Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Chriskavo wrote: »
    Years ago before his parents had any children they had a priest lodger to help with bills etc.
    I call BS on that. Priests always live at the local diocese-owned parochial house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

I call BS on that. Priests always live at the local diocese-owned parochial house.

Whats your problem!! This is not BS - how dare you. My friend is not a liar and neither am I. All I can tell you is this is what I experienced and its not a lie. You dont even know me to make such an egregious accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

another experience i had about 12 years ago. i was in bed asleep one night and i woke up a noise outside my bedroom door. i didnt know what it was, i just knew something loud enough to wake me had happened. i lay there about to go back asleep, when i began to hear a noise going up and down the landing outside my door. my room is at the top of the stairs at the start of the landing and my parents was at the other end. the noise was like someone dragging a duvet or heavy blanket really slowly up and down the landing. the noise was so loud, impossibly loud for what the noise was, a blanket couldnt be that loud but it sounded like a heavy fabric, slowly and steadily moving. this went on for about 40 mins, with me getting increasingly freaked by what the hell it could be. eventually i crept out of bed and listened, my ear against my door. when i heard the noise go up the landing i burst the door open, turned on the light and ran to my parents room. when i opened the door my mother was sitting bolt upright in bed, completely white faced looking terrified. i was nearly in tears i was so freaked out and i said there was something in the house. she said it was my father snoring, who was in bed beside her unconcious even with us talking, but from looking at her i knew she had been up listening to the same thing and used this crap excuse to stop me from losing it. i went back to bed but didnt sleep a wink. sorry for huge post

That noise you mentioned Whitesiucra, I had a similar experience. Years ago when I was about 12, I was staying with my sister and cousin in my Granny's house in Cavan, quite a remote area, the nearest neighbours were about 200yards (no good at guessing distance)..Anyway, for a couple of nights running at about 1am we heard a repetitive noise like a child's voice calling something that sounded like 'aaah-aah'. It was coming from the direction of the lake down at the bottom of a hill, no houses, sheep, or goats in that direction and cattle would've been in at night. It could've been some kind of bird, but odd to hear it at that hour. We were terrified!

One particular night my sister (3yrs older than me) was the only one awake, she heard a noise like something heavy being dragged past our window outside in the lane...(the house was at a right angle to the lane, our room was the last one on the end) she described it as sounding like a big rock being dragged across gravel, she huddled under the bedclothes 'til she fell asleep.

The next night, I was the only one awake. I was stiff with fear in case I'd hear something and sure enough, in the distance I heard something approaching. It was just like that, like something really heavy being dragged, then as it got nearer and louder there was a huge bang at the window. I nearly died of fright!:eek: I'll never forget it. My uncle the next day said it must've been a bird flying into the window but do birds fly about at night? Anyway it didn't explain the noise. I was too frightened to look out the window, anyway it was pitch black dark outside and there were huge palm trees the opposite side of the lane.. really spooky.

Another night, we were sitting up late watching one of those horror double bills that used to be on on a Fri or Sat. We were sitting quietly when we heard 2 or 3 knocks at the door, clearly and loudly. I remember well my uncle's face when he heard it. The four of us peeped out the front door, no one was there but there was a row of little sheds to the right hand side of the yard and I saw something white disappearing behind the end one. Like the tail end of a shroud. No one saw it except me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I had an experience last night. I moved back home with my mother in January to start up a business with her. I'm up late a lot of nights and will be downstairs in the family room. You can see into our parlour room via the kitchen and on some nights, from the corner of my eye, I would see a small animal scamper across the parlour. I would go check, because we have three cats, two that are inside at night, but nothing would be there. And it would also happen when both indoor cats were with me in the family room and the other cat was outside.

I asked other people in the house if they had experienced the same thing, and they had. We thought it was either our old cat, Kaboodle, who had lived in the house for 15 years before being crushed to death by the garage door, or a visiting animal from the pet cemetery that's behind our house.

Well, last night, I saw this thing full on. It was thunderstorming and the cat who is usually outside wanted in, so I let her. But after a few hours, she wanted back out even though it was still raining badly and thundering and lightening. So I let her out. The other two cats - who are black - were upstairs hiding under the beds. Not five minutes after I let the outside cat out, I happened to look in the parlour just as a cream colored cat ran through it.

Obviously, there's no reason for a cream colored cat to be in our house, I walked into the parlour to see if anything was there. Nothing. So I got thoroughly creeped out and went upstairs.

It was a very weird experience. None of our doors or windows were opened - it was thunderstorming outside and it was late at night. There was no way an animal could have gotten in or out on it's own ( and nothing snuck in when I let the outdoor cat out). Plenty of lights were on - the kitchen light, the hall light, the family room light. I wasn't tired or sleepy. And I saw it very clearly; it looked like our deceased Kaboodle ( she was Siamese).

Anyway, sorry for going on at length, just had to share for my own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

This freaked me out as it allegedly reveals a ghostly figure of Michael Jackson. The film was shot live for the Larry King show a day or two after Jacko's death.
    Be warned though - it is freaky.

ah come on. Its already been shown thats the shadow of a crewmember.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    ah come on. Its already been shown thats the shadow of a crewmember.

I know but this is the new video which has been enhanced and seems to contradict the shadow theory. You have to watch out for it right at the very end. Certainly freaked me out.

I know but this is the new video which has been enhanced and seems to contradict the shadow theory. You have to watch out for it right at the very end. Certainly freaked me out.

Feck sake! My heart!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 iSeeStars

(:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I am a ghost and iv been haunting this thread for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Ann22 wrote: »
    That noise you mentioned Whitesiucra, I had a similar experience. Years ago when I was about 12, I was staying with my sister and cousin in my Granny's house in Cavan, quite a remote area, the nearest neighbours were about 200yards (no good at guessing distance)..Anyway, for a couple of nights running at about 1am we heard a repetitive noise like a child's voice calling something that sounded like 'aaah-aah'. It was coming from the direction of the lake down at the bottom of a hill, no houses, sheep, or goats in that direction and cattle would've been in at night. It could've been some kind of bird, but odd to hear it at that hour. We were terrified!

One particular night my sister (3yrs older than me) was the only one awake, she heard a noise like something heavy being dragged past our window outside in the lane...(the house was at a right angle to the lane, our room was the last one on the end) she described it as sounding like a big rock being dragged across gravel, she huddled under the bedclothes 'til she fell asleep.

The next night, I was the only one awake. I was stiff with fear in case I'd hear something and sure enough, in the distance I heard something approaching. It was just like that, like something really heavy being dragged, then as it got nearer and louder there was a huge bang at the window. I nearly died of fright!:eek: I'll never forget it. My uncle the next day said it must've been a bird flying into the window but do birds fly about at night? Anyway it didn't explain the noise. I was too frightened to look out the window, anyway it was pitch black dark outside and there were huge palm trees the opposite side of the lane.. really spooky.

Another night, we were sitting up late watching one of those horror double bills that used to be on on a Fri or Sat. We were sitting quietly when we heard 2 or 3 knocks at the door, clearly and loudly. I remember well my uncle's face when he heard it. The four of us peeped out the front door, no one was there but there was a row of little sheds to the right hand side of the yard and I saw something white disappearing behind the end one. Like the tail end of a shroud. No one saw it except me.

The noise was probably the call of a lapwing..check this link to hear one call at night;
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/lapwing/index.aspx

• Advertisement

The noise was probably the call of a lapwing..check this link to hear one call at night;
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/lapwing/index.aspx

Thanks for that foxshooter, you know your birds:)..Realistically, I'd imagine what we heard probably was some kind of bird..it could well have been a lapwing. I thought the first time I listened that it didn't sound at all like that but when I played it again, now when I think of it, towards the end the last few noises did resemble what we heard. Maybe from a distance it made it more human like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

6th wrote: »
    From talking to alot of people over the years and a couple of experiences myself it seems to be very common to see spirits on forms of transport. I suppose itt makes alot of sense seeing as we spend so much of our time geeting from one place to another.

I had a woman sit down beside me on a bus, i saw her out of the corner of my eye and took my bag off the seat beside me. I felt her sitdown and smelt her (i notice smells alot), I even felt her touching off my arm. I took no notice coz theres nothing weird with having someone sit beside you on a bus. When my stop was coming up i turned to her slightlly and said sorry, she looked at me smiled and dissappeared in front of my eyes. I got the same smell for the next couple of days very strong.

I've had a fair few experiences and wish i wasnt in work so i could tell you them all.

6th

Iv had lots of experiances myself throughout my life especially during my army days and even latley little things happen now and then. I generally just keep anything that happens to me to myself as well ya know sure ya get the same ol remarkes sure it's just your imigination etc. Thats a really interesting story seeing the woman on the bus and then she dissappered when you were getting off you would wonder who someone like that was and why or how they passed on but when you see a spirit in a situation like this you know for sure it's true. Hope to hear some more of your experiances.

From talking to alot of people over the years and a couple of experiences myself it seems to be very common to see spirits on forms of transport. I suppose itt makes alot of sense seeing as we spend so much of our time geeting from one place to another.

I had a woman sit down beside me on a bus, i saw her out of the corner of my eye and took my bag off the seat beside me. I felt her sitdown and smelt her (i notice smells alot), I even felt her touching off my arm. I took no notice coz theres nothing weird with having someone sit beside you on a bus. When my stop was coming up i turned to her slightlly and said sorry, she looked at me smiled and dissappeared in front of my eyes. I got the same smell for the next couple of days very strong.

I've had a fair few experiences and wish i wasnt in work so i could tell you them all.

6th
    hope to hear more of your stories that one of the woman on the bus was really interasting. iv got a good few myself especially from my army days.

Yeah I'll put them on as and when. I really should have them all written down. I think I'll put them on here then list all 19ish on my website.

This is the kind of thread that could go on for ages ... which is a good thing!

6th

Yes it would be great to hear all the stories. Strange thing i allways seem to be guided to ghostley web sites mostley i seem to find them when iam doing something completly different:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Read all thesethreads today for the first time.... Not sure if this would count as a ghost story more a strange happening coincidence...

About 15 years ago was hitching a lift from Ballybunion to Limerick...Set off in the early morning with a friend, walked for about 2 hrs got a lift for 5 miles off a farmer..walked another mile or three got another lift off a farmer, this went on for the majority of the morning, til we reached a spot on the Limerick side of Tarbert. There a priest picked us up, I jumped in to the front and started chatting amicably with the guy. He was an ex missionary who worked in Africa started telling me all these stories. My friend in the back didn't like Priests and was grumbling away.

Anyway turns out he had to pop in to a small country church in Curraghchase in Co. Limerick for a funeral visit of an old friend and said if we were still on the road later he'd pick us up and bring us all the way in to Limerick.

Well, we walked and walked our legs falling off us. It was a beautiful sunny day though so we didn't mind too much, just a bit peeved at the amount of cars passing us. Finally around the corrner comes the priest, In we get, then just as we come outside the village of Kildimo there's a dangerous few bends, It suddenly bucketed down out of the heavens. The priest puts on the wipers full throttle we still couldnt see anything, so we had to stop the car for 5 minutes. I looked at the clock in the car and it was exactly 2:30.

Sun popped up drove to Limerick, got out said thank you walked home, got in the door and my Da was there and he told me Gran had passed away this afternoon at 2:30. The funny thing is my Gran was born in Kildimo, a stones throw from where we had to stop at exactly 2:30.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jenn15

wow what a great thread i love all this stuff!!

my one yr old son always stares into this one spot in our bedroom he just goes into a complete trance staring at it all the time and a few weeks ago I got a picture of my partners mum who had died when i was 8 months pregnant so my son had never met her but he went up to the picture and pointed to it and said nana!! i was so freaked out but everytime i say who'sthis and point at the pic he says nana! good to know shes still around and isn't missing out on him growing up!

Jenn your story just reminded me of this...My father died 17mths before my son was born. One time when he was about 2 he got up off the floor where he'd been playing, toddled up to me as I was sitting on the sofa and kissed me on the cheek. I said 'what was that for?' to which he replied 'my grandad told me to'

Another time, I forget how old he was, about 3, I think,he said 'when I'm a big boy, I'm going to go to playgroup'...I said 'who was saying that to you? He said 'my granda'.......I asked him where was his granda when he told him this...and he said 'in my nannie's, on the ceiling'...'Playgroup' was a funny word to use..I don't know anyone who calls it that. We would all call it 'playschool' or 'preschool'. However, when I was young, our school ran a weekend playgroup, I was wondering would that word have been what my dad would've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vipervillain

a couple of strange things have happened at the family home over the years this being the freakiest..my mum was in the yard one night hanging out clothes.at the time we had a dog that would not leave her side for the duration of time my mum would spend outside be it to take in clothes or whatever reason she would have for being outside.....this night she saw the dog scamper into its shed that it would sleep as though it had been frightened off.she thought this very odd and with that she says all of a sudden she felt a cold chill run down her back....my mum told me this night there was no one else in or around the house at the time. she had this feeling that there was someone behind her in the backyard. she look around and say the figure of a man just standing there.she looked at his face and recognised the person to be a local and that his mouth was moving as though he was saying something...my mum would of known this person only as a local you bump into on the street and have little chat.she was frightened by the whole thing and ran inside of the house...a couple of hours later my father came home with news that this man was killed in a car accident around the same time my mum had seen him....this freaked me out hearing this as a child knowing she saw this aroung the house we live...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

There is a statue of Mary beside a Church on the Northside of Dublin (I think its Marino Church, or it could be in Clontarf). Anyway, the statue used to be in a standard praying pose when it was erected a few decades back. However, about 15 years ago the hands of the statue appear to have changed position. They are now in the "zombie like" outstretched arms limp wrists position with fingers pointing toward the ground. The face of the statue also appears to have morped into a grotesque scowl. Anyone in the Marino/clontarf region should check it out. Its a large white church flanked on both sides by similar looking old schools. The statue is on the left hand side of the church. It freaked me out when I saw it. Apparently it caused quite a bit of a stir about 15 years ago.

this is the church

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/1593269

ah now. any photos of the before and after?

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    ah now. any photos of the before and after?

no, just googled that pic there. A friend brought me to the statue, and it does look like something out of a horror film. I don't know what would be stranger, if the statue did in fact move, or if the church chose to erect such a horrible looking zombie statue.

wouldnt you reckon its a crappily made statue that people ended up making stories about? Or an old statue with lots of paint that has distorted the face?

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    if the statue did in fact move, or if the church chose to erect such a horrible looking zombie statue.

Its quite normal for statues to have outstretched arms. nothing zombie about that.

Quite possible. Im a natural sceptic. But it does look zombie like. Haven't seen a statue in a pose like it before or since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

There is a statue of Mary beside a Church on the Northside of Dublin (I think its Marino Church, or it could be in Clontarf). Anyway, the statue used to be in a standard praying pose when it was erected a few decades back. However, about 15 years ago the hands of the statue appear to have changed position. They are now in the "zombie like" outstretched arms limp wrists position with fingers pointing toward the ground. The face of the statue also appears to have morped into a grotesque scowl. Anyone in the Marino/clontarf region should check it out. Its a large white church flanked on both sides by similar looking old schools. The statue is on the left hand side of the church. It freaked me out when I saw it. Apparently it caused quite a bit of a stir about 15 years ago.

this is the church

I was scrolling down slowly in case someone did post a before and after!!!:(

Quite possible. Im a natural sceptic. But it does look zombie like. Haven't seen a statue in a pose like it before or since

That's very bizarre and strange. Maybe the statue underwent some significant trauma years ago and is manifesting it's pain with this pose. Have you tried talking to the statue?, maybe offer it some words of comfort. Try leaving some food and drink as she may well be quite hungry. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Well that's no good, that's just tantalising us. Please someone show a pic of the the zombie statue.

loldog wrote: »
    Well that's no good, that's just tantalising us. Please someone show a pic of the the zombie statue.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/images/zombie_bunny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

this is the church

Google has nothing to say on the matter. Do you live near there? Can you get a photo? Not sure about the morphing bit, but it would be odd to erect a statue in the likeness of what you describe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The strangest thing that happened to me was I was in bed, when I saw a light shining on the ceiling, not a reflection and not from outside. I wear glasses, and they were downstairs, so I couldn't make it out, but it started moving down from the ceiling, towards the ground and towards me, getting bigger. I was pretty terrified, it seemed to be becoming more solid, like some sort of undefinable white lump. I reached for my light, but it wouldn't turn on, so I got my iPod, which was off, but without me doing anything it started playing a Neutral Milk Hotel song called 'Ghost' (awesome song btw), I got out of bed and turned on the TV, the light/lump thing went away and the song stopped playing.

Weird. Really, really weird. Especially since I've never had any kind of experience before. Don't have any idea what it all was though, in particular the NMH song playing off a turned-off iPod was weird.

Advertisement