Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I wasn't intending to sound so accusatory, just wanted clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Yeah, the paranormal thread meant to be a little easy going without having to argue or defend your position on the paranormal all the time! The Paranormal thread guidelines set out what is expected very well…..
    Dair76 wrote: »
    I wasn't intending to sound so accusatory, just wanted clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

It was a fair question given that they appeared at first glance to be contradicting their own story, and at no point was I making the OP "defend their position on the paranormal".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

at a house in an
    estate off blackhorse avenue

there's a military cemetery nearby, so maybe it was a deceased soldier up to mischief

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

fryup wrote: »
    there's a military cemetery nearby, so maybe it was a deceased soldier up to mischief

That cemetery is behind dunard estate,my experience happened at least a mile further up,closer to ashtown/castleknock area,but you never know :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

celica00 wrote: »
    your experiences are not paranormal, that is simply the law of attraction :)

I had a read at the Law of Attraction, as was your suggestion re:my previous posts a few pages back re: "coincidences".

I don't subscribe nor believe everything in the "Sixth Sense" theory, but it seems more likely to me. So posting up link in case anyone wants to have a read. Particularly the section,
    HEIGHTENING THE 5 SENSES FOR GREATER PERCEPTION

http://naturalhealthtechniques.com/developing-your-sixth-sense.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Now,that was my original post from a few years back,what I didn't mention back then,for fear of being labeled a bullsh1tter was the time and date that this happened me.It was around 1pm,September 11th,2001.I don't know whether that was significant,or purely coincidental,but it was really fkin strange to say the least! And still sticks in my mind,clear as day13 years later.

you know iirc, that was the time (irish time) that the first plane hit the twin towers :confused: maybe it was significant

did you have any close relatives living in new york at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

fryup wrote: »
    you know iirc, that was the time (irish time) that the first plane hit the twin towers :confused: maybe it was significant

did you have any close relatives living in new york at the time?

Yep,the times line up. I wasn't aware of the tragedy unfolding in new york,no smartphones back then :) I also walked home that day,as the second job i went on that afternoon was in Marino and I needed to get to Finglas which would have have required two busses,so i said myself f*ck it and walked the full length of griffith ave and up into Finglas.The first bit of media exposure i got all day was at 6.45 that evening.My da was glued to the TV.I naturally put two and two together and immediately decided that the castrophe in New York and my experience were linked,but with the passage of time it seems less likely to me.For example my boss witnessed the same thing twice,once on the same day and then again a couple of weeks later.
    I didn't/don't have any relations in New York.My boss came from a part of Co Clare that was decimated by emigration in the 80s so he would have known people living over there,but nobody he knew were caught up in it.I put it down as a coincidence

Strange one this, woken at 1 am by wife because of strange noise in the room, there was loud laboured breathing in corner of room, like a animal breathing very heavly and loud, we thought it was a fox perhaps outside but nothing when we checked, it lasted about ten minutes, I thought is might have been an animal in the rafters or floor boards but no scratching sounds or foot steps to back this up, it was defintely sounding like inside two feet from us and suddenly stopped… background: this house has been reputedly haunted since its was built in the early seventies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Not2Good wrote: »
    Strange one this, woken at 1 am by wife because of strange noise in the room, there was loud laboured breathing in corner of room, like a animal breathing very heavly and loud, we thought it was a fox perhaps outside but nothing when we checked, it lasted about ten minutes, I thought is might have been an animal in the rafters or floor boards but no scratching sounds or foot steps to back this up, it was defintely sounding like inside two feet from us and suddenly stopped… background: this house has been reputedly haunted since its was built in the early seventies

thats a bit strange alright

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    thats a bit strange alright

Gonna keep my digital recorder by the bedside for a while. Unfortunately I was listening to Leap recordings at work and that is where the recorder was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Can somebody, anybody, please find me anything, anywhere in this thread that shows any credulous, serious potential for the existence of the paranormal?

The longer it goes on, the greater my disbelief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You'd have to agree that some of the posters themselves are definitely not from this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Kettleson wrote: »
    Can somebody, anybody, please find me anything, anywhere in this thread that shows any credulous, serious potential for the existence of the paranormal? The longer it goes on, the greater my disbelief.
    You'd have to agree that some of the posters themselves are definitely not from this world.

If you don't like things here, there's always the Skeptics forum. Or didn't you read the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

I'm studying neuroscience at a high enough level right now over in Birmingham. All I'll say is a lot of what your seeing is easily producable given the right activation of certain areas of the brain.

I'll give an example, theres a region known as the Temporoparietal junction, its essentially where the temporal and parietal lobes pass on a lot of information to eachother. It has a plethora of roles but to narrow it down it plays a huge role in something known as Theory of Mind, which is something only we humans have which allows us to recognise that other people have thoughts and feelings of their own - we can see their own perspectives essentially. It very much plays a role in perspectives and empathy or 'seeing things from others view points'. Damage to it has lead to a few case studies of people seeing themselves from external perspectives. Additionally by using something known as a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation you can effectively activate areas of the brain through magnetic fields - by running it over the TPJ, not all the time, but often you can create the participant to have an 'out of body experience' where they describe themselves.

Its believed out of body experiences during operations in hospitals and injurys etc are from a lack of blood flow to the TPJ which then causes these effects.

Keep an open mind about what you're seeing, it could be a 'ghost' if they exist but theres a hell of a lot of stuff in the literature if you ever search it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Can somebody, anybody, please find me anything, anywhere in this thread that shows any credulous, serious potential for the existence of the paranormal?

The thread is for people to tell their "paranormal experience" stories not to get bogged down in circular, never ending, debates over whether these experiences are real or made up or misinterpreted.

I have fallen into that trap in this thread myself. I think it's better to just read and remain silent because you have NO CHANCE of convincing people that their "experience" can be explained rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

There's a forum called 'Sceptics' corner' or something similar on boards. That is probably what you are looking for.

You should go out there join an investigation team, see for yourself but do not expect 'casper on demand', You will not find proof in peoples words but have to go out there yourself, if have already gone on investigations already with no sucess try another group.... keep the faith!

Thanks for that, have to consider all possibilities so your post is helpful to everyone, you might if you can shed light on two people experiencing the same 'event' eg a sound say, I'm genuinely interested as I would be very happy for a non paranormal explanation, this occurred just two nights ago now....
    I'm studying neuroscience at a high enough level right now over in Birmingham. All I'll say is a lot of what your seeing is easily producable given the right activation of certain areas of the brain.

I'll give an example, theres a region known as the Temporoparietal junction, its essentially where the temporal and parietal lobes pass on a lot of information to eachother. It has a plethora of roles but to narrow it down it plays a huge role in something known as Theory of Mind, which is something only we humans have which allows us to recognise that other people have thoughts and feelings of their own - we can see their own perspectives essentially. It very much plays a role in perspectives and empathy or 'seeing things from others view points'. Damage to it has lead to a few case studies of people seeing themselves from external perspectives. Additionally by using something known as a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation you can effectively activate areas of the brain through magnetic fields - by running it over the TPJ, not all the time, but often you can create the participant to have an 'out of body experience' where they describe themselves.

Its believed out of body experiences during operations in hospitals and injurys etc are from a lack of blood flow to the TPJ which then causes these effects.

Keep an open mind about what you're seeing, it could be a 'ghost' if they exist but theres a hell of a lot of stuff in the literature if you ever search it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Not2Good wrote: »
    Thanks for that, have to consider all possibilities so your post is helpful to everyone, you might if you can shed light on two people experiencing the same 'event' eg a sound say, I'm genuinely interested as I would be very happy for a non paranormal explanation, this occurred just two nights ago now....

From a neuroscience or psychological perspective you could argue that if one person reacts to something, other people in the immediate surroundings often mirror the same emotions. It's how we learn as children especially things about emotional processes but it also a neat quick communication tool. So if a sound freaks one person out subtle sub cues in their body and face will lead to instant shared emotions, which could lead them to both be freaked out by the sound whereas if the other was alone he would be more skeptical or not care upon hearing the sound.

All this is just literature and isn't necessarily my own views. A lot of stuff out there happens and it's hard to understand it as it never happens in a lab setting. Eye witnesses cannot be trusted as memory deteriorates fast and due to biases no matter how much they lay claim to what they see or heard. It's obvious stuff is happening but how it can be measured is what we should be contending with if we want answers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Back on topic here, this is something weird that happened to me last night.

I was upstairs listening to music when the light went off, I'm like... Crap the bulb is gone, then I'm like... Wait, it's an energy saver ie it should last a fairly long time.

Then it comes back on, I ask to do it again and it goes back off, then back on, I'm thinking massive coincidence then I say... Okay ima count to 10 then turn it off and I count really slowly and it just goes off!

I know explain it as dodgy electricity but all the other lights were fine, internet still working so it's not that.

Then of course, it could just be a faulty bulb but whatever the case I found it really freaky especially counting down number by number real slow and then it goes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Been reading this thread for a long time and never posted, but a few odd things have happened lately so thought it was time! Like many others - I'm skeptical about what people think they have seen/heard and believe a lot of things can be put down to your mind playing tricks on you...I'm forever trying to come up with logical explanations for things but sometimes there just isn't one. Maybe some of you can give your opinions, especially on the first one as we can't come up with a decent explanation.

We have two cats and have litter trays for them indoors. One of the litter trays is kept half way up the stairs where there's a small landing area (where the stairs4u.com text is in the image below). One night my mam, my sister and her boyfriend who were all asleep, woke up to the sound of something large thudding down the stairs and crashing against the living room door at around 3:15am. They all came out onto the main landing to see what had happened, assuming the cats had knocked something over. Instead, they found a fair amount of clean cat litter scattered across the bottom part of the stairs with nothing at the end to account for the noise they heard. The litter tray was in the same spot as always with litter inside. Whatever they heard falling fell with such a force that it carried some of the litter all the way across the living room even with the door closed. They were all half asleep and didn't really know what to make of it at the time but the more we tried to figure out what made the noise and how the litter got out of the box, the more baffled we were. Any ideas?

open-ustairs.jpg

A few weeks back, there was just myself and my mam in the house. I was drying my hair in my room which is at the front of the house, and I also had the radio on in the background. I could hear my mam calling me from downstairs presumably about dinner but figured she'd realize I couldn't hear her properly with the hair dryer and music going so I didn't answer. I finished drying my hair about a minute or so later and turned off the radio only to hear my mam opening the bathroom door which is upstairs at the back of the house. Surprised she was upstairs, I was about to ask her what she was calling me for when she said "Were you calling me?". She then said she'd just finished having a bath and was letting the water drain so she didn't answer because she thought I'd realize she was in the bath and mightn't hear me (I know, like mother like daughter in terms of not replying!). I heard my mams voice calling me and she heard my voice shouting "mam" from downstairs. All the windows and doors were locked - no one else home.

A good few months ago I had a horrible nightmare about an older scraggly looking woman who was wearing black and had grey hair but I couldn't properly make out her face. I do remember she looked angry though. I can't remember exactly what happened in the dream but she grabbed my arm and I woke up. I screamed and was in my bed with my arm out but she was still there grabbing onto my wrist. I was trying to convince myself that I was still dreaming and slowly she let go and kind of drifted away while fading into the corner of my room. Even writing this I know it sounds so ridiculous but I was absolutely terrified and it felt so real. Definitely my imagination merging the nightmare and real life but bloody hell, frightening all the same.

My aunt had a similar experience to my nightmare actually while staying in an old hotel/bnb and she'd be the least likely person to exaggerate a story like this. She said she went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night to see a man in a military uniform and a woman in old fashioned clothes at the end of her bed. She thought she was dreaming etc and sat up to wake herself up properly but they were still there. They eventually faded away and she was just frozen in shock. In the morning she talked to someone who worked there and asked what the history of the place was and of course it was used for the lads in the local army barracks back in the day (I'll have to find out exactly what but pretty weird considering she didn't know this before she stayed - it's just some normal place in the countryside).

I'm sure I'll remember more odd things if I talk to my sister as she's convinced we've a ghost but that's off the top of my head anyway. Any suggestions about the cat thing are more than welcome! I've gone over every scenario that I can think of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

When a top scientist says the following, you tend to take more notice. Eric Lindsay was director of Armagh Observatory for 37 years until 1974 and one of Ireland's foremost astronomers. Here's what he told a colleague:

'During one of many conversations with Dr Lindsay I remember him telling me of his experience one night. It was his habit—dating from his Harvard days—to work late at night in his study, enjoying the peace and quiet. He never explained the nature of what he was engaged in that particular night; he could have been working on a report, or scanning a photographic plate with the binocular microscope.

In any case, he was engrossed in what he was doing, but in the course of time he became aware of a ‘presence’ in the room. The more he tried to ignore it the more ‘it’ made its presence felt, until whatever it was became so overwhelming that Dr Lindsay had to leave his study; and until his own death he would never work later than 11.30 at night. Knowing Dr Lindsay as I did, he certainly was not a man of a nervous disposition. Was this the ghost of the Reverend William Davenport making its rounds?'

William Davenport was a former director of Armagh Observatory who committed suicide in 1823.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Thanks for sharing @scdublin, that sounds pretty spooky and think it could be all down to a paranormal experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jimmyoconner

Right moved into my new house last april,the house is 4 years old,and a couple lived here before me,3/4 mths after moving in i started getting smells upstairs,ya know perfumes etc etc..then one day while in the bathroom i seen a towel rocking on a drying rack on the landing,i knew i didnt hit off it but i let it be,now i have 3 kids,2 girls 7 and 21..and a 12 year old boy..right back to the story,a week later one night the 7 year old girl came into my room and said she seen clothes rocking on same drying rack,,so now it got my attention,she also mentioned one evening she thought she felt someone trying to wake her one nigh..then the big one happened..3 weeks ago i was awake sitting up in bed at 6 AM..i heard a kid giggle out on the landing,i thought it was my 7 years old as when she wakes no matter what time she gets up,then i heard 3 foot steps to the bedroom door,i got up,went out and nothing.then last week i got a real stromg smell of sweet pipe tobbaco upstairs,when i looked into my sons room there was a bottle lying on his floor rocking as if someone just hit off it..so 2 nights ago my 21 year old woke up and thought she heard her sister playing with her toys in the room,she heard toys been moved,she told her sister to get baclk into bed at it was only 7 oclock,but when she hit her phone it was infact only 530,and her sister was fast asleep...now as i said when i heard the playing on the landing it was defo a girl....last night i spoke to someone thathas an interest in this area,i mention little of what happened,but said there was something there..and they said "yes its a small girl,and she feels safe and happy with your kids there,and just ket it be"...so there my story,to be continued,strange thing is id freak at stuff like this,but for some reason im easy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

@jimmyoconner: even whilst reading it it sounds "easy going".
    I think someone is there to have "fun", it doesnt sound like someone tries to disturb u guys but actually someone has the giggles.
    Would be nice to investigate who that young child was

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Ive got a few experiences of my own mostly from after we moved house to the country.

We lived in a bungalow in the Midlands, I had my own room, box room nothing fancy with a bunk bed up against the wall, to the right of the door and the window on the far left side of opposite wall. these bits are relevant, Ill explain in a bit.

One night in August '00, I was 8, would have been late in the night I woke up and looked out the window. From what I know now, it was the banshee. some people might be dubious, they have their own opinions but from what i saw it corresponds to previous accounts - my granda had a similar one out by Sandymount. the banshee was like a fluorscent yellow, brushing its hair and floating thats what got me, kept coming towards the window. had its mouth open and man those choppers could see a dentist. anywho i saw this coming towards the window and was stuck, half amazement and fear. only when i realised that it was approaching the window did i bawl out for the folks. A few days later a friend of my parents died, heart attack on his tractor.

We then moved a few years later to my mams family home, folks bought it. Few years ago, my dad and myself went into the house having been out. we both heard someone run from the top of the stairs, across the landing and towards my folks room. was childs footsteps. my brother was only young but still able to climb stairs so we thought crap maybe its him or my younger sister. Turned out they were both still in the car.

When we moved into the house initially, my parents told us the story of how one night in the room below them they heard children singing Ring-a-Ring-a Rosie and laughing. Theres been some crazy stuff, pipe smoke by the old fireplace, flashes of something in the corner of your eye and our shed, ive got a home made gym out there and man theres something not right about it. has this feeling of being watched that all of us get when out there. my mam wont go in at times because of it.

One more and Ill leave you to it: my granda died in 06, few weeks later i was in the sitting room reading paper when i felt a pinch on my bck. Checked the mirror and there was nail marks in the skin. funny thing was my granda used to do it alot to me as a kid, plus we were really close.

BTW my home is an 18th century Georgian farmhouse, so its got the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Had an electric toothbrush turn itself on twice the other day when I was alone in the house. It was standing upright on the sink. Heard it turn on from downstairs went up to the bathroom and it was spinning away. Binned it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Riamfada wrote: »
    Had an electric toothbrush turn itself on twice the other day when I was alone in the house. It was standing upright on the sink. Heard it turn on from downstairs went up to the bathroom and it was spinning away. Binned it.

More likely a faulty toothbrush rather than paranormal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Loughc wrote: »
    More likely a faulty toothbrush rather than paranormal.

Yeah probably. but sill freaky

Advertisement