Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 3 day test drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

drdre wrote:
    fletch whats the bhp on the 1.4gtc. also is there any milage restriction on it as i want to go from dublin to limerick and then belfast.
    Its about 90bhp I think....nice power delivery...relatively even all the way through the rev range...a bit of extra pull around 3.5-4k rpm. No mileage restrictions apply...I think I did about 600miles the weekend I had it, most of that was over 5,000rpm :D
    Oh one other thing I didn't like about the Astra was the brakes, totally lacking in feel, and they just grab at the slightest touch of the pedal...in saying that they were verry effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

fletch wrote:
    Its about 90bhp I think....nice power delivery...relatively even all the way through the rev range...a bit of extra pull around 3.5-4k rpm. No mileage restrictions apply...I think I did about 600miles the weekend I had it, most of that was over 5,000rpm :D
    Oh one other thing I didn't like about the Astra was the brakes, totally lacking in feel, and they just grab at the slightest touch of the pedal...in saying that they were verry effective

thanks, and the other question is after i have it for a week can i get it again for a week or can you just get it once.

drdre wrote:
    thanks, and the other question is after i have it for a week can i get it again for a week or can you just get it once.
    I've heard of people (down the country at least) gettin the same car 2 and 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

tabatha wrote:
    i dont get this whole thing of a 1.4?? you do know that there are speed limits? penilty points to be had?
    Do you drive?

Have you ever driven an underpowered car that makes merging on motorways, overtaking on national roads and pulling out of busy junctions a perilous task?

That is why I'm asking about other cars than the 1.4. It's an irish mentality to buy the lowest engine size available in a car. If you go to the UK or europe you'll find few 1.4 Astras and fewer 1.6 Vectras.

commited wrote:
    Do you drive?

Have you ever driven an underpowered car that makes merging on motorways, overtaking on national roads and pulling out of busy junctions a perilous task?

That is why I'm asking about other cars than the 1.4. It's an irish mentality to buy the lowest engine size available in a car. If you go to the UK or europe you'll find few 1.4 Astras and fewer 1.6 Vectras.
    I agree, I drive a 1.4 and often find it dangerously underpowered, like for example, trying to merge onto the M50 northbound at the Blanchardstown roundabout, the 120kph speed limit isn't til quite near the end of the ramp and then it's uphill making it near impossible for me to reach cruising speed to merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I had a wedding to go to a few weeks back. I only have a motorbike right now so I got the Vectra for 20 quid for the weekend. Nice one Opel! Cheap car rental or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Haven't availed of this offer yet (will do soon I'm sure! ;)). Had an Astra rented for a day or two a few weeks ago, fantastic little motor. Wouldn't think it was only a 1.4l - left my folks 1.8l 406 (elephant of a car! :)) for dust. Currently looking to get my grubby hands on a '05 reg'd one in early August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

commited wrote:
    Do you drive?

yes i do drive.

i drive a 1.4 and have never found this. then again i have always had a new car.

i dont think it has anything to do with the irish mentality to be honest. i think its more to do with petrol, insurance and tax costs. as for the uk, well i lived there for a while and my husband is english, it is a different story over there. apart from the fact that they have better roads most people in the uk commute a long way to work so have the need for bigger engine sizes. you will find if you look that most people in the citys drive smart cars or micras to be honest. i drive a 1.4 as all i need is a run around. my husband drives a 3 litre and he does a lot of driving and that suits his needs.

to use an "excuse" that you find it difficult to merge on a motorway with a 1.4 is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Have to agree with tabatha. even a 1.4 is well capable of hitting 120kph by the end of a motorway on ramp. Depressing the accelerator pedal I find does the trick. No it won't do it in 4 seconds, but a lot of the time you're not the only car on the road so you shouldn't be accelerating at 5 G's anyway:)

On topic - do they only do the test drives midweek, or can you get one for the weekend? Might be cheap car rental when I'm getting the Golf serviced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Most models of car that start with a 1.4 are much better off in a 1.6 becaus eof weight for 1. My ex just bought a 2nd hand scenic (older model) in a 1.4 (the are very few 1.6 available) and theres no way it should be a 1.4. She's averageing 34 mpg and if it was a 1.6 it would be teh same or better, The body is too big for a 1.4 but people dont seem to realise this in this country. I had the zafira for th eweekedn , it was a 1.6 and horribly undepowered, it felt liek I was puling a trailer.

Stekelly wrote:
    Most models of car that start with a 1.4 are much better off in a 1.6 becaus eof weight for 1. My ex just bought a 2nd hand scenic (older model) in a 1.4 (the are very few 1.6 available) and theres no way it should be a 1.4. She's averageing 34 mpg and if it was a 1.6 it would be teh same or better, The body is too big for a 1.4 but people dont seem to realise this in this country. I had the zafira for th eweekedn , it was a 1.6 and horribly undepowered, it felt liek I was puling a trailer.

i totally agree with this. my friend has a toyota corolla verso and its a 1.4. like that the car is way to heavy for a 1.4. this is another circumstance when a higger power is needed.

i had my opel for the weekend. collected it on friday morning and brought it back on monday morning.

tabatha wrote:
    to use an "excuse" that you find it difficult to merge on a motorway with a 1.4 is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.
    You ever tried to do it with a full complement of passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do the cars have a big "Opel 3 day test drive" sticker all over them?

I was half tempted to go for the Astra 3 door myself for a weekend. However I have no interest in buying an Opel due to previous bad personnal experience of the brand. Any annoyance at all from them to make a sale after the 3 day test drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fletch wrote:
    I agree, I drive a 1.4 and often find it dangerously underpowered, like for example, trying to merge onto the M50 northbound at the Blanchardstown roundabout, the 120kph speed limit isn't til quite near the end of the ramp and then it's uphill making it near impossible for me to reach cruising speed to merge.
    You actually wait until the 120km/h sign on the on-ramp to start accelerating? Isn't that taking adhering to speed limits a bit too religiously?

I have to say I've never had any problems getting up to merging speed, even in my wife's 1.0 yaris, but then I'm not afraid of using my right foot or using the gearbox unlike some of the people on here, who seem to think the engine will blow up if you exceed 2,000rpm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Had the 1.4 astra for the may bank holiday weekend (so a 4 day test drive).
    The cars are provided by Enterprise rent a car so if you take the insurance it's done through them and their policy doesn't cover you if you go outside the country.
    So for anyone wanting to go up north, transfer your own insurance over.

Oh yeah, make sure there's a tax disc on it. I picked mine up from Crosson Malahide and being the bank holiday weekend there was checkpoints everywhere. I got stopped and the Garda pointed out that there was no tax displayed. Luckily I managed to convince him it was a rental by pointing out the bloody big lettering all over the car telling everyone it was a 3 day test drive (so forget about trying to impress someone claiming it's your new car...the car is covered in phone numbers and ads for the 3 day test), but he did point out that I shouldn't be driving it (so out of a 4 day test drive, I actually got to drive it for 1 day).

bazz26 wrote:
    However I have no interest in buying an Opel due to previous bad personnal experience of the brand. Any annoyance at all from them to make a sale after the 3 day test drive?
    I would have had the same opinion of Opels but the Astra changed mine completely..I would have one tomorrow if I could afford one
    Alun wrote:
    You actually wait until the 120km/h sign on the on-ramp to start accelerating? Isn't that taking adhering to speed limits a bit too religiously?
    Well no, but if one was to wait til the speed limit sign.
    Alun wrote:
    but then I'm not afraid of using my right foot or using the gearbox unlike some of the people on here, who seem to think the engine will blow up if you exceed 2,000rpm :)
    Me either...I use all the available revs and correct gears...guess my 1.4 is a bit underpowered compared to most, being 8 years old and only 8 valves

thats what i mean, older 1.4's might be harder to get going but i found the astra fantastic. it had great pulling power. my current astra is only 2 years old and i have had it full and found no problems - obivously it is a tad slower on the pull but nothing that i couldnt cope with (and that coming from a woman!). cant wait to get my new astra - have to wait 6 weeks as its a special order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

tabatha wrote:
    i drive a 1.4 and have never found this. then again i have always had a new car.
    Cars dont really lose that much power as they get older. Do you drive a 1.4 astra? I havent driven the last model astra, but I drove the predecessor. The 1.4 was woefully underpowered.
    i dont think it has anything to do with the irish mentality to be honest. i think its more to do with petrol, insurance and tax costs. as for the uk, well i lived there for a while and my husband is english, it is a different story over there. apart from the fact that they have better roads most people in the uk commute a long way to work so have the need for bigger engine sizes. you will find if you look that most people in the citys drive smart cars or micras to be honest. i drive a 1.4 as all i need is a run around. my husband drives a 3 litre and he does a lot of driving and that suits his needs.

The most ridiculous thing you've ever heard?

I only have a 1.3, but it's perfectly suited to the size car. I've driven 1.4 golfs and 1.4 astras before and they were horrendously under powered. The 50-120kph time was shocking unless you absolutely revved the balls off it.

Indeed we arent the same as the UK. My grandmother lives in the UK, has never bought the smallest, cheapest car in the class - no one there really does. The tax and insurance difference is very little between a 1.4 and a 1.6 and, depending on the engine, a 1.6 will often return the same if not better economy than a 1.4 as it doesnt have to be worked as hard to achieve the same progression.

Also - do you ever carry passengers? My mothers car is a 1.2 and a year old, which isnt exactly the most powerful at the best of times. With 5 in the car (which it is designed to carry), it uses a ridiculous amount of petrol and getting to 120kph takes half the motorway.

A 1.6 litre engine in a Zafira is just as ridiculous. Imagine carrying 7 passengers with a puny engine like that pulling you along! My basic point was, the only reason for a larger engine in a car isnt to do eleventy million miles an hour around the place - it's to make progression more effortless and crusing more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

committed wrote:
    Cars dont really lose that much power as they get older

He probably means having an older and less efficient model of engine rather than the engine slowing down as it ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tabatha wrote:
    i totally agree with this. my friend has a toyota corolla verso and its a 1.4. like that the car is way to heavy for a 1.4. this is another circumstance when a higger power is needed.

Toyota never did the Corolla Verso in 1.4.

Only 1.6, and 1.8 petrol engines, and 2.0 and 2.2 in diesel

Stark wrote:
    He probably means having an older and less efficient model of engine rather than the engine slowing down as it ages.

Actually, the new Astra has the same 90bhp 1.4 litre engine as the previous model Astra. I would assume the new Astra is a heavier car due to increased safetly features.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Toyota never did the Corolla Verso in 1.4.

Only 1.6, and 1.8 petrol engines, and 2.0 and 2.2 in diesel

actually they did - http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=450616&ID=718723&NumPics=1&Make=Toyota&Model=Corolla%20Verso&frmFilter=

tabatha wrote:

That is actually a typo on that dealer's part Tabatha, the smallest engine available in the Corolla Verso was in fact a 1.6 litre.

well if its a 1.6 thats even worse! it should be at least a 2l to pull that weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i still havenot got a call back from them yet.there so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Got phone call today, getting the astra friday week and cant wait :D

Now what to do with it..... Roadtrip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

nice one, when did you register jozi, and did you specify a branch?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Some time last week when i was supposed to be studying i think.
    I asked for the cavan opel branch, cavan isnt even listed in the counties bit :confused: but they rang today from the uk.

I hope i get the sport hatch, im sure i wanted it on the form but they guy didnt mention now that i think of it. Not that i would complain if i got the normal astra. 20 Euro's (insurance) and petrol (i assume) for 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cantab. wrote:
    I registered for this on Tuesday (www.opel.ie), got a call yesterday and am picking up an 06 Astra GTI for a 3 day weekend test-drive on the 23rd June!

Thing is, I have never driven on my own before as I passed my test about 6 months ago and I'm a bit nervous. Seems a bit mad giving me a car like this, but sure it'll be a laugh. I'm gonna do a road trip of Ireland: Dublin -> Waterford -> Cork -> Kerry -> Galway -> Sligo -> Donegal -> Derry -> Belfast -> Dublin.

Whats the small print on this deal?? Could you just get one out and tear the bollix out of it for the wkend?!??

Advertisement