Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell Czechers' views on Dyslexia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

bluewolf wrote:
    I edited my post to take out that quote of monkeys on crack (originally from a forum charter elsewhere which I found quite amusing) precisely because I read over it yet again. I also edited it because it was too snappish.
    The rest of my post was not snappish, in my opinion.
    I have no obsession with educating people - there are words I too cannot spell and I'll use a dictionary to check them when possible. But the things I do know, I want to share. If people want to (genuinely) point out mistakes in my posts I hadn't noticed, then by all means go ahead.

I try to understand - trust me, that's why I don't even bother with your/you're anymore. But come on - "might of" is appalling grammar. I don't actually comprehend how someone does not care about this. It makes no sense. Neither does "I was seen a girl." Come on, look at it. Does that actually not bother you? It makes no sense!! We have grammar rules precisely so people can understand each other, and this stuff is just a step in the wrong direction.

As for compassion - well, I would have thought trying to help improve spelling and grammar was such ;)

To answer your question, no, the examples you gave don't actually bother me. When reading a post with "would of" or "seen a girl" they don't actually install an irrational sense of anger in me. The above examples make for easy reading and flow quite nicely in my mind even though they are not correct. What doesn't flow quite as easily is when someone disrupts the thread to point out the errors, which in my opinion is a waste of a post.

I think it's rude in the extreme to publicly chastise someone like this and it adds nothing to the thread. As for your compassion, is tough love the same as compassion, if so then ok you’re a very compassionate person. As I said I’m not picking on you and hope I didn’t offend you but I just took exception to your angry post. I have seen other SCers make petty posts in the past and it annoys me as much as “would of” annoys you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

clown bag wrote:
    church emails person to correct their lifestyle without being asked to do so
    spell czecher corrects a persons post without being asked to do so

The common factor is unwanted guidance.

Different scale of intrusion but an unwanted intrusion none the less.
    I just think the SC brigade are a bit correction happy and maybe a pm to the offending poster would be a better option than a petty remark under his original post and even then only extreme cases of bad spelling should be highlighted privately to the OP and not just a minor error which has no impact on the ability to understand the post.

Your logic equates to me correcting a stranger in the pub on my glass of Jameson 1780 being in fact a 12 year old Irish whiskey with me telling him that he should not carry around condoms while on the pull since they are not approved of by the Catholic Church. We should look at the two of these in the same light? The whiskey snob versus the bible basher is an inane comparison at the best.

Seriously mate the common factor here is u****ortant in relation to the two things in question. Throwing in the religion card doesn't win arguments you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I have to say, "txt spk" drives me nuts, however as somone said, it is VERY different to simple spelling & grammar mistakes.
    I find somone pointing out the silliest little mistakes bloody irritating, there have been some I have wanted to bitch-slap big time if I ever meet them in person for doing that.

I can spell-yes, but do I want to spend my leisure time checking each word I type to make sure somone dosent take the piss, no way in hell.
    Personally I couldnt give a flying **** about my spelling mistakes, or what anyone else says about them, but others do and I respect that.

Good humoured little jokes as part of an actual on topic post fine, but somone posting a simple one liner about a mistake makes me want to break necks and kick asses.

IMHO, anyone who does should be treated very strictly as a attention-whore and be given warnings and eventual bannings.
    Its just not on, it shows a lack of respect for others and a "look at me, look at me, look at me" *shrieking kiddie voice*... attitude.

b

(BTW, I cant help notice its never been done on the disability forum, why is that I wonder?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't see how I'm being angry or publicly chastising anyone? It's been quite some time since I corrected anyone on boards, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dudess wrote:
    What does "lol" mean? I'd really like to know. And "ftw". Thanks.

LOL = Laugh Out Loud
    FTW = For The Win

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote:
    LOL = Laugh Out Loud
    FTW = For The Win

Or "For Teh Win" depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

nesf wrote:
    Or "For Teh Win" depending.

You could at least run a spell check before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thanking you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slow coach wrote:
    Time to fall on your sword, perhaps?

Or at least resign from Spell Czechers?:p

See, that's the fun of it. We make mistakes and get lampooned for it. It's just a laugh.

As a rule we don't go around other forums making fun of people, we cut and paste the offending post, 99% of the time without a name, into our private forum so no public ridicule is involved.

Any one of you could ask for admission if you feel you could take the pressure... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

smashey wrote:
    The reason our forum is private is to stop any ill feeling. I can't see why it has become such an issue, especially to those people who don't have access and therefore don't know what goes on. Most of the time, we are snapping at each other and it is a bit of fun.

I certainly would, especially given the confrontational nature of your post.

:o i didnt know we were talking about a forum, i taught it was just a general thing

• Advertisement

:o i didnt know we were talking about a forum, i taught it was just a general thing
    No, if it was a general thing... ;)
    Earthhorse wrote:
    LOL = Laugh Out Loud
    I just knew "lobs out langer" couldn't be right. Wait 'til I get my hands on...

Earthhorse wrote:
    You could at least run a spell check before you post.

I could, but then the reference would be lost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Generally speaking, comments made by any of the Spell Czechers are posted on the Spell Czech's Forum, which is private. Anybody requiring access only has to PM one of the mods. Anybody who has access will tell you that we generally tear into each other, in a good natured way and nobody takes offence. Now with regards to the OP, I have checked, and he/she doesn't have access. The questions running through my mind right now, are why did he/she start this thread, when he/she couldn't have seen what was going on in the first place? Whose battle is he/she fighting? A lot of people are on their high horses here when they don't know what we do, and we certainly don't make fun of dyslexics. Please note that the majority of quotes copied to our forum are anonymous. So, we want to have a moan about grammar and spelling. So what? The next time somebody moans about the price of a pint, bear in mind that there are publicans out there who might be offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

There is one thing that I see a lot on boards. People frequently tryi to get one up on another poster by one of the following: Pointing out spelling mistakes, proving someone wrong or simply verbally attacking another member. One would think that an online forum like boards would not stand for such things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Em...what's wrong with proving someone wrong?

There is one thing that I see a lot on boards. People frequently tryi to get one up on another poster by one of the following: Pointing out spelling mistakes, proving someone wrong or simply verbally attacking another member. One would think that an online forum like boards would not stand for such things.

Don't assume that these people are SC Forum members.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

'should of/ would of' bugs me as does 'been' instead of 'being'. also the misuse of 'their/there/they're' 'your/you're' etc.
    that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

bluewolf wrote:
    Em...what's wrong with proving someone wrong?
    Nothing for as long as you dont gloat about it and make the original poster feel like a twat. It happens happens here the whole time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Grammar is up there with handwriting; a fools achievement.

The first one and the last one are unacceptable on most of the forums here. The last one in particular.

Proving someone wrong however is a different matter. It's mostly encouraged here. If someone posts some bull**** theory on physics/chemistry for instance, then there is nothing wrong with the other posters proving it wrong imho. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People, do not lump people that go around picking on peoples grammar, with no point but to feel like a big man and Spell Czechers together.
    We do charity work and such. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

base2 wrote:

i rarely use capital letters when typing, but use caps all the time when writing. funny how things work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

clown bag wrote:
    Spelling is just not as important to the rest of us as it is to you.
    Fair enough.
    clown bag wrote:
    and you have no right to force us into making it a priority
    We don't. The matter of members correcting each other's spelling and grammar has been addressed already, in the shape of the SC forum. You have no further argument here, so blowing things out of proportion, and condescendingly shortening usernames to 'wolfy' won't win over any SC member. We had a non-SC user announce they were dsylexic on this thread, but used the spell check function. I use it if a word I have typed looks a bit off, but I'm not dyslexic. Imagine that. A person with dyslexia and an SC member, and both spell check from time to time. Wouldn't you agree that anything outside of that is ignorance / laziness? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "spell check funtion"?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

base2 wrote:
    That ranks among the most meaningless statements I've read in recent years - and that's saying something.

Oh yes, and you have two grammatical errors in your post. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ST* wrote:
    Fair enough.

We don't. The matter of members correcting each other's spelling and grammar has been addressed already, in the shape of the SC forum. You have no further argument here, so blowing things out of proportion, and condescendingly shortening usernames to 'wolfy' won't win over any SC member. We had a non-SC user announce they were dsylexic on this thread, but used the spell check funtion. I use it if a word I have typed looks a bit off, but I'm not dyslexic. Imagine that. A person with dyslexia and an SC member, and both spell check from time to time. Wouldn't you agree that anything outside of that is ignorance / laziness? :)

I have no problem with the SC forum, the problem I have is when you take your obsession into the public forums and I see threads disrupted by posters with the little SC flag. By all means copy and paste quotes into your private forum and rip them apart but my problem is petty and sometimes angry corrections on the public threads. As I said if you have a problem with a public user send a pm. don’t assume everyone will appreciate your crusade for perfect posts. There are very few posts which I consider so bad as to warrant disrupting a public thread to point out their errors.
    I'm actually annoyed with myself for wasting time posting replies to you lot :( You will be glad to know this is my last post on the subject.

If wolf has a problem with me shortening her name then I'll stop but it’s something I and a lot of users do and people shorten mine to clown instead of clown bag, it’s just handy. (or lazy) Either way I don't think it’s a major crime once it’s not derogatory and it’s clear what user is referenced.

clown bag wrote:
    I have no problem with the SC forum, the problem I have is when you take your obsession into the public forums and I see threads disrupted by posters with the little SC flag. .
    That is fair enough too. I've yet to see an example of this since the SC forum was created. Make me believe you have a valid argument here, and post one up.
    clown bag wrote:
    If wolf has a problem with me shortening her name
    I'm not sure either way, to be honest.

It's ok he wasn't being condescending to me. And wolfy is a nickname people use for me from time to time :)

bluewolf wrote:
    It's ok he wasn't being condescending to me. And wolfy is a nickname people use for me from time to time
    Clownbag wrote:
    That's an absolutely amazing post wolfy. You complain about people snapping at you while writing a snappy post directed at the people who snapped at you originally.
    My mistake. Apologies to Clownbag. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I can't really add much more to this topic. My opinion on this matter is very similar to bluewolf's opinion. I'm not God. I am prone to grammar mistakes, and I like it when people point out my mistakes because I learn from this. The Spell Czech forum has helped me improve my grammar and has given me a few laughs in the process. Everyone is prone to mistakes, which is fine. It's the not wanting to do anything about it that gets to me.

Advertisement