Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSMS - desktop app to use your free text message allocation (multi-operator)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Hi all. I've just discovered this. Nice work!

I want to use this so send smss from my iPhone. My 1st instinct is to make a web page that will interact with it and access that through safari and gets the server to send the sms's. Before bundling on with that I idea I guess I should ask has anyone else done similar - made a web page to interact with the java?

Or, even better, is anyone working on an iPhone app that sends meteor smses?

One last thing, wtf is the plural of sms?

I haven't used it, but this might be what you are looking for:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/web.php

EDIT:

Actually this looks like it would fit the bill even better:

iPhoneText:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055247529

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dal wrote: »

boards user basquille has also set up a similar service designed for the iphone.

you can get it here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055247529

edit: looks like dal beat me to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

Am i just missing something or is it not possible to enter a recipients number without saving it into the phonebook?

Sorry about the delay with this - but I've implemented this feature in release 4.0.0 of JSMS.

- In version 4.0.0., you can choose to manually enter a number (or type a contact name to use an existing contact). After you send a message to the number, JSMS will check the phone book to see if the number is already in it and if not it will ask you if you want to save it.

JSMS 4.0.0 is now available!

We've given the app a wee bit of a face lift as well as enhancing many features and fixing lots of bugs. Plus, from now on JSMS will automatically install updates for you! This will hopefully leave us in a position to make updates on a more regular basis without having the annoyance of you having to go to the sourceforge website to get the new releases.

As usual please mail any bugs or problems to jsmsirl@gmail.com or post an issue on our bug tracker.

Enjoy!
    The JSMS Team.

The release notes follow:

- JSMS will now automatically update and install new releases.

- Updated connectivity checking and failure handling.

- Added progress information when sending messages.

- Fixed bug where the default spell checker was not being enabled if it was not explicitly selected the preferences dialog.

- Added ability to manually enter phone numbers.

- Added ability to undo and redo edits to messages.

- Resized buttons and enhanced the look and feel of the main window.

- After the user successfully logs into JSMS, we will show the user's name in the title bar and the remaining credits in the status bar.

- Enhanced "About" dialog and added privacy statement.

- Many bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Great work K! Loving the way I can install an Irish dictionary. really cool.:rolleyes: Oh I updated the email address on the site as well. Will sort that out proper in a couple of months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

dal wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Actually this looks like it would fit the bill even better:
    iPhoneText:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055247529

Thanks dal and Sam, both are just what I was looking for.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Great work K! Loving the way I can install an Irish dictionary. really cool.:rolleyes: Oh I updated the email address on the site as well. Will sort that out proper in a couple of months....

Cheers mate!

Ya - the dictionaries are all downloaded from openoffice.org, so we can support any language they have a dictionary for... Multi-lingual multi-cultural Ireland, eh?

:-)

And of course it also helps for those of us that can't remember how to spell Irish words!!! :-)
    The Kid wrote: »
    Cheers mate!

Ya - the dictionaries are all downloaded from openoffice.org, so we can support any language they have a dictionary for... Multi-lingual multi-cultural Ireland, eh?

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Hey, I can't seem to find the option to download contacts from MyMeteor.ie? Where should I be looking?...

Joe

chat2joe wrote: »
    Hey, I can't seem to find the option to download contacts from MyMeteor.ie? Where should I be looking?...

Sorry Joe - that feature stopped working after Meteor updated their website and we haven't got around to fixing it yet. The feature has been disabled in the meantime.

It's on our TODO list to fix the feature. However, for now, you will have to manually copy down the entries. To do it, log into the meteor website, goto the webtext page, and select the "Manage my Phonebook" option. When the phone book appears, scroll down to the last contact and using your mouse select from the last number back up to the first contact. Then, right click on the selection and tell your browser to "copy" the selected text. Paste the text into an empty file. Now you need to remove the lines that simply contains the text "Add" and "Edit". This can be done very quickly and easily if you use the bookmark feature in Texpad (www.textpad.com). Just bookmark all the lines with either entry and then tell it to delete all the bookmarked lines! Of course you can simply delete them manually either.

Then, update the file so that it reads:
    name,number
    name,number

Finally select all of the entries, copy them, and then paste them directly into the JSMS phonebook dialog.

Let me know if you need any more help...

• Advertisement

Hey Folks,

I've just release JSMS 4.0.1. The biggest feature is a fix that was needed for Vodafone users since Vodafone revamped their website. Special thanks to the folks that alerted me of the problem!! You know who you are!

JSMS now uses automatic updates, so it should automatically update itself sometime in the next 24 hours. Make sure that you haven't gone and selected the "Disable Automatic Updates" option in the Tools->Preferences... dialog!!!

You'll be notified when the update has been downloaded and you'll be asked to restart the application. It really should be as simple as that! :-) This is the first time we've rolled this out en-masse, so let us know if you run into problems.

==============================================

- Fixed bug when the number of SMS(s) to be sent was not being calculated correctly.

- Fixed bug where Meteor was sometimes falsely reporting a failed login.

- Added facility to allow the user change the fonts used by JSMS. Feature can be accessed via Tools->Preferences
    in the "Display" tab.

- Added sample logging properties file to distribution to aid with debugging.

- Added option to have the contact automatically unselected after a message is sent.

- Fixed bug where modifications made to the phone book were not being reflected in the group chooser.

- Updated to work with Vodafone's revamped website.

The auto update didn't work first time, but did after a couple of trys (I think it's more to do with my proxy than a fault with the application). Very cool indeed though when it did work.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    The auto update didn't work first time, but did after a couple of trys (I think it's more to do with my proxy than a fault with the application).

Define "didn't work"...

Did you notice it attempting (and failing) to download the update a few times?

Or did you tell it to look for updates a number of times?

Or did it download the update OK, but fail to install it when you re-started JSMS?

I'm guessing that it was a download failure. Sourceforge sends (redirects) the downloader on a merry-go-around of mirror sites to try to get the update from. And sometimes, it doesn't succeed to find a mirror that's willing to work with it. But as you say, the next time we try it usually works OK...

If it "eventually" worked for you, then I'm happy enough that it's working properly.
    Very cool indeed though when it did work.

Cheers! I had to implement my own solution as the Java Web start didn't suit and neither did any of the other solutions I found... I'm happy enough with the way it works alright!

Define "didn't work"...

Did you notice it attempting (and failing) to download the update a few times?

Or did you tell it to look for updates a number of times?

Yeah I clicked 'Check for update' a couple of times. Each time it said it was downloading but then I got a message just saying the update failed (sorry cant remember the exact text).

Or did it download the update OK, but fail to install it when you re-started JSMS?

I'm guessing that it was a download failure. Sourceforge sends (redirects) the downloader on a merry-go-around of mirror sites to try to get the update from. And sometimes, it doesn't succeed to find a mirror that's willing to work with it. But as you say, the next time we try it usually works OK...

Yes this is exactly what it sounds like.

By the way. I'm working on code to import contacts from Outlook. I got this working against Outlook 2003 (testing 2007 as we speak) . However, I am having problems with my proxy here and cannot see the JSMS SVN code within eclipse. So I can't yet integrate this into JSMS. I'll be in touch about this....

By the way. I'm working on code to import contacts from Outlook. I got this working against Outlook 2003 (testing 2007 as we speak) .

Nice one! And I've been working on downloading the contacts from the user's website. The two features should complement each other nicely! :-)
    However, I am having problems with my proxy here and cannot see the JSMS SVN code within eclipse. So I can't yet integrate this into JSMS. I'll be in touch about this....

No worries... It's working fine for me, so there should be no worries getting you up and running again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

JSMS saves you enough money to put Hubble into space.

http://www.physorg.com/news129793047.html

JSMS saves you enough money to put Hubble into space.

http://www.physorg.com/news129793047.html

BRILLIANT! It's saved me a bucket of money myself - but I'd never thought of comparing it to the cost of space exploration!! Nice one Mr. Fibble!!!

:D

Hey folks!

Great news! fbradyirl -- the intrepid and inspired creator of JSMS is back on board the JSMS project and has added some really cool features from his desk in Auckland!

The next version of JSMS has just gone into beta test and it includes a cool new feature (added by the man himself) that will allow you to import contact details into JSMS from your O2/Meteor/Vodafone online account, your GMail account, and even from your Outlook contacts if you are a Windows user.

We've plans to add the ability to import from many other sources too, but this should be enought to give you a taster of what's to come! :-)

So watch this space -- and make sure that your JSMS preferences are set to NOT disable automatic updates. That way - the cool new features will just magically appear on your system as a cool little surprise one morning just as you finish your cornflakes! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hey guys, I'm using JSMS in Ubuntu Hardy Heron and I'm just wondering how to create a launcher that goes direct to the JSMS GUI, maybe it's a Linux qs but do you need to write a script like this?
    cd /home/*name*/Documents/JSMS
    java -jar JSMS.jar

Thanks. :)

Also, the Linux installer .zip file wouldn't open for me, that's why I'm using the Java version.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm using JSMS in Ubuntu Hardy Heron and I'm just wondering how to create a launcher that goes direct to the JSMS GUI, maybe it's a Linux qs but do you need to write a script like this?
    cd /home/*name*/Documents/JSMS
    java -jar JSMS.jar

Thanks. :)

That's exactly it! We provide a start script packaged in the linux installer and it simply does the following:
    java -jar JSMS.jar > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &

Also, the Linux installer .zip file wouldn't open for me, that's why I'm using the Java version.
    Thanks for reporting that! Does it throws a segmentaion fault by any chance? If so I've just reported the same bug to the installer folks at bitrock.com. Basically, I can use the installer on a Fedora Core 4 system, but it just crashes on Fedora Core 9.

And you have the perfect workaround to the problem. Download the jar package instead and run it. The installer doesn't do anything else on Linux anyway!

• Advertisement

Hey folks!

JSMS 4.0.2 is now ready for public consumption! Simply hit the "Help->Check for Updates..." button in JSMS and it should do the rest for you...

Along with a number of bug fixes, we've also added the following new features:

- Added ability to import contacts from:
    * Your mobile operators website
    * GMail contacts
    * Microsoft Outlook (Windows users only)

- Updated the main GUI to retrieve the remaining credits
    for O2 users after they log in.

- Added ability to remove the background image from the
    SMS text area.

Some info to add about the new release- we've also added an auto complete function which means when you start JSMS, simply type the name of the contact you want to sms and a list of contacts should now appear. you can also type in a phone number if you don't have the contact name in your phone book. The import feature mentioned above allows you to quickly load up all your contacts into JSMS without having to type a single one manually. most modern phones have the ability to export all your phone numbers to be copied into Outlook. you can Also upload those contacts to Gmail which can then be imported into JSMS. i think Gmail is the best way as you can access these contacts from any pc connected to the internet. check your phone manual for help with doing this.

That's exactly it! We provide a start script packaged in the linux installer and it simply does the following:
    java -jar JSMS.jar > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &

Thanks for reporting that! Does it throws a segmentaion fault by any chance?
    No problemo, I didn't see any segmentation fault but I was just messing with it for a few mins.

I've never actually wrote a script Linux before, do I just save those lines in a text file and create a launcher to it with the "./" thing? Want to put it on my AWN dock. :)

All those Red Hat labs in college, feckin noob still... :p

BopNiblets wrote: »
    No problemo, I didn't see any segmentation fault but I was just messing with it for a few mins.

The guys that wrote our installer have identified the installer crash as being an issue with their GTK front end. It works properly if you use a different front end mode, e.g. at the command prompt, in the directory where you extracted the installer type:
    ./JSMS-<version>-Linux-installer.bin --mode xwindow

or
    ./JSMS-<version>-Linux-installer.bin --mode text

I've never actually wrote a script Linux before, do I just save those lines in a text file and create a launcher to it with the "./" thing? Want to put it on my AWN dock. :)
    More or less...
    To make your script run, the first line needs to tell it the shell to use to run the script. So add the following to the first line or your script and it'll use the "sh" shell.
    #!/bin/sh

The "./" thing means to execute a file in your current directory. You can use the full path to the file instead of the "." instead if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Thanks for the update - just gets better.

A small FR - the account info is really useful, so how about a) including (if relevant) data plan balance and b) the possibility to update this info without sending a text first?

ozymandius wrote: »
    Thanks for the update - just gets better.

A small FR - the account info is really useful, so how about a) including (if relevant) data plan balance and b) the possibility to update this info without sending a text first?

Useful requests that should should be feasible...

At the moment we only show the balance info for Meteor users, but we can also look into getting that info for O2 and Vodafone users.

Thanks for the feedback!

ozymandius wrote: »

FYI - I've logged your FR in our tracker:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1983991&group_id=196351&atid=957111

Hey folks...

It looks like Meteor did a major revamp on the back end of their website yesterday. As a result JSMS is no longer able to log into the Meteor website. Vodafone and O2 users should be unaffected.

This shouldn't be a big deal to fix, the biggest problem will be me finding the time necessary to figure it out!

As it happens, finbarr and I are just testing version 4.0.3 so we're in a good position to make a new release anyway...

It looks like Meteor did a major revamp ... As a result JSMS is no longer able to log in

We've just made an early release of JSMS 4.0.3 to fix the issue with Meteor accounts. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to test this release even remotely as thoroughly as we would like, so please forgive us if this release doesn't meet the normal quality standards that we usually try to aspire to; here's the deal - if you report bugs quickly, we'll try to fix them quickly!

One thing that I have noted is that the Meteor website still occasionally returns an error. JSMS will always tell you when it can't send a message and simply trying again seems to work...

We've been busy (well Finbarr has been busy!) since the last release, as the following list of features will highlight...
    • Added a phone book manager and a button to launch it from the main screen. Multiple contacts can added to a group by drag and drop or multi-selection.
    • Redesigned Login window.
    • Added ability to export and import contacts (great for backing up your phone book).
    • Contacts can be searched by typing their name.
    • Updated message window and made background colours configurable, just like the fonts are.
    • Added message log showing message history since JSMS was launched.
    • Updated JSMS to work with Meteor's latest website update.
    • Fixed bug where user could only enter a manual number up to 10 digits long (needed for O2 users).
    • Updated installer and "About" box images and fixed bug where the installer crashed on certain Linux platforms.
    • Temporarily removed broken "sendToGroups" functionality.
    Enjoy - and please report any bugs to us at jsmsirl@gmail.com

Regards,
    The JSMS Team.

• Advertisement

Ok, I switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint and I never got that Desktop Launcher thing working

Here's what I have and no matter what I put in it won't launch JSMS from the shortcut/launcher!
    screenshotcreatelauncheyg1.th.png :o

Advertisement