Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I love top gear even though i'm a girl with little knowledge of cars. Plus richard hammond ;)
    Jeremy clarkson is so funny though, i love his columns in the sunday times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

Only seen the last 20 minutes of tonights episode but it was class. Is there any chance that someone would be able to get a recording of the radio show that they done? It sounds like it was pure class!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

could you imagaine hearing that on radio. you wouldnt be able to turn off. they could do something similar with george hooks programme. it might make the traffic a bit easier then his gurgly voice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What this run of series of TG should be applauded for is the new format (studio audience, etc).

Anyone remember the disasterous couple of series post-Clarkson?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What this run of series of TG should be applauded for is the new format (studio audience, etc).

Anyone remember the disasterous couple of series post-Clarkson?

It was like toast without butter!!!!

I thought Steve Berry was good (the bike fella)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I thought Steve Berry was good (the bike fella)

Was he the guy who kept saying the word "Ducatti' in a strong Manchunian accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Dew-catt-eh!

The audience figures certainly dropped a fair bit when Clarkson quit. His replacement was James May, if I remember correctly - although he was crap and didn't last long. I think the final nail in (the original) Top Gear's coffin was when Quentin Willson left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Ray777 wrote:
    The audience figures certainly dropped a fair bit when Clarkson quit. His replacement was James May, if I remember correctly - although he was crap and didn't last long.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    NO NO NO NO NO speak not of what you do not know earthling.
    May originally arrived in 1999 as a temp from the magazine, with precious little airtime he was covering the smaller stories that wilson and needel were too busy to do,and was brought back after clarkson and sidekick hammond had ressurected the show, clarksons replacement was to move two existing presenters tiff neddel and quentin wilson into the central spotlight.
    ps James May is one of the best presenters Top Gear ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

What i really like about Top Gear is how slick and refined the camera work is. They really present cars very well, and show them off from really good angles. Also they are constantly trying different stuff, like in last nights programme, during the new Jaguar xk bit, they showed some very nice slo mo video of the the car spinning off from standstill on a stretch of gravel... and going across a bridge, looked very well done and polished
    Also they use a lot of vignetting on their outdoor shots, and do it very well..
    kudos to the production team and camera guys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Rivetting!!!.....tried to get my Corsa to spin on the gravel coming in the door in slo mo.... to see the rust at the best angle..and the smooth sleek lines ..and the throaty roar .of the OH YES YES YES!!!!!!!!

Sorry bout that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that radio show was just brilliant. loved the traffic reports lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I love Top Gear. I was abit sceptical about the relaunched format but they've made it really interesting. More lads mag than autotrader. Clarkson can be a dick but he generally takes the piss out of himself enough to be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Rivetting!!!.....tried to get my Corsa to spin on the gravel coming in the door in slo mo.... to see the rust at the best angle..and the smooth sleek lines ..and the throaty roar .of the OH YES YES YES!!!!!!!!

Sorry bout that...

corsa eh!! well we all have our crosses in life

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

I like Clarkson's analogy
    On the Jaguar XK looking like an Aston Martin "Thats like critising a bloke for looking too much like Brad Pitt"
    On the Nissan micra cabriolet " that looks like a scrotum"
    Reviewing the Aston Martin DB9 " its engine sounds like Tom Jones being mauled by an Alsatian"

its engine sounds like Tom Jones being mauled by an Alsatian

i can hear it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oh wow, the amphibious vehicles were cool. I loved Hammonds van :D The logic was cool...Make it look like a boat and it will act like a boat, floating on the water....the power of dreams :D

ah but i'd prefer jeremy's. it could work with some tweaking. it'd be cool driving down the road on one of them with the engine on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how brilliant was it when Clarksons boat overturned on the last corner and James May won something. very funny

Ah yes, the stately elegance of James May as he captained his vessel onto the slip, neatly bypassing the sunken bulk of the Clarkson clipper :D

The whole thing was great from start to finish :D I wish I was a top gear presenter:( , although Hammond has stolen my (short guy) niche ;)

small man syndrome!

• Advertisement

hee hee, usually accompanied by the unflappable belief and knowledge that being shorter means the blood reaches the brain quicker therefore allowing more intelligent decision making...so why did he think that making a camper van look like a boat was going to make his death trap float?

Tall man syndrome (aka TMS* or Clarkson syndrome), usually accompanied by the unflappable belief that every word he utters must be correct by virtue of the fact that he is taller (despite oxygen taking longer to reach poor starved brainy ting at top of der 'ead)...so why did he want two outboard engines on his "boat" and why did he think that he should take the final turn so quickly?:eek:

*I would hate to suffer from TMS, I laugh at poor TMS sufferers on airplanes and on trains and in small cars hee hee :D

i'm contempt with middle man syndrome!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

larksons "Boat" would have worked if there was some foam in the front, and he'd made the sides higher. I only saw the second half of the episode though :(

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

it was gret afor james to win, you have to love his laid back demanour, i was hoping clarkson wouldn't win, his attempts at these things are always Power based vulgar machines, but it was gas to see him finally breaking the toybota, and to see hamster trying to climb up the capsizing toybotas wheels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

I love it. But it don't think its a car programme; it's the adult version of little monsters.

Big kids playing with machines, big ARROGANT kids (JC) and little cocky kids playing with machines.
    Their opinions, put downs etc make the whole thing hillarious and I especially like when they do the many car things; the madder stuff

Like testing out new small cars by making two football teams of them and having a game of car football. That was class

Or having a tank chase JC about on a firing range

Roll on with the arrogance, the opinions, the impossible and impractical cars, smashing caravans (I especially love that), trying to wreck toyota landcruisers and having their mothers do test drives. Its all imaginative gift.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

That episode on Sunday was one of the funniest things ever on TV. I nearly choked I was laughing that much. The whole journey to the Resevoir was hilarious but watching them trying to float their boats was beyond hilarious. I'm laughing now just thinking about it :D

it was funny, but classing it one of the funniest things ever on TV, i think is a bit much.

lets not get ahead of ourselves here!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm looking forwards to the next game of car darts or pin the car on the caravan!

Mike.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

one of the funniest things, not thee funniest :)

• Advertisement

accepted :)

im looking forward to car snooker. its possible

Advertisement