Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell Czechers' views on Dyslexia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

nesf wrote:
    You can get banned for using it on here and most of the forums on this site. So, it's a bad idea to use it. :)

thank god i don't use it then ;) this place is getting way to strict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

gaf1983 wrote:
    I have to say that sometimes I do get annoyed when I read something with poor grammar and/or spelling. However, what annoys me more, on boards.ie or any other forum for that matter, when a contributor, instead of discussing the subject matter of the post, launches an attack against the poster's spelling. Do these people not take into account that:

1. Some people may suffer from dyslexia, and so are more prone to making spelling mistakes than others.

2. Some people on discussion boards just post in a complete rush without going through what they've written with a fine-tooth comb so these spelling mistakes are simply that, mistakes, not an indication of one poster's inferiority to another.

Can you quote an example please? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've come across people with dyslexia who type just fine on a post because they take their time about it and spell check. Refusing to spell properly and blaming it on that in a place like this isn't the best of excuses.

As for the rest, the amount of common errors on these boards is insane. People should absolutely know that "might of/could of/would of" is never EVER acceptable, and that there is a difference between "been" and "being".
    I don't care how pedantic that makes me - confusing two completely different words like that just because you are lazy is just wrong.

There is no need for posting with speed on this forum, generally speaking, which means you don't have so much of an excuse of "I typed it in a rush" either. Taking a few extra seconds to read back over a post makes all the difference and is appreciated.

Oh an incidentally, I have no notions of being "superior" to someone else just because I correct spelling and grammar. I do it to educate people, it's not malicious. If I get annoyed or irritated, it's because I can't believe how widespread some mistakes are and the sheer apathy of the people concerned.

I would also appreciate in return, since we're on the subject, not to be snapped at for pointing out that a post is completely illegible. If I'm telling you I can't read a post, it means I can't read the damn post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

biko wrote:
    OP, do you have any examples on incidents where SC would have come down too hard on someone?

No, not on boards.ie, but I noticed that a friend of mine in college who I emailed would always have loads of mistakes in his responses, and I had thought it was just bad spelling/laziness on his part, but then someone mentioned to me that he has dyslexia, so people can jump to the wrong conclusions sometimes.

gaf1983 wrote:
    No, not on boards.ie, but I noticed that a friend of mine in college who I emailed would always have loads of mistakes in his responses, and I had thought it was just bad spelling/laziness on his part, but then someone mentioned to me that he has dyslexia, so people can jump to the wrong conclusions sometimes.

That is what the SC forum was created for, so members do not offend anyone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gaf1983 wrote:

Tbh mate, if he had loads of mistakes in his responses then he's still in the wrong. That he can't take the time in an email to spell check is just plain rude to the recipient. Having dyslexia is not an excuse for having a lot of mistakes in something that you can spell check easily (ie. there is a huge difference between a written letter and an email when it comes to dyslexia).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

nesf wrote:
    c) People who nit pick grammar are very rude generally. There are times when it's "ok" but to post only to correct someone's spelling and/or grammar is just plain acting the prick. But, Spell Czechs(sp?) is different tbh. It's just a bit of messing going on in a private forum.

I suppose my opening-post* is aimed against these types of people. But then what exactly is the Spell Czechers' role? Is it just to tell people who are obviously too lazy to write properly to cop on?

*Or should that be OP? So are acronyms for internet terms allowed but the shortening of everyday words as is done in txt spk not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

bluewolf wrote:
    As for the rest, the amount of common errors on these boards is insane. People should absolutely know that "might of/could of/would of" is never EVER acceptable, and that there is a difference between "been" and "being".
    I don't care how pedantic that makes me - confusing two completely different words like that just because you are lazy is just wrong.

The one that really gets me is when people say something like "I have more then you" instead of "I have more than you". I don't know how people are getting "then" and "than" confused and I have only noticed it happening in the last year or so, but it seems to be quite a common mistake these days.

I hate text speak too, I usually ignore posts written in text speak because they are too much effort to try to read. I never even use it in texts.

I really don't mind the odd spelling mistake or little bit of bad grammar as long as I can still read the post and understand what was being said. I always re-read my own posts before I click submit and even then I often find mistakes in them once I go back and read them in the thread :)

gaf1983 wrote:
    I suppose my opening-post* is aimed against these types of people. But then what exactly is the Spell Czechers' role? Is it just to tell people who are obviously too lazy to write properly to cop on?

*Or should that be OP? So are acronyms for internet terms allowed but the shortening of everyday words as is done in txt spk not?

*cough* OP= original poster *cough* ;)

SC's role is, in my opinion, a bit of fun. It's members have no right to correct people's mistakes on here and are afforded no special right to do so.

The whole internet terms versus txt spk debate is a complicated one. Personally, I think there is a huge difference between an acronym like tbh or lol and dropping letters from words like spk, rtd or txt. However, culturally, one belongs here and one doesn't (AOL speak is a seperate language which is not related to the other Internet linguistic groups). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sinecurea wrote:
    Don't blame me just because I'm better than you :) Just learn to fcuking write.

You left out a full stop and its spelt "fucking".

If your going to be anal about spelling and grammer, then you need to be all the time. :p;)

Although the SC forum helps keep the possible chances of upsetting someone on another forum to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

bluewolf wrote:
    I've come across people with dyslexia who type just fine on a post because they take their time about it and spell check. Refusing to spell properly and blaming it on that in a place like this isn't the best of excuses.

There is no need for posting with speed on this forum, generally speaking, which means you don't have so much of an excuse of "I typed it in a rush" either. Taking a few extra seconds to read back over a post makes all the difference and is appreciated.

Oh an incidentally, I have no notions of being "superior" to someone else just because I correct spelling and grammar. I do it to educate people, it's not malicious. If I get annoyed or irritated, it's because I can't believe how widespread some mistakes are and the sheer apathy of the people concerned.

I would also appreciate in return, since we're on the subject, not to be snapped at for pointing out that a post is completely illegible. If I'm telling you I can't read a post, it means I can't read the damn post.

That's an absolutely amazing post wolfy.

You complain about people snapping at you while writing a snappy post directed at the people who snapped at you originally.

You claim not to be superior but at the same time have an obsession to educate people. The same people you called monkeys on crack in the original version of your post which you edited, probably because you wrote it in a rush. You then go on to tell people not to rush their posts and read over them before posting.
    The use of could of / would of / should of is not important to I would say nearly everyone except the die hard ( I'm not superior, I'm just educating you crack monkeys) people such as yourself.

The only bit of advice I would give you is read your own sig. You don't come across as either understanding or compassionate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Hobbes wrote:
    You left out a full stop and its spelt "fucking".

If your going to be anal about spelling and grammer, then you need to be all the time. :p;)

Although the SC forum helps keep the possible chances of upsetting someone on another forum to a minimum.

it's
    you're
    grammar

All the time, OK. ;)

gaf1983 wrote:

They aren't allowed to openly 'attack' someone any any forum they wish, nor can you tell anyone to 'cop on'. Members have nothing against anyone who is dyslexic, or typing errors. They are against laziness.

clown bag wrote:
    You claim not to be superior but at the same time have an obsession to educate people.

Since when has educating someone been about being superior?
    clown bag wrote:
    The use of could of / would of / should of is not important to I would say nearly everyone except the die hard ( I'm not superior, I'm just educating you crack monkeys) people such as yourself.

It is annoying. When I'm reading a post and I see it, it bothers me. And I'm most definitely not a die-hard grammar nazi! (observe the mistakes in the last line for proof.... ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The reason our forum is private is to stop any ill feeling. I can't see why it has become such an issue, especially to those people who don't have access and therefore don't know what goes on. Most of the time, we are snapping at each other and it is a bit of fun.
    the Guru

I ask ? would they be so confrontational if they in public , I DONT THINK SO

I certainly would, especially given the confrontational nature of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Someone write a spelling/grammar checker mod for vBulletin, problem solved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Yook wrote:
    Someone write a spell checker mod for vBulletin, problem solved. :)
    On a similar thread a while ago I think someone mentioned a firefox plug-in that was a spell checker for text boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I could be wrong, but I'd say some people with dyslexia might get very hurt when someone criticises their posts. Think, people! To be honest, spelling and grammar errors annoy the **** out of me, but some people who may not have dyslexia might still have difficulty in this area. Fair enough. I'm crap at maths. It's not always easy for people to remember the difference between "then" and "than", "who's" and "whose" etc. Although mixing up "your" and "you're", "their", "there" and "they're" and using "should of" instead of "should have" irks me.

"Since when has educating someone been about being superior?"

It's not her place to forcibly inflict her perfection on other less perfect "monkeys on crack" as she put it originally.

How would we feel if the Catholic Church insisted on emailing everyone about how they should run their life? They have no right unless help is asked for, just like wolfy has no right to take it upon herself to educate people unless they invite her to do so. I find the snotty corrections more annoying than the original errors and feel I have as much of a right to complain about the self appointed educators as they do to complain against the ignorant masses. I’m sorry if I’m picking on poor Bluewolf here but I took exception to her post as I found it to be completely hypocritical and illogical. I felt the same frustration reading her post as I’m sure she feels reading other peoples.
    Anyway live and let live, we’re not at school here. Apologies to Bluewolf if she feels victimised, it wasn’t my intention, just wanted to put my point across in the same forcible way as she put hers. Maybe to see how the shoe feels on the other foot.

clown bag wrote:
    How would we feel if the Catholic Church insisted on emailing everyone about how they should run their life?

Religon / correct spelling and grammar. Not a good comparison in all honesty. Members of boards.ie come from various religons I would imagine, but most of which are using the one language. And now SC members are running peoples lives for them? In fairness, that is a bit over the top. ;)

• Advertisement

ST* wrote:
    Religon / correct spelling and grammar. Not a good comparison in all honesty. Members of boards.ie come from various religons I would imagine, but most of which are using the one language. And now SC members are running peoples lives for them? In fairness, that a bit over the top. ;)

I never said SC where running peoples lives. I used a hypothetical example of the RC church emailing people interfering in their lives as something we would all find unacceptable. The same principle applies to SC interfering in other peoples posts. Unless your guidance was asked for don't force it down other peoples throat. by the way, misquoting people and taking a comment out of context is something I find more offensive than spelling errors.

I can't believe a spell czecher just used the phrase “over the top” to describe my post. That’s how I view spell czecher actions. OTT and quite unnecessary most of the time.

clown bag wrote:
    I never said SC where running peoples lives. I used a hypothetical example of the RC church emailing people interfering in their lives as something we would all find unacceptable. The same principle applies to SC interfering in other peoples posts. Unless your guidance was asked for don't force it down other peoples throat. by the way, misquoting people and taking a comment out of context is something I find more offensive than spelling errors.

I can't believe a spell czecher just used the phrase “over the top” to describe my post. That’s how I view spell czecher actions. OTT and quite unnecessary most of the time.

Actually, he was questioning the validity of equating the correction of a person's grammar with challenging and guiding a person's religious and/or spiritual beliefs. I personally don't take grammar that seriously so I can understand his point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

nesf wrote:
    SC's role is, in my opinion, a bit of fun. It's members have no right to correct people's mistakes on here and are afforded no special right to do so.

*hisses* You're letting the side down! ;)

Anyway, I've never seen much evidence of SCer's using spelling/grammar errors as a point in an argument, or to cover up the fact that they don't have a decent comeback. In general, we only pick on each other in public forums (see my quoting nesf as an example), unless the post is atrocious. We use our own forum to pick things apart, where it doesn't hurt anyone and nobody beyond us is any the wiser.

nesf wrote:
    Actually, he was questioning the validity of equating the correction of a person's grammar with challenging and guiding a person's religious and/or spiritual beliefs. I personally don't take grammar that seriously so I can understand his point.

church emails person to correct their lifestyle without being asked to do so
    spell czecher corrects a persons post without being asked to do so

The common factor is unwanted guidance.

Different scale of intrusion but an unwanted intrusion none the less.
    I just think the SC brigade are a bit correction happy and maybe a pm to the offending poster would be a better option than a petty remark under his original post and even then only extreme cases of bad spelling should be highlighted privately to the OP and not just a minor error which has no impact on the ability to understand the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just consider some non-English speaking person trying to learn the English language, who, trying to improve his English, happens upon the ramblings of some barely-literate poster on these or any other boards. Garbage in – garbage out!

By the way, what does LOL mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

clown bag wrote:
    That's an absolutely amazing post wolfy.

You complain about people snapping at you while writing a snappy post directed at the people who snapped at you originally.

You claim not to be superior but at the same time have an obsession to educate people. The same people you called monkeys on crack in the original version of your post which you edited, probably because you wrote it in a rush. You then go on to tell people not to rush their posts and read over them before posting.

The only bit of advice I would give you is read your own sig. You don't come across as either understanding or compassionate.

I edited my post to take out that quote of monkeys on crack (originally from a forum charter elsewhere which I found quite amusing) precisely because I read over it yet again. I also edited it because it was too snappish.
    The rest of my post was not snappish, in my opinion.
    I have no obsession with educating people - there are words I too cannot spell and I'll use a dictionary to check them when possible. But the things I do know, I want to share. If people want to (genuinely) point out mistakes in my posts I hadn't noticed, then by all means go ahead.

I try to understand - trust me, that's why I don't even bother with your/you're anymore. But come on - "might of" is appalling grammar. I don't actually comprehend how someone does not care about this. It makes no sense. Neither does "I was seen a girl." Come on, look at it. Does that actually not bother you? It makes no sense!! We have grammar rules precisely so people can understand each other, and this stuff is just a step in the wrong direction.

As for compassion - well, I would have thought trying to help improve spelling and grammar was such ;)

Faith wrote:
    *hisses* You're letting the side down! ;)

It was a ploy to draw you out of the woodwork.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

smemon wrote:
    here here :)
    That should read "Hear, hear."

:D.

• Advertisement

What does "lol" mean? I'd really like to know. And "ftw". Thanks.

Advertisement