Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell Czechers' views on Dyslexia

Options
124»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The Spell Czech forum is supposed to be for those of us that get annoyed by bad spelling and grammar. It's not about going around trying to police the website and ridiculing bad spelling or grammar.

I never ever correct posters' grammar or spelling unless (a) they are a member of the SC forum, or (b) they have corrected someone else's grammar (and are fair game). I will also only do this if it won't take away from a thread.

I've been in plenty of arguments with bad spellers on this site, and not once have I ever tried to come back at them with "it's their not they're" or something along those lines; that's purely because it is a sign of a weak argument.

I would generally discourage any Spell Czechers from maliciously correcting people's grammar or spelling in another forum, because it can be very rude and annoying (and sometimes, wrong). On the other hand, if they want to do it, it's their prerogative.

The forum itself is somewhere that people can post about the things that annoy them, or learn from other users what the proper rules are with regards to grammar etc. It's not a secret hideaway where we laugh at dyslexics. We're just in there, having a bit of fun.

We are also having our bit of fun mostly at my expense! Which is nice.*

As for the OP being annoyed about the flag: tough beans! The flag is just something to indicate membership of the forum, or the fact that someone is pedantic about grammar. I don't see how it can be disruptive to a thread because it's only 54 x 35 pixels, or 42 x 22 pixels. It's in plain colours, it doesn't flash or move or scream or anything else. It's just a simple little graphic that I made for those who wanted it.

*Whoever pulls me up on starting a sentence with a conjunctive, I have this to say: yeah, so? It still makes sense doesn't it? (Which is what you should be saying to anyone who corrects your grammar and spelling.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think you will find text speak also makes sense, how and ever, that is no excuse. :P

Advertisement