Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

star-pants wrote: »
    Don't watch or read if you're already very sad, cuz this made me cry.
    But I felt it fitting of the thread, and very sweet. I know it's a dog poem but it really can relate to most pets.

I'll put up the you tube of Jimmy Stewart because it's nicer to listen to but I'll put the words below it incase anyone would like them.

Amazing ....

I was sent this story aswell by my father (Timmy's master :) ) ...

http://www.stanleycoren.com/e_lovedogs.htm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I don't have a picture of him to hand but my Pomeranian Charlie (Kennel name Carric Mastea Boy :o).. I got him when I was 5 and we had to let him go about 8 years ago.. RIP boy :( xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    So yesterday morning I had to do the hardest thing I've ever had to do... stand in the vets room with my doggie in my arms and watch the vet send him off to sleep. It absolutely broke my heart. He was a King Charles and I got him for my 12th birthday and I turn 25 in March and what a legend of a dog he was. I begged for 2 years solid to get him and I'll never forget answering my front door on my birthday and my mam's friend coming in with a little basket and telling me to look inside. Sitting on a big cushion was this tiny little brown and white mousey thing looking up at me and squirming around like mad. I was instantly in love with him.

So I had him then as a teenager, then when I left for college and when I came home most weekends he was always there and he would go mental when I'd walk in. I can honesly say that he was the most gentle and caring dog ever to grace the planet, even when my mam found an abandoned kitten in our yard Gismo used to look after it and play with it. My brother used say he had a touch of the 'doggie downs' cos he had no idea how to act like a proper dog :D He even let that cat hang around and steal his food all the time.

So he's gone now and I'm still very upset today, but I know he had an amazing 13 years was spoilt rotten every single day! I just wanted to thank him for being such an amazing animal and a great friend. As with everyone, I've had some rough times and he was always there to make me feel better. It was impossible to be in a bad mood around him, he just didnt allow it. If ever he saw me cry he would launch a licking attack on my face until I was laughing again. I'm going to miss him so so much and he will never be replaced.

I know some people think such sentimental attachment to a dog is insane. That's fine, whatever. But if anyone else here wants to add a thank you or a story about their favourite little loved one then do.....it can be a way to honour such loving and caring gems, and a way to thank god of whoever for giving us the chance to know them...

:)

I read your story and it made me feel like crying. My dog died in December on my 18th birthday it was horrible he got strangled in his own lead out the back garden when I was at school, mam did everything she could to try and save him. He was also a king charles and he had the nicest temperment a dog could have, like your dog we also found a stray kitten and darcy used to play and look after her and let her eat his food. I miss him so much and it was the worst birthday I ever had, we are still getting over the shock of it. To make things worse, my cat (who was the stray kitten) was knocked down last week. She missed him so much when darcy went she didnt know what to do with herself and now she's gone too. It's all very upsetting, sorry for rambling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Pushka
    Died 27 February 2010

PushkaG.jpg

He'll be forever in our hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Preusse, sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement

Thank you, Amalgam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I put a thread up here about our cat Dolly, thought I would add a picture of her too... she was PTS after a long illness...

Good thread.

So sorry about Dolly, Noffles. She looks lovely in that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Noffles wrote: »
    I put a thread up here about our cat Dolly, thought I would add a picture of her too... she was PTS after a long illness...

Good thread.

Her eyes are gorgeous! Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I've only discovered this thread now. It's very sad reading about all the animals that have passed away, but it's obvious that they lead happy lives and had a lot of people care for them.

I've lost a good few pets over the years, but the one that means the most to me was my cat Jamie who passed away 3 years ago.

Himself, his brother and his sister (who have also passed away) were feral cats that kept visiting our garden. We'd leave food out for them and boxes with blankets in our shed for them to sleep in. Long story short, we eventually invited them into our home where they spent a good few years with our 2 domestic cats. They became so tame, it was like they'd never been feral at all.

When we first took them in, Jamie was rake thin, but through his time living with us, he made up for that! He eventually had to be put on a diet which he hated!
    Every morning I'd wake up to him meowing outside my bedroom door. I'd let him in and he'd jump up on my bed where he'd expect to be rubbed and adored for a while!

He passed away when he was about 11. His organs started to fail and the vets told us it was because he had a bad start in life.
    I miss him every day, I miss hearing his loud meow and having purry sessions with him on my bed every morning.
    His brother and sister are gone, but my 2 other cats are still alive and I hope they'll live a few more years.

But I will secretly always love Jamie the most :)

this is my favourite picture I took of him soaking up the sunlight:

2550_1121269751255_1212399433_729730_4573886_n.jpg

(his nickname was Fatman :D)

workitbaby.jpg?t=1267502633

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

When I was 15 I wanted a Siamese cat more than anything in the world. (Sheltered 15 year old I know)
    I thought they were so cool, its all I wanted.
    So I overheard my mother discussing a kitten but she pulled me aside and said one of her friends had a tabby cat who was pregnant and she'd agreed to take a kitten when they were born and that the kitten would only be "ordinary" and a moggie.
    I didn't care.
    We were getting a kitten.
    Suddenly breed and colouring didn't matter
    On the first of October 1999 the litter arrived and I was counting the days til he was old enough to leave his mother.
    When he came to us, he was the most beautiful grey tabby in the world.
    To me he was perfect and unique. We named him Ash.
    We were worried my father wouldn't take to him (our last cat was a bit of mess :() but when my father came home later and saw him he felt sorry for him on his own and insisted we adopt one of his siblings also!!
    So the next morning myself and my mother drove back out and she told me to choose another kitten.
    I couldn't.
    There were three, a black one (which was to be kept by the owner) and two identical grey girls.
    They were both so adorable. Then one began playing with the black kitten and the other looked lonely. So the decison was made and I scooped up the tiny kitten and brought her to be reunited with her brother. She clung to me in the car.
    We named her Abby, Abby the Olympic Tabby.
    For 10 years Abby and Ash entertained us with their zany antics. We all grew up and moved away one by one but the cats would always run to us whenever we came home. We'd often remark on what resiliant pets they were, they were never ill, only had the odd mishap and never went missing for more than a day. Considering my parents live in the middle of nowhere that's very good going! They were friendly, loving and bursting with personality.

Before Christmas, Abby fell ill.
    Her mouth was infected. She needed some teeth out but the vet mistook her for another cat and tried to neuter her. She survived this ordeal but as my mother brought her to another vet it was suggested she had FIV.
    She had injections, tablets, all sorts.
    She'd howl for food and then not be able to eat it.
    She'd get better, then deteriorate again.
    My mother was thinking maybe she needed to be PTS but my brother was against it, holding out hope that our beautiful Abby would pull through again.
    She lost weight, all she could do was drink cat milk.
    Then one sunday she went quiet.
    No more howling for food.
    Her brother, Ash and the other cat, Tiger, refused to eat in a weird moment of sympathy.
    Abby went away that night and never returned.
    My parents looked everywhere because there was only ever two or three places the cats go.
    But she never came back. She went away to die.
    Ash and Tiger ate again that day.
    So after 10 years, our much loved Abby lost her fight.
    We took solace in the fact she'd had such a great life. We couldn't ask for a better life for our cat (apart from the last three months of it!)
    So RIP Abby-tat. Survived by Ash.

And then just to add to this. My chipmunk died a week later, of old age. He was 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

dsc00004ee.th.jpg

Sally-put to sleep just three days short of her 13th birthday (5th March). Poxy liver cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I seem to forget one of our other cats died also... Dolly took so long she seemed to drown everything else out... Anyway Hannibal was a great lad, always out and always wanting to stay there until it got cold... Was whacked by a car in the quiet lane behind the house and killed instantly... shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

I thought Id pay this tribute to Rasher on behalf of my girlfriend.

Rasher was a rescue cat we adopted from animal welfare in Limerick. She was our first pet together (we now have two other rescue cats...Sausage, who we got shortly after Rasher, and Milly who we got after poor Rasher died...and a beautiful german shepherd puppy called Ruby) .
    My partner fell in love with her straight away....poor rasher had cat flu when she was a kitten and as a result ended up with a dodgy eye....but it didnt stop her being full of the joys of life.
    Ive always claimed not to be a "cat person", but you couldnt help being entertained by Rasher.
    When we moved from an apartment to our own house with a big garden, Rasher came into her own. She loved the freedom and was always off on adventures. She was an unbelievably friendly cat who loved being the centre of attention and she loved nothing more than snuggling up with my girlfriend in the evenings.
    Sadly, Rasher was hit by a car just outside our home one evening just before xmas. Ive never seen my girlfriend so upset, and I hope I never have to again. She loved Rasher to bits and I know she still misses here...so do I to be honest.
    So here are a few pics of Rasher as a little tribute

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

kopfan77 wrote: »
    I thought Id pay this tribute to Rasher on behalf of my girlfriend.

Rasher was a rescue cat we adopted from animal welfare in Limerick. She was our first pet together (we now have two other rescue cats...Sausage, who we got shortly after Rasher, and Milly who we got after poor Rasher died...and a beautiful german shepherd puppy called Ruby) .
    My partner fell in love with her straight away....poor rasher had cat flu when she was a kitten and as a result ended up with a dodgy eye....but it didnt stop her being full of the joys of life.
    Ive always claimed not to be a "cat person", but you couldnt help being entertained by Rasher.
    When we moved from an apartment to our own house with a big garden, Rasher came into her own. She loved the freedom and was always off on adventures. She was an unbelievably friendly cat who loved being the centre of attention and she loved nothing more than snuggling up with my girlfriend in the evenings.
    Sadly, Rasher was hit by a car just outside our home one evening just before xmas. Ive never seen my girlfriend so upset, and I hope I never have to again. She loved Rasher to bits and I know she still misses here...so do I to be honest.
    So here are a few pics of Rasher as a little tribute

Just a couple of more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Thanks for sharing all those lovely pictures. Rasher looked like she had a very, very happy life with you both, even if it was cut tragically short. And it is tragic, I know.

But fair play to you both for adopting and caring for so many rescued animals. Rasher will be smiling down on you both. They never leave our hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Prince passed away last weekend. He became ill very suddenly and he had to stay at the vets where he was diagnosed with Addisons disease. Unfortunately he didnt respond to treatment and he passed away. I am just so sorry that he wasnt at home with us and with his constant companion Belle when it happened.
    He was 7 years old but we got him in Dec 2008 as a foster dog from the Irish Cavalier Rescue. He was supposed to be with us just for 2 weeks but we fell in love and he became a permanent fixture.
    We are heartbroken and devastated at the loss of our beautiful boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Found a photo of our old cat, good old Marmy

0026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Molly22

Our dog Ali died yesterday morning. We had her for 14 years. She was born on January 28th 1996. Her Mother had strayed into us. It was funny because we actually had a puppy "booked" from a friend of ours. It was a full bred Bassett Hound and we were jst about to pay for it. We were going to call him Ali. A few days after we had decided to get the puppy, we noticed a small dog asleep outside on our bags of coal. It was a really cold winter and she was pregnant. Somebody had just dropped her off.
    So we decided to cancel the puppy and take this dog in instead. We bought her a kennel and put it in the kitchen and she had 5 puppies. Ali was the only one that survived. Elsa (her mammy) and Ali were the best of friends. We once lost Ali on the galty mountains, and found her with an english family. they told us she had gone to the top of the mountain with them and had eaten all their sandwiches. they had called her "patty"!!
    When I went away to college I really missed her. Every weekend when I came home, she stayed in my bed. She followed me everywhere.She loved every member of our family.
    She died yesterday morning, warm in her bed in our sitting room. We loved her every day we had her and we will all miss her so very much. We buried her in her favourite spot in the woods near her Mother. (Elsa died in 1999)
    Id like to believe theyre together now. RIP ali xxxxx
    Ali.jpgt P.S.not taking that Bassett hound was the best decision we ever made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Ive worked with animals and their owners in the past and have seen how difficult it is to let go. I found this years ago on the net. Im not sure if it has been posted already but Ive always found it to bring a little bit of comfort to those who have to make that horrible decision.

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow weak,
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this last battle cannot be won.
    You will be sad, I understand,
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
    For this day more than all the rest,
    Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
    What is to come can hold no fears,
    You'd not want me to suffer so,
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my need they'll tend,
    And please stay with me until the end,
    I know in time that you will see,
    The kindness that you did for me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.
    Please do not grieve, it must be you
    Who had this painful thing to do,
    We've been so close, we two, these years,
    Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
    Author unknown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Had to put my dog Bounce to sleep last week as she had just developed liver tumors. She was 12 and I'd gotten her as a puppy for my 11th birthday. I'm still in shock as it was so sudden. She had been off her food and miserable for a day or two so I took her to the vet who said it was probably just an infection but when they called the next day with the blood test results to say she was going into liver failure and that there was nothing they could do I was stunned. She had been totally fine, not even showing any signs of aging.

I'm finding it really hard to accept, I was all prepared for her to start getting old and all that but to be told she's dying and to have to put her to sleep and bury her all in one day is hard to deal with.

I miss her so much, she was my best friend.

RIP Bounce

Cocolola wrote: »

RIP Bounce

She looks so happy in that photo. I'm sure she was glad of the love you gave her.

Profiler wrote: »
    She looks so happy in that photo. I'm sure she was glad of the love you gave her.

Aw thanks that's really nice to say. She was a happy dog alright. In a way, I am glad she didn't have to get old and weak and sick. It's nice that she was so healthy and normal right up until her last days.

Anyway thanks for the nice comment again, it made me feel a bit better about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Ive worked with animals and their owners in the past and have seen how difficult it is to let go. I found this years ago on the net. Im not sure if it has been posted already but Ive always found it to bring a little bit of comfort to those who have to make that horrible decision.

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow weak,
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this last battle cannot be won.
    You will be sad, I understand,
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
    For this day more than all the rest,
    Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
    What is to come can hold no fears,
    You'd not want me to suffer so,
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my need they'll tend,
    And please stay with me until the end,
    I know in time that you will see,
    The kindness that you did for me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.
    Please do not grieve, it must be you
    Who had this painful thing to do,
    We've been so close, we two, these years,
    Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
    Author unknown

Thanks for this, lovely poem and sums up my story perfectly, I posted here in January about my labrador Marley, think about him everyday and after watching Bolt last night absolutely broke into tears :(
    Cocolola wrote: »
    Had to put my dog Bounce to sleep last week as she had just developed liver tumors. She was 12 and I'd gotten her as a puppy for my 11th birthday. I'm still in shock as it was so sudden. She had been off her food and miserable for a day or two so I took her to the vet who said it was probably just an infection but when they called the next day with the blood test results to say she was going into liver failure and that there was nothing they could do I was stunned. She had been totally fine, not even showing any signs of aging.

I'm finding it really hard to accept, I was all prepared for her to start getting old and all that but to be told she's dying and to have to put her to sleep and bury her all in one day is hard to deal with.

RIP Bounce

I know how you feel, not really sure what I can say to help you, but just be glad that you were with her through it all and she didn't die alone.. Whenever I think about my last moments with my dog I start crying (3 months on) just the helplessness I felt because I couldn't make him feel better. But I know he loved me and had a great life and I'm so happy and proud he was my dog for 10 years.

Hope this thread helps you, it has helped me very much :)

I know how you feel, not really sure what I can say to help you, but just be glad that you were with her through it all and she didn't die alone.. Whenever I think about my last moments with my dog I start crying (3 months on) just the helplessness I felt because I couldn't make him feel better. But I know he loved me and had a great life and I'm so happy and proud he was my dog for 10 years.

Hope this thread helps you, it has helped me very much :)

Yes reading this thread really has helped. It makes me happy to read about all the animals that were so loved and cared for.

I'm so sorry about your dog too, it really is hard. But I'm glad you had a great 10 years with him and I'm sure he was thrilled to be your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

We had to have our rat Pooks put to sleep yesterday. He had a stroke recently and had been getting progressively worse for the past few weeks. It had gotten to the point where he couldn't eat or clean himself any more, and was just a little bundle of skin and bones despite us feeding him regularly with a syringe. It just wasn't fair on him to keep going on like this...

Never thought that I'd feel this strongly about a rat, but this special little chap really did steal our hearts:)

RIP Pooks, you'll be missed so much

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

We lost our buddy, Alistair at lunchtime today. He was 14 years and 2 months old and he was a Dalmation with attitude.
    My partner got him as a pup and I have had the privilege of spending 7 happy years with him. We bonded from the day we met and believe me when I say he did not accept people readily. He was my frenzied friend. Ali never did anything in a calm way, he was passionate and obsessive. He was very protective of us and very territorial.
    He hated going out in the rain, his ears would go back, his tail would go between his legs, his eyes would turn to slits and he’d pull you so fast back home that you’d be running before you knew it. He was as strong as an ox.
    He used to sing along to the theme tune of Coronation Street and Property Ladder. He loved the morning treat of getting crusts from the toast. He loved to go through our legs and rub his head against our knees in a very determined way. And most of all he loved the sound of his own voice!
    Unfortunately, due to his breed he suffered terribly from bladder stones and urinary tract infections which we were constantly battling. He got a colon infection last week and this time the antibiotics didn’t work. His system couldn’t fight it and he took a turn for the worst last night. He was braver than brave at the end. We buried him this afternoon under the cherry blossom on the bank behind our house.
    He was a huge character, larger than life and anyone who ever met him couldn’t possibly forget him.
    The house seems so empty and quiet without him and we are all very sad tonight. He is survived by his buddies, Julian the lurcher and Neil the cat.

4585489578_422a932787_m.jpg

Nice words Binka, the cliche is a picture says a thousand words, but what you took the time to post tells us so much about Alistair.

It can't have been easy given how fresh your loss has been but it's nice to know a little about Alistair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

Our springer spaniel got knocked down and was killed instantly yesterday. The whole family is devestated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

The houch was a pound dog when the family decided they wanted a dog and he was due to be put down the next day. I told them them I didn't want a dog having sad memories of my childhood dog when she died still smarts. I was out-numbered and Rex became part of the family; especially with me as I grew attached. Unfortunately Rex had a dark side and though I was always vigilant with him on walks he nipped several people who came too close when they attempted to pet him. It broke my heart last week to bring him for his last walk before taking a detour to the vet after cosidering all alternatives including muzzling and castration - but the vet concured that he was too old to change. I couldn't hold back the tears in the clinic as I said my last farewell to a steadfast friend after five good years. Sometimes when I arrive home from work , for a fleeting moment, I find myself just about to call out "Rex, where's the ball!" The kids have long lost the thrill of my daily homecoming and I'm not sure about the wife sometimes. At night when I open the bedroom door I step tentitively onto the landing incase he's sitting at the door. When he wanted to gain entry he would give a faint tap with his toenail. It's almost two weeks now and I miss his company and the security he provided.

Advertisement