Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 3 day test drive

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Sizzler wrote:
    Whats the small print on this deal?? Could you just get one out and tear the bollix out of it for the wkend?!??

yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Sizzler wrote:
    Whats the small print on this deal?? Could you just get one out and tear the bollix out of it for the wkend?!??

Pretty much, as the joke says "what's the fastest car in the world.....A rental car!"

i seen a savage looking opc opel astra today.it looked so cool with the 19" alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Got the astra yesterday, i seriously think i should have had it next weekend but im not complaining bank holiday weekend and all.
    To dubling and back to move some stuff home yesterday. Its maybe a little underpowered, few bhp more would have been nice (or engine bigger than 1.4)

Not to much to complain about really other than that. Off to athlone in a few mins and then on to letterkeny. I hope i can drive this up north cause i could save an hour driving back to cavan that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Cool, picking myself up an Astra next friday. We'll see how it goes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

happy days just booked meself in for my trip to galway-- €20 for insurance !!!
    anybody know what would happen if i left it back a day late? just worried about getting home from galway in time

jozi wrote:
    I hope i can drive this up north cause i could save an hour driving back to cavan that way.

If you're using your own insurance, yes you can. If you paid the €20 for enterprises insurance then you're not covered in the north !
    neacy69 wrote:
    anybody know what would happen if i left it back a day late?

Effectively it's a hire car from enterprise so you could be charged a days hire on the car.

i booked the 3 day test drive foir the 30th june.for the opel astra.

If you're using your own insurance, yes you can. If you paid the €20 for enterprises insurance then you're not covered in the north
    Oops :o

Great weekend just about 1000km's on the clock since friday morning. Like the car for its looks. Got comfy enough after a bit of fidling with the seat and steering column.
    Found it hard to see much trought the little windows, lots of mirror usage.
    I still find it a pitty it's only got a 1.4i something with a little more poke would have been nicer for over taking (I hate it when it goes so slow).
    I'll prob get it cleaned tonight or before i leave it back, got pretty dusty and quite a few flies stuck to the front bumper :D
    Not sure how fast i can go, manuals spec says 170odd km, i recon maybe a little more (didnt want to chance finding out and meeting a garda)
    Would i buy one?
    I wouldnt get the 1.4, maybe in a year or 2-3 get a secondhand one, doubt ill get one from new

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I cant see the reason for them useing base models, surely this would put people off. Besides the fact that the vectra my mother got last year and the zafira I go tthis year were horrible cars to drive with horrible interiors, being base models they had nothing other than seats and a radio in them, whereas if you go into atey usually have a top spec one so that when you sit in it and mess about you see loads of gadgets and the like to play with and think, cool.

When you get a poverty spec one, you end up loking for things and thinking, jesus this car has feck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're rental cars aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:
    they're rental cars aren't they?

I know but it's organised through opel with the intention of getting sales so you'd think they'd be making the effort. The could have given enterprise the higher spec'd cars at a cut price if the first few months of their life was to be spent trying to get sales. They'd only need the test drives to result in a couple of sales to cover the concessions. We're talking extras that probably only cost opel a couple of hundred quid but have the potential top make thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stekelly wrote:
    When you get a poverty spec one, you end up loking for things and thinking, jesus this car has feck all.

Surely they could at least have found a few diesels. No one is going to be much impressed with an asthmatic 1.6 vectra if they just got out of a D4-D/ TDI etc; in fact it will be a distinct turn off for most.

What's the whole necessity of a credit card? Is it because of the surplus you pay for insurance? (If something does happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's the whole necessity of a credit card? Is it because of the surplus you pay for insurance? (If something does happen)

Because it is a standard car rental agreement between you and Enterprise Car Hire. Your credit card details are to cover them in case you drop it back and it is damaged in some way. Have a read of the small print in the terms and conditions. You cannot rent a car these days without a credit card I'm afraid.

If it is damaged, wouldn't Insurance cover that? I thought that that was the whole point of insurance... Anyway, told them I don't have one and they said that the cardholder would just have to come with me to get the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If it is damaged, wouldn't Insurance cover that?

Depends on the insurance that you take and the damage you do. Normally there is a deductable of about €300. IE you are liable for the first 300 no matter how the damage occurs.

Not sure about the exact details of the Opel test drive, but you can take a CDW with Enterprise (Collision Damage Wavier) for buttons and have no excess to pay. Of if you abuse the CDW, then they wont be too willing to rent to you again.

I used my mothers creditcard which wsnt a problem.

Left the car back this morning :( He just aked me how i liked it, i signed a form that i returned the car and that was it :eek:

Jozi

I miss it already :(

Heh. Nice to have that "new car" feeling alright for a while. I'm sure I'll miss driving me own car for the 3 days though, probably faster than the Astra anyway..

Depends on the insurance that you take and the damage you do. Normally there is a deductable of about €300. IE you are liable for the first 300 no matter how the damage occurs.

With the Opel test drive, there's an excess of 750 and when I asked could I pay to have this reduced I was told NO.

• Advertisement

The excess on my policy was €250. Had to pay the €20 per day to get my insurance to fully comprehensive.

Got the car and find it's a nice drive but just feels like an Opel Corsa with a bit more power... And no sunroof! Have an Opel Tigra A myself and find it much nippier and more fun to drive than the Astra.

Oh well, will do for a nice touring car anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Got the Astra Sport. Was quite impressed though I'm no expert on cars

I booked the car three weeks beforehand. When I rang to confirm two weeks later, they had no record of my booking. There was still availability though so no big deal.

Thought the whole thing was a bit unprofesional. The Enterprise rep brought the car to the garage an hour late. Annoying as I'd made a big effort to be there on time.

It was the garage receptionist who I checked the car with and luckily I was warned about this. I spotted two scratches that she missed. She clearly didn't know how to fill up the form.

I'm not bothered, it was a car for the weekend and I put over 800km on it.
    But if was contemplating buying an Opel, I wouldn't be too impressed.

I knew about the €20 charge if using their insurance but was never charged.
    Also, the car had a half tank and when I brought it back it was running on fumes.

I was seriously worried I was going to run out of fuel on the M50. I think this may be an finable offence on a motorway-could be wrong again.

They specifically told me to have the tank the way I got it, 1/4 full, when I bring it back. There wasn't any scratches to note and took about 15 mins to sort everything. A bit more professional down here in Kerry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Picked up the Sport Hatch today. The petrol light was on when I hopped in - so I'm going to return it that way. The car was also filthy - it looks like whoever had it before was driving through fields! I'm genuinely thinking of getting one of these in the form of the diesel SRi 1.9CDTi (150ps). I believe this has a Fiat derived diesel engine. Well either this or a Seat Leon TDI choices choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Got a 5 door Astra this morning. Had arranged to collect at 8:30am this morning, and I was there five minutes early for my part, but they guy/girl didn't turn up till after nine and of course I was late for work! If I ever buy an Opel, it wouldn't be from that garage!

Petrol light was on – and paid 20 euros on insurance – didn’t say anything about any excess – EnterpriseIreland girl said everything is covered – just a routine thing for I guess. Car had done about 1000 kilometers when I got it, and it’s a 1.4 ltr petrol Astra Club. Air conditioning, Stereo controls in the steering wheel, six airbags and everything else looks basic. Stereo sounds average, but seats are better than the Toyota’s and Huyndai’s that I am used to.

Not sure why but it really struggles to get a moving from stand still, but seems to have some life on third gear – great to pull away from a round-about etc. Drive was very smooth and stable on M1 at 120 kph this afternoon, and cabin reasonably (compared to 05/06 Toyota Corolla) quiet.

I don’t have the means or desire to own a new car, but I might consider Opel if they are cheap enough to buy second hand. And oh, not that garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I am collecting an astra tmrw but the nearest place to me is Monaghan so i have to drive my own car over there
    will it be ok to leave my own car in the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Call and ask? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

anyone know what model of vectra you get?

Are they doing this again this year?

Wouldnt mind a car for a few days after i finish exams and before i start working :D

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They still have an option to book a test drive on their website. I'm not sure if it's the 3 day test drive or not though.

I'd be tempted to book a drive myself if the offer was still going. Would be nice to have something with a bit more comfort and oomph for a weekend :)

Advertisement