Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

well I'm trying to run this on ubuntu, and it's acting a bit weird;

when trying to use it it acts quite normal until you've actually sent your message. Like, you type the message in and hit send, then it says 'logging in, login successful, etc' (or something to that effect) then when it tries to display my texts left it says that I have zero left (I've got about 200 left). Also, it won't have actually sent the message :| and I have to answer a CAPCHA the next time I try to log in to their website.

... is there anything that I'm doing wrong? Any help appreciated.

edit: my operator is meteor, which I probably should have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

well I'm trying to run this on ubuntu,

Hmm, I'd doubt if the problem is to do with your OS, but it is possible.
    Like, you type the message in and hit send, then it says 'logging in, login successful, etc' (or something to that effect) then when it tries to display my texts left it says that I have zero left (I've got about 200 left). Also, it won't have actually sent the message :| and I have to answer a CAPCHA the next time I try to log in to their website.
    The first thing to do is to check the version of JSMS you are running. You'll find this at the top of the Help->About dialog. You need to be running version 4.0.8.

I'm able to send texts on Meteor without any problems. If you're already using version 4.0.8, it's possible that you're getting redirected to a different server or something like that and that JSMS is getting confused parsing one of the responses. I'll take a look into it if you enable the logging and send the logs onto us at jsmsirl@gmail.com.

To enable the logs, go to the directory you installed JSMS to, find the file "logging.properties.unused" and rename it to "logging.properties". Then restart JSMS and try to send a message to yourself. If it fails like before, look in the same directory and you'll find a file called JSMS.log. Send that onto us and it should tell us what's going on.

well I'm trying to run this on ubuntu, and it's acting a bit weird;

We have this problem figured. Meteor recently updated their website, and it looks like JSMS is no longer recognising failed logins correctly.

I'll try to get this fixed in the next release. In the meantime, if people are experiencing problems like this, go back and double check your login and password are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I actually found a similar program for linux called JSMS. Its a little buggy for me, but that could be because Im running beta software. It has some very nice features as a program though.

Still use Cabbage when Im on vista though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

I use cabbage on my e51 and most of the time the cost of the data connection to meteor is 0 or 1c to send a text. cabbage is pretty basic but saving me lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I actually found a similar program for linux called JSMS. Its a little buggy for me, but that could be because Im running beta software. It has some very nice features as a program though.

which version of JSMS are you running on Linux?

Hi Squeeonline,

I'm glad you like the features we have in JSMS. JSMS should run fine for you on all Windows platforms (including Vista), all major Linux distros and on Mac OS. We have lots of users on all three major platforms.

As fbradyirl suggested, you should first make sure that you're running the latest version of JSMS as there are number of old versions knocking around on some download websites. The current release of JSMS is 4.0.8. Versions older than 4.0.8 are no longer supported and are likely to be buggy or they may not even work at all. To find the version you are running, simply log into JSMS, go to the "Help" menu and select "About JSMS". The version should be printed at the top of the window.

The latest version can be downloaded from our official website: http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net.

If you are running the latest version and have identified some bugs you'd like us to look at, then don't hesitate to mail us at jsmsirl@gmail.com and we'll do our best to get those bugs fixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I think my problem with JSMS is more due to my computer. Im going to do a fresh install of ubuntu this weekend if i get the time. Hopefully there will be no problems then. If there are, I'll report them. Its just that it worked properly for about 2 days then stopped. It wont even load now. It could be soemthing I did... Fresh install will sort that out.

O2 users will probably notice that JSMS has not been working for them over the last couple of days... This is because of the well needed overhaul O2 have just made to their website...

Well, don't fret - Finbarr has already implemented a fix for this problem!

But before we release the fix, we also want to put the finishing touches to a few new features we've been working on in the background. Please be patient with us - it won't be long - the new release should be available either tonight (Monday) or tomorrow...

For more information - checkout our blog @ http://jsmsirl.wordpress.com/

I've just released a new version of JSMS which now works with the new O2 site. See the blog for more info:

http://jsmsirl.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i see you added voipcheap support. there are two other services from www.lowratevoip.com and www.smsdiscount.com that i got requests for along with voipcheap.

They're all owned by the same company and their apis are identical so if you wanted to they'd be fairly easy to add.

basically, myaccount.voipcheap.com/clx/sendsms.php changes to myaccount.smsdiscount.com/clx/sendsms.php or myaccount.lowratevoip.com/clx/sendsms.php

and everything else is the same.

btw, i've found though that sometimes those urls report that a message failed when it didn't. just so you know :)

Great thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to Keith who has been implementing that feature.

Cheers!

We have updated JSMS again to handle the downloading of all your O2 contacts from the ‘Address Book’ part of their new site.

Get version 4.1.1 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

i use jsm but one thing i dont like about this software it add its name at end of sms. :o

Yes JSMS puts a link to the homepage at the end of an SMS but only if the SMS is greater than 160 characters and only if there is space for it (i.e. without having to create another text just for the link) so it won't use up any additional webtext credits.

The reason we put this in is to spread the word to those who don't use forums like these. Paid advertising is kinda out of the question since we don't make any money from the project so this is the only other 'non internet' based way to let people know about JSMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

JSMS hasnt worked for in in the past few weeks. Failing to log into my meteor account, pin number etc in order, very strange. Anyone any ideas why?

Danny2580 wrote: »
    JSMS hasnt worked for in in the past few weeks. Failing to log into my meteor account, pin number etc in order, very strange. Anyone any ideas why?

You might not be running the latest version (4.1.1). Check your version by going to the menu 'Help' -> 'About'.

Let me know if this is happening you on the latest version. You can download the latest at:

http://jsmsirl.sf.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Hi there,

Yes that's with the 4.1.1 version. Strange, haven't used it in a while, just doublechecked and same error msg.

Thats unusual. I've just tested and Meteor is working fine for me. Just sent a text using it. Can you log into Meteor.ie ok with the same password???

Can you send me on a log file. It will tell me where the problem lies. It's most likely a network issue. You can enable logging by following question 2 on this page.

http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net/JSMS/FAQ.html

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Yes that's with the 4.1.1 version. Strange, haven't used it in a while, just doublechecked and same error msg.

Hey Danny, I've been sending texts on Meteor every day for the last few weeks. Mail the log file on and there's no reason why we can't have you up and running again fairly quick...

BTW, what's the error message you see? Knowing that will also help us identify where your problem may lie...

Send the info onto our mail address at jsmsirl@gmail.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

The Kid wrote: »
    We are currently looking at adding support for a lightweight database which we hope to use to store things like sent messages. And we should be able to encrypt any messages saved to the database to make them hard to get at from nosy eyes!

That would be brilliant. It'd be really useful to have a record of sent texts for reference. I see O2 have done this on their new webtext site but they've banjaxed it by truncating the sent text... and there's no way AFAIK to download or even cut and paste the data.

That would be brilliant. It'd be really useful to have a record of sent texts for reference. I see O2 have done this on their new webtext site but they've banjaxed it by truncating the sent text... and there's no way AFAIK to download or even cut and paste the data.

Hey Peter,

Cheers for the feedback. If you have the latest version of JSMS (4.1.1), we already have the ability to save sent messages.

As long as the "Enable Message History" option is checked in the preferences dialog, all sent messages will be automatically added the the "History" menu. Simply select the message you want from this menu and it will be inserted into the main message sending window. For security reasons, we don't save the sent messages to your PC, instead we simply discard the history each time you exit JSMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

The Kid wrote: »
    We already have the ability to save sent messages......... (but) discard the history each time you exit JSMS.

I know and that's cool but I meant it would be great to have a retained log of sent messages as you said you were planning in a secured database.

For those of us not too worried about this level of security, is there any way we can save messages before exiting JSMS?

I know and that's cool but I meant it would be great to have a retained log of sent messages as you said you were planning in a secured database.

For those of us not too worried about this level of security, is there any way we can save messages before exiting JSMS?

Not at the moment I'm afraid - we didn't get the spare time to implement the encrypted db... I'll add it to our list of user requests though - that should at least help prioritise the feature!

Happy New Year folks!

I'm proud to say that the popularity of JSMS is going from strength to strength. We had over 2,000 downloads of the app in the last two months alone! And we've only has a small handful of support issues to deal with so that also

So here's yet another thank you for helping make JSMS so popular... Keep spreading the word to your friends!

We've also bee making a few more improvements to JSMS and they should hopefully be available later on this week - were just making sure everything is properly tested before releasing...

Happy texting!

Just to add - JSMS has now been downloaded over 10,000 times.

Good call Finbarr! And apologies folks for not posting news about our last release on this board... But people seem to have figured it out for themselves anyway! We've had OVER 1,000 downloads of JSMS since we made the last release 3 weeks ago!

That's phenomenal growth so many thanks to all of you who have been helping us by spreading the word about JSMS. And I'd especially like to thank all of you that have taken the time to send your praise, thanks, suggestions and feedback to jsmsirl@gmail.com. It's especially nice and gratifying to realise that only about one tenth of the correspondence we receive is actually support related!

Happy (free and easy!) texting folks! :)

We have just released JSMS 4.1.4

Keith has put a lot of work into this one and has completely re-written the communication mechanisms used in JSMS, so hopefully it should feel faster and more reliable. However, some operator sites such as O2, are very unreliable these days so if you have a problem sending, check your operator site to see if it is down.

Here's what's new in this release:

- Reimplemented all HTTP communications code to achieve
    greater reliability.

- Added parsing of the customer's user name from Vodafone
    accounts.

- Fixed import of O2 contacts which have
    apostrophes in the contact name.

- GMail import now works better when a contact
    has multiple phone numbers.

- Removed Meteor statusbar tooltip as it was
    showing garbage.

- Added buttons to some Help dialogs to open
    webpages.

- Disabled automatic update for PowerMac users.

Get the new release here.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Can this application work on the N95???? Or is there a similar app that would work on the N95??

Thanks

Kevin

• Advertisement

Hi Kevin,

No, at the moment JSMS only works on the PC / Mac / iPod Touch and iPhone.

Cheers,
    Finbarr

Advertisement