Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

fbradyirl - you may want to review your usage of other peoples data there.
    Even if they are pirating your software, i doubt that you'd allowed to publish their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

MiCr0 makes a point. Data protection act and all that

As far as I'm aware (could be wrong), you only need to protect ones data if you have a business relationship with them. And since they illegally downloaded my app for free, I don't have any agreement with them relating to their data and really couldn't care less if they get annoyed about having their user name or phone number on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

fbradyirl wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware (could be wrong), you only need to protect ones data if you have a business relationship with them. And since they illegally downloaded my app for free, I don't have any agreement with them relating to their data and really couldn't care less if they get annoyed about having their user name or phone number on Twitter.
    How does your system work? Does your application pass user details through your servers? What data is passed?

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    How does your system work? Does your application pass user details through your servers? What data is passed?

No, no data at all is sent to my servers. All comms is done directly to O2, Vodafone etc servers under normal use. However, If my crack checking code returns true, then a ping is sent to jellysms.com with the device ID, userID and provider name. This lets me know if my detection code is still working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The-Baron

Hey,
    Firstly, great app.

I have a problem getting the tool to work via command line on ubuntu 9.04. If I run this via command line:

java -jar /path/to/JSMS/JSMS.jar "Vodafone" "0831234567" "1234" "0851234567" "Testing the command line bit"

Doesn't seem to return anything or do anything at all.

java version "1.6.0_13"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

The-Baron wrote: »
    Hey,
    Firstly, great app.

Thanks! We certainly find it useful! :-)
    I have a problem getting the tool to work via command line on ubuntu 9.04.
    I'm afraid that we've stopped supporting the command line version of JSMS in favour of adding extra GUI features. There's some info further back in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59638817&postcount=344

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ubuntu - I dont mind not having the CLI but what is really annoying me at the moment is trying to get JSMS to start up from CLI

should be a command that runs like this

cd JSMS || sh JSMS.sh

but that doesnt run it, i have to run the two commands separately. This doesnt happen with other programs that I run that way. Means I cant create a short cut on my desktop nor run from Gnome Do

I am I missing something obvious?

You should still be able to start JSMS from the command line. It works for me on Fedora just by invoking the JSMS.sh script (and I have a shortcut setup to invoke the script just like you're trying to do). Note that the latest version of the script shouldn't require the cd step you have in your example, it should figure out the directory itself.

If the script doesn't work, what you need to cd to the JSMS install dir and call:
    java -jar JSMS.jar

Make sure that the java command is picking up a version 1.6 JRE from Sun (type
    java -version

on the command line to find out the version you pick up). You'll find installers for the Sun JRE on http://www.java.com. Fedora is shipped with an IcedTea JRE, and I suspect that Ubuntu is also. JSMS doesn't run correctly with that JRE, thus why we ask you to use Sun's JRE instead.

Drop us a mail at jsmsirl@gmail.com if you still can't launch JSMS, and we can debug why it's not starting with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Hey, is the meteor login in JSMS working for everyone lately? Since last week ive been getting the error "Failed to login in to your Meteor.ie webtext account!"
    I have tried logging in from the meteor webpage and it still works, and ive tried going to "file->switch user" and entering my login details again.

I am running JSMS ver. 4.23 on leopard.

Other than this issue, its a great program, and keep up the hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

The meteor site was down for maintainence since 6pm friday and is only back up in the last few hours. Should be working now.

Unfortunately, im still getting the error, both now, and before last friday. I dont know if it makes any difference, but im using Java SE 6 64bit.

There was a small issue with the JSMS Meteor login code. I've fixed it and will be doing a new release later on tonight. It will require a full manual download and install as we're also including a fix for the auto-update mechanism.

I'll post again when the download is available. Jelly SMS (iPhone & iPod Touch) users won't require an update.

Thanks dude!

The latest update (4.2.4) can now be downloaded from

http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/

with the Meteor fix

Cheers, it works fine now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

fbradyirl wrote: »
    The latest update (4.2.4) can now be downloaded from

http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/

with the Meteor fix

Many thanks for the prompt update.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭davehey79

everytime i download the new update its a corrupt zip file?? anyone else get this

Are you downloading it from the site or using the auto-update? Which operating system are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭davehey79

i'm using using XP Pro SP3 and downloading direct from sourceforge

It's working for me on XP. This is the only download you should be using:

http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=196351

davehey79 wrote: »
    everytime i download the new update its a corrupt zip file?? anyone else get this

Hey Dave,

Download the full installer for Windows from sourceforge and install it. That should do the trick.

Some people have had problems installing the updates and we've also being having problems with the sourceforge mirrors. They have implemented a "new and improved" file management system and it's along the lines of the overhaul O2 did on their website a few months back. Search the O2 forums if you don't get the sarcasm... :-)

Let us know if that still doesn't fix it and we can mail you an installer or sort out something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Lads,
    Fantastic app. I have it running under windoze (at work) but have failed to get it going on Mint Linux (at home).
    Is it the same download?
    Is there a Linux howto?
    Thanks in advance...

dbar wrote: »
    Lads,
    Fantastic app.
    Thanks! We like it! :D
    I have it running under windoze (at work) but have failed to get it going on Mint Linux (at home).
    Is it the same download?
    Is there a Linux howto?
    I'm afraid howto's (and documentation in general) is our weak area. We don't have anybody working specifically on that area, so we usually aim to make the app as intuitive as possible.

There should be no problem running on any Linux distro. We have a linux specific installer:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/jsmsirl/files/JSMS/JSMS%204.2.4/JSMS-4.2.4-linux-installer.zip/download

but if it doesn't work on your distro, you can always download the jars directly:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/jsmsirl/files/JSMS/JSMS%204.2.4/JSMS-4.2.4-jar.zip/download

Just unzip them all into a directory with read/write permissions and run:
    cd <installDir>
    ./JSMS.sh

or
    cd <installDir>
    java -jar JSMS.jar

Note that you need to be using a Sun 1.6 JRE (OpenJDK isn't quite there yet!).

If you have any problems, mail us at jsmsirl@gmail.com and we'll get you sorted...

Cool Keith I'll add that to the FAQ

The Kid wrote: »
    Thanks! We like it! :D

I'm afraid howto's (and documentation in general) is our weak area. We don't have anybody working specifically on that area, so we usually aim to make the app as intuitive as possible.

There should be no problem running on any Linux distro. We have a linux specific installer:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/jsmsirl/files/JSMS/JSMS%204.2.4/JSMS-4.2.4-linux-installer.zip/download

but if it doesn't work on your distro, you can always download the jars directly:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/jsmsirl/files/JSMS/JSMS%204.2.4/JSMS-4.2.4-jar.zip/download

Just unzip them all into a directory with read/write permissions and run:
    cd <installDir>
    ./JSMS.sh

or
    cd <installDir>
    java -jar JSMS.jar

Note that you need to be using a Sun 1.6 JRE (OpenJDK isn't quite there yet!).

If you have any problems, mail us at jsmsirl@gmail.com and we'll get you sorted...

I figured it out yesterday!:D Fairly happy with myself, I downloaded Java 6 thinking it was that, it came with instructions, so I just applied them to the JSMS file they were both .bin files

STILL havnt found a reason to go back to windows:D

STILL havnt found a reason to go back to windows:D

And you probably won't either.

But here's a tip if you're really missing one or two Windows apps tht you can't find alternatives for on Linux. If you have a half decent machine under your ass, (preferably with a CPU that supports virtualization), then download Sun's VirtualBox and install a Windows XP Virtual Machine on it. Then if you're really stuck you can always run up an instance of Windows in seconds. Very handy. And don't worry, VirtualBox is child's play to use...

Good luck!
    :-)

Sweet.. The missus is starting to gripe a bit looking for her photoshop, yes, yes, I know - the Gimp - she doesnt like it, anyway I think shes angling for her own laptop...
    I'm using the app all the time, its the dogs extremeties, as I'm a crap texter, takes me ages.

I assume its impossible to get the incoming texts on it or ye would have done it already?

• Advertisement

Sweet.. The missus is starting to gripe a bit looking for her photoshop

Glad to be of service! Try it out and see what you think anyway
    anyway I think shes angling for her own laptop...

the mayvbe she won't be quite so enamoured with my suggestion! :-)
    I'm using the app all the time, its the dogs extremeties, as I'm a crap texter, takes me ages.

Likewise! I usually give up half way through after getting annoyed when sending from a mobile handset! :-)
    I assume its impossible to get the incoming texts on it or ye would have done it already?

Afraid so - in effect all we do is give you a nice front end that uses the Meteor/O2/Vodafone/Three/etc. website to send the text, saving you the hassle of logging in and navigating their website, etc. And just like if you used the website recipients get the message just as if it came from your phone and their replies go to your phone...

Think of it as a benefit - if you misplace your phone you can keep texting it from JSMS until you find it! :-)

Advertisement