Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell Czechers' views on Dyslexia

Options
  • 26-05-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I have to say that sometimes I do get annoyed when I read something with poor grammar and/or spelling. However, what annoys me more, on boards.ie or any other forum for that matter, when a contributor, instead of discussing the subject matter of the post, launches an attack against the poster's spelling. Do these people not take into account that:

1. Some people may suffer from dyslexia, and so are more prone to making spelling mistakes than others.

2. Some people on discussion boards just post in a complete rush without going through what they've written with a fine-tooth comb so these spelling mistakes are simply that, mistakes, not an indication of one poster's inferiority to another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

here here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I am aware of a couple of posters with difficulties and as one of the dreaded SC I make it a point of honour not to take the p1$$ out of these people. I think I can safely say the same on behalf of the other SC gang.

We only have a bit of fun at the expense of those who should know better. A lot of the time we are scoring points, as it were, off each other rather the general public.

Not everyone who picks holes in other people's grammar is an SC. There are a lot of amateurs out there. ;)

/edit Sneaky spelling fix. Nobody will notice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

gaf1983 wrote:
    I have to say that sometimes I do get annoyed when I read something with poor grammar and/or spelling. However, what annoys me more, on boards.ie or any other forum for that matter, when a contributor, instead of discussing the subject matter of the post, launches an attack against the poster's spelling. Do these people not take into account that:

1. Some people may suffer from dyslexia, and so are more prone to making spelling mistakes than others.

2. Some people on discussion boards just post in a complete rush without going through what they've written with a fine-tooth comb so these spelling mistakes are simply that, mistakes, not an indication of one poster's inferiority to another.

I agree with this. The only inexcusable time is blatent txt spk I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

i agre i tink spell czechrs r stupid n dat we shud get rid of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I think people who attack a contributor's spellings do it when them theyselves have a weak arguement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I agree some of the posters on are complete dicks, when it comes to grammar and spelling, they got bullied all there life, and now it's there turn to give abuse back hiding behind their computer screens.

I ask ? would they be so confrontational if they in public , I DONT THINK SO

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

grammar nazi's imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'll just throw in the words 'order' and 'chaos' there!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

gaf1983 wrote:

:werd:

people who attack other people for bad spelling/grammar (especially on the net) are fu(king losers

kthxbye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

gaf1983 wrote:
    However, what annoys me more, on boards.ie or any other forum for that matter, when a contributor, instead of discussing the subject matter of the post, launches an attack against the poster's spelling. D:

It is a simple as this.. The people who do this are basically complete C O C K S .

• Advertisement

Ag marbh wrote:
    I agree with this. The only inexcusable time is blatent txt spk I think

IF U DNT LIKE TXT SPK DEN DNT READ IT :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

gaf1983 wrote:
    If thats the case and their post is riddled with spelling mistakes, they should use a spell checker.

IF U DNT LIKE TXT SPK DEN DNT READ IT :rolleyes:

Do you want a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I remember there used to be a thread in Feedback? about SC and dyslexia.

OP, do you have any examples on incidents where SC would have come down too hard on someone?

Personally I hate when people use bad grammar/txt spk when spell checking is available on the "Reply to Thread" page.

This kind of posting is BAD:
    Hey u.....no stalker here.....if im planning to stalk sumone.... LOL anyways.....im all grow up now so i wanna jump him !!!!!! JK...or nope ...... maybe.....u never know.....hmmm maybe i should upload my pic here next time......well this guy name is Alan.......if this is his real name......he works in a mobile phone in Sandyford........ thats the lastest i know from him.........he is @ his early 30s.....goshhhhhh havent seen him for 8 years...... why u people think im so desperate to see if anyone can help me out?.........Biko....really appreciate your help......u sounded like a nice person haha......PM me if you guys want to.......if i cant find him....maybe i will jusz go over there and hang out.....lata!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Not to be too facetious about a fairly serious problem, but Dyslexia affects about 6-8% of the population, while the prevalence of poor spelling and grammar is much higher. Typos are to be expected, but many people misspell deliberately; they think they look cool.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Do you want a fight?

id jus kik ur ass ;)

but do you know what i mean? if you don't like something don't look, if theres something sh1t on one TV station.....do you complain or change the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hagar wrote:

Not everyone who picks holes in other people's grammer is an SC. There are a lot of amateurs out there. ;)

Time to fall on your sword, perhaps?

Or at least resign from Spell Czechers?:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Don't blame me just because I'm better than you :) Just learn to fcuking write.

id jus kik ur ass ;)

but do you know what i mean? if you don't like something don't look, if theres something sh1t on one TV station.....do you complain or change the channel?

When you're following a thread or just reading someones query that may sound interesting by the title until you get inside and realise its written in txt spk. Txt spk is just pure laziness and not a result of dyslexia or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

These people annoy me too but I've since found out that some of them are sad star trek lovers like me and this saves them from my wrath.

Still though, read my sig Nazis.

• Advertisement

Ag marbh wrote:
    When you're following a thread or just reading someones query that may sound interesting by the title until you get inside and realise its written in txt spk. Txt spk is just pure laziness and not a result of dyslexia or anything.

as long as you are not hurting anyone i don't see why people can't do what they want, if boards wasn't an irish site it would be total sh1t, too many people making up stupid rules

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The only things that annoy me are grammar mistakes.
    For instance: There - refers to a place
    Their - is possessive
    They're - They are
    also
    Your - possessive
    You're - You are

Spelling mistakes happen all the time but there really is no excuse for bad grammar if english is your first language.

as long as you are not hurting anyone i don't see why people can't do what they want, if boards wasn't an irish site it would be total sh1t, too many people making up stupid rules

Well you cant hurt anyone over the internet but yet alot of annoyances exist. I personally don't know anyone who enjoys reading txt spk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

There are people with dyslexia out there yeah, but most of the rest of you don't show any signs of true dyslexia, just sheer fcuking laziness.
    I work in a dyslexia-related environment, so don't accuse me of being rash here.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Well you cant hurt anyone over the internet but yet alot of annoyances exist. I personally don't know anyone who enjoys reading txt spk.

i agree its stupid, but its not hurting anyone and its just as easy to read, maybe not for the older generation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Ag marbh wrote:

I agree totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The dsylexia issue is odd. A few points:

a) Txt speak is a no-no on here. I and the other mods don't have the option of not reading it.

b) There is a line, if you cannot communicate via the written word (as in on here), it's a very big problem. The odd misspelling etc is different to this, but posts which are unreadable will be challenged etc. You cannot expect people to say nothing if they cannot make out the general meaning of the post!

c) People who nit pick grammar are very rude generally. There are times when it's "ok" but to post only to correct someone's spelling and/or grammar is just plain acting the prick. But, Spell Czechs(sp?) is different tbh. It's just a bit of messing going on in a private forum.

d) Someone who is merely a poor speller can claim to be dyslexic online to save them the bother of having to spell check their posts. I imagine that few would be this callous, but they have been known to exist.

In general, on a forum I moderate, if I see someone nit picking someone else's grammar I'll warn them, or ban them if it continues. Nitpicking over a single or a few small mistakes is just plain rude. The problem is, I view it as totally justifiable for someone to complain about a very poorly spelt post. (I find poorly spelt posts extremely hard so I sympathise to an extent). Where do you draw the line between these? I don't know, but tbh this is a written medium, if your posts are extremely poorly spelt and yet you don't do other the courtesy of using a spell checker then I think you're open game tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Im Dyslexic and i use spell checkers all the time or it would look like a 4yr old wrote this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i agree its stupid, but its not hurting anyone and its just as easy to read, maybe not for the older generation ;)

You can get banned for using it on here and most of the forums on this site. So, it's a bad idea to use it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Do the spell czechers not realise that they themselves are more annoying and disruptive than the people who make errors in their posts. I don't really enjoy reading text speak and a post with a lot of errors can be a little bit annoying but to drag an interesting thread off topic for some petty point scoring really is the most annoying thing for me. There's more to life than spelling. It's the message that’s important, not the fact that every word is spelt correctly.

Do you pm each other little gold stars every time you catch someone out. Spelling is just not as important to the rest of us as it is to you and you have no right to force us into making it a priority if we’re happy with the state of most people posts as they stand.

Advertisement