Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

pmcmahon wrote: »
    yeah the area was the exact same,except there were no tea cups or anything out where we were drinking,even though i was the only one in the building (tidy ghost),she was wearing like a bed dress type thing,didn't exactly look old fashioned but wouldn't be the new hip thing either,just a greyish white type thing.The bannister was still bent,i remember this because i showed my dad.
    I'd love to find some death certs or something,but i know nothing about the "ghost" in terms or names and dates and such so i wouldn't know where to start.

Erm.... I work in Fitzwilliam and we had guys working on our roof last week some time, but we were all in the building at the time, think it was minor work they were doing.

Was it Fitzwilliam square or place??:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

pookie82 wrote: »
    Erm.... I work in Fitzwilliam and we had guys working on our roof last week some time, but we were all in the building at the time, think it was minor work they were doing.

Was it Fitzwilliam square or place??:eek:

must've been a different place cause the roof had pretty much caved after the bad weather so nobody was in there,i'll actually have to find out if it was place or square,place rings a bell though

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Myself and my family have had a fair few unusual experiences after my mother's death 5 years ago.

At christmas, a couple of months after her death, my 2 sisters, brother, dad and I were sitting in the living room watchin tv. On top of the piano, there are lots of framed photos..... One of my mother, taken when she was about 18. Anyway, the piano is the other side of the room with no-one near it. Mum's picture literally flew off the piano and landed face up on the ground in front of the couch. It didn't just topple over.... it was like someone swiped it from the piano... we put it down to Mum making her presence felt on Christmas day.

A family friend told us how he has a framed picture of himself and mum (taken at a dancing comp they were in years ago) on his wall....directly under the picture was one of those long thin calanders. Anyway, he was sitting there one night and the calander startes swinging back and forth. Kept swinging for about 10 minutes and then stopped dead. He said he felt like it was Mam having a laugh with him.

My niece was born the day before Mam died and was named after her..... since she could talk she regularly has conversations with thin air. Not the normal sort of gibberish that toddlers come out with. To see her, it honestly looks like she is talking to someone we just can't see. She bursts out laughing and squirms like she's being tickled. Now she's a bit older she sometimes starts crying that Granny is no longer here.

Earlier this year, we were on holidays with her and the rest of my sisters kids (with my sis and her husband). She told me one morning that she'd dreamt there was a bad man in the house we were staying in and they all had to come to my room to be safe because that's where the angel was.

A couple of days she told me there was an angel sitting on my shoulder.... and she gave out to me a few times for being the the pool because I was getting the angel wet.

Maybe it's a kid with an overactive imagination but she's come out with sayings only my mother used to say and has some of my mothers mannerisms. I find it a comforting thought too!

My Dad has found several times that when he mislays stuff, he'll wake up the following morning to find the item sitting on the kitchen table!

There's lots of other stuff that I can't remember right now but I will say, before this I was a definite sceptic.... I absolutely believe now. There are people who tell me that these instances are just a manifestation of the mind to cope with the loss of a loved one but I really don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whitesiucra

had some experiences of my own when i was younger. the first one i can remember was me and my younger brother and sister going down the stairs on christmas morning. I was about 10 i think my sister 7/8 and brother 4/5. anyway, as we got to the bottom few steps, i noticed a book/journal that belonged to my father about six foot high in the air. It appeared to be against the wall, as if it were pinned to the wall by its corner. we all seemed to notice it at the same time without anyone saying anything. it was rocking back and forth and it semmed like the moment we all stopped and looked it stayed suspended in the air for a few seconds more, then dropped to the floor. after a few seconds, the thought of the toys waiting for us got us moving again, but even now when i mention it to my bro or sis, they remember it too, and im 26 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whitesiucra

another experience i had about 12 years ago. i was in bed asleep one night and i woke up a noise outside my bedroom door. i didnt know what it was, i just knew something loud enough to wake me had happened. i lay there about to go back asleep, when i began to hear a noise going up and down the landing outside my door. my room is at the top of the stairs at the start of the landing and my parents was at the other end. the noise was like someone dragging a duvet or heavy blanket really slowly up and down the landing. the noise was so loud, impossibly loud for what the noise was, a blanket couldnt be that loud but it sounded like a heavy fabric, slowly and steadily moving. this went on for about 40 mins, with me getting increasingly freaked by what the hell it could be. eventually i crept out of bed and listened, my ear against my door. when i heard the noise go up the landing i burst the door open, turned on the light and ran to my parents room. when i opened the door my mother was sitting bolt upright in bed, completely white faced looking terrified. i was nearly in tears i was so freaked out and i said there was something in the house. she said it was my father snoring, who was in bed beside her unconcious even with us talking, but from looking at her i knew she had been up listening to the same thing and used this crap excuse to stop me from losing it. i went back to bed but didnt sleep a wink. sorry for huge post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

im not into the paranormal stuff but i do believe in ghosts, my experiences are probably just something in my imagination but anyhow this is what ive come across.

my previous job was fitting security systems and i was working in the esb main offices very late(prob 11 12ish) one night, and anyone who is aware of the esb offices on fitzwilliam street would know that it is a huge site consisting of many georgian houses built into one.anyway i was told to go to block c(i think) to have a look at a door the corridor was very dark and i was on me own, so im plugging away fixing the door when the lift just bursts open, i was instantly freaked out,as no one was in the lift, when i went over to the lift the doors closed and it proceeded to head up to the 7th floor(i was on the 2nd) even though there was only 3 or 4 floors:eek:

prob just a faulty lift but scared the sh1t outta me all the same maybe someone that works in the esb could confirm wheather maybe its just me or is the place actually haunted cos the museam thats part of the esb has to be haunted, strange noises at night and very uncomfortable to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

When my gran died I heard a knock on our front door....sitting in a room with 3 other people but no one else heard it.

Talking to my granuncle a while later and he happened to mention that whenever one of his brothers or sisters died he hears a knock on his front door and had heard one at the moment my gran died too.

Anyone ever heard of this? What exactly is doing the knocking.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

When my gran died I heard a knock on our front door....sitting in a room with 3 other people but no one else heard it.

Talking to my granuncle a while later and he happened to mention that whenever one of his brothers or sisters died he hears a knock on his front door and had heard one at the moment my gran died too.

Anyone ever heard of this? What exactly is doing the knocking.....

strange alright my mam had a similar experiance

i was only young at the time but me mother always tells this story, when me granny was dying me granny always used to joke to me mam and say ''ah when i die il haunt ye with the smell of roses'' cos she loved roses, anyway she eventually died and the night of her death(and me mam wont lie about this stuff) me mother was awoken by whispers and the smell of roses. me mam wasnt scared by this but the next day she was about to say it to her sisters when me aunty cut in and told her about the exact same experience that happened her that same night.

very strange and makes ye wonder is it some sort of farewell message or something:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

major bill wrote: »
    strange alright my mam had a similar experiance

i was only young at the time but me mother always tells this story, when me granny was dying me granny always used to joke to me mam and say ''ah when i die il haunt ye with the smell of roses'' cos she loved roses, anyway she eventually died and the night of her death(and me mam wont lie about this stuff) me mother was awoken by whispers and the smell of roses. me mam wasnt scared by this but the next day she was about to say it to her sisters when me aunty cut in and told her about the exact same experience that happened her that same night.

very strange and makes ye wonder is it some sort of farewell message or something:confused:

We should start a thread for irrational fears....mine being door knocks and yours roses!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sunshine12

The knocking at the door thing could be a way of saying goodbye BTW.

Okay since the beginning of October last year (2009) I have been, let’s say, opened up and can now like feel things: peoples emotions and so forth. However they became a problem so I had to learn to block them off.

At Christmas I suddenly felt strange, like I was being compressed, and I became aware of the feeling of being watched. Then noises began to echo around the house, such as doors banging and the front door opening and closing, but it was only the sound. My parents could hear it too and reacted while I just knew who it was.
    It got really annoying but one day when I was alone I had this disturbing feeling of killing myself, I felt like I had to do it but my mind felt strange like it was split, one side said to grab a knife and do it while the other claimed that it wasn't me, that it was the spirit who i could feel. I was panicked and scared and was curled in a ball in the laundry room after breaking down. I had sat down in a position where I could see the big knives clearly but I was as far away from them as possible.
    I stayed like that for a good few hours. I collected myself before my dad came home. I had a strange urge to ask him about a suicide in his family, if there were any, but I went straight to mom (which was confusing because she gets angry every time i mention angels or spirits or the like).

BTW I had a mental image of a black haired, slimish build man.
    Mom spilled about my great uncle John who had jumped off a bridge into a river. He was found with stones in his pockets.

In the end the compressed feeling is linked with the pressure of the water and the strange urge to kill myself speaks for itself. It was a suicide. John then left and I haven't felt him in ages

Now, as in right now, I have a new “guest”, it is a guy, I’m positive! There is a thread somewhere about it and him being stronger on my right side. I have no solid info for this guy yet though. He is really annoying though because I can feel him strongly on my right side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

:eek:scary stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I had a uncle in law (if that even is a thing) who was a priest. He was assigned to St Vincents hospital just before it moved to Elm Park (they were in the process of moving).

Every morning on his way to breakfast he passed an elderly nun who would not say a thing in the corridor despite his salutations!

Each evening he would come back to his room and it was cleaned spotlessly, bed made etc etc. After a while of this going on he mentioned this strange nun to the 'head priest' (for want of a better word) who mentioned that actually all of the nuns had already moved to the new hospital site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ajdb

never actually saw a ghost myself, however I believe in their existence. When I was around 11 or 12 a bunch of us sat around a ouija board in a friends house.

None of use knew anyone that died, however the friend that owned the house his nanny had pased away so we looked at her photo and tried to call her spirit.

Shortly after we started - a riding helmet that had been sitting at the back of an armchair - seemed to roll forward and land on the floor. We jumped up, smashed the glass and legged it out of Luke's house - I've never been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

. I went back to bed and woke up bout half hour later and saw out of the corner of my eye in the window above my door a man hunched looking in, he must have had to be bout 10' to do it.
    Thats some scary sh1t... who in their right mind would put a window above a door lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Thats some scary sh1t... who in their right mind would put a window above a door lol

We have smoky glass panels over most of the bedroom doors at home. I think the idea is to let light in to the hallway when all the bedroom doors are closed (I lived in a bungalow with a long narrow hallway which would be pitch black with all the doors closed if the windows above some of them didn't let light through.)

Next time I'm home though I won't be checking to see if someone is looking in it!!!!:eek:

yeah I think my old gaff years ago had that. I also have a vague memory of having sleep paralysis when I was real young, was horrible! Now I just pass out and wake up at 3pm :pac:ha

my room is at the top of the stairs at the start of the landing and my parents was at the other end. the noise was like someone dragging a duvet or heavy blanket really slowly up and down the landing. the noise was so loud, impossibly loud for what the noise was, a blanket couldnt be that loud but it sounded like a heavy fabric, slowly and steadily moving.

In this vid the guy mentions the sound of someone dragging a bag of blankets or something on the floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Wow i love this thread - read the whole thing. Nothing strange or spooky has ever happened to me personally, but I have a lot of stories of things that happened to my parents, my boyfriend and about my great-aunts house. Some are quite lone, so I'll put them up bit by bit so as not to hog the thread. I'll start with the haunted house and a couple of small random things that happened to my parents.
    My great aunt lives in an old house in England, not sure exactly how old but it was there during the Victorian era. Anyway, this was a good few years ago, she was getting the upstairs of the house done up, new bathroom put in etc. The work being done seemed to stir up a whole host of resident ghosts! My aunt would be in the kitchen was at the end of the hallway facing the front door. She would here the front door open and close and footsteps coming down the hall. She would think it was her husband home from work but no one was there. This was probably the old man who would come up behind her and her daughters and shout "hello" in her ear and put a hand on her shoulder. Her dogs would also growl at something in the kitchen, then yelp and flinch as if they had been kicked. Due to this, they had a medium of some sorts come to the house. She apparently found that as well as the old man there was a black magic circle in the living room (black magic had a boom in popularlty in the Vic times) right where my aunts dog had always peed when a puppy, a woman who had practiced witchcraft had hung herself in her and her husbands bedroom, there was a kindly doctor in another of the bedrooms so they left him there, and saddest of all was what she found in the attic. It was a big house so the attic was huge, so it had been partitioned to make two rooms. One was a bedroom and one a storeroom. Apparently, the ghosts of a little boy and his mother haunted up there. The little boy had had tb or something contagious like that and had been locked in the attic to die by his father. His mother had sat outside the door talking to him. Now, although nothing strange has happened to me, when I was a child and still lived in England, when we visited this aunt, I would love to go play in the attic and explore all the old toys up there that had belonged to her kids. However I could never stay up there long without feeling strange. Also, and this could be a complete and utter coincidence and example of how weird I was as a kid, I would also sit on the top step by the attic, where my aunt kept an old hoover. I "befriended" this hoover and would sit and talk to it, can't remember about what, but I remember feeling sorry for it that it was up there all by itself. When I found out about the ghosts I wondered was it in some way the little boy I was talking to?
    This has gotten very long so I'll finish with something that happened to my mum when she was a little girl - she was playing outside, went to run across a road and a woman grabbed the back of her coat and stopped her from running out in front of a car. The woman told her to be careful, and that she would wait there to watch her get across the road safely. When mum got to the other side, she turned around to wave to the woman but she had vanished, couldn't be seen anywhere on the street. Some sort of guardian angel/spirit perhaps?
    Sorry for ho long this is, I'll post some more later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

that was so hard to read but worth it for the lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

It's been a while since I visited this page and alot has happened. Things at home have escalated and I've been seeing some figure at work again aswell, and was fingered in the back for the first timel, was never touched before and that was very different i must say, I don't feel threatened at all. At home taps coming on and off, and a few other things happening, also seeing the white misty thing again, even others in the house have experienced a few things with me, both of us together (which is great - a witness!!) I saw a figure outside the house this week walking in the drive way to the door and I even told hubby to answer the door , but no door bell rang, and no one outside.

I met a woman through a friend of a friend type situation - and I was told she was a white witch, I never went to see any one before because to be frank, - i don't believe any advertised psychics etc, but this lady secretly sees people, and we had a 2 hour chat. She told me loads of things which were true and she was sussing me as I was sussing her for at least the first half hour, the chat ended well, and she has offered to clear out my house, (with three of her friends) but according to her i have about 400 spirits following me, and i'm supposedly a magnet - that bit did frighten me a little, but alot of what she told me was true and made sense. I've left things as they are for now, not sure about having 4 witches in my home.

Just wondering what ye think, - maybe this should be on another forum....I'm reluctant to let some one "clear" my house, maybe they will stir up some thing. And besides, these things don't just happen in my house.

mean while my child who can't talk yet but babbles in her own language is interesting to watch, there have been times that it is very obvious she's having a conversation or communicating with some body, at one stage it looked like she was playing with another child, though no one there,.

I'm still having premonitions, a rather serious one coming true recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 poppin candy

another experience i had about 12 years ago. i was in bed asleep one night and i woke up a noise outside my bedroom door. i didnt know what it was, i just knew something loud enough to wake me had happened. i lay there about to go back asleep, when i began to hear a noise going up and down the landing outside my door. my room is at the top of the stairs at the start of the landing and my parents was at the other end. the noise was like someone dragging a duvet or heavy blanket really slowly up and down the landing. the noise was so loud, impossibly loud for what the noise was, a blanket couldnt be that loud but it sounded like a heavy fabric, slowly and steadily moving. this went on for about 40 mins, with me getting increasingly freaked by what the hell it could be. eventually i crept out of bed and listened, my ear against my door. when i heard the noise go up the landing i burst the door open, turned on the light and ran to my parents room. when i opened the door my mother was sitting bolt upright in bed, completely white faced looking terrified. i was nearly in tears i was so freaked out and i said there was something in the house. she said it was my father snoring, who was in bed beside her unconcious even with us talking, but from looking at her i knew she had been up listening to the same thing and used this crap excuse to stop me from losing it. i went back to bed but didnt sleep a wink. sorry for huge post

wow that sounds absolutely terrifying,ive got goosebumps :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

hi

iv just found this thread and am delighted to see it, i am always interested in ghosts and stuff.

just thought id put it out there that i have a story or two, even though i never actually seen anything. i'l try to keep it short.

a few weeks ago my brother and one of my friends went to http://www.haunted-britain.com/Western_Ireland.htm#Moore%20Hall. moore hall<< as its not far from us, just out of curiosity. while we were there we had planned to go into the house but the windows would be a good 7 - 8 foot high from the ground. while we were there my brother noticed i was constantly looking around me as i couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching us. me and my brother also heard a deep mumble like a mans voice, dont know what, if anything, it said. my bro also thought he saw something in the trees watching us although he thinks it could've just been a cat. also when we were going, one of my friends and my brother thought they heard a light voice like a woman or a child. there is another story about a guy that i knew that took a pic there one night and there was a white figure standing on the second floor.

i also have another story but will post it another time so the post wont be too long:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 megolly

ok this is pretty long but would like to find out some information on this house i loved in before.
    a couple of years ago myself and two friends were renting an apartment on north main st in cork city number 70. it was a fairly old apartment all the rooms were very big with high ceilings, huge windows and there were fireplaces in every room. but we never thought for a second about the place being haunted or anything like that. we were too busy having parties in the place! anyway after a couple of months strange things started happening. we could always hear random noises around the place like doors creaking and stuff but we just put that down to the place being really old.

then the kettle started turning itself on randomly. didnt get frightened by this until one night my housemate was home alone. she was sitting at the kitchen table on her laptop facing out towards the hallway when she got startled for no reason like there was someone at the door she jumped out of her chair and when she did the kettle went on. she said it was like someone came into the kitchen from the hall and switched it on.

another thing we noticed was everytime someone would go into the bathroom the toilet seat would have been put down. we made a point of leaving it up after that just to see and then every time it would be put down.

once i was in the house on my own one day, it would have been about 2/3pm. was lying on the couch watching tv when i heard someone actually call my name from the hallway. i thought it was one of the girls that had come home early but i didnt recognise the voice. rang both of them and they were both definitely out. i got so scared i just ran out of the house and walked around town for a while til they were home. we came back into the house that evening and the window at the top of the stairs was open. now we never ever opened this window because it was so big that even to open it we had to climb up high onto the windowsil. and then to close it we had to use a brush handle to pull it back in. too much hassle so we always kept it locked. well now this window was wide open like it was pushed out so far it took two of us to pull it back in me hanging out the window reaching for it while my friend held onto my legs.

then one night it started getting pretty bad. we all worked in a nightclub across the road so we came home from work at about 3 in the morning were sitting down in the front room just having tea. after a while we could hear these noises coming from upstairs. sounded like someone was running around upstairs. then it stopped. we thought the place was being burgaled or something. then we heard more noises like something rolling across the floor. we went upstairs after a while (obviously all together holding hands we were so terrified) into the room where the noise was coming from. nothing there at all except one of the girls had candles in front of her fireplace like big thick ones and they had been rearragned. that was the sound of something rolling around the floor. that night we went to bed and outside all of our bedroom doors we could hear what sounded like a coin being bounced along the floor.

a few nights later myself and one of the girls were going up to bed and as we were halfway up the stairs the light went off. now this wouldnt have freaked us out that much cos bulbs go all the time. but we actually heard the switch flick off as if someone had done it on purpose..

anyway things like this kept happening for a while. none of out friends believed us like they would just laugh. one day my friend was in a shop in town and got chatting to the salesman. so he was asking where she was from and where she lived etc etc. she said north main st and he said he lived in our apartment before and it was haunted by an old woman. she didnt tell him anything about what was happening to us just wanted to see what he would say. he said that when he lived there he actually saw her once or twice and that she was always hanging around the hallway.

after that she told us and we shortly moved out of the place cos to be honest none of us wanted to see her and we were sick of being terrified in the house.

was just wondering if anyone else here knows anything about the place or heard stories about it from someone else who lived there maybe? would like to know a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hi all, my wife had a few experiences - one as recent as September last year.
    Her parents owned a farm in South Africa - some parts of the farm house is very old, built in the 1800's.
    Both of my wife's experiences happened in her old bedroom, which was located in the older part of the house. You always got a very eerie feeling when you were in that part of the house - somehow the atmosphere there just felt thicker for some reason.
    The first time my wife experienced something in the house was a couple of years ago, even before we got married. She was awoken by the sounds of someone (a female voice) singing or humming softly. Firstly she thought that she was dreaming that she heard the humming, but when the sounds persisted she sat up in bed and saw a young girl, of about 16-18 years of age sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor in front of the bed. This girl had long blonde hair, and was wearing a blue dress in the old fashioned Afrikaner Boer style. The girl sat with her head bowed, her long hair hiding her face. As the blonde girl hummed, she gently rocked herself. When my wife frantically switched on the lights, the girl disappeared.
    Things were quiet in the house for a while then, and my wife didn't experience anything again until last year September, when she went home to South Africa to visit her parents for a few months.
    My wife is weird in the way that every time she turns over from one side to another, she wakes up.:confused: While turning over, she saw a black shape next to her bed on the right hand side. She was physically pinned down on her side, and something screamed in her face. My wife said that she could feel a icy cold wind blowing in her face, whipping her hair about while this thing was screaming at her - she felt extremely threatened, and started to pray. After a few minutes, the screaming and wind left suddenly.
    She was so scared, that for 2 weeks after the incident, her Mom had to sleep with her in the room. They left Bibles open on Psalm 23 in all 4 corners of the room during that 2 week period as well. For the rest of her stay there, she slept with a light on in the room, because she said that after this thing pinned her down, she felt that something warned her not to switch off the light.
    Funny enough, her Dad then mentioned that when they have to go into her room for some reason, they always felt creeped out, and that even his faithful little Jack Russell (who follows him EVERYWHERE) refuses to go into that room with him. Sorry for the long post guys!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

megolly wrote: »
    then the kettle started turning itself on randomly.

kettles can do this, especially if the water has a lot of lime in it, and it builds up in the kettles element

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

mikeruurds wrote: »
    Hi all, my wife had a few experiences - one as recent as September last year.
    Her parents owned a farm in South Africa - some parts of the farm house is very old, built in the 1800's.
    Both of my wife's experiences happened in her old bedroom, which was located in the older part of the house. You always got a very eerie feeling when you were in that part of the house - somehow the atmosphere there just felt thicker for some reason.
    The first time my wife experienced something in the house was a couple of years ago, even before we got married. She was awoken by the sounds of someone (a female voice) singing or humming softly. Firstly she thought that she was dreaming that she heard the humming, but when the sounds persisted she sat up in bed and saw a young girl, of about 16-18 years of age sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor in front of the bed. This girl had long blonde hair, and was wearing a blue dress in the old fashioned Afrikaner Boer style. The girl sat with her head bowed, her long hair hiding her face. As the blonde girl hummed, she gently rocked herself. When my wife frantically switched on the lights, the girl disappeared.
    Things were quiet in the house for a while then, and my wife didn't experience anything again until last year September, when she went home to South Africa to visit her parents for a few months.
    My wife is weird in the way that every time she turns over from one side to another, she wakes up.:confused: While turning over, she saw a black shape next to her bed on the right hand side. She was physically pinned down on her side, and something screamed in her face. My wife said that she could feel a icy cold wind blowing in her face, whipping her hair about while this thing was screaming at her - she felt extremely threatened, and started to pray. After a few minutes, the screaming and wind left suddenly.
    She was so scared, that for 2 weeks after the incident, her Mom had to sleep with her in the room. They left Bibles open on Psalm 23 in all 4 corners of the room during that 2 week period as well. For the rest of her stay there, she slept with a light on in the room, because she said that after this thing pinned her down, she felt that something warned her not to switch off the light.
    Funny enough, her Dad then mentioned that when they have to go into her room for some reason, they always felt creeped out, and that even his faithful little Jack Russell (who follows him EVERYWHERE) refuses to go into that room with him. Sorry for the long post guys!! :)
    :eek: Holy Jaysus, the hair is standin up on the back of me neck -- I wouldn't be right in the head after that! Fair dues to your wife for sticking it out - bibles or not, I'd be gone like the clappers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 pernod_oclock

I've always believed in some sort of spirit energy but never experienced anything I really couldn't rationally explain til I was 17. I'll just relate a couple of things that I've witnessed. There are more I've heard from family, good friends that I might tell later.

Quite a minor one but my first experience. Sitting in my room one spring night, I was reading a book. I do like my fresh air so the window was wide open but there wasn't a breath of air to be heard or felt, the leaves on the trees outside were as still. Suddenly, my door - on the other side of the room to the window - just started to steadily close on its own. Quite slowly but very surely. I knew how the door reacted to wind and it definitely wasn't conditions for this to happen. It continued at it's pace til it properly closed. Now, even in gusty conditions, the door would usually bang a little off the door frame but come back, never closing fully. But on such an airless night, it did. I thought it very odd. Thinking on it the next day, I realised it was the 1st anniversary that night of a car accident just yards from my house where a young guy died. It had been a noticably airless quiet night as well as we could all in the house hear the car coming for ages before it crashed. If you were to walk straight to the guy's house from the site of the accident, it would be through my room.

My mother hears footsteps and bumps from downstairs up in my room even though I'm away in college and the only other people around are my brother and father, sitting in the sitting room. She cleaned the room up a few months back and put books back into shelves only for them to be lying on the ground the next time I would go into the room. They sit fine on the shelves, no need for them to fall.

Another situation has to do with my grandmother's house. Having lived there til she had a stroke in 2002, she went into a home and the house hadn't really been touched since. Now, last year she started to go downhill quite quickly and in the summer she was given about 6 months. My mother, her daughter, is quite a practical woman so she decided that the house needed to be sorted out in case of a wake as it was always my grandmother's wish to be waked in her own house. I went up with my mother to get all this done as we've a similar temprement for such things. We were in one of the bedrooms clearing up when we heard an almighty crash. I went into the sitting room expecting one of the dozens of ornaments to have fallen but found them all upright after us having cleaned them. I was a bit bewildered but looking on the gound i saw a large mirror that had hung in the house since it was moved into in the 70s broken on the ground. The ornaments under it, which it should have fallen on top of before hitting the floor were totally spared (my grandmother loved her ornaments). My mother immediately thought her mother had died but I assured her that was silly, but thought the same myself. On going home, it was assured that she was still alive. But it was about a week later that she did go in the end, months ahead of what was medically expected. The morning she died, I went to get my hair cut for removal and all and mentioned the incident to the hairdresser who asked me hadn't i ever heard that a mirror breaking on its own in a house means a resident would die within 3 weeks.
    The nurses at the home were very good and they were genuinely upset at her dying after being there 7 years. One was in her room there about a week afterwards and found a white feather sitting on my grandmother's bed. She took it as a sign to her that all was fine.
    Just this weekend past, myself and my mother went back up to the house to get it sorted for a local young guy to move in and start renting it.
    We found a little Easter card from my mother to her mother from years back sitting on the mantlepiece. Very odd at the timing of it. She has no idea how it got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

I was a die hard skeptic and cynic with regard to ghosts until I had my very own ghostly experience. I was in my friends house - just the two of us having a couple of beers and listening to tunes on the stereo. I had to go to the bathroom to relieve myself. The bathroom was one of those old fashion style where it was separate room to the toilet. The room with the toilet is very small and narrow. I was doing my business when right behind me on the door which was ajar I hear three loud raps- knock...knock....knock. A gap of about half a second between them. I had only 2 bottles of light beer and know for a fact that I wasn't hearing things. My mate was busy with his cds and their is absolutely no way it was him. I wasn't scared strangely enough just fascinated. I told my mate this story and he just smiled matter of fact and said that it was ' the priest'. Years ago before his parents had any children they had a priest lodger to help with bills etc. This priest always politely knocked on the door before entering the kitchen for his breakfast. My mate is used to him as indeed is his sister and his late mother would often hear these knocks too. Anyway the priest passed away in his sleep in the boxroom of the house and haunts the house to this very day.

my other experiences apart from having quite a few violent nightmares involving spirits, up to about 3 years ago i used to wake up during the night feeling that i was being pinned down on the bed altough i felt awake my eyes were closed but i could see everything around me in my bedroom this happned at least 5 times where i had to fight of this feeling of being pinned down it was just a huge pressure on top of me!
    [/QUOTE]

Thats called sleep paralysis and its when your conscious and the rest of your body is asleep. Its natures way of protecting you so that you don't enact your dreams and cause an in jury to yourself. The presence is brain related too.

• Advertisement

This freaked me out as it allegedly reveals a ghostly figure of Michael Jackson. The film was shot live for the Larry King show a day or two after Jacko's death.
    Be warned though - it is freaky.

Advertisement