Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

orubiru wrote: »
    Are we allowed to be skeptical on the thread?...
    Excellent post. The way I look at it is the Universe is a truly mysterious place, we could mention subjects such as quantum physics, dark matter, dark energy which aren't conventionally supernatural but are stranger than fiction.

We use words like light, energy, mass etc. but what do those words really mean, are they just descriptions of reality rather than any underlying explanation of it...

Despite the great progress of the last few hundred years, it appears the Universe is still 99% unknown, and the subject of ghosts is just another possible example of a myriad number of potential actualities which we are yet unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

The guys say "there isn't anybody in there" but obviously there is.

I am 'the guy', and no there wasnt anyone there. verified by superquinn management and head office to me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

A major stumbling block is that figures can't simply "manifest".
    I would say that in your mind the hoover was pulled out by an unknown force. In your minds there were figures at the window. Outside of your mind? Probably not. This does not make the experience less valid.
    Well the hoover thing happened,It came out,with slack wire coiled on the floor, in a corner behind me.Secondly, shaken as I was,I'm not going to head for lunch and leave a hoover running.I plugged it out and on my return it was plugged in.As for the figures in the window, I think manifestation would be the correct term,insofar as they appeared, disappeared and appeared again to two witnesses on separate occasions over the course of a fortnight.
    I'm a realist,i believe most things have logical explanation, and i wish there was one for this because it still troubles me.I'm also a very inquisitive person,so i didnt immediately discount the notion that it was a trick of the mind,i read up lots in science mags and also online regarding the hallucination theory,but i didn't fit the profile of the people that most commonly experience hallucinations, ie i wasn't suffering from fatigue,i wasn't burdened by stress of any kind,i hadn't experienced any recent trauma,my mental state was perfectly stable and physically fit.I was a 20 year old single man loving life.My age would also dismiss the Alzheimer's or dementia theory,and there is no history of it in my family. When the chap i was working for eventually told his story,any explanation I had went out the window, excuse the pun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

maccored wrote: »
    I am 'the guy', and no there wasnt anyone there. verified by superquinn management and head office to me personally.

That's really cool. Awesome.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative but I really think in this case on the video there probably was someone in there. Even if it was just an employee fooling around.

I am more intrigued by the aspect of the Superquinn being like this closed box. ANYTHING could be happening in there. Why should it be something "paranormal"?

I feel the same way about memory, sight, hearing, second hand tales, understanding of physics. They are these "closed boxes" that we can't see into. So we make assumptions and then we look to solidify those. It's actually pretty cool.

That's really cool. Awesome.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative but I really think in this case on the video there probably was someone in there. Even if it was just an employee fooling around.

I am more intrigued by the aspect of the Superquinn being like this closed box. ANYTHING could be happening in there. Why should it be something "paranormal"?

I feel the same way about memory, sight, hearing, second hand tales, understanding of physics. They are these "closed boxes" that we can't see into. So we make assumptions and then we look to solidify those. It's actually pretty cool.

well it is a closed box in that place - its inside a locked shopping centre, which was locked when I was there with two others. No access in or out bar the centre - though Im sure the supermarket has other exits. still - the superquinn management were adamant there was no-one in there and passed it on to their HQ, who also stated that according to their alarm system etc etc, there definitely was no-one in there.

• Advertisement

well it is a closed box in that place - its inside a locked shopping centre, which was locked when I was there with two others. No access in or out bar the centre - though Im sure the supermarket has other exits. still - the superquinn management were adamant there was no-one in there and passed it on to their HQ, who also stated that according to their alarm system etc etc, there definitely was no-one in there.

If we were to say OK then and I accepted all this.

What would be the implications if something like what you have described were possible?

It feels like you are not willing to commit to saying it was a ghost but are fully committed to the idea that it 100% could not have been people.

Well the hoover thing happened,It came out,with slack wire coiled on the floor, in a corner behind me.Secondly, shaken as I was,I'm not going to head for lunch and leave a hoover running.I plugged it out and on my return it was plugged in.As for the figures in the window, I think manifestation would be the correct term,insofar as they appeared, disappeared and appeared again to two witnesses on separate occasions over the course of a fortnight.
    I'm a realist,i believe most things have logical explanation, and i wish there was one for this because it still troubles me.I'm also a very inquisitive person,so i didnt immediately discount the notion that it was a trick of the mind,i read up lots in science mags and also online regarding the hallucination theory,but i didn't fit the profile of the people that most commonly experience hallucinations, ie i wasn't suffering from fatigue,i wasn't burdened by stress of any kind,i hadn't experienced any recent trauma,my mental state was perfectly stable and physically fit.I was a 20 year old single man loving life.My age would also dismiss the Alzheimer's or dementia theory,and there is no history of it in my family. When the chap i was working for eventually told his story,any explanation I had went out the window, excuse the pun

A question I would want to ask is when you saw the figures at the window why did it seem to you that they were not "just people"?

If we accept that you did indeed see figures at the window then when you go about your day to day life how can you really trust that the figures you see are actually people and not figures similar to those you saw on that day?

See, I feel like you are really saying you saw people in a place where you did not expect people to be. Then building that up into something more.

For example, I go to Supervalu twice a week. There are 3 distinctive employees there and a bunch that I don't really pay attention to (or look at, whatever). The 3 that I recognize every week... I've never seen them interact with each other, or anyone else, but they've interacted with me.

I assume they are "just people". Couldn't I just as easily assume they are "ghosts"?

What is the criteria for categorizing a figure I've seen as a "ghost" or a "person"?

Getting on the bus is gonna be weird today... how many of the passengers are "real"?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

I was just reading back over my previous post when I suddenly remembered something else that happened to me about two years ago. I was house-/dog- sitting for a relation while they were away on holiday. Their house (a bungalow) is located in the middle of the country with no other houses nearby. On my first night there all was well, but on the second and third nights something strange occurred. Before going to bed, I had taken the dog on a circuit of the garden, which basically involved walking around the exterior of the house while he sniffed everything and peed on everything and did what dogs usually do. This was part of the dog's nightly ritual and was necessary in getting him to settle down to sleep. It was a quiet night: there was neither wind nor rain. All of the windows were closed - a task I had accomplished, along with drawing all of the curtains, earlier that evening. There was nobody lurking about outside the house, which is situated on a cul-de-sac.
    The tour of the garden completed, I got the dog settled in his basket in the kitchen and retired to one of the ground floor bedrooms to turn in for the night. As I lay in bed reading, it suddenly dawned on me how absolutely quiet it was. As a townie, I'm used to a bit of traffic noise at night, although I had slept in this house on countless occasions throughout my youth and adolescence and was therefore somewhat accustomed to the stillness of the countryside at night. However, this was the first time I had ever slept there alone, which may have subconsciously played on my nerves. Suddenly, I began to hear a noise, a very faint - but distinctly audible - muttering, which sounded like distant voices carrying on a conversation that I was unable to discern no matter how hard I strained to listen. It sounded like a television or a radio that had been left on at low volume in another room. There was a television in the bedroom I was in, but it was very definitely switched off. The other TVs in the living-room and sitting-room were also switched off, as was the radio in the kitchen, and there was nothing else in the house to make that noise, of that I am quite certain. It very definitely sounded like two or more people talking to each other. In fact, I even got up to look out of the window to make sure there was nobody out in the front garden carrying on a conversation at one o'clock in the morning! The house has exterior in-ground lights that lead up to the front door and remain on at night, meaning I could see the front garden quite clearly; needless to say, there was no-one there. Perplexed, I got back into bed and tried to go to sleep. The noise, which was very faint, and yet very real, continued for about 15 minutes, before stopping as abruptly as it had started. The following night, the same thing happened at roughly the same time, which is what makes me think there might be something strange about it. Strangely, the dog didn't react to the noise on either occasion, which is unusual because he barks at the slightest breeze, never mind disembodied voices blathering on in the middle of the night! I have since slept in this house on several occasions (never by myself), but the experience has yet to recur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

A question I would want to ask is when you saw the figures at the window why did it seem to you that they were not "just people"?

See, I feel like you are really saying you saw people in a place where you did not expect people to be.

Well i was the only one in the house,and I'm sure of it.I had the keys,I unlocked the door myself that morning.I also locked myself in from the inside.I can assure you too that I don't wander down o connel St of an afternoon and see hundreds of people who may or may not be dead.You see the thing about living people is,they look like living people.We have facial features,we interact with one another.What i seen that day was a very dark,but very noticable outline of an adult and a child.A sillouhette,no facial features. No movement.Nothing.
    My boss got a better look obviously, and is certain that the 'adult' of the figures was female.What im certain of is that it wasnt a prank,he wasn't that Ricky gervais 'fun' kind of boss.He was a cranky c*nt by all accounts, so horseplay can safely be ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Are we allowed to be skeptical on the thread? I didn't see a MOD note about it...
    Personally I feel that being skeptical is not in keeping with the spirit (:o) of this thread. And I say that as a complete skeptic who enjoys reading this thread.
    Of course, I have never seen a ghost (though I have had one terrifying experience that I can only explain by "my mind playing tricks") but I like reading about people who say they have experienced something.
    Why don't you share your experience, I'd like to hear it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Well i was the only one in the house,and I'm sure of it.I had the keys,I unlocked the door myself that morning.I also locked myself in from the inside.I can assure you too that I don't wander down o connel St of an afternoon and see hundreds of people who may or may not be dead.You see the thing about living people is,they look like living people.We have facial features,we interact with one another.What i seen that day was a very dark,but very noticable outline of an adult and a child.A sillouhette,no facial features. No movement.Nothing.
    My boss got a better look obviously, and is certain that the 'adult' of the figures was female.What im certain of is that it wasnt a prank,he wasn't that Ricky gervais 'fun' kind of boss.He was a cranky c*nt by all accounts, so horseplay can safely be ruled out.

Holy crap that gave me the shivers :eek:

If we were to say OK then and I accepted all this.

What would be the implications if something like what you have described were possible?

It feels like you are not willing to commit to saying it was a ghost but are fully committed to the idea that it 100% could not have been people.

i dont know what a ghost is and but i can only go by the data. its clear you can hear people, but there wasnt anyone there. you tell me what that means because as i already said, i dont know what to make of it.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Personally I feel that being skeptical is not in keeping with the spirit (:o) of this thread. And I say that as a complete skeptic who enjoys reading this thread.

Why don't you share your experience, I'd like to hear it. :)

I will come round to it. Just not yet.

Reading a few posts (that I kind of want to reply to first before I go into my experience much) I felt my skin crawl and tears well up as people describe the "other" as a black shape or shadow because that is exactly my experience and is shared by so many other humans that I don't think it can be brushed off or dismissed easily. This is why I like to push for descriptions and why I like to lean heavily on the idea that eyes cannot see something that isn't physically there.

It seems very striking to me that when people do "see" a ghost they are often alone or stressed out or simply not paying attention only to find themselves startled by the appearance of "something". That something is often described with vague detail and sounds like a dark shape or shadow.

Where I come from it is not uncommon to have really foggy/misty mornings and one curious effect of being out in such weather is that a person can sometimes see their own shadow cast in the mist. Sometimes close, sometimes far away. It can be startling at first but fun once you realise that it's just you and if you wave or jump the shadow does the same...

Anyways, my feeling is that even when we are alone we have ourselves for company. I think that sometimes we get so deep in our own thoughts or so deep in ideas, like being alone in the spooky house that the brain attempts to use the senses (sight and sound especially) to reach out for, well, ourselves, basically. I believe that the shadows we see and the footsteps we hear, the touch of a mysterious hand in the dark or the feeling of breath so close, yet so far away, is actually the brain trying to reach itself. This is why we can't see the "other" in any great detail... I imagine if we could it would be like looking right at a mirror image.

Regarding the sounds in Supervalu though. I still think that it was just plain old humans doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I was just reading back over my previous post when I suddenly remembered something else that happened to me about two years ago. I was house-/dog- sitting for a relation while they were away on holiday. Their house (a bungalow) is located in the middle of the country with no other houses nearby. On my first night there all was well, but on the second and third nights something strange occurred. Before going to bed, I had taken the dog on a circuit of the garden, which basically involved walking around the exterior of the house while he sniffed everything and peed on everything and did what dogs usually do. This was part of the dog's nightly ritual and was necessary in getting him to settle down to sleep. It was a quiet night: there was neither wind nor rain. All of the windows were closed - a task I had accomplished, along with drawing all of the curtains, earlier that evening. There was nobody lurking about outside the house, which is situated on a cul-de-sac.
    The tour of the garden completed, I got the dog settled in his basket in the kitchen and retired to one of the ground floor bedrooms to turn in for the night. As I lay in bed reading, it suddenly dawned on me how absolutely quiet it was. As a townie, I'm used to a bit of traffic noise at night, although I had slept in this house on countless occasions throughout my youth and adolescence and was therefore somewhat accustomed to the stillness of the countryside at night. However, this was the first time I had ever slept there alone, which may have subconsciously played on my nerves. Suddenly, I began to hear a noise, a very faint - but distinctly audible - muttering, which sounded like distant voices carrying on a conversation that I was unable to discern no matter how hard I strained to listen. It sounded like a television or a radio that had been left on at low volume in another room. There was a television in the bedroom I was in, but it was very definitely switched off. The other TVs in the living-room and sitting-room were also switched off, as was the radio in the kitchen, and there was nothing else in the house to make that noise, of that I am quite certain. It very definitely sounded like two or more people talking to each other. In fact, I even got up to look out of the window to make sure there was nobody out in the front garden carrying on a conversation at one o'clock in the morning! The house has exterior in-ground lights that lead up to the front door and remain on at night, meaning I could see the front garden quite clearly; needless to say, there was no-one there. Perplexed, I got back into bed and tried to go to sleep. The noise, which was very faint, and yet very real, continued for about 15 minutes, before stopping as abruptly as it had started. The following night, the same thing happened at roughly the same time, which is what makes me think there might be something strange about it. Strangely, the dog didn't react to the noise on either occasion, which is unusual because he barks at the slightest breeze, never mind disembodied voices blathering on in the middle of the night! I have since slept in this house on several occasions (never by myself), but the experience has yet to recur.

Great story! Did you ever ask your relative about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Rasmus wrote: »
    Great story! Did you ever ask your relative about it?

I did mention it in passing to one of my relatives who grew up there, but not to the householders themselves. Their [the relative's] reaction was quite nonchalant; they were neither shocked nor thought me crazy. Make of that what you will!

Regarding the sounds in Supervalu though. I still think that it was just plain old humans doing that.

Thats exactly what it sounds like to me - though basically you are telling me that I'm being lied to by superquinn and the centre management who all claim there was no staff there.

The place was locked up (superquinn management) and that there definitely was no scheduled access arranged to the supermarket for that particular night (centre management). I personally take what both management have said to be their honest response, which is why it leaves me wondering just where the sounds on the video were coming from. Im sorry if that doesnt fit with whatever outlook you have on the -paranormal but insisting there were people there where there wasn't (according to the two parties who would know) isnt being skeptical. thats being cynical.

Thats exactly what it sounds like to me - though basically you are telling me that I'm being lied to by superquinn and the centre management who all claim there was no staff there.

The place was locked up (superquinn management) and that there definitely was no scheduled access arranged to the supermarket for that particular night (centre management). I personally take what both management have said to be their honest response, which is why it leaves me wondering just where the sounds on the video were coming from. Im sorry if that doesnt fit with whatever outlook you have on the -paranormal but insisting there were people there where there wasn't (according to the two parties who would know) isnt being skeptical. thats being cynical.

I think it's very easy in these kind of conversations for folks to get very defensive. "Are you saying I/he/she/person who never lies is LYING?"

Nobody is saying anyone is lying.

Just because Superquinn Management and Centre Management think something is true does not mean it is true.

The Management could just be wrong. I'm not saying they are lying but why can't the answer be simply that there is someone in there who is not supposed to be in there?

It's not really a question of being cynical or skeptical. I guess that the shopping center is a relatively large building and the sounds being heard are things that, if we are being honest, could easily be made by humans. The music is caused by an electrical appliance. Then we hear talking (possibly radio?). So it's easy enough to just think well someone is in there and they turned on the music and turned it off... maybe they were talking...

They talk about hearing "cheering" and smelling like an incense (smoke)...

At the end we can hear the music again. Judging by the decoration on the Superquinn doors and walls (?) of the centre I would say this happened around halloween?

Could you not have either teens messing around (as they like to do especially around Halloween) OR could there be someone in there setting up Halloween displays in the shops/Superquinn. They might have music on when they do that.

I don't understand why these are not reasonable explanations. Just because the management said "nobody was in there"?

Again, not saying they are lying. It sounds like they are wrong though.

I think it's very easy in these kind of conversations for folks to get very defensive. "Are you saying I/he/she/person who never lies is LYING?"

Nobody is saying anyone is lying.

Just because Superquinn Management and Centre Management think something is true does not mean it is true.

The Management could just be wrong. I'm not saying they are lying but why can't the answer be simply that there is someone in there who is not supposed to be in there?

It's not really a question of being cynical or skeptical. I guess that the shopping center is a relatively large building and the sounds being heard are things that, if we are being honest, could easily be made by humans. The music is caused by an electrical appliance. Then we hear talking (possibly radio?). So it's easy enough to just think well someone is in there and they turned on the music and turned it off... maybe they were talking...

They talk about hearing "cheering" and smelling like an incense (smoke)...

At the end we can hear the music again. Judging by the decoration on the Superquinn doors and walls (?) of the centre I would say this happened around halloween?

Could you not have either teens messing around (as they like to do especially around Halloween) OR could there be someone in there setting up Halloween displays in the shops/Superquinn. They might have music on when they do that.

I don't understand why these are not reasonable explanations. Just because the management said "nobody was in there"?

Again, not saying they are lying. It sounds like they are wrong though.

I think the incense bit came from the bakery - though it was only on one particular spot (the two boys were from RTE). you can clearly hear the cheering etc though.

I cant see how you reckon the manager of the supermarket and the manager of the centre would not be aware if anyone was on the premises. if anyone would know, those two individuals would. Its a bit blasé of you to assume they dont know what they're on about. either that or you are indeed accusing them of lying.

To explain the tannoy system to you - again this explanation comes directly from the management so I assume they know their own tannoy system. There is no radio component and the system is either on or off - unless it is manipulated manually. the same goes for the volume (which was changing, as you can hear in the video) - unless someone was in there, then the volume shouldnt have been changing.

personally, I dont know the cause. You can believe what you wish, but I dont think the management are so incompetent they dont know when someone is in their own shopping centre (centre management) or supermarket (superquinn). If that explanation suits you though, then work away. As I say though, it would be a very cynical attitude to take.

Because the alarms were on ... again verified by superquinn management and their head office.
    Could you not have either teens messing around
    Inside a locked up and alarmed supermarket inside a locked up shopping centre? I dont think so.

I think the incense bit came from the bakery - though it was only on one particular spot (the two boys were from RTE). you can clearly hear the cheering etc though.

I cant see how you reckon the manager of the supermarket and the manager of the centre would not be aware if anyone was on the premises. if anyone would know, those two individuals would. Its a bit blasé of you to assume they dont know what they're on about. either that or you are indeed accusing them of lying.

To explain the tannoy system to you - again this explanation comes directly from the management so I assume they know their own tannoy system. There is no radio component and the system is either on or off - unless it is manipulated manually. the same goes for the volume (which was changing, as you can hear in the video) - unless someone was in there, then the volume shouldnt have been changing.

personally, I dont know the cause. You can believe what you wish, but I dont think the management are so incompetent they dont know when someone is in their own shopping centre (centre management) or supermarket (superquinn). If that explanation suits you though, then work away. As I say though, it would be a very cynical attitude to take.

Because the alarms were on ... again verified by superquinn management and their head office.

Inside a locked up and alarmed supermarket inside a locked up shopping centre? I dont think so.

I am not being cynical at all. I don't understand why saying that the management people could have made a mistake or an incorrect assumption is equated to accusing them of lying or saying that they are incompetent.

I think anyone who has been around long enough would know that people make mistakes and incorrect assumptions all the time. It doesn't make them bad people, liars or incompetent fools. It's just human nature. I don't think I am being cynical at all when I say "people are sometimes mistaken". Being mistaken is a regular thing for people.

It's like I am offering up genuine questions but you are dismissing them off hand with the further implication that I am some kind of a-hole for even suggesting that the management could mistakenly, but honestly, believe that the place was empty.

I'd say over the course of a human life we see WAY more events where someone is wrong about something than we do of paranormal events.

In addition to that we would have to say that the instances of an electrical appliance being switched on by a person outnumber the instances of apparent "spontaneous" switching by a considerable distance.

Statistically speaking, the odds that someone is in the building, unknown to management, and is using the tannoy system are probably much better than the odds that "something", not human, is using the tannoy.

It IS possible for electrical appliances to exhibit strange "behavior" but this is generally attributed to electricity from the mains or battery, static and (if the appliance can use remote controls) infrared light.

That's two pretty reasonable explanations before we need to get down to even considering the paranormal.

I'm not saying anyone is lying just saying that in this situation you are maybe just a bit too willing to disregard actual good, reasonable, explanations.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what you mean by "hierarchy". My Dad seems to be the most "susceptible" (if that is even the right word) to stuff like that, and my Gran (on his side) even more so. The people who have claimed to see her include my Dad's sister. I know that he never told anyone what he saw, as he didn't want to come across as a weirdo, and she just came into the house one day and said to him, "hate to tell you this but you have a ghost" and he was like, "er...yes I know!" :pac: A number of years ago, my uncle (on my Mum's side) appeared to see her. He was quite shaken. They were sitting outside on the decking and he saw a woman of about 5ft in height and wearing what looked like a black shawl going through the glass door into the sitting room. He got quite upset and asked my Dad repeatedly, "did you see a woman just now?". I'm fairly sure it wasn't his imagination - he's an alcholic so we can rule out drink lol. A guy I was seeing for a while said that he saw her standing just outside our house near the ditch, same description but nothing "floaty" or anything. In fact I think he thought it was a person, but considered it strange given it was so late and we live in a very rural area.

A friend and myself had a weird experience when I left my phone behind after she's been in my house. I'll put my hands up and say I don't know if this was anything untoward or simply a crossed signal but basically, she was at my house for a while and left. I left around half an hour later to go to the shops with my parents. On the way down, I couldn't find my phone in my bag so used my Dad's phone to call it. It rang, and what sounded like my friend answered and said "your phone is here". I figured she'd gone off with it by mistake but when I called down to her, she didn't know what I was talking about. Went back to the house (which was, and had been the entire time, empty) and my phone was on the mantel over the fire. No call log. That was the only thing that unnerved me tbh. The other incidents didn't.

I think my first time, I was around 14 and there was just a shape in my room, looked like someone huddled over between the door hinge and the shelves. I sat up in bed trying to figure out what it was for ages and eventually got so tired that I just didn't care any more and pulled the duvet over my head and went to sleep! :D In the morning, there wasn't anything there.

I was bathing our sick dog one evening and carrying her from the bathroom to my bedroom. As I turned out of the bathroom to walk to the bedroom with the dog, I saw a small woman dressed in black walking into my room. I didn't think, oh there she is. It's a funny thing about these experiences, that the mind always goes to the most rational, doesn't it? So sure was I that we had an intruder, a real life, solid woman and not a wispy ghost, that I kicked the door in so that I could see the entire room before stepping cautiously in. There was nobody there of course.

I've heard footsteps when I am in the house alone. Slow, steady like men's new shoes on tiles. First time it happened I ran out of the house as I thought it was an intruder - Mam came home and I was in the front garden lol

My brother has had someone pulling the duvet up on him and tucking him in :P He informed my mother he was too old to be tucked in and she didn't need to bother coming in to make sure. LOl, we just let him believe it was her as he'd shít himself otherwise.

My most recent was shortly after our beloved dog had passed away and there was a lot of upset and sadness in the house. She simply walked down the hall in front of me. I don't know how to describe it in any kind of satisfactory way. It's not like she appeared and then vaporised, like the way you'd see in a horror movie. The only way I can describe it is by asking, do you remember the moment you fall asleep and wake up? Probably not, it's more like you just find yourself being awake. It's like she was there, but I dont remember her not being there and then appearing. And then she was gone, but I don't remember her going. You do second guess yourself though.

There's been other small stuff like the sound of things falling but nothing there etc but those are not exactly solid experiences!

By hierarchy I guess I meant do you have a "head" of the family. Someone who everyone else maybe looks up to most of all. Someone who is respected more than everyone else.

The reason I ask is because it's not uncommon for us to subconsciously adopt beliefs and values from such figures. So if your entire family is experiencing this ghost then its a genuine question that you might be taking on the belief of a family "head" or "elder".

The experience of the dark kind of "shadow" figure does match with my experience, and with the experience of many others too.

The stories still give me a chill but I am of the quite strong belief that these apparitions or shadows are actually projections from within ourselves rather than something external.

If you think about how our bodies work. The brain can "see" something that is not there but the eyes can't do that. The ears pick up soundwaves/vibrations but the brain can "hear" things without the need for that physical aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Orubiru why don't you post here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1077

Rather than pulling this thread off-topic? This thread is to discuss your Ghostly experiences. You're not doing that you're trying to pull apart everyones stories, that's not this thread is about.

Loughc wrote: »
    Orubiru why don't you post here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1077

Rather than pulling this thread off-topic? This thread is to discuss your Ghostly experiences. You're not doing that you're trying to pull apart everyones stories, that's not this thread is about.

Sorry! Yes, I will look at the other forum. Apologies and thanks!

I am not being cynical at all. I don't understand why saying that the management people could have made a mistake or an incorrect assumption is equated to accusing them of lying or saying that they are incompetent.

I think anyone who has been around long enough would know that people make mistakes and incorrect assumptions all the time. It doesn't make them bad people, liars or incompetent fools. It's just human nature. I don't think I am being cynical at all when I say "people are sometimes mistaken". Being mistaken is a regular thing for people.

It's like I am offering up genuine questions but you are dismissing them off hand with the further implication that I am some kind of a-hole for even suggesting that the management could mistakenly, but honestly, believe that the place was empty.

I'd say over the course of a human life we see WAY more events where someone is wrong about something than we do of paranormal events.

In addition to that we would have to say that the instances of an electrical appliance being switched on by a person outnumber the instances of apparent "spontaneous" switching by a considerable distance.

Statistically speaking, the odds that someone is in the building, unknown to management, and is using the tannoy system are probably much better than the odds that "something", not human, is using the tannoy.

It IS possible for electrical appliances to exhibit strange "behavior" but this is generally attributed to electricity from the mains or battery, static and (if the appliance can use remote controls) infrared light.

That's two pretty reasonable explanations before we need to get down to even considering the paranormal.

I'm not saying anyone is lying just saying that in this situation you are maybe just a bit too willing to disregard actual good, reasonable, explanations.

you arent offering genuine explanations - youre telling me that the people who run the place obviously made a mistake, all because you - like myself - have no explanation for the sounds in the video bar that someone must have been there.

I'll say it once more for you - there wasnt anyone in the supermarket at the time as verified by security cameras and the fact the alarm system didnt go off - which itself was verified by not just the local supermarket management, but their head office.

Or maybe the whole lot of them are incompetent and you have the correct answer? I am all for skeptical analysis but when it completely ignores the facts, it gets a bit tedious bothering to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

irish gent wrote: »
    I have recently experienced the 11:11 everytime I look at the digital clock.
    But I put it down to my body clock .Untill my phone was plugged in a charging when the light came on and I looked at the clock, it was reading 11:11 that freaked me out. I look up the net and found that alot of people find this happens. .They're saying its connected to a sprint world..Anyone experience this ..

that's been happening me now for the last 6 months its quite unnerving I would love to know the significance of it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

By hierarchy I guess I meant do you have a "head" of the family. Someone who everyone else maybe looks up to most of all. Someone who is respected more than everyone else.

The reason I ask is because it's not uncommon for us to subconsciously adopt beliefs and values from such figures. So if your entire family is experiencing this ghost then its a genuine question that you might be taking on the belief of a family "head" or "elder".

The experience of the dark kind of "shadow" figure does match with my experience, and with the experience of many others too.

The stories still give me a chill but I am of the quite strong belief that these apparitions or shadows are actually projections from within ourselves rather than something external.

If you think about how our bodies work. The brain can "see" something that is not there but the eyes can't do that. The ears pick up soundwaves/vibrations but the brain can "hear" things without the need for that physical aspect.

Interesting theory but not one that I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Not sure if I posted in this thread before so apologies if I'm repeating myself.
    I've never really had any big experience myself , other than a very strong feeling that I'm not alone, where I have gone cold and the hairs on my neck stand up.
    A cousin of mine had a weird experience in her house. Her dog who is usually very placid, began to growl at the sofa and back out of the room one evening. Then he ran back in and began darting back and forth at the sofa, as if someone was playing with him. She was a bit freaked out by this, but didn't think anymore of it until she met up with a man she knows who is a bit of a psychic/ healer. She sounded him out on it, just to see what he made of it. Straight away he told her that was your Uncle J paying a visit, and showed her how he was waving his hands in the air, messing with the dog. Her Uncle J is my Dad. He always used to drive the dog nuts at home playing with it, waving his hands in the air. To say I came over all cold is an understatement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

73Cat wrote: »
    Not sure if I posted in this thread before so apologies if I'm repeating myself.
    I've never really had any big experience myself , other than a very strong feeling that I'm not alone, where I have gone cold and the hairs on my neck stand up.
    A cousin of mine had a weird experience in her house. Her dog who is usually very placid, began to growl at the sofa and back out of the room one evening. Then he ran back in and began darting back and forth at the sofa, as if someone was playing with him. She was a bit freaked out by this, but didn't think anymore of it until she met up with a man she knows who is a bit of a psychic/ healer. She sounded him out on it, just to see what he made of it. Straight away he told her that was your Uncle J paying a visit, and showed her how he was waving his hands in the air, messing with the dog. Her Uncle J is my Dad. He always used to drive the dog nuts at home playing with it, waving his hands in the air. To say I came over all cold is an understatement!!

I'm not being funny here, but the dogs reaction sounds like a mouse behind the settee. This is the time of year they come in.

Kettleson wrote: »
    I'm not being funny here, but the dogs reaction sounds like a mouse behind the settee. This is the time of year they come in.

This happened during the summer months, though if it happened in winter it would be a plausible explanation. It still doesn't explain what the psychic said though ! Down to knowing my Dad's name. That he was her uncle. Also, my cousin herself had no idea herself that is how he used to play with the dog at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

73Cat wrote: »
    This happened during the summer months, though if it happened in winter it would be a plausible explanation. It still doesn't explain what the psychic said though ! Down to knowing my Dad's name. That he was her uncle. Also, my cousin herself had no idea herself that is how he used to play with the dog at home.

Hang on, you said she knew the psychic?

• Advertisement

Dair76 wrote: »
    Hang on, you said she knew the psychic?

She knows him in passing, he wouldn't know her family history.

Ah here I thought this was a thread where you could just post your stories/ experiences. Third degree much? !!

Advertisement