Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets have a trial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

DeVore wrote:
    Could we run a mock trial of Univershill ?? (see my sig-link). I'm still considering taking them to court but I'm not sure how or for what, I'm not sure if the law has something I could sue them for.

DeV.

Unless the trial takes place in a totally private forum you might tip them off regards strategies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

To be fair they would have an army of lawyers... probably would know all the tricks in the book!

Red corner: 200 over-paid/underworked lawyers

Blue corner: 2/3 law students, police officiers, lawyers(?) and law-related people.

It'd be a bloodbath! :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

DeVore wrote:
    Could we run a mock trial of Univershill ?? (see my sig-link). I'm still considering taking them to court but I'm not sure how or for what, I'm not sure if the law has something I could sue them for.

DeV.
    I'll get going on that as soon as possible. It's the kind of irony I crave. I have a few ideas and will get together with those who are helping out, and we'll get the facts into the proper format.

Thanks to those who have applied for positions so far. There are still a fair few positions to be filled, so if you're interested in getting involved at all, just drop me a PM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Why make something up? That's fiction. Why not try Bubbles?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

We don't particularly want to end up fighting a legal battle ourselves. No, that's the kind of irony I despise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

I'm up for being counsel for either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

<snip>

Unlike criminal law, in civil law there is a civil tort of conspiracy, it's an an agreement to do something unlawful. For example Trade Unions were originally sued for conspiracy for agreeing to commit a tort (interference with employees contractual obligations). They were given immunity by the Trade Union act 1908 if they follow certain procedures (have a ballot etc).

According to R v. Parnell interestingly to engage in a civil conspiracy is also a crime, i.e. to conspire to commit a tort is a criminal offence, this has been much criticised and I can't think of it ever being applied in recent times.

So to conclude, there is a tort of conspiracy. There is also the inchoate criminal offences of conspiracy, incitement or attempts. There however is no tort of incitement.

Ah of course, I just saw conspiracy and thought of incitement... forgot that it's only criminal and not tort. Thanks for that info... didn't know conspiracy was a tort!

Parnell case was the land league and refusing to pay rent right? Surely nationalism/patriotism wouldn't allow the courts to carry any precedent from that case? :D

Whoa guys, don't be talking about the case! You don't want to get held in contempt of court now do you!* I'd prefer if the people who get selected to run as cousel get together their arguments off their own bat.

If people want to get involved, they can PM me. I won't consider applications that are made in this thread. When you PM me, make sure to include credentials for the positions of counsel. Cheers!

*This is a joke. However, insofar as people may be in contempt of court in the future, so they will be held. Just to be real like.

Jurors don't count as counsel right?

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you can't apply for juror, that's random selection.

Oh, and the other thing is that there may be no need for a jury if DeV's idea comes good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

padser wrote:
    Speaking of adverse possession id like to propose a case where G squatts on someones land from 1984 to 1997. Lets bring it the high court, and have the Court of appeal reverse the decision. Then let the house of lords affirm the decision. Lets appeal it to the ECHR who overturn the house of lords. Now lets appeal that the grand chamber.

For anyone whos wondering, i havnt just written a case note on PYE.......

hehehehehe i've done half and have to finish it 2moro! bring on the good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Best.Thread.Ever.

I bagsy being a heckler from the gallery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

This is such a fabulous idea!

Would be lovely to be randomly chosen as a juror

:rolleyes:

Maybe you could be the defendant Miss Fluff. Then we could chain you up and flog you in public. But only if you don't get convicted. (See Miss Fluff's signature.)

How hard are the spankings/floggings? Don't want to an R v. Brown now, do we? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Maybe you could be the defendant Miss Fluff. Then we could chain you up and flog you in public. But only if you don't get convicted. (See Miss Fluff's signature.)

Or only if I don't get excited lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Miss Fluff wrote:
    I like where this is going

Giggidy giggidy

Miss Fluff wrote:
    You can be my chamber assistant.

Edit: Oh good God, I'm spamming Legal Discussion. I'd better get my coat.

"The Tempting of America: The Political Seduction of the Law" by Bork... just like Playboy of the Western World... full of promises but turns out to be a damp squib. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hmm, great idea. Subscribed.

<edit>^^The trial. Not about spanking Miss Fluff :rolleyes:</edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Topic at hand people. This is legal discussions not cybersex.com (but I hear thats fun too ;) )

Topic at hand people. This is legal discussions not cybersex.com (but I hear thats fun too ;) )
    You're right, I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Was it your local Judge <uh-oh> that told you that?

:eek:

How soon before ^^ that is snipped?

*edit: woah, the words had just left my mouth! Someone's on the ball tonight! ;)

It would have been quicker except firefox froze. Blasted firefox. Anyway, any more of that and it'll be a one week ban for a certain disgruntled piece of simian fodder.

Let's try to get this back on topic, I don't want to have to sift through posts and start deleting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

(See Miss Fluff's signature.)

OK, now you have my full attention.............. :D

PS: Available for jury service should a PM drop through my letterbox....

TJ911...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm up for playing a small part.
    the only court room experience I have is three days as a juror at a murder trial. It was thrown out due to lack of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

will the subforum opened for the trial be open access?

Would like to get involved in any future moot cases, but would just like to watch for this one :)

• Advertisement

hada wrote:
    will the subforum opened for the trial be open access?

Would like to get involved in any future moot cases, but would just like to watch for this one :)
    If there is a sub-forum (DeV hasn't pronounced on it yet), it will be open to anyone who wants to watch. I think the default postition for it will be that it's private, so people will have to apply for access. It will all be made clear soon enough. DeV's back from holidays on Monday, and I'm finished my exams next Friday, so the ball will start rolling next week.

Advertisement