Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear

Options
  • 03-05-2006 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

what does the majority of people think on it?

personally i think its a brialliantly produced programme. the camera work, scene's and ideas for programmes are brilliant. no car show imo has ever com close to the standard of production that top gear has set.

- Drive on RTÉ - what did they expect when they got an ex presenter of joe maxi to present it. Another RTÉ embarrasment imo.

- Sky One - had one a few years ago that inevitably didn't last.

- Vroom Vroom - going head to head with top gear, its only going to have one outcome. i doubt you'l ever see a ferrari enzo in full detail. more suited ot the michael carrick type imo (lotto winning chav)

as for the presenters, well imo j.clarkson, ya either love him or hate him. he reminds me of gerry ryan at times but he's not as annoying. i personally think j.clarkson is good at his job. he knows his stuff on cars and presents a good show. personally i cant watch him doing any of his other stuff, or read his columns, that aren't car related. thats when imo he's annoying.

new series starts this sunday, 8pm, BBC2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I also like the Top Gear production values - camera work / cinematography is top-notch.

None of the other car shows can match it. Although I think Clarkson likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much...but in a not-too-dislikeable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I love TG, watch it all the time - too right theres no better car show on atm

One improvement they could mke is to focus more on affordable cars, atm its 95% enzos:P:rolleyes:

As for the epic races...bring em' on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Unfortunately its too well produced. Honestly its the best program for miles but you cant trust a thing they say. Everything is pretty much staged and produced for dramatic effect..very enjoyable though.
    I prefer 5th gear's approach to the cars though, but thats all really. Rubbish show for the most part but with some real honest driving and racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Darth Ratz

Woo new series, I know nothing about cars, and care nothing about them either, but Top Gear is just a wonderfully entertaining show, I love the dynamic between Clarkson and Hammond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah Top Gear production values - camera work / cinematography is top-notch. second only to the d.attenborough wildlife programmes.

but now that ya mention it, its so staged and overly dramatic it nearly doesn't work. but it does!

yep new series sunday. just when the footy season ends. a reason for living ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Very enjoyable and easy to watch show. I love it, and I really couldn't care less about cars (can't even drive tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Another lover of Top Gear here.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

love top gear, think james may is a great foil to the boisterous Clarkson (whom i like, i have to admit), i think the crew is perfectly balanced, anytime clarkson gets to big for his boots may can quickly deflate him with an intelligent rebuttal, anytime may gets carried away hammond can bring him back to the real world and any time hammond gets mouthy clarkson threatens to step on him.
    essentialy it's a motorists wet dream, porches ferraris audis mercs bugattis , you won't see a focus or a golf unless it's a rally focus of golf gti, you won't ever see normal saloons, i think the mondeo is probably the most plain car i've ever seen, but the did do the cheap cabriolet test once, sure it's very macho but thats why we like it, and as mentioned before the photography and production values are second to none, sometimes i'm more blown away by the establishing scenery shots than the car, long live top gear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's a very good show, quite funny at times with some mad stunts usually involving caravan destruction.:D I know feck all about cars (don't drive) but find it very watchable. Love the banter between the presenters.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yep, can't wait until it returns!

Best thing about Sunday evenings! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Tbh, I preferred Top Gear when it was aimed towards car enthusiasts, rather than kids. It's dumbed down beyond belief since it moved to sunday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

Love it love it love it!
    As others have said, the camera work and effects are amazing, the locations and backdrops always stunning.
    Its great to see strong opinioated characters rather than bland presenters,whether you love or hate Clarkson you're probably going to keep watching.
    The best part for me are the original ideas the team come up with-5 a side football with cars anyone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Tis a top notch show.

Cinematography is simply stunning, as is the direction. The presenters are great, and work extrememly well off each other.

Sure it's all staged (They somhow set up cameras all across europe to follow a single car :rolleyes: ) but its bloody entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

yeh great show, they should bring in Vicki B-H from 5th Gear for some eye-candy though

ferrari's, bugatti's, beamers and high powered audi's are enough eye candy for me for one hour out of a week!

yeh great show, they should bring in Vicki B-H from 5th Gear for some eye-candy though
    get out, OUT! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Can't stand car programmes...
    Can't stand Clarkson....

Would rather spend the evening cutting my toenails with a chainsaw than watch one of those programmes.....

However.... thats only my opinion.... I understand many boys love these programmes:D :D;)

Can't stand car programmes...
    Can't stand Clarkson....

so really, you shouldn't watch it then and let your toe nails grow

Yep.... thats my plan for 2006.

One thing for sure you won't find The bantam in front of any tube showin..Pimp my Ride...Top gear.... Vroom Vroom..... Men & motors
    but.... If someone thinks they are great..... whatever turns your camshaft as they say......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

A new series, you say, great!

I love it, I'd never be able to afford any of the cars that they feature, but that doesnt matter as its highly entertaining. Clarkson, May and Hammond are great presenters, very passionate about their work.

My favourite from last season was when Clarkson drove the Borgetti from Turin to London and Richard and James attempted to fly the journey.

• Advertisement

you mean the Bugatti Veyron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO Clarkson is a twat.
    But I'll be watching it, of course ;)

Yep.... thats my plan for 2006.

One thing for sure you won't find The bantam in front of any tube showin..Pimp my Ride...Top gear.... Vroom Vroom..... Men & motors
    but.... If someone thinks they are great..... whatever turns your camshaft as they say......

3 of your four suggestions shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Top Gear.

Im told that there can be some racy little gadabouts on "Men & motors" but I never go past the 400's on Ntl;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

used to hate clarkson but he's grown on me.
    Absolutly fantastic show, its gone from a fairly mid card show imo, to the most entertaining thing the bbc have made in years and possibly my favourite show on tv. I cant think of anything that comes close. Counting the hours till sunday's episode :)

Don't mentrion tripe like men and motors in the Top Gear thread, we are talking about the highly reputable establishment of the BBC here.

Don't mentrion tripe like men and motors in the Top Gear thread, we are talking about the highly reputable establishment of the BBC here.

Right ..right.. now I only mentioned it in the context that I have seen it listed in the 500's on NTL and ,as I said, I never go past the 400's... when I see the horses racing on dust I stop...whatever channel that is...Its after Sky Sports Xtra anyway... so msorry 'bout that... thought it was a Motoring Channel .... or something like that... sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

How anyone can be entertained by Clarkson's utter gobshìtedness is beyond me.

Bring back Quentin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You clearly are a fool! ;)

john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

TopGear is great but these days it is pure entertainment. Nothing like the car nut programme it used to be.

Advertisement