Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sniperviper

Sorry I havnt been back on folks really have not had the time but here's the other experience we had.
    As I said we where replacing pipe work and moving along the passage ways following the pipe work we came to a wall that had a hole knocked in it and the pipework was put through the wall and continued on down another passage way.

There was also a hole made in the wall for anybody to crawl through that was working on the pipe work so I crawled through the hole and set up my lights and got my tool box and started to work my boss my working with me he was on the opposite side of the wall.
    we where chatting away and working the boss went up to make a phone call.

After 10 minutes or so I heard what I thought was my boss coming back I could hear his tool box opening and tools been moved about like he was looking for something. I then heard pipe been moved banging together at this point I shouted in asking did he need a hammer (slagging him off its a joke any tradesman out there is familiar with) as he was making so much noise.
    I got no reply so I called his name out and still no reply and there was no more sound of any kind the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I started to feel like I just wanted to get out of the place.

I had no choice but to look through the hole in the wall and I did and there was nobody there but my boss's tool box was open every tool he had was on the floor and the pipe we had brought in was down the far end of the passageway I had left it beside my boss's tool box it was now 15 feet away from where I left it originally.

I got through the hole as quick as I could and made my way to the cellar door as I turned the corner at the end of the passageway my boss was coming down the steps I asked him had he been down here he said "no" I told him what had happened and I went down and showed him. The boss thought I was having a laugh and had done it myself to wind him up I told him I absolutely had not done this as a joke. As we where having this discussion we heard a noise coming from the other side of the wall though the hole it sounded like something been dragged we both stopped talking and just looked at each other then looked through the hole there was nothing there the lights where on and we could see to the end of the passage way.

I asked the boss did he hear that he said yes we both said we would look through the hole together see if we could see anything which we did but nothing was there only the lights some pipe and fittings and my tool box.

The boss climbed through the hole fist then I followed I was just saying the words a I stood up that "I wasn't working this side on my own" when the lid on my tool box flipped open on its own we both screamed then the tool box slide on the floor not very far but it moved on its own neither myself or my boss where close enough to have kicked it or moved it in fact when the lid opened on it own we both moved toward the hole in the wall and away from the tool box so the tool box was 4 or 5 feet away from both of us.

My boss got through the hole first and I was basically pushing him through it.As I climbed through it somebody or something laughed in my ear I fell through the hole my boss stopped and helped pick me up I said did you hear that laugh but he didn't reply just got me to my feet and pushed me down the passageway and up the steps. we got out of the church locked the door got into the van and drove back to the boss's house.I asked him again did you hear the laughing this time he answered and said no but I did see something as he was picking me up off the floor.
    He said he looked through the hole in the wall as he was getting me to my feet the light was on and he could see there was nothing there but he said all of a sudden a dark figure stood in front of the light and blocked part of it out he said it looked as if a person was standing there he didn't see a face or anything like that just a dark figure that looked like a person.
    As he got to the end of the passageway before we turned the corner he said he looked back and could see the figure and that it was on our side of the wall in a split second he said it just disappeared.

We where both so afraid that we never went back to the church to finish the work my boss got his brother and his friend to get our tool and lights back they said nothing happened to them while collecting them.
    The boss also got another company in to finish off the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

That is so creepy. Thanks for sharing the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Been reading this thread a bit and its great , i have a story myself been kinda happening for a long time and i haven't really told anyone the whole thing in full because i'm still not sure if its real or I'm mad.

Ok here it goes, When i was small 3-4 maybe a little younger i often used to see the figure of a tall willowy , old man in dreams and sometimes if i was awake and in the dark like on the landing or in my room if the lights were off at night.It was always incredibly vivid and the same , he'd be standing there ramrod straight staring strait ahead towards me , in grey shirt, tie , slacks , scuffed black shoes, a long black trench coat and a tatty black wide brim hat. he never spoke of moved just stood and stared

I saw him less and less as i go older but still in times of stress i see him , most recently about 5 months ago i walked into the kitchen at night maybe 2am and i could see him standing on the deck just outs side the patio double doors.

The really freaky thing with it only happened last year , i was doing some genealogy stuff as part of a college project and going back through an old photo album with my nana , not one id seen before by the way in fact it wasn't even hers it had belonged to her sister who had died a few months before and had been in her attic for years. Anyway going through this album i spot him , in the exact outfit i described , i asked who he was and my nana told me he was her grandfather , she hardly knew him or anything about him other then his name was Bernard (Ben) and that he had fought in WW1, he'd died when she was 5 or so. I was probably the most freaked out I've ever been having seen that photo, i'm 100% sure that he is the man i have been seeing for years and i have no idea why.

I'm an atheist and i would have said i didn't believe in spirits or any of it , would have always rationalized what i saw in the past but after seeing that photo it changed my whole view . I would love to know what he wants and why i see him , I've been thinking of going to a medium for a few months but i'm still skeptical about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jawfin

I'm quite the paranormal sceptic, but I used to often hear people talking in my house, which is in the middle of no-where. Loud enough to make me occasionally go downstairs thinking I had left the TV on or whatever. From time to time, I'd hear my name called, clear as day, and look outside to see if someone was calling me.

Doesn't happen much anymore though. Maybe it was just the madness seeping out or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

We where both so afraid that we never went back to the church to finish the work my boss got his brother and his friend to get our tool and lights back they said nothing happened to them while collecting them.

SniperViper, that is the best story on this board bar none. I've got tingles in the woo from reading it. And I've read it several times ... I'd have moved out of town let alone not go near the church again!

I wonder was the wall you had to crawl through part of the original church or whether someone had put it up to keep the unwanted visitor locked away? Anyway, terrifying and very well written. Thank you.

• Advertisement

SniperViper, that is the best story on this board bar none. I've got tingles in the woo from reading it. And I've read it several times ... I'd have moved out of town let alone not go near the church again!

I wonder was the wall you had to crawl through part of the original church or whether someone had put it up to keep the unwanted visitor locked away? Anyway, terrifying and very well written. Thank you.

Thanks very much for the comments

Im not sure if it was an original wall, there had been a lot of work carried out on the church and a lot of the walls had been patched up and repaired.
    Any where the pipe work had passed through a wall it was patched back up with new brick work.
    nearer the centre of the church under the floor there was some old stone work that was laying in the passage ways which im guessing might have been used to build walls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Hi Guys,

I've been away from this place (boards in general) for a good while and when I came back today I realised I was subscribed to this forum. Given the videos I've been watching lately I had to come in and read peoples' stories. I am an atheist and would always be a "see it to believe" kind of guy but I've always been fascinated with ghosts, UFOs, poltergeists and the likes. Now that may sound somewhat contradictory, it's just the whole religion thing that throws me I guess.

Now you've probably all seen this videos, or been linked to them before but I find them unbelievably interesting.
    I just put a couple of links in but there there are stacks of videos on the guys site dealing with all sorts of Paranormal phenomenon.

Extremely Creepy and Haunted Forests
    Haunted Asylums
    Haunted Roads
    Convincing Ghost Photos

There is also one more where a guy was testing his Xbox Kinect and the black and white mode or night vision mode showed up a shadowy character in the background that wasn't there when using other modes. I actually just went in and tried this myself to see if there was anything lurking around my sitting room! Unfortunately nothing showed up but I shall be checking regularly in future so I can post my own story here.

Apart from some feelings of "vertigo" or dizziness I get when I'm somewhere very different or out of the norm I have no other experiences to talk about.

Watching all of these has definitely turned me from an interested sceptic to a believer and I hope some day soon I'll have my own story to tell.

Now I'll be honest and admit I haven't read all 127 pages just yet but I will be reading a considerable amount tomorrow morning and tonight. (After I watch Game Of Thrones of course).

There are some absolutely brilliant stories on here that I've read so far, I'm not going to name anyone in particular but just hand out an all round thanks to all contributors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The hotel story reminded me of something that happened me years ago. I was living in Limerick and my job needed me to go and manage one of the Cork branches for a month. I would travel down on a Monday morning and they would put me up in Jury's until the Friday, when I would travel back home. So every week I had a different hotel room.

One week, I got a room toward the back of the hotel. I noticed an odd atmosphere the first night but brushed it off. The second night, I woke suddenly and sat up, sure that I could hear footsteps moving across the room. Again, I rationalised it, thinking it must be pipework. There was a constant feeling of someone standing too close to me, in my face, watching me.

On the last night, I was lying awake, unable to sleep, texting one of my friends, when I suddenly heard the sound of water running in the bathroom. I initially thought it must be someone above me flushing a toilet or something, but it was still going strong a few minutes later. So I get up to check (with my heart beating out of my chest), and just when I get to the bathroom door, the noise stops. And when I look in, there is about an inch of water left in the sink, emptying down the hole :eek: I didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The hotel story reminded me of something that happened me years ago. I was living in Limerick and my job needed me to go and manage one of the Cork branches for a month. I would travel down on a Monday morning and they would put me up in Jury's until the Friday, when I would travel back home. So every week I had a different hotel room.

One week, I got a room toward the back of the hotel. I noticed an odd atmosphere the first night but brushed it off. The second night, I woke suddenly and sat up, sure that I could hear footsteps moving across the room. Again, I rationalised it, thinking it must be pipework. There was a constant feeling of someone standing too close to me, in my face, watching me.

On the last night, I was lying awake, unable to sleep, texting one of my friends, when I suddenly heard the sound of water running in the bathroom. I initially thought it must be someone above me flushing a toilet or something, but it was still going strong a few minutes later. So I get up to check (with my heart beating out of my chest), and just when I get to the bathroom door, the noise stops. And when I look in, there is about an inch of water left in the sink, emptying down the hole :eek: I didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night.

What hotel in cork was it?

if its ok to ask :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

What hotel in cork was it?

if its ok to ask :o

Its already in the post ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kamili wrote: »
    Its already in the post ;)

So it is :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yep it was Jury's. The room itself was at the back of the hotel, looking onto some sort of alleyway. There is (or was) a homeless hostel nearby and a lot of winos used to gather in the alley at night, and you'd hear them getting rowdy from the room. In the beginning I thought that this was why I felt unsettled, but it wasn't one of the winos that was messing with the taps in my room :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

I was staying with my aunt in rural Westmeath, a few months before I arrived she was looking after her mother in law whom was suffering from Dementia , she had a bedroom setup for her in her little bungalow and she'd spend the day in the house with her, usually sitting chatting in the kitchen, watching the birds outside etc.

But anyway the mother in law eventually passed away in the house and about 5 months later I was staying in the house with my wife (We were over from America for a few weeks). But anyway, one night we were sat watching TV and my aunt came in and we moved from the living room to the kitchen where she had the radio playing, we were sat chatting and all of a sudden both the TV and Radio switched off at exactly the same time... this was when my aunt decided to tell us it's been happening often and she believes it's the mother in law telling her it's time for bed. She then decided to tell us just a few weeks prior that her granddaughter was in room one night with a friend, and her bedroom door opened completely, from being shut to opening wide, this of course scared the daylights out of her.

There was another night where we were asleep and my aunt said she could hear dishes and plates being banged around in the kitchen, she actually got out of bed as she thought it may have been someone awake getting tea or something, but there was nobody there, this happened three times that night.

The weird thing is, whenever my aunt would sprinkle holy water in the house (She's a very devout Catholic), nothing would happen, literally zero activity. but whenever she'd forget that's when activity would kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

I was staying with my aunt in rural Westmeath, a few months before I arrived she was looking after her mother in law whom was suffering from Dementia , she had a bedroom setup for her in her little bungalow and she'd spend the day in the house with her, usually sitting chatting in the kitchen, watching the birds outside etc.

But anyway the mother in law eventually passed away in the house and about 5 months later I was staying in the house with my wife (We were over from America for a few weeks). But anyway, one night we were sat watching TV and my aunt came in and we moved from the living room to the kitchen where she had the radio playing, we were sat chatting and all of a sudden both the TV and Radio switched off at exactly the same time... this was when my aunt decided to tell us it's been happening often and she believes it's the mother in law telling her it's time for bed. She then decided to tell us just a few weeks prior that her granddaughter was in room one night with a friend, and her bedroom door opened completely, from being shut to opening wide, this of course scared the daylights out of her.

There was another night where we were asleep and my aunt said she could hear dishes and plates being banged around in the kitchen, she actually got out of bed as she thought it may have been someone awake getting tea or something, but there was nobody there, this happened three times that night.

The weird thing is, whenever my aunt would sprinkle holy water in the house (She's a very devout Catholic), nothing would happen, literally zero activity. but whenever she'd forget that's when activity would kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Was just showing this thread to my Dad and he wanted to post one of his stories so here goes.

My dad moved to Nenagh when he was young in the 1970s and moved from a relatively haunted house. We've all experienced something there and psychic tendencies and mediumship run in our family on both sides. His house was built on the border of a rath so they grew up with the stories of the fairies and ghosts as well as having their own experiences.

The one he wants to share is this.

Driving from Riverstown to Nenagh one night around 10pm just on the Nenagh side of Carraig village he saw lights ahead of him on the road. Anyone who knows the road, knows it's pretty isolated now and would have been even more so back then. The road is very narrow and the hedges are high and fitting two cars either side is pretty close. He saw dimmed lights ahead and wondered what the hell was on the road at that hour of the night and moving so slow. He slowed down coming up to the lights but realised that it was in fact a funeral. He rolled down his window and could here the sound of hooves and saw horses in full funeral gear pulling a hearse, coffin inside and about six people behind it.

In his own mind he believed it was a funeral of a local IRA man and at the time, many of them had night time processions. He noticed a car not far behind him which was flashing him like mad but he kept crawling along and waited until the funeral had turned at a crossroads to speed up. The guy overtook him and he recognised the car as one of the fellas he worked with. Dad was raging with him because he was being so disrespectful.

He met the man the next morning at work and was pretty pissed at him that he had been so disrespectful on the road with the funeral ahead. The guy looked at him and asked him what he was talking about and said that there was nothing ahead of him and that Dad had been driving at about 20mph for about 2 miles but he couldn't overtake him.

Dad drove back that evening to his mother and told her the story. She told him it was a sign of something but he won't tell us what. Now before anyone in our family dies, my dad gets signs and knows about 2-3 days before hand. Lights flashing on and off, covers being pulled off him in bed, phone ringing and nobody at the other end, windows and doors opening. Then he gets the call that someone he knows has passed.

His job changed shortly after his experience and he has been with many people as they pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    We bought a house built in 2000 a few years ago and the previous owners happened to tell us in conversation that the wife had had a miscarriage and she said that she thought it was a girl. Odd thing to speak about, I thought, so I forgot about it, until one day, I thought I had left a window open, as there were doors banging upstairs. I went up to check and found everything normal. When I got downstairs, the door banging resumed, at a quicker pace. Now, I'd locked a window I'd found open so there was no draught. I said, out loud, "Stop that!" and the banging stopped at once. Now, I didn't feel scared as I had heard the door banging before and assumed it was the draught from an open window but I always had the feeling that if there was a spirit, that it was a benign one and I remembered the story of the miscarried child. A while later, my daughter's friend came running up to the front door, asking for my daughter to come out to play. I opened the side window, before she had time to knock on the door and told her that my daughter was out, so she said ok and turned on her heel and went back down the drive. I saw her leave the driveway and go back to her nearby house. About five minutes later, a girl (the apparent image of one) ran past the door which leads into the hall from the kitchen. I happened to be standing about six feet from the doorway and clearly saw the girl. For a second, I thought it was my daughter's friend and actually called her name, but it wasn't, as I heard no footfalls or sound. I thought it might be some kind of reflection so I looked out the window again.No-one there. Soooo...I had to get out of there for a while.......I have heard the door banging the odd time since and it always stops if I say so.It's nice to have an obedient spirit about.

Hi Folks
    Ive 2 things that have happened in the last few months I thought id share. The first one my wife was doing a bit of redecorating in our sitting room. we have a double doorway between the sitting room and the kitchen.
    My wife decided she wanted to lock this door and put up some type of curtains and make a feature out of if. So that's what she did when she was finished she took a pic of it on her phone and sent it to her sister.
    Her sisters reply was "I can see a face in that pic" so my wife took a closer look at the pic and she could see a face too. The wife then sent the pic to me without telling me what happened I seen the face straight away and said it to her and that's when she told me what had happened.

I've uploaded the pic so you can have a look yourselves.

This is the second time i've seen this face (well that's what I think it is) in a pic. The pic I took that I seen the face in was in a room upstairs after hearing a banging noise coming from the room I went in and nobody was there so I took 3 pics one after the other in the first pic you can see a face the second 2 pic's there's no face. These pics where taking on a digital camera I went through the pic's on the computer and cant find these three pics that I took unfortunately.
    I keep the camera beside the bed ready to go because we have been having things happen in the house over the last few years most of the things there's an explanation but sometimes things happen and I can't explain them so I'm going to try and get some evidence.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

I used to believe in ghosts etc and strange carry on's until someone explained sleep paralysis, now I can understand it and deal with it...luckily it doesn't happen too often..

The second thing that happened 2 weeks ago.
    The kids where in bed myself and the wife where in bed it was around 12:30 at night she was reading and I had just switched the ipad off and was starting to fall asleep when we heard a loud noise which I am 100% sure was the noise of the toilet seat fall closed onto the toilet (its a wooden seat).
    We both got a fright and then laughed and said it must be one of the kids as we where saying that we could hear the door open we waited to see which child it was but nobody passed our door on there way back to bed.

At this point I got up and looked out the bedroom door down the hall to the bathroom the bathroom door was closed and there was no light coming out from under the door. I was expecting to see the the door open as I had heard it open but didn't hear it close and didn't hear the light switch been turned off.
    I looked in the kids bedroom and they where all asleep so I went down to the bathroom my wife was standing at the bedroom door at this stage I opened the door and there was nobody there the toilet seat was in the down position ready to be sat on the lid of the toilet was in the up position up against the cistern my wife was the last to use that bathroom and she said that's exactly how she left it.
    I went downstairs and checked to make sure there was nobody in the house all windows and doors where locked nothing was out of place I then went back up to the bathroom checked the window was closed which it was I took a couple of pics but nothing showed up. I checked the kids rooms to make sure nothing had fallen off a shelf or I thought maybe one of the kids had brought some toys to bed to play with and they had fallen on the floor but there was nothing on the floor.
    I didn't sleep much that night at all and still don't have an explanation for it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

More likely to be faked than real, just a guy looking for attention most probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Micky 32 wrote: »
    More likely to be faked than real, just a guy looking for attention most probably.

Some random guy who is in new apartment with no social media experience suddenly wants to fake ghost vids and do it poorly too, camera wise.
    I dunno. How can any video ever be real if we call everything fake.
    He wants out of there, not to milk it for all its worth.
    Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Some random guy who is in new apartment with no social media experience suddenly wants to fake ghost vids and do it poorly too, camera wise.
    I dunno. How can any video ever be real if we call everything fake.
    He wants out of there, not to milk it for all its worth.
    Strange.

thats the thing - with todays technology there is no way to say something hasnt been faked. First hand experience is the only option, and even then no-one will believe you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

So I have finally read every post on this thread. One of the best threads on boards.

I already shared one of my Dad's experience, but this one happened not so long ago. Not one of my own experiences but a very close friend and was present.

Around the end of Sept just gone, by friend told me that she woke up one night by three really loud bangs on her door. She quickly jumped out of the bed, and ran to her sitting room window to look out to see who it was. She realised there was no-one there. Before she went back into bed, and glanced at the digital clock in the room, and realized it 4:17, she had to get up to bring her daughter to school, so just went straight back to sleep.

The next day while I was present, she was telling her Dad (who doesn't live in the family home), about what happened to her the night before. Her Dad went grey in the face and said the exact same thing happened to him, but that he didn't end up going back to sleep cos he had to get up not so long after for work.

About a week later, I was present then too, she was telling her mother the story. Her Mam turned around and said that it someone looking for a prayer, and on that particular night she had not heart the banging, as she lived in the same house also.

Two week after telling her Mam the story, her Mam died quite suddenly at home, she was only 51.

I have heard the old Irish wife tales about the three knocks been a warning for death, and I really don't know what to make of this, but it is quite strange all the same, even if it was just a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

boneless wrote: »
    I'm one of those persons who does not believe in spirits or ghosts. I have to state this first off.

In Edinburgh a few years ago, I went on one of those walking tours of the haunted sites. Well, to cut a long story short, we ended up in Greyfriars Kirkyard, in the tomb of one Black MacKenzie; an evil sod by all accounts.

This tomb had a rep for poltergeist and other activity. Me being the unbeliever was having a good time watching the reactions of those around me. When the tour was over I went back to the pub with a few people for a pint or three... Everyone was staring at me as soon as we got into the light. I had a long scratch down my right cheek and the beginnings of a bruise under my eye. I did not feel a thing in the tomb or anywhere along the tour.

When I got back to the hostel, much to my surprise, when I took the jeans off there was what looked like a hand print on my ankle; as if someone had gripped it real tight. It freaked me out a wee bit!!

It took weeks for the scratch and 'print' to disappear.

I have been back to the place a few times since but have had no other 'injuries', but one night I was convinced I was followed around the graveyard but could not see anything or anyone else when I turned.

Hope you don't mind an unbeliever posting, but I think it might interest you all.

I love those Ghost Tours in Edinburgh.Im pretty sure I was on that exact tour.Great story,chilling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

My Aunt was 36 years old when she died of a massive heart attack. It was an untimely death and she is still missed as much today nearly 12 years on. On the morning of her funeral i went into my mothers room for something and i was engulfed by the smell of incense. I was young enough but i recognised the smell instantly from my grandad's funeral. I called my mother & sister into the room and the 3 of us were overawed by this strange smell. I always think about that time as we have never been able to explain what caused the smell. Throughout her life my aunt was always a joker and i like to think she took that trait into her next life. If It was her presence that morning it was exactly the sort of benign stunt that she would have laughed at. Occasionally i think about that time and am comforted by it.

I experienced another more sinister situation when i was about 12 or 13. Myself and my friends went to a waste ground and were messing around getting up to your usual pre puberty mischief. It was about teatime in the summer and it was one of the them nights were the sun was going to shine until about 9 or 10 in the evening. One of my friends bought an ouija board from a fella at a car boot sale. He of course thought he knew everything about it so i preceded to watch but not join in and adopted the stance of a slightly scared skeptic. So the 2 lads initiated the session and i thought it was a bit of a joke with them moving what looked like a paper weight around the board. From watching the conversation and reaction of the others i established that there was someone called Michael that they were communicating with. The conversation consisted of about 4 or 5 questions. The process was slow but an answer always came. Being the at the curious age of course the next question was "Show us a sign that you are here". There was no answer. The guys didnt move the weight but instead looked into the sky. It had started to rain really heavily and the wind whipped into the enclosed field and whipped dust all around us. My friends that took part were now clearly distressed. We took this drastic change in weather from a mild summer night to wind and rain as the sign we requested. it was a scary experience I have never felt anything like it nor do i want to ever again. I'm always curious about paranormal activity but i would never mess with an ouija board again. We burnt the board and never set foot in the waist ground again. I'm still friends with the guys and when this comes up in conversation it is never in jest. every one of us was frightened that day. I pass the waste ground on the way home from my girlfriends most nights and Its black iron gate nearly always rattles in the wind as a reminder of that day.

Sorry for the long post!
    It's an interesting thread

cheers
    David(Gracehopper)

You were lucky,spirit boards are very dangerous,it could have ended much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Odd experience here.
    It's sometimes said that when someone is going to die, there will be three knocks at the door or window.
    One night about 2am, I was awakened by three strong bangs on my bedroom patio doors. It was so loud that I immediately woke up and sat bolt uptight, and looked towards the doors. There was a shadow of a man just standing there-I was seriously shocked and tried to rationally process what I was seeing.There was a full moon, which was high in the southwestern sky, so it clearly outlined the figure. He stood there motionlessly for perhaps 1/2 a minute, then seemed to melt away.
    I jumped out of bed, and ran to the front door, grabbing a hurley as I opened it.I flicked the outside light switch, but immediately the bulb exploded and there was just moonlight. It was still bright enough to see, so I went out, but there was nothing about.
    I went back to bed, but the experience had somewhat unnerved me, and I found it difficult to sleep.
    In the morning, I mentioned it a the breakfast table, but was told I must have had a nightmare.
    Two weeks later I was suddenly taken seriously ill, and was ill for almost a year. The prognosis at times was not good, but I recovered. A month or so after my last chemo, my father got the same cancer diagnosis, and he died mid-treatment.
    A year or so later, talking with my mother about his death, she referenced the experience I had claimed to have had, and said that although she had outwardly brushed it off, she had worried that it was Death calling at the house, and that when I had gotten ill, she expected me to die. But clearly, she said, Death had either not wanted me or had had a change of mind.
    I still wonder about it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

a few months ago it must have been July or august because of the weather and how bright it was at 6 in the evening , i was was walking home (from Town to Ash town) along the Royal canal , its the route i walk most mornings and evenings in and out of work. Plenty of people about walking dogs , cycling and walking home and it was a fairly mild bright evening.

I was just coming along the stretch through Glasnevin behind the housing estate heading t words broombrige and in one of the, the allotments there and some kinda scrub land that i think there planning on developing more allotments on, Anyway i can see the allotments and the scrub land strait ahead and there a woman in the scrub ground dressed kind of odd, very old style looking dress and a shawl of some sort picking berries or flowers. I could see a few of the other around people looking at her funny probably trying to figure out what she was wearing. Next thing she stands bot upright screams and drops , like shed had a heart attack or something. A guy with a dog who was only about 20 yards from her ran into the scrub to help her i'm assuming but couldn't seem to be able to find her in the long grass , a lady joined him looking for her and by the time i got there two guys on bikes had stopped as well we all saw and heard the same thing but no sign of the woman.

It was a really freaky experience given it was a bright evening and at least 5 people most of whom didn't know each other all said we saw and hear the same thing , i was a bit shook after it to be honest i wont walk that route now in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

This happened to my friend Alistair when he was a kid growing up on the outskirts of Brighton on the south coast of England.
    Up above the coast are the South Downs which are full of prehistoric remnants and ringforts / raths.  One of these is called Cissbury Rings, and on a fine summer evening the lads would cycle out there and mess about till it turned dark.
    Alistair said they were aged about 12 or 13, and there were about ten of them in the gang.  They'd gone up to the top of the Ring which is like a big dish, with the top outer ditch higher than the interior ground.  There are gaps in this outer ditch which are like gates out onto the slope of the hill.
    You're way up above everywhere and you can see for miles across the sea and the surrounding land.  And it's a bit freaky to say the least, because there are deep holes dug into the chalk which you can fall into - this is where the ancient people used to mine for flints.
    They all knew the place had a bit of a reputation so there was a lot of joking and messing about with the lads trying to freak each other out and pretending they could see shapes coming up the slopes. This went on for a while as the evening drew in and it got darker.
    They were nearly all sitting up on the top ditch, when Alistair shouted: Oh My God - lookit that!! and started running.  He hadn't seen anything.  He was just doing it for a laugh to see how many would run too.
    That spooked the whole lot of them so they all lepped off the ditch and ran into the centre of the bowl and then down the slope via the gap in the Ring.  
    Except for one boy.  
    Alistair said he was looking back to see if anyone had been brave enough not to be spooked and he saw this chap suddenly fall back down the outside of the Ring, not into the centre like all the rest of them.
    They all assembled in the field below and this boy eventually turned up looking grey in the face and shaking.  They asked him why he'd gone back down the hill that way - it was much steeper and more dangerous than going out through the gap.
    He said he'd had no choice in the matter.  Just after Alistair had shouted, he went to run with the rest and then he found himself being whipped off backwards, it was like an arm had caught him round the neck and literally thrown him back down the slope.  But there was no-one there when he looked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

a few months ago it must have been July or august because of the weather and how bright it was at 6 in the evening , i was was walking home (from Town to Ash town) along the Royal canal , its the route i walk most mornings and evenings in and out of work. Plenty of people about walking dogs , cycling and walking home and it was a fairly mild bright evening.

I was just coming along the stretch through Glasnevin behind the housing estate heading t words broombrige and in one of the, the allotments there and some kinda scrub land that i think there planning on developing more allotments on, Anyway i can see the allotments and the scrub land strait ahead and there a woman in the scrub ground dressed kind of odd, very old style looking dress and a shawl of some sort picking berries or flowers. I could see a few of the other around people looking at her funny probably trying to figure out what she was wearing. Next thing she stands bot upright screams and drops , like shed had a heart attack or something. A guy with a dog who was only about 20 yards from her ran into the scrub to help her i'm assuming but couldn't seem to be able to find her in the long grass , a lady joined him looking for her and by the time i got there two guys on bikes had stopped as well we all saw and heard the same thing but no sign of the woman.

It was a really freaky experience given it was a bright evening and at least 5 people most of whom didn't know each other all said we saw and hear the same thing , i was a bit shook after it to be honest i wont walk that route now in the dark.

We used to walk home that way after the temple theatre, very very spooky at night especially the tunnel

Advertisement