Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Hi

I'm trying to set this up but getting a message sending failed error, pointing to test connectivity in the Proxy tab.

What should I have in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

Hi

I'm trying to set this up but getting a message sending failed error, pointing to test connectivity in the Proxy tab.

You probably don't need any proxy settings. It depends on how your network is setup. If you press the Test connectivity button on the proxy tab, it should help to tell us what is misconfigured. The test does the following:
    • Try to connect to the Internet (Google.com)
    • Try to connect to your service providers website (e.g. meteor.ie)
    • Try to login to your service providers website (using the username and password you used to log into JSMS.
    You need to see which of these tests fails. If the first one succeeds, JSMS can talk to the Internet and does not need any proxy settings.

If you run the test and let me know what fails, I can probably point you towards what is wrong.

The Kid wrote: »
    You probably don't need any proxy settings. It depends on how your network is setup. If you press the Test connectivity button on the proxy tab, it should help to tell us what is misconfigured. The test does the following:
    • Try to connect to the Internet (Google.com)
    • Try to connect to your service providers website (e.g. meteor.ie)
    • Try to login to your service providers website (using the username and password you used to log into JSMS.
    You need to see which of these tests fails. If the first one succeeds, JSMS can talk to the Internet and does not need any proxy settings.

If you run the test and let me know what fails, I can probably point you towards what is wrong.

Hi

It seems to fail while logging into my service provider (O2).

Hi

It seems to fail while logging into my service provider (O2).

OK - first go to 02.ie in your web browser and try to log into your account from there. JSMS cannot work if that doesn't work.

If you can successfully log into the O2 website (and you do need to check it again, because O2 may have locked your account), then go back to JSMS and select "Change User" from the "File" menu. This will bring you back to the login screen. Enter the same phone number and password you used on the O2 site and don't forget to set your operator to O2.ie. As log as you get the login details right, everything will just work! :-)

I am logged into O2.ie, still unable to send a message through JSMS. Login details are defo correct.

• Advertisement

I am logged into O2.ie, still unable to send a message through JSMS. Login details are defo correct.

Aha! I've been able to recreate the problem here. It shouldn't be a major problem to fix. I'm away tomorrow evening, but I'll try to get to it this week...

Thanks, appreciate it

Thanks, appreciate it

Hey Dave,

I got a couple of hours to look at this tonight, and I can't reproduce your problem. My 02 account was not working because O2 have just put a security lock on it. So I tried a different O2 account and that worked perfectly...

But you say that you can send O2 texts from the Web, but not from JSMS. That's different. In the instance where I can't send from JSMS I also can't send from the web...

Could you enable the logs, try to send a text using JSMS and then mail the logs onto us at jsmsirl@gmail.com? To enable the logs look for a file called "logging.properties.unused", rename it to "logging.properties" and restart JSMS. After you try to send the text, you should find a file called "JSMS.log" in the same directory. That's the one we need to see what's going on.

Just in case others were following the particular issue. The problem transpired to be an issue with DangerousDave's network. His PC needs to go through a proxy to access the Internet and he did not have the authentication details to allow him to access the proxy - thus the connectivity error.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

thanks for the program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

No probs. Enjoy!

Don't forget you can also get JSMS on your iPod Touch or iPhone for free here.

Lenny wrote: »
    thanks for the program

Thanks Lenny!

This thread has been very quiet of late, but support for JSMS hasn't... Just looking at the website, we've had over 1,200 downloads since the new year. That's an average of 65 downloads a day... Many thanks to all of you that haven been spreading the word...

And we haven't been quiet either. We're just putting a finishing up a version of JSMS for Android phones...

Here's a link to our mailing list if anybody wants to subscribe for info on upcoming releases... http://jsms.wufoo.com/forms/z7x4z5/

Happy texting!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Android version? Fantastic :) When do you expect to release it? If you want someone to test it out on a Nexus One hit me up!

Stephen wrote: »
    Android version? Fantastic :) When do you expect to release it?

Really soon, but I'm not giving people a date at the moment as I'm finding it hard to get free time and I'm also doing a lot of learning as I go along. But all the major parts are in place - it's just a matter of tying things together now.
    If you want someone to test it out on a Nexus One hit me up!

I might take you up on that - it'll take a bit of testing alright...

You got yourself a Nexus One - you were quick off the mark with that! I have a HTC Hero from Meteor. I didn't expect to like it after reading some critical reviews before buying, but I love it... It's more Android I like than the hardware though - it's a well cool OS...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, no problem getting one over here in the US!

Just to let followers of this thread know: we've started rolling out betas of our new JellySMS app for Android phones. We've been getting some really good feedback from folks so far. :-)

That's with the notable exception of your Nexus One Stephen. It looks like the app has more than one problem running on the Nexus One. But hopefully we'll get to the bottom of that quickly.

To get info on the betas, subscribe to our mailing list here:
    http://jsms.wufoo.com/forms/z7x4z5/

Hey folks,

We've just released JSMS 4.2.6... Except that it's now called Jelly SMS just like it's brother and sister apps for the iPhone, iPod Touch and Android phones.

We recommend you download the full installer to get all rebranding goodness: http://bit.ly/91HKfz

Happy texting!

Follow us on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/jellysms

Or subscribe to our mailing list:
    http://jsms.wufoo.com/forms/z7x4z5/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

does this work with vodafone webtexts?

snaps wrote: »
    does this work with vodafone webtexts?

Yes it does! It works with webtext from *all* of the Irish mobile providers...

And we have versions of the application for Windows, Linux, Mac, and for the iPhone/iPod Touch and we have an army of folks helping us testing our new app for Android phones...

Busy times! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Small feature request for the windows version, if possible. I usually start JSMS with windows, would it be possible to have an option to start JSMS minimised to tray?

Nate

I usually start JSMS with windows, would it be possible to have an option to start JSMS minimised to tray?

I haven't used Windows in a while, but I'd imagine that you should be able to do that by right-clicking on the shortcut you use to launch Jelly SMS, selecting "Properties" and then on the "Shortcut" tab setting "Run" to "Minimized".

Hey folks!

Our beta of Jelly SMS for Android phones has been put through it's paces for a few weeks now, and we're ready to make a time limited release available to the public.

All info and an installer for Android phones is available on the Jelly SMS website.

Happy texting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Kid wrote: »
    I haven't used Windows in a while, but I'd imagine that you should be able to do that by right-clicking on the shortcut you use to launch Jelly SMS, selecting "Properties" and then on the "Shortcut" tab setting "Run" to "Minimized".

Do you know that never occurred to me at all. Doesn't work though.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

JSMS has been troublesome for me down through the years.

It has auto-updated and now gives a "JSMS may already be open in the system tray....." when I try to start it.

Nothing related to JSMS is running, not even java.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Can you see what version you are running? Are you running on Windows?

JHMEG wrote: »
    JSMS has been troublesome for me down through the years.

Sorry to hear that dude... Let's see if we can't help you get thing running a little more reliably. We don't ahev a bad record of supporting the app you know! ;)
    It has auto-updated and now gives a "JSMS may already be open in the system tray....." when I try to start it.

I've seen this type of problem before, I think that Java cannot see the JSMS.jar file and load all of the other jars that it needs. It should just be a matter of getting the correct syntax to launch the app on your system. I assume you're running on Windows. If you mail us the version of Windows you are using and the path to the folder you have Jelly SMS installed in, then we will help you debug the problem and figure out what it wrong. You'll find us at support@jellysms.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'll post here so it may be of use to others.

It auto-updated recently, but as it won't run I don't know what version it is. I presume it's the latest. (4.2.6 according to Readme.txt)

Path to exe "C:\Program Files\JSMS\JSMS.exe", Start in is "C:\Program Files\JSMS"

XP SP3.

[As an aside previous versions always started with the main text area of the window all grey (ie the text input area hadn't been drawn) which required killing JSMS and restarting it. This was always the case for me and for a few others I know running JSMS.]

Try opening a command window and using the following command:
    java -jar "C:\Program Files\JSMS\JSMS.jar" consoleLog

and mail me the output (support@jellysms.com).

Regarding the issue where the app didn't start on the first attempt, it looks like Finbarr may have just fixed this. The fix will be in the next release. Fingers crossed we have it nailed. Feedback will be appreciated on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I know this is probably a stupid question but I think I installed it on my Linux machine running the bin file JSMS-4.2.6-linux-installer.bin .

However I have no idea how to open it? Any help?

Advertisement