Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

A few days notice, but Senna is on Sky Atlantic (+HD) on Thursday at 9pm.

Fantastic piece of film, well worth a watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Col200sx wrote: »

I concur. Excellent documentary.

Col200sx wrote: »

Just a bump for those who haven't seen it, starts in an hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Oh man, I'm kicking myself that I'm stuck in school right now. Is it on the regular Sky Atlantic?

Oh man, I'm kicking myself that I'm stuck in school right now. Is it on the regular Sky Atlantic?

Yep, and also in HD too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Great double-bill on BBC2 tonight: Bright Star at 9.20pm followed by Synecdoche, New York at 11.40pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Klute is about to start on RTE Two.

One of those great, paranoid 1970s thrillers that Hollywood used to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Whole pile of goodies on Sunday

Failure To Launch is on CH4 at 13.25

ET IS ON!!!!!!:) ITV2 at 16.40

You don't need a vid for ET!!!mad.gif

Ok, here it is:p

Avatar is on CH4 at the stupid time of 17.50

Life Or Something Like It is on Film 4 at 19.00

Best bit:)

Just Like Heaven is on RTE2 at 21.30

The Illusionist is on CH4 at 23.30 (Tape this if you haven't seen it, never mind that it's set in an age of waistcoats and horsecarriges, it's brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Illusionist is very good - though I only saw it on a tiny screen on a long flight. It was overshadowed somewhat by The Prestige, which came out around the same time, and since both are about vintage stage magic, I even confused the two films for a while. Edward Norton does his own magic in this film, after training.

Also: if you get ITV2, Waterworld is on at 22:00. A film everyone should see, if only to say you've seen it. Nowhere near as bad as the box office let people believe: it cost a lot to make, but it's all up there on screen.

Plus: Full Metal Jacket on ITV4, 23:30. A must-see film.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Klute is about to start on RTE Two.

One of those great, paranoid 1970s thrillers that Hollywood used to make.

Yes, the 1970s...the definitive decade of classic cinema...

:cool:

The poor little devils NOW...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Dogtooth is starting on film4 at 11.15, t'is a rather strange yet brilliant film. Everyone should watch it. :D

SWEENY TODD just starting on Rte1.

Little surprise Johnny Depp escaped to France.

;)

Just watching Jean Reno and DeNiro escaping from Niece
    in their BMWs ...

John Frankenheimer maybe dead but more's the pity he didn't
    get a chance at The Bond Films.

:(

"Take the tunnel now...!!!"

Frankenheimer takes Paris apart.

I loved THE IRA angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

Two of my favourites are on today Tuesday.

"Father Goose" (1964) is on Channel 4 at lunchtime - 12.50 to 15.05

"High Plains Drifter" (1973) is on 5USA later - 21.00 to 23.05

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not really a movie but there's a Werner herzog documentary on Channel 4 now called death row, will start again at 2 on +1.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Crazy Heart is on RTE 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Crazy Heart is on RTE 1 now

Watch out for Colin Farrell singing country & western songs. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Looking ahead to the long weekend, I can pick out a few highlights on the free-to-air channels:
    • Fri C4 12:45PM (lunchtime): The Searchers. John Wayne in one of his greatest roles, as an anti-hero with a chequered past who obsessively searches for a girl abducted by Comanche. It's not a simple Cowboys vs Indians Western, by a long way, the film raises major questions about the whole genre and the actions of Americans at the time. It's not clear what motivates Wayne's character to go as far as he does: love, hate, loneliness, racism? The American Film Institute calls this the best Western ever made. If you want more John Wayne after that, Rio Bravo is on TG4 at 9PM.
    • Fri BBC2 11:15PM: Minority Report. Great science fiction film with Tom Cruise as a cop who's supposed to stop crimes before they happen, using the premonitions of psychics ("pre-cogs").
    • Sat RTE1 1:40AM: Peggy Sue Got Married. A time travel story that has mom Kathleen Turner going back to high school in the 50s doesn't sound like much, but she's perfect in the role, and the whole film is very well made, directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Also starring Nicolas Cage, Jim Carrey, Helen Hunt and Joan Allen.
    • Sat BBC2 2:00PM: Bringing Up Baby. Possibly the greatest of all the Screwball Comedies - at least I think so - starring Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and a leopard named Baby, Hepburn is a flighty heiress with a twisted sense of logic, while Grant may be the prototype for Ross in Friends. Howard Hawks. Contains possibly the first big-screen use of the word "gay" in its, um, modern sense, ad-libbed by Cary Grant in a negligée. ;)
    • Sat RTE1 2:30 PM: An American In Paris. One of those big-budget MGM Musicals that were hugely popular in the 1950s, starring Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron, directed by Vincente Minnelli.
    • Sat RTE2 9:30PM: The Hunt for Red October. The first and possibly the best Tom Clancy adaptation, with Sean Connery and his accent as a rogue Russian nuclear submarine captain, and Alec Baldwin as the normally desk-bound CIA operative who has to figure out what the captain is doing before WW3 breaks out.
    • Sat CH4 10:45PM: Showgirls. If you haven't seen it ... see it, then you can tell people you've seen it. It has a "quality" that has to be seen to be believed.
    And that's just the first half of the long weekend.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

The terrific under siege gets an airing this saturday on tv3 at 10.15.

Vintage steven segal at his best.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Anyone in mood for a slasher?
    Prom Night (1980) is on the Horror Channel 23:35 Tonight!

just spotted that the excellent the postman always rings twice (1981) gets another airing on one of the rte channels late over the bank holiday.

in a time when the irish censor was cutting the likes of dressed to kill,
    american gigillo and body heat this one came out curiously unscathed.

well worth a watch if not for jack at his finest but when ms lange was a doll.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen_Broncos#section_5

For fans of Flight of the Conchords and Napoleon Dynamite, on Film 4 at 9 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Way of the Gun with Ryan Phillippe, Benicio Del Toro and Juliette Lewis is on TV3 at 11.15 tonight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Way of the Gun with Ryan Phillippe, Benicio Del Toro and Juliette Lewis is on TV3 at 11.15 tonight
    I like Ryan Phillippe but Del Toro is a t*ol.

Jackass 2.5 is on CH4 at 01.45

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Muriel's Wedding on Film 4+1 now

Looking ahead to Friday night, some interesting films on then:
    - Charlie Wilson's War (UTV 22:35): Tom Hanks as a US Congressman who gets up to some bizarre covert activities in Cold War Afghanistan. With Julia Roberts & Philip Seymour Hoffman
    - The Conversation (Film4 23:50): Possibly Gene Hackman's finest screen performance (which is saying a lot) as a surveillance expert losing his grip on reality. Francis Ford Coppola's 1974 pet project, the price he extracted for agreeing to do The Godfather Part II.
    - Hana-bi (TG4 23:40). If you're going to see one film on TV this month, this would be my pick. Possibly Takeshi Kitano's most personal film, which he wrote, directed, starred in, and created original artwork for. In the film, the paintings are made by a recovering cop who landed in a wheelchair after an arrest went wrong, because his colleague Nishi (Kitano) was away visiting his terminally-ill wife in hospital. The film follows both cops trying to deal with their changed circumstances - Nishi leaving his job and borrowing money from the Yakuza. Which all sounds very gloomy, but somehow it's not. It's a Kitano film, so expect some surreal humour and bursts of the old ultraviolence, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Red Cliff is on Film 4 tonight at 9pm,some amazing battle scenes in this John Woo directed epic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Warriors is on sky movies tonight

Advertisement