Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 THE BISCH

My parent's house is haunted. It's a house in Inchicore and it was built in 1939. We reckon it's the lady who lived here before us that haunts it. We often hear foot steps upstairs while everyone is down stairs. Sometimes early in the morning you can hear sounds around the house, doors closing, footsteps on the landing, id go and check and everyone else is fast asleep. Its not a evil presence and lately over the past year it doesnt happen as often as it used to.

Also, when I was younger we went for a weekend and stayed at my grannies house in Wicklow. On the Saturday night when my parent's where going to bed they heard the banshee wailing. A relative of ours in the town died the next morning.

That area of wiklow is renowed for hauntings,

Years ago, my grandfather was coming home one night late from working in the fields met a man on the road. He bid him goodnight but the man snarled at him( the man was tall, tin and dressed in black). When my grandfather went to bed he felt the bed dropping around him and my grandmother called the doctor and the Priest, she thought he was dying. The doctor could not find any medical fault for this but the Priest reckoned that my granddad had met something evil and it had affectted him.

When my dad was younger himself and his brother where coming home one night after serving at the forty hour adoration. It was quite late and while they where walking home they saw lots of lights flicking in the field near the house, bear in mind this is in the middle of nowhere and electricty was only a fairly recent thing. They got a terrible fright and ran straight into the house. My gran it was willy the wisp trying to lure them to their death in the bog.

I have a few more stories but I will add them later...its getting late and I am up early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fruityruthie

Have been reading this thread the last few days & seriously FREAKED OUT!!! Was so scared in bed last night,kept on imagining all sorts!! Nothings ever really happened to me although my overactive imagination has freaked me out quite a few times over the years!

I remember one time I was staying over in my granny's house & I woke up early, the sun was just up and I don't know why but I looked out the window into the back garden to see a little girl bout my age at the time (8 or 9) standing in the garden in really old fashioned clothes! I looked away for some reason not believing my own eyes I suppose and when I looked back she was gone, as I said probably a little girls imagination as I loved scary movies and ghost stories my whole life! That kind of thing fascinates me!

Another time I was in Leitrim with my dad, aunt, uncle and granny (my granny is originally from there) We were in her childhood home with consisted of two bungalows with a gap of about 3 metres between the two houses, I dont know whther its because my granny told me ghost stories about the place (also including fairies etc so I cant be too sure how accurate these stories actually were!) but I remember seeing (or imagining!) a very skinny lady in a black dress standing in between these two houses, never told anyone as I put it down to my imagination but I'd love to know for sure! Nothings ever really happened to me otherwise apart from the occasional feeling theres someone in the room when its only me....maybe everyone experiences that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shoefloozy

A friend of mine took this photo at Christmas in his living room. Check out the bottom left corner. I'm still facinated by it. Let me know what you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

there just isnt the resolution in the image to be able to make much out ... it does look a bit like stray cigarette smoke but its impossible to say.

Any higher res versions of the image?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Am pretty sure there is a spirit in our rented house at the moment. Even our flatmate who just moved in last month passed a comment that he thinks the place is haunted and thats without us saying anything to him as we need the rent money..lol

Nothing sinister..just things like..

downstairs lights being on in the morning having being turned off,
    press doors fully open in the kitchen,
    things going missing and reappearing.

TBH it really started to freak me out a few months back and since then it has stopped. I think the deceased elderly lady who used to live there still visits. But its not sinister or bad and I think it stopped as she saw it was freaking me out a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

shoefloozy wrote: »
    A friend of mine took this photo at Christmas in his living room. Check out the bottom left corner. I'm still facinated by it. Let me know what you think?

I have to agree, there is not enough detail in the PIC for me to make anything out in it.

BTW partyguinness

Sounds like you have a great attitude to the haunting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Jayzus...have just gone through all the posts and wish I hadnt...lol

At work and a bit nervous reading some of those stories...:eek:

A medium told me that I have psyhic abilities and I should train to use them..TBH I am too ****less..I know my grandmother is with me (she died 24yrs ago and I was very close to her).

This has never happened me before but lately I have been getting these bad vibes and it has me on edge..cant explain it but it get this gut feeling that something bad is about to happen..dont know what..a death, tragedy etc. Maybe its all the bad news on the radio..lol..but something is going to happen and I will not like it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

This is a video I made about a whole slew of weird events one night in the mid 80's in Dublin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ8cH66k9s4&feature=channel_page

Done in an artys manner but I had no camera at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Hi Everyone
    Great thread. Spent the whole day reading it & still have'nt gotten through all the stories yet. Mrs Whosbetter? not impressed with me turning into a pupal Stan Ogden-like figure glued to a laptop all day.
    Anywhoo, haven't had much in the way of ghost sightings,etc,but can tell you a story frm the early '90s.
    Was sharing a bedroom with my brother then & one morn, when I was gettin up,he told me that he had a strange dream. He said that he was in a cop-shop & guards were asking him the reg no of his van & his mind went blank.
    Thought nothing of it till a few months later when he was lifted for drink driving. When I was collecting him the next day, he told me that the scene from his dream months earlier had come to pass.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

Hi Everyone
    Great thread. Spent the whole day reading it & still have'nt gotten through all the stories yet. Mrs Whosbetter? not impressed with me turning into a pupal Stan Ogden-like figure glued to a laptop all day.
    Anywhoo, haven't had much in the way of ghost sightings,etc,but can tell you a story frm the early '90s.
    Was sharing a bedroom with my brother then & one morn, when I was gettin up,he told me that he had a strange dream. He said that he was in a cop-shop & guards were asking him the reg no of his van & his mind went blank.
    Thought nothing of it till a few months later when he was lifted for drink driving. When I was collecting him the next day, he told me that the scene from his dream months earlier had come to pass.....

No biggie. I have these dreams all the time. Just small little things. I don't really think it has anything to do with ghosts, but it's still strange nevertheless.

-Blue- :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

when i was 9 or 10 i was shaken awake one night by a woman who asked me what time it was, i just turned around pulled the blankets over my head and my fingers in my ears, iv slept that way since, that was 20 years ago and nobody ever believed me, my grandmother was born with 'the caul' she still has it in her room, we've never seen it,
    the night she was born her father went off to get the nurse and a few neighbours asked hhim who was the lady with him, he was on his own on his way to the nurses house, a woman appeared to my mother years ago and just stood there with a candle stick with 3 candles said nothing, when ny mams uncle was dyin in hospital he was talkin to his dead wife saying thanks for coming and all this, loads of family were there his face then changed into a monk in front of them all before changing back and dying. a bit far fetched i know but thats what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kazzpop

I met my mother in law on the train one evening, As i walked up to her, she disappeared.... there was no one else on the carriage standing. My mother in law is dead over 2 1/2 years is this a sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ophilia

Hi, i don't get on much but I've been reading the pages and I too have had many experiences. My first when I was about 6 I used to wake up at night and see a young boy walk through my bedroom. When I was 8 I saw a woman in the shed floating above the ground and have seen many since.
    Most recently has been since I began my course in massage when there is total relaxation in the room i can see people beside the clients :)
    when i moved into my new house I saw an old man looking like he was a sort of soilder standing in my friends room as if he was guarding it. Since then there are flashing lights in the corner of the room the tvs in all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

So I came in to the new flat I'm "sharing" with a mate last night from a night out (was recovering from being ill so wasn't drinking much, had four screwdrivers over four hours, definitely not drunk).

Arrangement is that as I'm kind of "between places" at the moment is that I sleep on the couch (more of a loveseat really, not the most comfortable thing), he gets the bed, and when he gets up and gets ready to go to work I can take the bed, so sleep schedules will adjust accordingly. Like a timeshare, but with a bed.

He goes to bed, quite a bit more locked than I am. Grand, wakes up in the morning, not a bother. Didn't mention anything.

I take the bed because my back and legs are killing me from trying to sleep on a loveseat that even I at 5'5 am far too long for. I go to lay down and try to sleep, and the bed starts shaking.

It starts out slow, then gradually gets more violent. Only the bed is moving, not the two wardrobes in the room, nor the things that were hanging up in them. Then about two minutes later, the shaking just stops altogether.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, earthquakes are not common at strength in Ireland. They are also not commonly restricted to the size of a double bed. I've checked around for a remote reason for the occurrence, like something under the bed, but the bed is just two box springs plus a mattress piled on one another. Direct contact with the ground, no room for anything to be underneath it. It wasn't my mate taking the piss, he was in the other room on the laptop, could hear him typing away, there's no one else in here.

I honestly cannot figure it out. This was the middle of the day, around noon, bright, sunny day. Weather was fine. Bit of snow, but no wind or gusts or anything. The flat is part of a house in an estate, one of those newer ones with no individuality and subsequently very little history to it. In decent condition, physically.

What the hell could have caused that? I texted him and asked him if he'd noticed anything strange, he said no.

Maybe I've just been reading far too many ghost stories lately since I'm jumping to a paranormal conclusion already which is a bit unlike me, but it genuinely felt like someone was moving the bed when there was no one else in the room...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

This is a video I made about a whole slew of weird events one night in the mid 80's in Dublin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ8cH66k9s4&feature=channel_page

Nice vid...what software did you use to make it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Great thread,I might read it all again:)

bump! come on,lets hear them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

After reading this thread for last few days am not feeling *great* tbh

So I wiki Banshee and Im one of the family names that are meant to hear her call - eek
    But I havent had anythink paranormal as such happen to me
    Once I could of sworn I seen my granny in the family house - even though she had passed. I was inbetween sleep at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

My father died when I was four, so I was brought up alone by my mother.

The house we lived in had one of those 1960 upright storage units that combined a cupboard at the bottom, a drop down desk in the middle, a drawer at chest height and another cupboard on top. The drop down part kept falling down as the catch was broken. It would drop, we would push it up and inevitably it would fall again. When my father was still alive he got very annoyed by this unit and would swear and bang away at it as he was forever hurting himself on the drop door that kept falling.

Anyways, when I was 6-ish, one night me and me ma were in another room and I heard the drop door fall, only to be pushed up again and fall again - repeatedly for five minutes or so.

Oddly, my mother failed to notice this despite me being visibly terrified.

Could it have been the spirit of my father? I just don't know. Despite this I am still sceptical.

On another note. I used to go camping with a youth club in my teens. The forest we camped in had a grave in the middle of it and the leaders loved nothing more than taking us to this grave at midnight to scare the willies out of us. On one of these midnight grave trips we spied a figure in a cloak amongst the trees, most of us either froze or ran like hell. That is except for one lad who was an accomplished stone thrower (we were 1980s Derry teenagers). He lobbed a large stone at this ghostly figure. The figure let off the biggest string of un-ghostly expletives I have very heard. More so as he was being loaded in to the ambulance with a shattered collar bone. You see kids, pretending to be a ghost to scare teenagers is not clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

Is this thread still active and worth posting on?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Eireann wrote: »
    Is this thread still active and worth posting on?!

yesh

Thanks, have been reading this thread with great interest.

Have a few stories to add, so hope to become a regular!

Eireann wrote: »
    Thanks, have been reading this thread with great interest.

Have a few stories to add, so hope to become a regular!

Please do!:)

'tis pretty awesome that this thread is kept alive!

No new experiences with me, thank god! Moved out of my old house and nothing weird to report.

Woo.

Just a quick one from me so…

My Grandmother and her family were born and raised in a very small cottage in a very, very rural part of Co. Roscommon. If you think of the wilds, this really was it. They were about 7/8 miles from the nearest town, which back then and even now has never really thrived. It’s pretty much a one street town with not many shops, a scattering of pubs and not a lot more.

So to get to their house, you went along a pretty lonely regional road, not even lined to this day. After the aforementioned 7/8 miles, you take a right and head up a track. Perhaps half a mile up the road, still standing, is the home of my Great Grandparents.

At the time, and even until maybe 20 years ago, there were only two houses in that road. My families home, and perhaps another half a mile in, was an abandoned house. This house went on fire some time ago, and was abandoned afterwards. Past this house stood a well, on which the family depended on for water.

Anyway, behind the cottage (2 bedrooms, a kitchen, small back kitchen and a sitting room) was a small yard and some sheds. To the front, was another small garden. The house faced the road, and to get into the house you could walk up a small path. To reach the rear yard and sheds, you had to walk up the garden path and around to the left, passing through a small gap.

Sorry for the big description, I try to put as much detail into my writings as possible, to allow the reader to almost see the setting.

Anyway, back to my own Grandmother. Present day, she is roughly 75 years old. This incident that I will tell you about happened when she was about 17 years old.

Back then, to get to a dance, you had to walk everywhere, unless you were lucky enough to meet someone with a horse and cart who would spare your legs a little and give you a lift. The dance in those parts took place in a community hall close to the town that I mentioned before.

My Grandmother was returning from the dance, walking, when she reached the top of the small dirt track into her house. Just half a mile to go, she used to say, and she could rest her tired legs not only from the dance, but the walk. She was alone, but this never bothered her, even to this day.

After she turned onto her road, she continued up the road until she was about half way to her house. She recalled that she stopped in her tracks and tipped her head, as she was sure she could hear something. Back then, you had no traffic, or any kind of humming you would find nowadays, it was always still and quiet.

She heard a faint moaning, and so picked up her pace and walked quickly toward the house, not in fear, but out of curiosity more than anything. The noise seemed to be coming from her house, and it seemed almost like a sound of pain.

As she drew closer to the house, the noise was quite loud. She said it was like a deathly howling, like someone had gotten bad news and was in despair beyond belief. As if someone had had their heart broken, a mother had a child taken from them, or an unexpected death.

My Grandmother had now reached the house, and she said she could hear the wailing coming from the back yard. She crossed the front garden and went to the gap, but she said she could still see nothing. She called out, but the wailing did not desist.

She walked into the middle of the yard, and the wailing seemed to be coming from above her, like as if floating around her in the air, yet not settled in one place or coming from an area where she could have explored it further.

After finding that she could not see anything, she went into the house and woke her father. He was a very stern, God fearing man, but what she told him startled him to the core.

He rushed around the house, locking the doors and checking the windows. He told his daughter, my Grandmother, to get into the bed without waking her brothers and sisters, to cover her head and close her eyes, and not to open them until the morning.

She said she rushed into the room she was sharing with her siblings, but could hear her mother crying. This startled her to no end, and so she did what her father said, getting into bed and waiting until morning.

The next morning her mother took her aside and told her not to mention a word of the incident the night before to anyone. It was the Banshee, she said. It’s a warning.

Some days later, a telegram made its way to the local town. The night my Grandmother had head the shrill wails of the Banshee, local men were lost in battle.

Even now as an old lady, my mother often tells me this story, and every time it sends a shiver down my spine. My Grandmother said that back then, the Banshee simply foretold of something bad happening, like a war or death to many people. She is adamant that that night she heard the Banshee, wailing for the poor souls lost that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Att-tichoo

ok iv been reading all the posts and i seriously have the heebie jeebies..

new to this forum so just said id share my thoughts

im a bit of a sceptic, nothing major ever happened to me..on one hand i love if it did..on the other hand id prob keel over in fright!!

one thing..prob a bit diff but i rem couple of years ago i was at a party and sleepin in a bed with bout ten others(not that kind of party..more in a hammered, lay your head wherever kinda party)..anyways, i had this really weird dream about my teeth falling out, it was really freaky and real..i never really remember my dreams but i remeber this because the next morning i got such a jeering from my bedfellows because id been tossing and turning in my sleep, and they were convinced i was on drugs(i wasnt) because i kept making all these faces with my mouth at my teeth,and putting my hand into my mouth to poke at my teeth(they kindly video'ed me..i live in fear it'l end up on utube ;) )

Anyways, night after the party, my grandad died, he'd been sick for ages but still upsetting and all..

Few months later, one of my sisters had gotten a dream book, giving meanings for common dreams..as ai said i can never rem my dreams but i thought about the teeth falling out one and looked it up..they described a couple of diff scenarios and one matched my dream exactly and apparently its supposed to sybolise the imminent death of a loved one..

id'v never remembered that it was the night before pops died only for we were at the party(was my bro's 21st so i rem the date)..just a bit strange..

Sorry its nothin like the brill experiences on here..sorry so long, really abd at explainin it...

wud love if anyone could shead any light on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Moved into a loft appartment in the mid 90's in Cork, near McCurtain Street. Long story short, it was great and spacious, and perfect for me except for the occassional smell of rotting that would come and go. after 2 weeks, myself and the gf at the time were in the bedroom one night and a loud knock came on the door and someone said my name.. we both were pretty startled, so I ran to the door and there was no one there.. the door was at the top of a very long flight of stairs which went down 4 stories. I checked the other 3 rooms and there was no one there, I checked the emergencey landing door, and it was locked with a pad lock...
    Things went progressivly downhill for us in that appartment until we all went our seperate ways (two other people had moved in by that stage).
    A year later, we heard that 2 people had committed suicide at different times in the flat some years before, and the guy that had it just before us, moved back home after having a nervous breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have already put my experience down on the threads before, but just in case anyone has not read it i will put it down again--last feb i went on a months holiday with my wife and bulldog in wicklow ireland ,the cottage i rented was very old ,i believe by talking to the owners it was built in the 16 century and was the family home,it had just been rebuilt from a ruin,when we arrived the fire was on for us and it was nice and warm,the fireplace its self was very large two adults could stand upright in it and there would still be room,as i sat there two femails appeared to me both in victorian dress, one aged about 6 years and one about 16 ,the young girl had a bad right foot but she was laughing i felt it was her birthday ,the older girl was a beauty and she knew it ,she was flirting with somebody on the other side of the fireplace and she had red hair,neither- my dog or wife noticed anything -i dont know if you would call them ghosts or as i would like to think some sort of photo/reflection from the walls-this kind of thing is not new to me i have seen many strange things over the years -mybe if i dont bore you i could tell you about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi,

I recomend books by Gordon Smith (one of his first was all about things of this nature) Also "We are Eternal" by Robert Brown was a real eye opener for me...

KidC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

getz wrote: »
    i have already put my experience down on the threads before, but just in case anyone has not read it i will put it down again--last feb i went on a months holiday with my wife and bulldog in wicklow ireland ,the cottage i rented was very old ,i believe by talking to the owners it was built in the 16 century and was the family home,it had just been rebuilt from a ruin,when we arrived the fire was on for us and it was nice and warm,the fireplace its self was very large two adults could stand upright in it and there would still be room,as i sat there two femails appeared to me both in victorian dress, one aged about 6 years and one about 16 ,the young girl had a bad right foot but she was laughing i felt it was her birthday ,the older girl was a beauty and she knew it ,she was flirting with somebody on the other side of the fireplace and she had red hair,neither- my dog or wife noticed anything -i dont know if you would call them ghosts or as i would like to think some sort of photo/reflection from the walls-this kind of thing is not new to me i have seen many strange things over the years -mybe if i dont bore you i could tell you about them

Strange the dog didnt notice anything I thought they would usually pick things like that up, maybe thats just if they were afraid.

I read that walls are ment to absorbe energy.

Advertisement