Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 3 day test drive

Options
  • 26-05-2006 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I registered for this on Tuesday (www.opel.ie), got a call yesterday and am picking up an 06 Astra GTI for a 3 day weekend test-drive on the 23rd June!

Thing is, I have never driven on my own before as I passed my test about 6 months ago and I'm a bit nervous. Seems a bit mad giving me a car like this, but sure it'll be a laugh. I'm gonna do a road trip of Ireland: Dublin -> Waterford -> Cork -> Kerry -> Galway -> Sligo -> Donegal -> Derry -> Belfast -> Dublin.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

SXI, SRI, and OPC all exist but GTI does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Gtc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Ok, ok, Astra sport hatch... Whatever that is? Sounds fast anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Cantab. wrote:
    I registered for this on Tuesday (www.opel.ie), got a call yesterday and am picking up an 06 Astra GTI for a 3 day weekend test-drive on the 23rd June!

Thing is, I have never driven on my own before as I passed my test about 6 months ago and I'm a bit nervous. Seems a bit mad giving me a car like this, but sure it'll be a laugh. I'm gonna do a road trip of Ireland: Dublin -> Waterford -> Cork -> Kerry -> Galway -> Sligo -> Donegal -> Derry -> Belfast -> Dublin.

make sure there are no terms & conditions about crossing into the north....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Just ordered one for two weeks time. Terms and conditions are about three lines long seems like an easy way to get a new car for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Cantab. wrote:
    Thing is, I have never driven on my own before as I passed my test about 6 months ago and I'm a bit nervous.

That's OK. Just stick to 40mph and hug the white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i had this about 2 weeks ago. i was very impressed. so much so that i went out and bought one today. i got the design model. lovely car. i have always loved opel anyway. its a great offer. you can also get the vectra or a zafira.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm guessing Astra sport hatch will be 1.4. wouldn't worry about going fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do they give you any hassle when you drop the car back, or can you just walk away?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

muletide wrote:
    Just ordered one for two weeks time. Terms and conditions are about three lines long seems like an easy way to get a new car for the weekend

Insanely easy as you need to be over 25 or have your licence for 2 years in order to rent a car normally.

I assume they do require you to have a full licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Del2005 wrote:
    Do they give you any hassle when you drop the car back, or can you just walk away?
    No hassle whatsoever....just hand in the keys and thats it, they check to make sure you haven't damaged it, that's it....no pushy sales man or the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i have applied again, as the last time the dealer rang me and left a message and said the astra is booked the date i want it.i can accept it anytime now.

also cantab what garage are you getting it from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Do they just give you astra 1.4's or do they offer some decent engines?

Terms and Conditions:
    "Drivers must be 21 years or older with a full driving licence. Drivers must have a valid credit card or laser card for security purposes. A €20 charge applies to Drivers who do not have their own insurance to transfer. Test drives begin on Mondays and Fridays. "

I have my own insurance, but I wouldnt want to transfer it over and leave my car uninsured. I'd rather pay €20. Do you reckon they'd be ok with that?

commited wrote:
    Do they just give you astra 1.4's or do they offer some decent engines?

Terms and Conditions:
    "Drivers must be 21 years or older with a full driving licence. Drivers must have a valid credit card or laser card for security purposes. A €20 charge applies to Drivers who do not have their own insurance to transfer. Test drives begin on Mondays and Fridays. "

I have my own insurance, but I wouldnt want to transfer it over and leave my car uninsured. I'd rather pay €20. Do you reckon they'd be ok with that?

yes i would like that question answered .i donot want to transfer my insurance.

Just to go OT - drdre - is your golf grey and were you doing exams in the RDS last week/week before last?

Also - what car have you booked?

commited wrote:
    Just to go OT - drdre - is your golf grey and were you doing exams in the RDS last week/week before last?

Also - what car have you booked?

yes that was me, its blue graphite.i was in simmonscourt.Are you in commerce.im going to call opel on monday as i was about to book it but cannot find the link for some reason.so i will call them.

Ah yeah - thought it was - not many mk5 1.4 golfs with full beige leather interior! Nice colour actually!

I'm not doing commerce, just finishing off my engineering degree.

let me know how you get on with the test drive.

commited wrote:
    Ah yeah - thought it was - not many mk5 1.4 golfs with full beige leather interior! Nice colour actually!

I'm not doing commerce, just finishing off my engineering degree.

let me know how you get on with the test drive.

yes that was mine with the leather.i will let you guys know how i get on.i will call them 1st thing on monday or can someone get me a exact link to the online registeration form asi cannot find it now..

also when is this offer finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Unlike the rest of ye "boy-racers", I went for the Vectra. Pity the don't have the cabriolet available.

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Unlike the rest of ye "boy-racers", I went for the Vectra. Pity the don't have the cabriolet available.

what do you mean by that?

• Advertisement

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Unlike the rest of ye "boy-racers", I went for the Vectra.
    My Dad got one of those last year and sent it back the very next day....compared to his 6year old Mondeo, the body roll was shockin so he had enough and sent it back

fletch wrote:
    My Dad got one of those last year and sent it back the very next day....compared to his 6year old Mondeo, the body roll was shockin so he had enough and sent it back

which one the astra?

drdre wrote:
    which one the astra?
    No no the Vectra.....I had the Astra for a weekend and she handled beautifully....

fletch wrote:
    No no the Vectra.....I had the Astra for a weekend and she handled beautifully....

yes im going to get the astra.

drdre wrote:
    yes im going to get the astra.
    You'll enjoy it....nice low drivin position...feels quite racy....only gripes I had...heater controls were too low and hard to read, indicators were headwrecking, dash looked tacky IMO, air con sapped power....other than that I loved the car...especially the radio controls on the steerin wheel....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Duiske_Lad wrote:

Please pass on my sympathy.

An appaling car. I drove a 2.2 petrol Vectra recently and it was shockingly poor.

fletch wrote:
    You'll enjoy it....nice low drivin position...feels quite racy....only gripes I had...heater controls were too low and hard to read, indicators were headwrecking, dash looked tacky IMO, air con sapped power....other than that I loved the car...especially the radio controls on the steerin wheel....
    What Astra did you get?

I wouldn't be bothered driving the 1.4 - any of the quicker petrol or diesel variants available?

Also, do you have to return the car with a full tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i dont get this whole thing of a 1.4?? you do know that there are speed limits? penilty points to be had?

commited wrote:
    What Astra did you get?

I wouldn't be bothered driving the 1.4 - any of the quicker petrol or diesel variants available?

Also, do you have to return the car with a full tank?
    Yeh I got the 1.4GTC....no quicker variants available....they gave me the car with a quarter tank...so ya just have to make sure you leave it back with a quarter tank

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Yeh I got the 1.4GTC....no quicker variants available....they gave me the car with a quarter tank...so ya just have to make sure you leave it back with a quarter tank

fletch whats the bhp on the 1.4gtc. also is there any milage restriction on it as i want to go from dublin to limerick and then belfast.

Advertisement