Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Great Show. Although I do find myself hoping for the use of Live Ordinance when Clarkson does his "Car vs Centurion Tank" type stunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you have digital then there are plenty of options, mainly on Discovery Home and Leisure and M&M not to mention Channel 6 (ahem) TG is the Sunday Supplement of motoring progs glossy and slick and not to be taken too seriously. Looking forward to Sunday 8pm :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I do like TG its a very entertaining show. Not entirely fond of the current format though. It comes across as the Jeremy Clarkson show with two heavily scripted guys to fake bringing him down a peg or two. But we all know who's really in charge.

Would enjoy it more if I really believed the 3 presenters were equals. Especially Hammond since he is atleast as funny as Clarkson.

Still cant beat it for great entertainment. The Winter special had me in fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

sdonn_1 wrote:
    As for the epic races...bring em' on!

Would be nice if someone other than Clarkson won though.

4Xcut wrote:
    Would be nice if someone other than Clarkson won though.

Exactly. It would make a little less 'The Jeremy Clarkson Show'

• Advertisement

Did Clarkson win the budget supercar challange? As I recall he was crap at a basic service and his car died as the engine disintergrated.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There was that one where JC raced a rock climber too and failed. At least, I think it was a rock climber, or mountaineer or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

i am in the 1% of people who don't own a TV, there are very few programs that I would have any interest in watching except top gear, I was elated to see it was going to be online, to my amazement when i tried to watch top gear i got the message it is only available to england.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=top_gear

which doesn't make much sense to me,

anyways are there any other sites for top gear downloads as i need my car fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

have you tried video.google.com - i think they have some spisodes on there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a great show, but I'm not sure why I like it.
    I don't give a rats ass about cars. I know they have engines and horses that were genetically engineered to fit inside cars and live on petrol (or diesel)which need to be lubed up regularly but not much else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

real_484 wrote:
    i am in the 1% of people who don't own a TV, there are very few programs that I would have any interest in watching except top gear, I was elated to see it was going to be online, to my amazement when i tried to watch top gear i got the message it is only available to england.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=top_gear

which doesn't make much sense to me,

anyways are there any other sites for top gear downloads as i need my car fix?

Why were you suprised? The BBC have to pay for the bandwidth, therefore it's sensible that it's only available to people who pay towards the license fee, if it was available to all, I'm sure the nob heads would complain.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Also, LOL at last nights episode. The state of the convertable people carrier!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Lump wrote:
    Why were you suprised? The BBC have to pay for the bandwidth, therefore it's sensible that it's only available to people who pay towards the license fee, if it was available to all, I'm sure the nob heads would complain.

John

True. It's not online for 'free', it's online thanks to those who pay the English TV licence and therefor only available to them. I've heared they're planning to offer a subscription service for those of us outside the UK.

Not that we're complaining, ey? Sure don't we have our own fantastic public broadcaster to keep us happy and entertained!

What's that smell? Oh yea, it's lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

after being the Thread originator, defending top gears honour, promoting it and just generally confessing my undying love for the show...i missed it last nite :(

can you find it in your hearts to forgive me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

T&#225 wrote: »
    after being the Thread originator, defending top gears honour, promoting it and just generally confessing my undying love for the show...i missed it last nite :(

man it was so funny, one of the funniest shows on tv, that aside it is also very good. James May's review of the new civic was crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

T&#225 wrote: »

I only saw half of it, last series used to have repeats on Tuesdays, I'm hoping they'll do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

james reporting on new cars? dont like the sound of that. in fact, i dont really like james!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I only saw half of it, last series used to have repeats on Tuesdays, I'm hoping they'll do the same.

being repeated tonight at 7 on BBC2 in England
    but not BBC2 NI who are showing GAA and gardening

digital satellite FTW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

I saw Channel 5's 'fifth gear' effort there yesterday, with all the Top Gear rejects, and i have to say TG is a million miles more entertaining!!!

Among the funniest episodes i think was the one where they used air propulsion to shoot old cars at a caravan in the middle of a Bullseye in a quarry! Completely irrelevant but insanely funny! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Rrrrrright...shooting old cars at a caravan in a quarry...insanely funny!!!!!

Now i know why i don't watch it ...apart from that long faced ligger who presents it... thanks for reminding me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TBH, I don't think Top Gear and Fifth Gear can be really compared, as they're dissimilar to each other.

I think Fifth Gear is OK too, though admittedly, I prefer Top Gear.

I'm one of the few/many who like JC.

Bugger - just tried that Top Gear episode with a UK based Web proxy - it lets you get a little further before failing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

just after watching it on English BBC2 and lol at the car wash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Great to have a new series after making do with repeats earlier. I love the series - Jeremy Clarkson is very funny and good eye candy, it would not be the same without him.

CathyMoran wrote:
    good eye candy,

Now thats just mad. How exactly? Hammond has a certain cheeky charm. Even May has that eccentric money bags englishman look about him. But clarkson? In the name of god How/Why??

I said the girls were mad about him! ;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Now thats just mad. How exactly? Hammond has a certain cheeky charm. Even May has that eccentric money bags englishman look about him. But clarkson? In the name of god How/Why??
    Clarkson is intelligent, incredibly witty, a great writer, great voice and is tall. I used to hate Top Gear when I was younger but then I started to read some of his work. He had a book recently which had me crying laughing half the time - the show often does the same for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And he probably has plenty of money...which at the end of the day is what most women go for...Couldn't be anything else with that geek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i loved the car wash bit, lol

hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Great show with them screwing up the carwash with the people carrier and the anonymous celeb in the reasonably priced car section. I like Clarkson and Hammond don't care much for May his reviews are innane. One other episode that was good was the one with the Sierra flipping over to see if they can get into the Guinness Book of records for the most flips. Good stunts

Advertisement