Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

The Departed

Tonight on film 4. If you havent seen it watch it, if you have - watch it again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

galaxy quest is on bbc1 now. proper funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

TV3, 22:45: Idiocracy (2006). Dir. Mike Judge (Beavis & Butthead, Office Space). Not only is it incredibly funny
    Electrolytes!
    , I think it's one of the most important films of the last decade. If this is the future ... ow. :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou tonight at 11:40 on BBC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

See John Boorman at his most expansive with Excaliber on ITV3 tonight or enjoy rape by spirit in The Entity on Film Four (this is following cannibals in the Hills Have Eyes remake)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Hard Boiled is on at 1am tonight/tomorrow morning on CBS Action (sky 148).

• Registered Users Posts: 85,894 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In and Out 11pm tonight TV3

Fargo is on TCM tonight at 9pm and 1.15am.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In Bruges and Stand by Me on back to back on Channel 4 tonight at 10.

The Constant Gardener is on ITV3 tonight at 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tron just started on Disney Cine +1, classic movie.

If you get the Discovery Channel, they're showing Man On Wire at 9PM tonight. This is a feature-length documentary about Phillipe Petit, who walked a tightrope between the twin towers of the World Trade Centre. I haven't seen the film, which won an Oscar, but I've been fascinated by this story for years,

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

bnt wrote: »
    If you get the Discovery Channel, they're showing Man On Wire at 9PM tonight. This is a feature-length documentary about Phillipe Petit, who walked a tightrope between the twin towers of the World Trade Centre. I haven't seen the film, which won an Oscar, but I've been fascinated by this story for years,

clicked on this thread by total accident and it was meant to be. I had forgotten all about Man on Wire being on tonight. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Also Pride & Prejudice with Kiera Knightly is on RTE1 after the news (and not for the first time :rolleyes:) It's a beautiful film though.

Oh, and 'In the bedroom', BBC1 at 11.05 - lovely film too.

NB: Man On Wire is being repeated on Saturday at 10PM, so I can also safely recommend Collateral (9PM RTE Two). Michael Mann is one of my favourite directors, and in this film (as in Heat) he makes Los Angeles almost a character in the film. Jamie Foxx is excellent as the normal cab driver who gets pushed to his limits and beyond, and this is the film that made me take a fresh look at Tom Cruise, as the hit man who really likes his job. Watch out for a little cameo at the beginning:
    The hit list is delivered to Cruise by The Transporter (Jason Statham).

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Man On Wire defiantly worth a look, its nearly like a behind the scenes view of a bank robbery. The tightrope walker Philippe Petit did do my head in a bit though, in my view hes a bit of a douche bag.

Collateral is a top notch film. Tense throughout, with lots of twist and turns. Jamie Foxx plays his part well.

Caché/Hidden is on at 12.15am tonight on RTE 2. It's good!

I need to watch it again though since I'm still not sure exactly what was going on.

If anyone's at home today: BBC2 has All The King's Men (1949) on at 11:30am. The Pullitzer Prize-winning story of a corrupt politician who wins - and loses - power by appealing to the lowest public instincts. If the name sounds familiar, it's because it was remade a few years ago, with Sean Penn and Kate Winslet. The original won three Oscars, including Best Actor for Broderick Crawford.

"He Might Have Been A Pretty Good Guy . . . If Too Much Power . . . And Women . . . Hadn't Gone To his Head !"

PS: this film was the first major role for Mercedes McCambridge, who has entered film legend as the voice of the Demon in The Exorcist. :pac:

Grosse Pointe Blank is on BBC1 tonight at 11.15.

Kiki's Delivery Service is on Film Four today at 4:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Juno is on RTE 2 tonight. Worth Watching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Barb Wire's on ITV 4! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

No Country for Old Men - tonight RTE 1 9.35.

If you're at home today, you have a chance to watch a classic: Casablanca (1942) is on Ch 4 at 13:00, with Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman. If you haven't seen it before ... you need to fix that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Thx bnt, will take your word for it... and a good way to test out remote record :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Monty Pythons The Meaning of Life ITV4 at midnight/ and 1 am on +1.

Underrated final Python feature film sees a return to the sketch format of the TV series with plenty of visual treats and tasteless humour.

Worth seeing for the opening Crimson Permanent Assurance sequence

From Aertel:
    WITNESS, CH4, 22:30 An Amish boy witnesses a murder and goes into hiding with the detective assigned to the case-seeking refuge in the Amish community. Stars Harrison Ford. 1985

This is a bit like Lost In Translation, in that critics love it but it tends to split audiences. Not many police thrillers have beautiful scenery, long sections with little action, but it makes sense in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

The Last Samurai
    Academy Award nominee Tom Cruise stars in this sweeping epic set in Japan during the 1870s as Captain Nathan Algren, a respected American military officer hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare. As the Emperor attempts to eradicate the ancient Imperial Samurai warriors in preparation for more Westernised and trade-friendly government policies, Algren finds himself unexpectedly impressed and influenced by his encounters with the Japanese warriors, placing him at the centre of a struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his own sense of honour to guide him as The Last Samurai.
    Director: Edward Zwick
    Starring: Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe, William Atherton, Chad Lindberg, Ray Godshall Sr., Billy Connolly

Tv3@9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

There's a film on tg4 at the moment called WC its an Irish movie and it's absolute dross, should be watched for the comedic value only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There's a film on tg4 at the moment called WC its an Irish movie and it's absolute dross, should be watched for the comedic value only.

Yeah I heard about this film when it was being made. The acting is really bad, the script isn't much better. Trying to figure out why I heard of this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Its almost up there with The Room, it's all over the place.

Advertisement