Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

How do you post a pic on here if it doesn't have a url? tried copy and paste.. not happening..
    Sorry if this is a stupid question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

PM sent :)

for others curious to know - there's a 'go advanced' option below the reply box you type in.
    This brings you to another page and below where you'd type your reply, there are 'additional options' in which there is a button called 'manage attachments' - click this and it opens up a tab whereby you can put in a url or browse your computer to upload an attachment.

I adored this dog!! Haven't seen one like him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

If I get the photos thing working I'll put up the photos.

Still think of Ginger little Jack Russell we used to have when I was wee. All I have is a very fuzzy photo of him in the distance.
    Neighbour ran him over and was too much of a coward to come and tell us he got his old mother to tell us instead!!(him a grown married man!)

I also took in alot of stray cats in the last few years. Any time one came near the shop that I use to work in I simply couldn't not take them home.
    Nobody around these parts likes cat and they all told me to drown them:mad:

Had about 12 at one point!
    Unfortunately even with getting them injections and such alot developed cancer or else already had the cat flu before I took them home :(
    The vets felt soo sorry for me I was up nearly every week with a different cat trying to keep it alive. They hardly charged me for alot of the treatments!
    Esp little Patch. He was always a weak little kitten but he kept fighting until the end :(:(

Sooty,Lucky,5 newborn kittens(they were just heartbreaking to discover and have to bury),Skippy,Garfield RIP

I'll never forget any of them but esp not Freckles. Most amazing cat and the personality she had...there's never been a cat like her.

Very odd looking cat no idea what breed but she had definitely been a house cat at some point in her life. She use to wait at the door to be let out to the toilet then strut back in and onto the couch like she owned it. That was on the first day I took her home after her living rough for god knows how long!

She esp liked to sleep on my tummy and use to prod and poke me to make me more comfortable for her. Before curling up and going to sleep for hours.:)

She started loosing fur and these lumps were there. Vets couldn't figure it out but they knew it wasn't good. Then one day I wake up and she is gone. Everybody told me she probably went off to die :(

Anyway, I'll never forget them. Even though it was unbearable and I was in constant tears alot of the time trying to keep them alive. At least their last few months/years on this earth were happier ones with me.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If I get the photos thing working I'll put up the photos.

Still think of Ginger little Jack Russell we used to have when I was wee. All I have is a very fuzzy photo of him in the distance.
    Neighbour ran him over and was too much of a coward to come and tell us he got his old mother to tell us instead!!(him a grown married man!)

I also took in alot of stray cats in the last few years. Any time one came near the shop that I use to work in I simply couldn't not take them home.
    Nobody around these parts likes cat and they all told me to drown them:mad:

Had about 12 at one point!
    Unfortunately even with getting them injections and such alot developed cancer or else already had the cat flu before I took them home :(
    The vets felt soo sorry for me I was up nearly every week with a different cat trying to keep it alive. They hardly charged me for alot of the treatments!
    Esp little Patch. He was always a weak little kitten but he kept fighting until the end :(:(

Sooty,Lucky,5 newborn kittens(they were just heartbreaking to discover and have to bury),Skippy,Garfield RIP

I'll never forget any of them but esp not Freckles. Most amazing cat and the personality she had...there's never been a cat like her.

Very odd looking cat no idea what breed but she had definitely been a house cat at some point in her life. She use to wait at the door to be let out to the toilet then strut back in and onto the couch like she owned it. That was on the first day I took her home after her living rough for god knows how long!

She esp liked to sleep on my tummy and use to prod and poke me to make me more comfortable for her. Before curling up and going to sleep for hours.:)

She started loosing fur and these lumps were there. Vets couldn't figure it out but they knew it wasn't good. Then one day I wake up and she is gone. Everybody told me she probably went off to die :(

Anyway, I'll never forget them. Even though it was unbearable and I was in constant tears alot of the time trying to keep them alive. At least their last few months/years on this earth were happier ones with me.
    OMG I want to cry reading this. I am going through a similar situation now with kittens(not nearly as bad tho) and its killing me!!! :(why do we grow so attached to them so fast!
    I need to get off this thread...

• Advertisement

susanroth wrote: »
    OMG I want to cry reading this. I am going through a similar situation now with kittens(not nearly as bad tho) and its killing me!!! :(why do we grow so attached to them so fast!
    I need to get off this thread...

I was crying typing it. esp when I mentioned Patch.
    At times I couldn't even bring myself to go to vets as I knew they were going to tell me to put another one to sleep.
    I got to say goodbye to them all apart from Lucky. I had just come home from NZ and Mum broke the news to me that she had died few days before it. She was never sick! Was just sudden.

Thankfully the 2 remaining ones seem to be the toughest of the whole bunch. Haven't had to go near the vets for about 2 years(apart from getting them their yearly shots).
    I'm a little bit worried about Sniffles though(always wanted to call a cat Sniffles as I imagined a cuddly little thing-she turned out to be a little psycho:Dbut still cute!). So will get her checked out.

We have a new stray this last few months(had him on medication and seemed to be improving but...) unfortunately he definitely has cat flu or something. I'll be taking him to the vets now on Tuesday. My friends hate Podge as he's "diseased" looking that's how they describe him:mad:. He's missing an eye as well. I told them where to shove their comments.

I've no trouble taking in sick animals. They need love just as much if not more so than healthy ones!
    I don't want to get my hopes up but I'm hoping maybe a course of strong medication might work. But I will prepare myself in case they tell me they have to put him down.:(

If there is a link to a photo below it's to a photo of Freckles the odd looking amazingly cool cat I had!

If the photo actually comes out and it's gigantic then I'll delete it.
    (still trying to learn how to resize photos from my computer :o

Damn! It's really gigantic sorry! I'll practise resizing! :o

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If there is a link to a photo below it's to a photo of Freckles the odd looking amazingly cool cat I had!

If the photo actually comes out and it's gigantic then I'll delete it.
    (still trying to learn how to resize photos from my computer :o

Damn! It's really gigantic sorry! I'll practise resizing! :o

My god he's a great looking cat!:D his nose is so funny!! For some reason i'm thinking of the tinman from wizard of oz! So random...
    I have and am experiencing cat flu really I never would have thought its as bad as it is. Its made me really paranoid about the health of my kitten.:(

susanroth wrote: »
    My god he's a great looking cat!:D his nose is so funny!! For some reason i'm thinking of the tinman from wizard of oz! So random...
    I have and am experiencing cat flu really I never would have thought its as bad as it is. Its made me really paranoid about the health of my kitten.:(

Had a whole thing wrote out but it was kinda going off topic so I'll PM ya instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I never thought I would be posting one of my pets here so soon but she was at the vets all day yesterday and kept overnight. I did not expect good news this morning so when my phone rang at 10am I was not surprised to hear my baby died during the night. At least it was not a slow long drawn out affair like my first Dobie that died of lymph node cancer at 8 years old in 1996.

Somehow the torrential rain and cold down here right now seems appropriate. :(

I intend to get another Dobie as soon as I can. I know this is an opportunity to get any type of dog but I have a soft spot for dobies.

Was going to get her cremated and have her ashes scattered on their beach where she spent many happy days running, fishing, frightening sheep and little old ladies but €250 seems a bit steep so I have decided to bury her here beside Jacko - my old Dobie mentioned above.

Bonnie, June 2006 - December 2009 - a short but sweet life. RIP.

Pictured in late 2006 - Bonnie is on the bottom step.
    Camera057.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tony H

I never thought I would be posting one of my pets here so soon but she was at the vets all day yesterday and kept overnight. I did not expect good news this morning so when my phone rang at 10am I was not surprised to hear my baby died during the night. At least it was not a slow long drawn out affair like my first Dobie that died of lymph node cancer at 8 years old in 1996.

Somehow the torrential rain and cold down here right now seems appropriate. :(

I intend to get another Dobie as soon as I can. I know this is an opportunity to get any type of dog but I have a soft spot for dobies.

Was going to get her cremated and have her ashes scattered on their beach where she spent many happy days running, fishing, frightening sheep and little old ladies but €250 seems a bit steep so I have decided to bury her here beside Jacko - my old Dobie mentioned above.

Bonnie, June 2006 - December 2009 - a short but sweet life. RIP.

Pictured in late 2006 - Bonnie is on the bottom step.
    Camera057.jpg

Really sorry to hear of your loss Alfasudcrazy , RIP Bonnie

You will never forget the good times you had with Bonnie and the sadness and loss will fade eventually .

Alfa I'm so sorry that she has passed - but at least there is some comfort in the fact she went quickly/peacefully.
    I can only imagine how you and the rest of your family/dogs must feel at her loss. But you gave her a wonderful life and you loved her right to the end and beyond, and I'm sure she enjoyed every minute of it and loved you all right back.
    And she's buried next to your other dog so that's nice you can grieve for her there.
    *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

alfa was thinking about u all nite, i was hopeing we would have some good news this morning. At least she went quickly. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

ahh i'm so sorry to hear this,,damn i know how hard it is to loose your pet like this .. I hope you will be ok and that you'll be able to move on and get another beautie like bonnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

What beautiful dogs, I'm very sorry to hear that, take comfort in all your old photgraphs and funny stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Alfa I'm so very sorry for your loss, even though you were expecting it, it really doesn't make it any easier to bear.

Run free at the bridge Bonnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

So sorry, way too young to lose her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Thanks for all the good wishes here and in my main thread.:)

In the end I decided to go with cremation. The grave I was trying to dig just kept filling up with water and I knew I could not have put her into that.

So I will scatter her ashes on her favourite beach some fine long evening in the summer. She was in her element on such evenings trying to catch rabbits and seagulls - that latter she just about managed once but that one was half dead already.

I will get over it and get another dobie but Bonnie will always be special to me. ;)

Bonnie - as always leader of the pack.
    Camera086-1.jpg

Bless- least she'll be free to run there as often as she likes :)
    And when you take walks there I'm sure you'll have her with you.
    Of course there'll never be another Bonnie, but there can always be another member of the family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

:(:(:(:(

in a bawl here posting this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I am sorry for your loss, you just grow so attached to them :(

12 is a great age for a Cavalier, you must have looked after him well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tony H

Really sorry for your loss x in the city .

fitzdragon wrote: »
    Really sorry for your loss x in the city .

devestated, he was one in a million. felt at times like he was the only one in the world who loved me...!

worst thing was I was the last one to see him alive, If I knew he was going to pass away that night I would have for sure stayed up. It was after 3am when I left him to sleep.

Thanks for the messages, he was the best little dog I ever had. and the only one who has reduced me to tears.

* how can you get a Cav that will not get the MDV,? are breeders working to rid Cavs of this disease? or is it widespread across all gene pools of all Cavs?, seems unbelievable that 50% of Cavs have a heart murmur at just 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

* how can you get a Cav that will not get the MDV,? are breeders working to rid Cavs of this disease? or is it widespread across all gene pools of all Cavs?, seems unbelievable that 50% of Cavs have a heart murmur at just 5 years.

The biggest problem in Ireland is that most breeders are only out to make a fast buck and will breed any dogs no matter what defects they are carrying. I had a similar problem with a Cocker Spaniel a few years ago, she died when she was only three and I was heartbroken. I got a postmortem carried out on the dog and it confirmed that my dog had inherited her problem, it left me with a very bad feeling towards so called reputable breeders here when I went back to them with the results they didn't want to know. The whole dog breeding business needs to be regulated in Ireland to weed out the cowboys, the only problem, like most things in Ireland, is the biggest cowboys are running the show so it's unlikely anything will ever change there either. My advice is to research your breeder well and don't just look to Ireland to source your dog, I brought one of my dogs from France and the other one from the UK.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, like someone else on here said, the worst thing about dogs is that they have such short lives and in lots of cases they prove themselves many times to be your best friend.

junkyard wrote: »
    The biggest problem in Ireland is that most breeders are only out to make a fast buck and will breed any dogs no matter what defects they are carrying. I had a similar problem with a Cocker Spaniel a few years ago, she died when she was only three and I was heartbroken. I got a postmortem carried out on the dog and it confirmed that my dog had inherited her problem, it left me with a very bad feeling towards so called reputable breeders here when I went back to them with the results they didn't want to know. The whole dog breeding business needs to be regulated in Ireland to weed out the cowboys, the only problem, like most things in Ireland, is the biggest cowboys are running the show so it's unlikely anything will ever change there either. My advice is to research your breeder well and don't just look to Ireland to source your dog, I brought one of my dogs from France and the other one from the UK.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, like someone else on here said, the worst thing about dogs is that they have such short lives and in lots of cases they prove themselves many times to be your best friend.

you are right, our little Max was almost human like at times. He was part of the family.

12 years is quite good for him, we live in the country and there is a dangerous main road which is instant death for a lot of pets.

when Max was little he ran across the road to woof at a cow (as they do), my brother was shocked, so he ran across and picked him up and gave him a telling to...

and a spank...!

since then he never ventured across the road again and was confined to our house (which offers acres of roaming...) and the near by woods.

he always waited for my mom to return from trips or waited for me to return home whenever I went out, he was the ace of all spades.

It will be sometime before I get over his loss, my brothers are also very dissapointed but life goes on.

I would love a black and tan king charles but weary of the MVD nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Hey,

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this but I really couldn't be bothered searching at the moment.

My puppy just died and I need to bring her to a vet to see what killed her as I have a pregnant wife and another dog and need to know if it's something environmental - this is sorted.

What I need to know is what is the story with burying your pet yourself. If we go to the vet will they keep her? Is it legal?

She was only 9 months old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

i'm so sorry for you lose. :(
    dont think it's legal to bury your puppy but i know that many people doing it in the backgardens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What I need to know is what is the story with burying your pet yourself. If we go to the vet will they keep her? Is it legal?

She was only 9 months old :(
    Aw so sorry to hear that-its really really tough losing a pet.

If you want to find out what killed your puppy you may require a post mortem on him which could take up to a week. I wouldnt really recommend getting him back after this unless you go for pet cremation. Its also illegal to bury animals in your back garden, but as previous poster said many people do it.

Max is buried in our back garden and no where else was he going to go tbh.

12 years he graced our land and its his now.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bonny my dog of 14 yrs was put to sleep this morning after a long battle with lymphoma (2 1/2 yrs). Words cant express how much im goin to miss my little bud.Just gutted!:(

Advertisement