? Any help?

Unfortunatley we don't build RPMs or .deb packages yet as we've never had time to put build packages for all the various formats.

Here's what you need to do:
    • Open a terminal and change to the directory you downloaded JSMS-4.2.6-linux-installer.bin to.
    • Type:
      chmod +x JSMS-4.2.6-linux-installer.bin

• Type:
      ./JSMS-4.2.6-linux-installer.bin

• This should launch the installer for you. Just follow the instructions but take note of where you install Jelly SMS to. The default is
      ~/JSMS

• Now here's the tricky bit. Jelly SMS needs a Sun's Java to run. Many of the Linux distributions don't ship this version of Java. Instead the often use an open source alternative called OpenJDK/IcedTea. Jelly SMS doesn't run with this JVM. To find the version of Java your system uses, type
      java -version

• If Java is not found, or the installed Java is OpenJDK, then go to http://www.java.com and download and install the latest stable JRE for your platform.
    • Java will usually to
      /usr/java

• Create a launcher/shortcut to launch Jelly SMS. Set the command as follows:
      /usr/java/<jrename>/bin/java -classpath <jellySMSinstalldir>/JSMS -jar <jellySMSinstalldir>/JSMS.jar

e.g. on my system the command is
      /usr/java/jre1.6.0_17/bin/java -classpath ~/JSMS -jar ~/JSMS/JSMS.jar

Actually, I've had my head wrecked once to many by Open JDK not running Java applications correctly... It's not just Jelly SMS that doesn't like OpenJDK.

So here is instructions for any of you out there who wants to figure out hows to switch Fedora from using OpenJDK to using the "standard" Java implementation from Sun:
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f12.html#java

JHMEG wrote: »
    Done.

For any of you following this thread, we resolved this issue. It turned out that the Jelly SMS database had somehow got corrupted. (I still don't know how or why). But we cleared out the DB and everything is working again. It meant that we lost the sent message history, but nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Is there anyway to disable the signature ("sent using JSMS") ?
    It is quite distracting.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Yes, I've actually just implemented a preference where the signature can be changed or turned off in Jelly SMS.

It will be available in the next release.

signature_jelly_sms_dot_com.png

Busy, busy, busy days!

As Finbarr posted earlier on this evening, today we released a new version of Jelly SMS Desktop. In the last couple of weeks, we've added:
    • custom signatures,
    • improved startup speeds,
    • removal of default "three.ie" signature,
    • a cool new DMG installer for Mac users, and
    • delivery reports for O2 and my-cool-sms users...
    And as always, it's all free...

And today, we made our first release candidate of Jelly SMS for Android handsets. This has been in beta test for over a month now, and based on feedback we now believe that it's stable enough to hit the market.

The app is available in two versions: a feature limited free version:
    http://slideme.org/application/jelly-sms-free
    and a fully featured pro version:
    http://slideme.org/application/jelly-sms

We've had lots of great feedback on the beta releases, but we're not going to rest on our laurels; we have plenty more improvements in store for you in the future releases...

Now, I need sleep... :-)

Happy texting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Hope the Android Version goes well for you. Thanks for all your work.

Nate

Hope the Android Version goes well for you. Thanks for all your work.

Cheers Nate! It feels good to have it fully released at last! Too many late nights without having beer as an excuse! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Kid wrote: »
    For any of you following this thread, we resolved this issue. It turned out that the Jelly SMS database had somehow got corrupted. (I still don't know how or why). But we cleared out the DB and everything is working again. It meant that we lost the sent message history, but nothing else.
    BTW, this is still happening. Every couple of days I need to delete those files. 4.3.5.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    BTW, this is still happening. Every couple of days I need to delete those files. 4.3.5.

There must be something unusual in the info that is getting written to the DB... Do you ever use special characters (either in messages or in contact names)? By "special characters" I mean accented characters like a fada, or even quotes or symbols?

If you want to create a log from a point where you've just deleted the DB to the point where you notice it corrupted, you can then mail the log onto me. And I can make myself a strong cup of tea and sit down and see if I can spot anything strange in it...

I'm getting this error now too, which files do I have to delete?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

does this work on windows mobile

I'm getting this error now too, which files do I have to delete?

Nate

Fixed it, database files to delete are located in C:\Users\Username\.JSMS. In case anybody else needs to know.

Nate

Fixed it, database files to delete are located in C:\Users\Username\.JSMS. In case anybody else needs to know.

Nate

Thanks for sharing that Nate - a few people have had problems finding the DB files.

The DB is stored in a directory called ".JSMS" directly underneath whatever directory Java determines to be your home directory (regardless of your operating system).

I must admit that some (maybe all!?) of the DB problems have been our fault. There was a couple of updates to JSMS where we should have upgraded the data in the DB but didn't... Apologies for that!!

By the way, in upcoming news - JSMS is going Arabic! Finbarr started out writing an app to support Meteor.ie WebTexts, bit now we support about 50 International service providers. We're planning an update in the upcoming days that will include a bumber of bug fixes, but also support for sending messages in Arabic! That's certainly a new one on me! :-)

paconnors wrote: »
    does this work on windows mobile

The honest answer is "I don't know but I doubt it very much". If Windows Mobile can run a Java SE VM then the answer is "yes", but I would be shocked if any mobile device is capable of running Java SE.

We don't have a version of Jelly SMS for Java ME (Java Mobile). If you're using an Irish Provider, then search out the Captain Vimes' Cabbage megathread on this forum and that'll do the trick for you...

We also have Android and iPhone apps that do what JSMS does, but thats it I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MrT123

jsms.JPG

I got this error from about a month now. I have deleted all the files from: C:\Documents and Settings\Me\.JSMS (running on WinXP)

I cannot send messages at all, "test connectivity" shows connection to o2 is successful ...

any ideas how it can be fixed?

We are still working on a fix for the issue. It's complex because it involves some of the 3rd party http libraries that Jelly SMS depends on.

We will have an update soon with the fix.

thanks for the update: fbradyirl, once its fixed will it be posted here or is there a second thread for this issue?

• Advertisement

No probs.

You will get it as an auto-update upon launch, but yes, we will post here as well...

For Anybody interested, there is a new version of JellySMS that has O2 fixed now :) (Just discovered that today)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

Hi,

I'm using Jelly SMS 4.3.6 in Ubuntu 10.10. I've got Sun Java 6 installed:-
    java version "1.6.0_22"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)

My problem is with importing contacts. I have tried to import contacts from google apps, which seems to work despite getting an error message "There was a problem taling to GMail". My contacts appear but when I quit out of Jelly SMS and re-start the programme my contacts have disappeared.

I've also exported this list of contacts to a JSMS Export file and tried to import contacts from this file. Again, when I browse to the file, select it and click Finish it appears to process the file. However, this process never seems to finish and I must click Cancel to get out of that dialog box. But my contacts get imported. Again, if I quit out and re-start, my contacts have disappeared.

The command line I use to run Jelly SMS is as follows:
    java -jar /opt/JSMS/JSMS.jar

Any ideas what might be going wrong, or any solutions???

J

Anybody having problems with O2 and JSMS? I can log in ok, testing connectivity is fine, but it won't send texts. I have about 190 texts left

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

There's a known issue which has been fixed in version 3.3.5 but iTunes hasn't approved that release yet. Shouldn't be long now though

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/iTunes-Appstore/Jelly-SMS-login-problems/m-p/347890/highlight/true#M3331

cookie1977 wrote: »
    There's a known issue which has been fixed in version 3.3.5 but iTunes hasn't approved that release yet. Shouldn't be long now though

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/iTunes-Appstore/Jelly-SMS-login-problems/m-p/347890/highlight/true#M3331

Ah ok, cool to see you are already on top of it - but I'm using the desktop version, will that be updated too?

Nate

I dont work for them so I'm not sure but did you check to see if the desktop version has already been updated? It seems it's 4.3.7

Haha oops :) I just assumed. Yeah, I have 4.3.7. I'll wait a while and see if a new version pops up next week.

Nate

No problem ;) I'm sure it'll be sorted soon. Maybe try removing the o2 profile from the desktop version and then re adding it back

• Advertisement

The iOS and Mac versions of Jelly SMS have been updated with a fix for O2. Please download the latest free update from the App Store.

Advertisement