Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh! :p

Play Misty for Me is on ITV at 10.35 for those who want to see Clint do a better job than Fatal Attraction did with the "mad psycho woman gives hunk the roundaround" storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have seen all of these apart from Letters from Iowa Jima, have heard it is excellent. Is what I heard correct?

Yes it is excellent and well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

deadtiger wrote: »
    Yes it is excellent and well worth watching.

But is it as good as the Eurovision?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Little Miss Sunshine is on CH4 23:35 tonight. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard only good things, and it was nominated for four Oscars and won two of them.

or: midnight on BBC1: The Peacemaker. George Clooney and Nicole Kidman in a high-tech (for 1995) thriller about nuclear terrorism. I've seen it a couple of times and quite liked it: very well made and keeps you on tenterhooks till the end. Also notable for being the first film produced by a new studio named "Dreamworks".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bnt wrote: »
    Little Miss Sunshine is on CH4 23:35 tonight. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard only good things, and it was nominated for four Oscars and won two of them.
    It's a great movie.. enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I can highly recommend In & Out with Kevin Kline. It's on sometime this week (I'm sorry to be so vague, I can't remember where I saw it advertised). I have seen this several times but will definitely watch it again. I think it's a very funny, very under-rated movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Chicago starting on BBC2 now in a minute. I'll never sleep now, too much singing and dancing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The Conformist: is starting on Film4 at 1:25 and then Film4+1 at 2:25.

This is one of the greatest films ever made in my opinion and is a massive influence on the style of The Godfather and other gangster films, such as Goodfellas.

It's beautifully shot and I would advise anyone with an interest in film to watch it.
    It's paced similarly to The Godfather and is slow moving.
    Give it a chance though, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Apocalypse Now on TCM at 9pm tonight. Needs no introduction, fantastic film. I only wish I had the station so I could re-watch it.

Apocalypse Now on TCM at 9pm tonight. Needs no introduction, fantastic film. I only wish I had the station so I could re-watch it.

Another one of my favourites. With a lot of people I talk to about it, you either love it or hate it. It is not your typical war movie at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Another one of my favourites. With a lot of people I talk to about it, you either love it or hate it. It is not your typical war movie at all.

I wouldn't buy the dvd, its a bit grim, and my dvd collection is bleak enough as it is. The first time I saw this film though, I was awed. You can really understand its 'classic' status. Absolutely mind blowing. I love how it explores the psychological impact of war, like a few films of this generation, understandably - where did we go astray with war films nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,897 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Inside Man RTE 1 tonight 9.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

sunday june 6 12.55 rte2 EASY RIDER :cool:

BBC2 is showing Michael Clayton at 22:00. I saw this just a few weeks ago, and was highly impressed with the cast, especially Tilda Swinton, who deservedly won an Oscar for this. George Clooney is also excellent as a man who thought he had it all figured out ..

Alternatively: if you want to see Clooney in a less dramatic role, One Fine Day is on CH4, 19:55. It's one of the few rom-coms I like, possibly because it's a little old-fashioned, yet avoids or subverts many of the clichés of the genre. It also has Michelle Pfeiffer as possibly the ultimate "yummy mummy". :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not for everyone but Channel 4 is showing Cloverfield tomorrow night (Monday) at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Easy Rider on RTE 2 at 11.55. Never seen it before, gonna rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

bnt wrote: »
    BBC2 is showing Michael Clayton at 22:00. I saw this just a few weeks ago, and was highly impressed with the cast, especially Tilda Swinton, who deservedly won an Oscar for this. George Clooney is also excellent as a man who thought he had it all figured out ..

Cheers, great film! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Full Metal Jacket just starting on ITV4+1

Sky Channel 180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brian De Palmas Dressed to Kill is on Channel 5 11.10 pm. Its a love/hate sort of proposition really - 105 minutes of pure surface style and conceit.

As this scene illustrates

I think this was an RTÉ production. I mention because of Blooms day but also because it comes from an era when RTÉ produced a phenomenal amount of Drama, and we rarely get to see repeats of Drama programming from the 1960 and 1970. The 1980 and 1990s saw a major reduction in RTÉ's drama output up to around 1998 when it began to see increased productions. Now if it wasn't produced by RTÉ I have still to see any repeats from their 1960 and 1970s output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,163 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Rescue Dawn is on BBC 2 now

Good vietnam movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

mike65 wrote: »
    Brian De Palmas Dressed to Kill is on Channel 5 11.10 pm. Its a love/hate sort of proposition really - 105 minutes of pure surface style and conceit. And kinky shenanigans!

As this scene illustrates

FYP :D DePalma is a poseur of a filmmaker. Always fascinating though.
    Elmo wrote: »
    I think this was an RTÉ production. I mention because of Blooms day but also because it comes from an era when RTÉ produced a phenomenal amount of Drama, and we rarely get to see repeats of Drama programming from the 1960 and 1970. The 1980 and 1990s saw a major reduction in RTÉ's drama output up to around 1998 when it began to see increased productions. Now if it wasn't produced by RTÉ I have still to see any repeats from their 1960 and 1970s output.
    Watched that the other night. Having only managed about one third of Joyce's most famous novel about ten years ago, that film just might make me have another crack at it. Interesting and watchable movie nonetheless.

Watched that the other night. Having only managed about one third of Joyce's most famous novel about ten years ago, that film just might make me have another crack at it. Interesting and watchable movie nonetheless.

Yeah, not an RTÉ production as I thought. Would be interesting to see some of the early programmes/films they produced in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Me,Myself and Irene on Film4 tonight 9pm. Classic Jim Carrey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I don't think this film needs an introduction at this stage, but The Blues Brothers is on ITV4 at 10:30 tonight. Great fun, and the car chase has to be seen to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Whos watching Elf and then Buffy the vampire slayer movie in film4 tonight??!! :D:) so many movies on tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I am! (Well, not buffy) I did actually say to myself, x-mas movie in June WTF?? Still funny though!

Also, it's a kids film on at ten at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Leaving Las Vegas .. is just about to start (1.15am) on ITV2+1.

Sky Channel 131.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Leaving Las Vegas .. is just about to start (1.15am) on ITV2+1.

Sky Channel 131.

Cage's best film that imo.

• Advertisement

Just noticed - E4 is showing Dogma at 9PM tonight. If you haven't seen this, it's up there with Kevin Smith's best, and has some weird-but-good casting.

Advertisement