Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IanB23

Just wondering if any lads had it done as an adult for cosmetic reasons. A few weeks back I was hospitalised from pneumonia and had a catheter inserted. Long story short was out of it on meds for three days in the hospital while fighting the infection and due to what I can only put to down to as neglect I ended up with a small portion of my foreskin being pinched from the “piss tube” and having what I’m assuming is a partial circumcision

Never had any foreskin issues like phimosis, about 90% of the glands covered when fully soft and maybe 30% when hard or would go back by itself when aroused. Sex or masterbation was never uncomfortable. Only just healed now and I’m not fully sure if I like the look of it (still looks good In my opinion) also I’m yet to test drive it out on a lady. Have masterbated and it’s not hugely different from what I did have before.

Suppose I’m just looking for a bit of advice off someone who enjoyed a healthy enjoyable sex life before getting a full circ. I had done a bit of research the last few days and it’s hard to find many stories from people in my position or that didn’t need it done medically. Also tried finding before and after pictures of lads who didn’t had a long tight foreskin to begin with just to gauge a rough idea of what I’d end up with, literally doing my head in at the minute cos I’m so torn between whether or not this procedure would be for me

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

4 weeks today since the procedure, was back up so see the surgeon for a check up. He was very happy with how it was healing and been cleaned, he took out the last few stitches that hadn't dissolved.

He said the "ridges" formed by the stitches should clear up in 2-3 months. There also a hard bit beside that big vein that will go away soon.

He said to keep washing with salt water and to use a vitamin e cream twice a day to help with the healing/cosmetics.

I'm happy with how it has turned out so for, should have done it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northwest40s

I'm 3 weeks tomorrow and I was back with the surgeon yesterday for a check up and he was very happy with the way it was healing. I was concerned because the left side was still split open looking but he said it was fine and will heal flat. I was worried that I might need more stitches. Today it looks so much better. It looks great now and is much more even looking. I should have done it years ago too. He said no creams and to just let the water run on it so I put the shower head on it and let it run for about 5 mins while massaging the side that wasn't healing. It really worked wonders. I'm still soaking it in salt water too. I've been using a light bit of gauze and a light bandage going to work but I think I'll be able to go without anything tomorrow.

I did mine privately. I didn't go through my GP. My surgeon put me on antibiotics the day of the surgery just in case of infection so I'm just going to finish the course off now. I'm only taking the odd painkiller. I was told to take 2 nurofen plus AND 2 paracetamol every 6 hours but I just did that for the first 24 hours. I honestly thought I'd be crawling up the walls with pain... so far so good.

If you don't mind me asking, which doctor did you do it with privately? I have read about one near Dublin that does it for around €1000, however I'm still unsure if I should go private or GP.

I don't know if I should name the doctor in public. I did it to keep my privacy. It was done with a local anesthetic which was important for me. No sedation so I could walk away from it and not involve anyone else. It cost €750 in total. Not sure if you can send pvt messages here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IcePoseidon

I don't know if I should name the doctor in public. I did it to keep my privacy. It was done with a local anesthetic which was important for me. No sedation so I could walk away from it and not involve anyone else. It cost €750 in total. Not sure if you can send pvt messages here?

Thanks for the reply, I've sent you a private msg :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi all,

I have had an extremely tight foreskin since birth and have been to the GP several times about it over the years. The GP says it's my Frenulum and after years of struggle i'm thinking of having the surgery after a close friend has a similar operation done.

I was hoping not to remove my entire foreskin but just the Frenulum. Has anyone had this done here? I have read it's not recommended but I think I would prefer it.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

carzony - I have sent a message to you about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

carzony wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have had an extremely tight foreskin since birth and have been to the GP several times about it over the years. The GP says it's my Frenulum and after years of struggle i'm thinking of having the surgery after a close friend has a similar operation done.

I was hoping not to remove my entire foreskin but just the Frenulum. Has anyone had this done here? I have read it's not recommended but I think I would prefer it.

Cheers lads.

Yes, it is possible, it's called a frenuloplasty, it can either be lengthened or fully removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tinfoil Hat

Has anyone any experience with frenuloplasty surgery? Or with the clinic in malahide that performs circumcisions/frenuloplasty?

Also cost, the site lists up to €1150 (for circumcision related procedures) but would it be less for frenuloplasty only?

Finally, health insurance wouldn’t cover it would it? I have health insurance with my parents but don’t really want to tell them or be waiting ages for the procedure on public services so am considering just using my own savings (I’m 19 y/o with ~€1500 saved).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ragnar123

Hey gentleman, if sombody already asked this or it's been covered I apologize.

I was curious 4 days ago, seems like its taking forever. Still slow moving. Erections are fricken awful..

Anyways to the point, after 3 days I was instructed to remove the bandage. I've been since then I've been reading bandaging it because of how sensitive it is. Did any of you do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

I kept the dressing on for about 5 days or so I think, it was a shock just how sensitive it was once I removed the dressing.

I think that sensitivity is going to be there no matter how long you leave the dressing on, so once the would is clean and nothing's going to stick to it I would bite the bullet and do without the dressing, maybe if your going somewhere use the dressing but at home remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ragnar123

How long did it take for your guys stitches to start popping? I'm at day 7 and my first one just came out.. Seems early, no?

Mine started to fall out around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭antoisspence

I just had mine done today in the Hermitage.

Had quite a bit of uh.....shrinkage, after moving around for a bit and the dressing kinda just fell off. Nurse didn't seem too concerned about it though. Instead of putting another dressing on they just gave cotton pads that I can use to put a barrier between the tip and my underwear.

Was thinking of trying to bandage it back up myself but I'd really rather not touch it if I can avoid it.

I hope all goes well for your recovery. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on dressing it. I was told to leave my dressing on for a day or more. It will probably be very stingy the first time you shower. I have to say that I wouldn't have managed if I didn't bandage mine up. I got the square non stick bandages, cut them in half, taped them together and made a strip out of it that i put around the head and particularly the surgery line and put some surgical tape around it to hold it on and to stop it moving I taped it to the shaft with a bit of tape. I used to try and expose the head when I had to piss and it's easier to piss sitting down. As the healing went on i was able to use less bandages but without them I wouldn't have coped. Salt baths were great for healing. Boil some water add plenty of salt and let it cool. Then transfer it to a smaller container for you to be able to dip your surgery area into. I had the water warm enough. I used to microwave it in the smaller container when I needed it. Let the air at it as much as possible when you're at home. Send me a private message if you have any questions. Do you have stitches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conan_2224

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a private clinic that do circumcisions?

Have been on the public waiting list 7 months but have yet to hear anything.

Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭antoisspence

Conan_2224 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a private clinic that do circumcisions?

Have been on the public waiting list 7 months but have yet to hear anything.

Appreciate the help.

I had mine done in the Hermitage Medical Clinic.

Had an appointment with a consultant on the 30th of April which cost me 180 quid and got the circumcision done the same week on the 3rd of May.

Was on the waiting list about 4 and a half years to get it done publicly in St. James Hospital before I went private.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conan_2224

Thanks @antoisspence, will give them a try, sounds like a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was circumcised years ago and never regretted it. Have recently met someone after a bit of a gap and I'm finding it really hard to come during sex.
    How do guys find sex before and after being done? I do possibly think part of the issue could be i'm conditioned to masturbation but its not all the problemm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm getting it done today, I intended to go to a gig tomorrow and Sunday. Reckon id have to give a miss? They're seated if that's helpful, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Gael23 wrote: »
    I was circumcised years ago and never regretted it. Have recently met someone after a bit of a gap and I'm finding it really hard to come during sex.
    How do guys find sex before and after being done? I do possibly think part of the issue could be i'm conditioned to masturbation but its not all the problemm.

I found it slightly more difficult to come because the head really does lose sensitivity. However, I think masturbation is the real issue. I find it very difficult to come if I've masturbated in the previous 24 hours (your mileage may vary etc, I'm a middle aged man!)

Try laying off the self pleasuring before a date and see how that works maybe?

Cyclepath wrote: »
    I found it slightly more difficult to come because the head really does lose sensitivity. However, I think masturbation is the real issue. I find it very difficult to come if I've masturbated in the previous 24 hours (your mileage may vary etc, I'm a middle aged man!)

Try laying off the self pleasuring before a date and see how that works maybe?

I thought that may be the issue. That said I don’t masturbate excessively

Gael23 wrote: »
    I thought that may be the issue. That said I don’t masturbate excessively

Sure what's excessively?! I think after you've been circumcised as an adult, you gradually adjust your technique to suit the lost sensitivity and that's why it's more difficult to come when having sex.

It's a good idea to always use some oil based lube when masturbating so that you don't excessively harden the skin on the glans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

Lads I got it done but no proper information for recovery. I'm bandaged up and will remove 48 hours after op. Gently wash my penis and then I'm unsure if bandage it back up or apply polysporin cream :s any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

When I had my operation the post op instruction was not to cover. Wear loose underwear. Use some lent type pads to deal with ooze. There is likely to be quite a lot of ooze. Take regular baths with just a little salt. These baths are crucial just soak for a few minutes and pat dry. If you get get a smell or green puss go back to your doctor you may have an infection. This may not happen if you are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

ronano wrote: »
    Lads I got it done but no proper information for recovery. I'm bandaged up and will remove 48 hours after op. Gently wash my penis and then I'm unsure if bandage it back up or apply polysporin cream :s any advice?

Use manuka wound gel, you can get it in H&B, it's used in the military for healing.

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Sure what's excessively?! I think after you've been circumcised as an adult, you gradually adjust your technique to suit the lost sensitivity and that's why it's more difficult to come when having sex.

It's a good idea to always use some oil based lube when masturbating so that you don't excessively harden the skin on the glans.

I masturbate twice a day at most but usually just once after work. I was circumcised as a child age 8/9, for medical reasons. Before puberty so I dont know any different I guess.
    I cant do anything without lube but mostly use water based as I thought that was best. I have gotten a technique to masturbate and cum although get limited feeling but find it really difficult to have sex.

I hope all goes well for your recovery. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on dressing it. I was told to leave my dressing on for a day or more. It will probably be very stingy the first time you shower. I have to say that I wouldn't have managed if I didn't bandage mine up. I got the square non stick bandages, cut them in half, taped them together and made a strip out of it that i put around the head and particularly the surgery line and put some surgical tape around it to hold it on and to stop it moving I taped it to the shaft with a bit of tape. I used to try and expose the head when I had to piss and it's easier to piss sitting down. As the healing went on i was able to use less bandages but without them I wouldn't have coped. Salt baths were great for healing. Boil some water add plenty of salt and let it cool. Then transfer it to a smaller container for you to be able to dip your surgery area into. I had the water warm enough. I used to microwave it in the smaller container when I needed it. Let the air at it as much as possible when you're at home. Send me a private message if you have any questions. Do you have stitches?

Of all the advice you get here, keep using the Ploysporin! I got an infection after my circumcision. The surgeon didn't prescribe it and a few days later it took a fresh faced intern in St James Hospital A&E to sort out the bloody obvious :confused:

I now have a glamorous scar behind my glans due to torn stitches as a result of the infection. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 tooktheplunge

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker on this forum and have gone through exactly what many of you have also experienced in regards to phismosis.
    I myself have went for the operation today at a certain location in Malahide, I understand that I am not allowed to name the clinic or doctor in question but lets just say that without naming his name, a famous cartoon fireman comes to mind. ;)

To give some background to my personal situation, I myself am 23 years old and to this date suffered extreme phismosis in that i could never pull the head back at all... even when flacid. It bugged me for years and when having sex.... I got no pleasure from doing so as the foreskin would not retract and i knew something had to be done. It was hell at times knowing that I couldn't perform like the majority of the male population.

From looking at these forums over the course of a few months and reading the positive reviews of this place, I decided to take the plunge and book the appointment with the place in Malahide. I emailed last Thursday to see if I could get a consultation and procedure in the near future and was contacted within hours from the doctor stating that I could in fact have both the following Tuesday afternoon, a very quick turnaround and I gratefully accepted the offered date.

For me personally, travelling from Northern Ireland, it suited me to travel down and stay in a hotel for the procedure as i did not want my parents having to watch me potentially limp round the house back home. I was lucky enough to have booked annual leave that week so it made sense for me to get it over and done with. It turns out that the clinic I went to can issue a certified certificate of leave stating 'medical procedure' which is recognised by employers...something which I did not realise before arriving so anybody who has concerns over work... a certificate can be issued which has to be recognised by employers for sick leave.

This morning I woke up and did not eat or drink anything (fast for 4 hours)... as advised by the email I received after accepting the appointment. I arrived down in loose tracksuit bottoms with tight 'jocks' or boxers as described. From then on I was looked after brilliantly upon arrival. The first thing you have to do is read and sign a medical consent form. Not gonna lie,, after reading the medical consent form I did get a bit nervous as it was hitting home that I was getting the op done... but as soon as I met the doc, he was first class and assured me of everything. He brought me into the threatre room and advised of the different types of cuts or circumcision you can go for. For me personally it was the hardest part of the procedure... deciding if to go for a 'partial' circumcision where only part of the foreskin is removed meaning that when flacid you can see the top of the head... or 'classical' where all foreskin is removed below the head. I opted for the partial circumcision as ultimately I wanted to keep part of the foreskin. After deciding on this (after a lengthy decision it has to be said)... the doc went through in great detail the aftercare that I would need to follow aka cleaning the wound,, dressing the wound,, when i could masturbate/have sex etc etc. All was very clear before he asked me if I was happy to proceed which I was.

This being the first op I've ever had, I was s******g it tbh but in reality there was no need to. The sedation is a simple needle into the arm and i barely felt it. I didnt even realised being knocked out and when I woke up, an hour and 5 mins had passed and was in absolutely no pain whatsoever. The doc went through the result of the op and there and behold I was actually looking at my member for the first time able to see the head and withdraw the remaining foreskin... it felt great at that moment... made everything worth it.

I was then treated to tea and biscuits and was left in a room to just let the sedation wear off. I was then prescribed numbing cream for any sensitivity I may get which I got from the chemist opposite and the doc himself provided me with the dressing for the wound to cover it for a few days. I paid up before the op took place...after the inital consultation.... £1150 euro and received my receipt. I was then provided login details for the specific clinic which had a copy of my aftercare on it. I got the stuff from the chemist and got a taxi back to the hotel where im staying where I'm currently I am sat up watching the world cup.

For me,... I'm aware that there will be likely pain to come from erections at night mostly but the cream subscribed will hopefully help with that. A tip as well which I forgot to mentioned is to buy johnsons baby wipes to help clean your body as I'm not allowed to shower for three days while the wound recovers.

I'll hopefuly will still be as positive in the posts to follow, I plan to keep people updated and return the favour for what many did before me and persuaded me to get it done.

The one thing I will say is that this experience is only from the clinic mentioned, I know from reading others posts before that aftercare has been different and in some cases non existent. The place does look after you from start to finish and I've even given the docs number if anything does need to be sorted regarding aftercase.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if needed.

Advertisement