Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Back when I joined the army (nearly 10yrs ago) i was stationed in Cathal Brugha barracks in Rathimines. The bks is hundreds of years old and was built by the british. Some of the units that were stationed there fought in the 1916 rising against the rebels and over the years there were quite a few english and irish executed here.
    Anyhow, there were 10 of us to a room during recruit training. We used to lock the door at night at lights out so no one could get in. In the middle of the night we all woke up to the sound of one of the lads having a sort of an argument. It was pitch dark so it was very hard to see anything. Anyway, it transpired that he had woken up to a soldier dressed in old bullswool uniform with rifle and bayonet and with a british accent telling him to get up that he was under arrest and was going to the cells. The lad kept saying "what are you on about?" and was telling the soldier to feck off. Next thing he was gone.....
    we turned the light on and the door was still locked. spooky stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Several months ago, I woke up during the night after having a bad dream, must have been 4am ish. I was sleeping on my left side and as I opened my eyes there was what appeared to be a child looking at me whilst I slept. A very polite looking child staring with great curiosity. i only saw him for a split second but I could clearly see he was no treat.
    He had some sort of hat on, sort of like a hat a child would have worn in the early 19th century slightly hanging over his face. He was just on his knees right up in front of me gawking at me. He was a grey color, clearly not of this world as he did not look to be in solid form but I remember his face. Very polite innocent & friendly looking boy. He looked about 8 years old. Not smiling but a very straight face as if he was staring at something on my face. Split second after opening my eyes he vanished...It was an amazing experience.
    I wonder who he was........But I know from doing abit of research that my estate is actually built where an old graveyard use to be. The graves were moved somewhere else so the land could be used for housing development in the 1970's.

If I ever saw him again I would not be afraid at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

Split second after opening my eyes he vanished...It was an amazing experience.

This 'amazing experience' you describe is called a dream. Since he disappeared after you opened your eyes we can only deduce that they were closed when you saw him and therefore could only have been having a vivid dream. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Chriskavo wrote: »
    This 'amazing experience' you describe is called a dream. Since he disappeared after you opened your eyes we can only deduce that they were closed when you saw him and therefore could only have been having a vivid dream. lol

I dont usually see my dreams after i open my eyes...I had my eyes clearly open for maybe half a second at the most when he faded out, I was conscious when i seen the face. He was in no way related to the bad dream I had before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

mondeo wrote: »
    I dont usually see my dreams after i open my eyes...I had my eyes clearly open for maybe half a second at the most when he faded out, I was conscious when i seen the face. He was in no way related to the bad dream I had before hand.

It was a dream trust me - the fact that you were in bed asleep and in the process of waking up. Hallucinations and distortion of images are very common on the emergence of deep sleep. I have lost count of the amount of times that I have mistaken a ruffled curtain or item of clothing for a face or a human figure. It's the oul' sleeping brain playing up with you Im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hapenny

what a great thread, just got to the end of it!! its been keeping me entertained (and spooked!) over the last week or so on my study breaks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Here is an UNSOLVED MYSTERIES EPISODE about a spirit in a house who was trying to communicate with the people who lived there.... EXCELLENT EPISODE!!

Part 1 > http://files.ww.com/files/67149.html

Part 2 > http://files.ww.com/files/67150.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Haven't had a paranormal experience of my own but I'll relay my daughter's experience.

A month after my husband died we got a lab/collie cross puppy which, after two nights of barking I (unforgivably) allowed to sleep in my bed. She still sleeps there along with the other two we've acquired in the meantime. Anyway, one morning about 7.30am my daughter (then aged 12), who slept in a different room, heard the pup barking (the pup had been with us about 2 months at the time) and as I didn't hear her she came into my room and let her into the sitting room thinking she'd settle there. The pup kept barking so my daughter thought she may have needed to be let out so went into the room and saw her Dad sitting in his chair with the pup sitting at his feet. He smiled at our daughter, and said he loved her.to tell me he loved me, and to go back to bed. He also said that the pup was beautiful and would look after us well so he wouldn't need to come back for a while.

At the time I put it down to a dream of my daughter's but she mentioned it again (for the first time since the original event) last Saturday and was adamant that she hadn't been dreaming - she's now 23. Interestingly, she had said before that she talked to her Dad when she went to bed at night but after this experience this stopped.

Was it really her Dad come back to say goodbye and leave her under the protection of a dog who has since proved her worth by felling a person who attacked her not many years later? Or was it just a dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ghost_ie that has to be the nicest post I've read on this thread

Yes its a beautiful story :)

Your husband loves you all and wanted to visit (Dogs,etc can sense spirits MUCH MORE than we can.. If you have a Dog who barks for "No reason",there just might be a reason :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭jgr12

I have only ever had one strange experience, when I was about ten I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, in my room back then my bed was parallel to the door and in line with the door was a side window on the house.

I always had the door open to let light in cos I couldn't sleep otherwise, anyway, I woke up and as I rolled over to face the door I saw a silhouette, in the doorframe, of what looked like a man wearing a wide brimmed hat and what seemed like a shawl/poncho covering most of the outline down to the middle of the legs.

I thought at first I was just seeing things after waking up so I waited a minute to see if it would either go or I would realise what it actually was but it just stayed there in the same position not moving.

I got freaked out and shouted for my dad and he came straight into the room from next door to see what was wrong, after my dad came into the room and I could see the doorframe in full view again there was nothing there, never saw anything again after that and never felt uneasy in the room or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Lots of strange stuff happening in my house all the time,ever since it was built!

Stuff I've experienced myself would be..
    The sound of presses opening and closing in the kitchen,people walking around in there and sounds like they're looking for something in a press,but when you walk in,there's nothing/no one there.
    Sometimes when I'm just walking around cleaning up there's the sound of someone whispering a bit or just going like "shhhhh" but not too sure if that's just the pipes or not:p

Also,my dad died a few years ago,and we have this old wind-up clock hanging on the wall in the hallway,he used to wind it every evening.When he was sick he would often get up and walk the hall some nights aswell,but sometimes all of us can the clock being wound some nights and footsteps in the hall,really weird,but nice in a way.

My mum used to say that before we were born they used to wake up some mornings to find that there was no eggs in the egg box,only broken shells,but no eggs to be seen anywhere,and neither of them were sleepwalkers!

Another story but I don't know if i believe it or not because I didn't see it myself but..
    Years ago my neighbour said he was walking by,and there was a woman standing in our driveway(old enough,wearing old clothes) and she asked him if he seen her son,she was waiting for him to come home with horse..he said she looked completly real,not misty or grey or anything,but no one had ever seen her before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

About 4 nights ago,I was lying in bed. My brother had just come in and was downstairs in the kitchen, mam and dad were next door asleep. The next thing,I could hear a radio playing really loud in my brothers room..I let it go on for a while thinking he would hear it and knock it off, however he didn't. I got up went to his room and realised that the radio was a tiny little portable radio, and had no alarmclock or plug.it ran on batterys. The only way to turn it on was to flick the switch up. Kind of freaked me out but then I just thought, sure it's probably somebody looking over us playing tricks.

Another quick story. A few years ago,again I was just in bed about five mins when I heard the sound of a paper bag being wrapped up into a ball and it was thrown at me in bed,hitting off my shoulder and landing beside me! Turned on the lamp and sure thing there it was,a bag that I had in the room now wrapped in a ball! Got out of my room asap that night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Echizado

I'm really new to the forums so I'm only on page 4 reading this topic and so far so many interesting experiences, I can't wait to read more... so my encounter was in Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico. I live there with my grandma and various family members for about a year and half back in 91 or 92.... I think it was various...

One was hearing la Llorona (a woman who supposedly drowned her children and then jumped off a bridge) crying outside on the street... my grandma was tucking me to bed when we heard crying outside and the eerie voice kept saying over and over "Mis hijos" (my children).

and the other one had to do with silhouettes of dolls, my grandma says that I would run out of the room crying, scared to death and out of breath and then pass out from fright, a couple of times my grandma tells me that she also saw them.....

I don't know if its true or not but my grandma tells me that where I lived in Leon (along with family members) was built over an abandoned cemetery. Kind of freaks me out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newnobody

this is my experience never dared to tell anyone before for fear of considered to be mad:o
    years ago i lived in a very old cottage, was very young had alot of partys and stuff but obiously i upset somone or somthing because after the partys the next day would be dreadful coz stuff kept falling off shelfs radios went sky high in a split second and doors slammed, anyway a few months after i got pregnant and was getting sick of the house and its freeky behaviour, ( my uncle stayed over and got thrown out of bed) was like we wernt wanted there.
    one night was really tired and fell asleep but had an awful dream where an old woman and man appeared and told me if i didnt leave the house they would take my baby, now i was a bit shook up but decided to ignore it and 1 week later i went for my scan and the nurse told me my baby was dead. needless to say i left a few days later, a few days too late, no one lived in the house again every time i pass it i think about it.

I am very sorry for your loss :(

Its hard to know why spirits might get angry BUT ITS BEST TO AVOID GETTING THEM ANGRY IF POSSIBLE... (No limit to what they can do)

I am so sorry :(

Welcome to the site :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newnobody

thanks dude111, i feel so much better i just told my story, i never believed in anything paranormal til the day i went into that house. i definatly agree i would never upset anything like that again
    not worth the hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

It was Halloween night 1997. Me, my brother, my cousin and a friend were drinking around a fire in a silage pit down a long country lane. The pit was just a large concrete square in a farm yard with two six foot walls either side. We lit a bale of straw on fire and were jumping off the walls over the fire, letting off bangers, downing linden village etc. There are no houses around this place for at least half a mile in any direction, and we all know the area backwards. There were always stories about the devil being seen around this whole area, looking at people as they were going about their business. He was always reported to be a black silouhette, who would just watch you. Anyway, our friend had to go home. We all walked down the lane with our bikes, and saw him off at the road, then we cycled back towards the silage pit. Our friend was going in the opposite direction of the lane, and there was no way he could have made it back up the lane past us without us seeing him.

When we got to the pit, the bale of straw was blazing high into the sky. We were making loads of noise, clambering over the gate, lugging our bikes and drink along, when suddenly we all saw a black figure sitting on the wall, staring at the fire. This caught us totally unawares, and we just froze. To our horror, its head snapped around to look at us, staring straight at us. It was completely black, from head to toe. No face, just blackness. Thinking of it now, it was like the wraiths in Lord of the rings. With the intensity of the fire, the whole place was lit up, but this figure was a void of light. Suddenly, the figure jumped down off the wall like a chimpanzee, its agility startled us all. Well you could have built a house with the bricks. We didnt hang around to see what it was going to do, we absolutely legged it. All three of us saw this, it was not just our imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

When I was younger I lived in a house which was built on an old famine graveyard (I didn’t know this at the time) anyway I remember I was very bad to sleep and always afraid and I would often see a figure of what I thought was a soldier with something in his hand pass my bedroom door every night, my parents painted the door and the other doors upstairs, got thicker blinds and that to rule out shadows but it kept happening. I have always put this down to an over active imagination or something

Then one night my mother slept in my room and woke up to find the covers over her head and what felt like a weight on top of her, she started to shout for my dad she heard him coming then the weight lifted and she got the covers off her head before he got in. This could have been sleep paralysis.

I know the people who live in the house now and they always say strange things happen which make them uncomfortable and apparently one of their kids doesn’t like being in the room alone and thinks someone is watching her (my old room)

Now I’m not a great believer I always think there is an explanation for most things but a few years back the people living in the house were getting an extension and the garden done up so the had to do a lot of digging many feet down and they dug up some old bones and medals like army medals.. I think it’s strange but could be a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

none of my experiences with ghosts have ever been negative so far,but that could change over the next six months as i have arranged to stay in mid december in a very haunted pub,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

is there anyone in this forum who believes in ghosts but doesnt believe in god?

if yes how does that work.what do you think about having a house exhumed to rid it of a ghost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Echizado

newnobody wrote: »
    this is my experience never dared to tell anyone before for fear of considered to be mad:o
    years ago i lived in a very old cottage, was very young had alot of partys and stuff but obiously i upset somone or somthing because after the partys the next day would be dreadful coz stuff kept falling off shelfs radios went sky high in a split second and doors slammed, anyway a few months after i got pregnant and was getting sick of the house and its freeky behaviour, ( my uncle stayed over and got thrown out of bed) was like we wernt wanted there.
    one night was really tired and fell asleep but had an awful dream where an old woman and man appeared and told me if i didnt leave the house they would take my baby, now i was a bit shook up but decided to ignore it and 1 week later i went for my scan and the nurse told me my baby was dead. needless to say i left a few days later, a few days too late, no one lived in the house again every time i pass it i think about it.

Sorry about your loss, but that made me feel really scared in simple words, shocking to hear it.

My grandma has had a couple of experiences, at least they are positive, hope you don't mind if I share them? Both of them happened in Seattle....

First one happened back in 2001. My grandma's mother had passed away in Leon Mexico of old age, my grandma was really depress since she couldn't go to Mexico to say good bye, a week later at night my grandma says that her deceased mother had visited her in her room to comfort her, the next day my grandma was smiling and enjoying the day. She says that she feels that it was only thirty second experience but according to her clock it had been over two hours.

The other one happened in 2008. My mother's husband passed away from a heart attack when he was holiday vacation in El Salvador on December 25th. My mom was devastated, a few days later, my grandma had fallen asleep in a strange position and she said that she was having some chest pain and she tells us that my mother's deceased husband had come into her room and moved her into a different position on the bed and my grandma tells us that the pain had gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mellyz

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    some one or thing is bothering me in my own house! I've passed it off for some time now, but last nite there was stuff going on while I was watching tv around midnight.

Hubby was asleep and I was deep into the tv programme and the movements, shadows, and white misty thing kept happening every ten to fifteen mins around the stairs area. I closed my living room door and later in the programme I just felt as if some one was in the room with me for a split second before some movement across in front of my Tv. Now its hard to describe this movement. This is all different to what I would have experienced over the years, like dreams, feelings, premonitions, etc. i'm not afraid, just bothered!

Hi there,

I've been reading loads of the posts here and you seem to have a ridiculous amount of things happen to you Ghostgirl. Do you have any evidence to prove any of this? Since things happen constantly to you I would imagine that it would be quite easy to take some footage or a photo? I'm not having a go at you, just wondering. And indeed to any of the other people posting lots and lots of thing up..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

seannash wrote: »
    is there anyone in this forum who believes in ghosts but doesnt believe in god?

if yes how does that work.what do you think about having a house exhumed to rid it of a ghost?

Very interesting question? think you should start your own thread on it, although ask "who believes in a god?"

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Mate and I were out walkin in his field late tonight...looked over at his house and he said wouldnt it be freaky if you saw somethin go by my window right now! Just before he finished the sentence I saw a black thin figure fly by the 2nd story window as if it was outside the house..freaked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

could have been a bird or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

probably! was the whole length of the window tho if not bigger..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

I live in a relatively new house for the last 9 years built on farmland.
    I have never had a paranormal experience.However after living in the house for about 2 months I have been getting a blast of cigarette smoke straight in to my face,it is not visible but it is exactly like somebody blowing smoke into my face.
    I am the only person that experiences this in any part of the house and it can happen at any time the last being about 6 weeks ago.By the way there are no smokers in my home and it occurs every few weeks.I am not too worried about it but would like to know has anybody had any similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minxy Moo

Opeth wrote: »
    Been reading the paranormal boards for quite a while now and although really interested in the paranormal, haven't had any experience until last night. I was coming home from a friends house at roughly 2 am and was in the passenger side of the car when some one ran across the road infront of our car. This was on the main road going into the town so there was good lighting from houses and street lights but what was strange was that the thing which was most definately a tall, manly shaped figure was not solid but an outline in which was blurred, i could see through this figure as he ran across. It puts me in mind of what they show an invisible person looks like in a film/cartoon. I was fully awake, not drunk/drugged etc and apparently lots of people have died around that spot on the road. Wondering has any one else experienced a blurred figure on the roads?

Yep that exact thing happened to me too. I've only ever seen blurred figures too, never seen actual people. When that happened to me I kindalaughed to myself and turned to my fiance, and asked if he had seen it (He was driving) he said he hadn't. It was clear as day to me, almost a brownish colour. It ran straight across the road. That was a year ago.

The other time was when I was around 12. One night I was in my bed and I couldn't sleep, Every time I was nearly asleep, a felt a strange prodding sensation in my back. Like something was lifting me up a little. After this happened twice I was really freaked out so I got up and read the newspaper a little. After about an hour I decided I was being silly and I went to go to bed, on my way something caught my eye. I looked up our hall way (the light was on in the kitchen and it spilled into the hall so it was quite bright) I saw a dark figure, this one was black. I remember my whole body froze on the spot, I couldn't move. I watched it just walk in front and disappear into the front room. I was so scared I got my dog, brought her into my bedroom with me. She sat up on my bed the whole night sniffing the air, she wouldn't go to sleep.

A friend and I also stayed in a haunted hotel room, that was ah interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I've never had any experiences myself but there were always stories when I was at secondary school that the building was haunted.

The school was orginally a convent and well over a hundred years old. It was a boarding school at one time. The story goes that a student named either Emily or Molly (depending on who you ask) was misbehaving so one of the Nuns locked in a room on the top floor with a skipping rope and ball. Supposadly when she came back later to let Emily/Molly out the girl had hung herself with the skipping rope and the ball was bouncing by itself.

Emily/Molly is supposed haunt the school and I remember whenever anything weird happened like doors creaking or opening by themselves some-one would always say 'there's Emily/Molly'.

It's weird because there is a graveyard on the grounds for Nuns and students( when it was a boarding school) and there are some graves of girls called Molly.

I've had experiences where I'm lying in bed and it feels like some-ones sitting or lying beside me but of course there's no-one there. I'm a bit of a sceptic but I don't know how to explain except it's something to do with how I'm lying. I do know an old man died in my house(not of anything sinister, just old age and illness) but as to whether he's haunting the house I really couldn't say.

Advertisement