Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grounded because I don't believe in God.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

Hermione* wrote:
    Yeah, when I wrote that I was trying to think of a better way of putting it and failed. :rolleyes: Didn't want to be getting into my family history. But Dad's first wife died. So my mum's his second wife. Actually some of my older siblings might be even more religious than my mum tbh.

Sorry Hermione, didn't mean to poke fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

No, I can see where you were coming from. Was trying to avoid the explanation but it just sounded weird without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

ferdi wrote:
    i dont think attending a religious ritual you dont believe in is an approriate sign of gratitude to show your parents for doing their job, but i take your point.

who decided that 16 is the right age? we all grow up at different speeds, its up to his parents to recognise that their child is self aware and no longer feels happy participating in this witch craft.

I totally agree with that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

deltablaze wrote:
    Lol, nice story. But did you just say you didn't wana go to church at 8? =|
    And to think I have to put up a fight! But yeah, all parents have their sections at nit picking, mine happens to be religion.

Yup - said I didn't believe in God & in that case, I shouldn't be going to church.....I'm very lucky tho - my folks actively encouraged us to question their decisions as they believed that debating these kinds of issues gave everyone a better understanding of why such decisions were made......

On the question of whether folks take their kids to mass or have them baptised....nope & nope.....if my kids wish to follow a religion, become vegan, have their ears pierced or whatever, they can do so when they are old enough to understand the implications.....I think religion is a faith or belief and as such it is personal - I can't tell my kids they "must" believe in something - it's a contridiction in terms .....my kids are enrolled at the Educate Together school & will learn about all faiths and they can come to their own conclusions.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭deltablaze

darkflower wrote:
    I totally agree with that..
    Offtopic: Welcome to boards, darkflower!

And guys, thanks for the replies. I'm gona take this advice and put it into use over the weekend (saturday evening so I can go out before they ground me yet again, lol ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

deltablaze wrote:
    Is it fair that I am grounded over this?

Not really, but then again, neither is life.

Just remember to remind them that you get to choose the quality of the nursing home they eventually end up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

deltablaze wrote:
    Offtopic: Welcome to boards, darkflower!

And guys, thanks for the replies. I'm gona take this advice and put it into use over the weekend (saturday evening so I can go out before they ground me yet again, lol ;) )

am i?.. tnxx tho deltablaze for welcoming me :D

Parents knows best and they want the best for you i guess.. nyaha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Stand your ground delta, your parents are acting like dipshíts.

Don't go again, what are they going to do, ground you again and again? Not let you out of the house until you believe in God?

My only advice about the situation would be to make sure that you approach it rationally. Always keep your cool, don't get angry or get into fights about it. One way to make anyone feel like an idiot is to remain perfectly calm and reasonable while they're angry (without being smug about it of course). Tell them why you stopped believing in God and that they should respect your individual beliefs and conclusions about life and make no attempt to live their lives through you.

So many people as they get older, will do anything to avoid confrontation, as far as pretending that they believe in a principle that they don't. Don't be one of them. It's always difficult to go against the grain and to stand up for yourself, but it has to be done.

if they're devout christians they're probably grounding you because they think that these thoughts have been caused by the people you hang around with, and grounding you keeps them away from them.

True, it's their roof and their rules, but they can't make you believe something that you don't believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

grasshopa wrote:
    So many people as they get older, will do anything to avoid confrontation, as far as pretending that they believe in a principle that they don't. Don't be one of them. It's always difficult to go against the grain and to stand up for yourself, but it has to be done.

I would've thought not believing in God would be seen as "cool"! Rebelling is "cool"!

But yeah, good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lieing to mother as repayment, thats wonderful. :rolleyes:

What like your parents lied about santa?
    Thats the most ridiculous statement I read all day, actually second most, quite condescending there Jimmy.

I seem to remember hating irish much more than mass and it had even less relevance. There is no doubt that mass and organized religion is on the decline but it will get to a point where there will be a revitalization just like the "dead" Irish language has.

I can see the benefit to learning Irish
    Is that so you can order a pint of the barman as gaelige?

• Advertisement

I would've thought not believing in God would be seen as "cool"! Rebelling is "cool"!

But yeah, good advice

You'd be suprised!
    I've had the priviledge of growing up without any religion, never been baptised, circumcised, subjected to religious pressure at home or any other funky stuff.
    One thing I've always noticed though is that as much as religion is on the decline a lot of people definitely think it is anything but cool to not believe in god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Conar wrote:
    You'd be suprised!
    I've had the priviledge of growing up without any religion, never been baptised, circumcised, subjected to religious pressure at home or any other funky stuff.
    One thing I've always noticed though is that as much as religion is on the decline a lot of people definitely think it is anything but cool to not believe in god.

I'd call it sensible.

I'd call it sensible.

Sorry, call what sensible?

Advertisement