Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I would be considered skeptical of things like this, but at the same time I desperately want to believe as the concept is extremely interesting. However I think when you hear stories like these there always tends to be a particular use of language that does not imply any sort of credability.

E.g. (and I'm not picking) the above story...

"couple of years ago his grandmother, who had been living in his house, passed away"
    Similar to a kids story "long long ago in a place far far away", we see the use of "couple of years ago.....grandmother.....passed away". It's not committing to anything, and thrown out there like the detail could be substituted with other details without much bother.

"A couple of days later, the dad had started to clear out his mother’s room to make space."
    I lost a family member this year and I assure you the last thing that any member of the family would have done...."a couple of days later" is clear out their room. Here we are months later and we are still coming to terms with our loss. To me that doesn't seem like normal behaviour. Even if the woman in question was old and the family had time to accept the fact she was going to pass, they still would not be able to clear out her stuff a couple of days later.

"His wife (my friends mam), tried to convince the dad to get rid of a large, old style chest of drawers that had belonged to his mam"
    Again like the previous quote, that just doesn't seem like something that would be done or suggested in such circumstances.

"family was shocked to find the father in the back garden the next morning taking a hatchet to the drawers. "
    Depite what may have happened, that seems like a very dramatic and performance/show like way removing the item. Perhaps agreeing to get rid of the piece of furniture, giving it to charity would be more plausable, as opposed to doing something that taking a hatchet to it, in view of the entire family and perhaps neighbours etc.

"he reacted angrily and told everyone “never to mind”, and “don’t ask again”

Again to give the story a more powerful evil undertone and widen that gap between normality and chaos.

These are the reason that I and I'm sure many others find it so difficult to accept. I think if I saw a Ghost myself in the morning....and I'm just as likely to as any of you, I don't think my use of language and personality would change so dramatically.

Also I just want to point out that this is not an attack on the credability of jick the rapper's story, but just something that I've noticed with many many stories I read on these boards and have also been told in the past. I just took the above story as an example. It could be argued that I'm reading too deep in to it and over analysing.

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

ve wrote: »
    I would be considered skeptical of things like this, but at the same time I desperately want to believe as the concept is extremely interesting. However I think when you hear stories like these there always tends to be a particular use of language that does not imply any sort of credability.

E.g. (and I'm not picking) the above story...

"couple of years ago his grandmother, who had been living in his house, passed away"
    Similar to a kids story "long long ago in a place far far away", we see the use of "couple of years ago.....grandmother.....passed away". It's not committing to anything, and thrown out there like the detail could be substituted with other details without much bother.

"A couple of days later, the dad had started to clear out his mother’s room to make space."
    I lost a family member this year and I assure you the last thing that any member of the family would have done...."a couple of days later" is clear out their room. Here we are months later and we are still coming to terms with our loss. To me that doesn't seem like normal behaviour. Even if the woman in question was old and the family had time to accept the fact she was going to pass, they still would not be able to clear out her stuff a couple of days later.

"His wife (my friends mam), tried to convince the dad to get rid of a large, old style chest of drawers that had belonged to his mam"
    Again like the previous quote, that just doesn't seem like something that would be done or suggested in such circumstances.

"family was shocked to find the father in the back garden the next morning taking a hatchet to the drawers. "
    Depite what may have happened, that seems like a very dramatic and performance/show like way removing the item. Perhaps agreeing to get rid of the piece of furniture, giving it to charity would be more plausable, as opposed to doing something that taking a hatchet to it, in view of the entire family and perhaps neighbours etc.

"he reacted angrily and told everyone “never to mind”, and “don’t ask again”

Again to give the story a more powerful evil undertone and widen that gap between normality and chaos.

These are the reason that I and I'm sure many others find it so difficult to accept. I think if I saw a Ghost myself in the morning....and I'm just as likely to as any of you, I don't think my use of language and personality would change so dramatically.

Also I just want to point out that this is not an attack on the credability of jick the rapper's story, but just something that I've noticed with many many stories I read on these boards and have also been told in the past. I just took the above story as an example. It could be argued that I'm reading too deep in to it and over analysing.

What do you think?

What you may not have realised, is that I don’t believe any of the above to be paranormal.

I clearly attributed the events to sleep paralysis.

All the events as stated above are fact, however perceived by you.

If you would like i could try get exact dates and times, would that add to its credibility?.

I don’t believe you’re over analysing, just analysing incorrectly.

Just to re-iterate for your self, at no stage did i suggest any of these where occurrences of a paranormal nature, in fact i stated from the outset that this wasn’t the case!

Incidentally, how can you account for how people react in certain situations, based on your own experiences?

How you perceive the story I related is out of my control.

I at no stage tried to create an “evil undertone”, again, misperception on your part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

ve wrote: »
    I would be considered skeptical of things like this, but at the same time I desperately want to believe as the concept is extremely interesting.

Seems like a strange thing to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Seems like a strange thing to say

indeed it would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

As I said it wasn't a personal attack on your post, I merely used it as an example to illustrate my point. Sleep paralysis or not, you posted in the Paranormal board and not Personal Issues, so I deemed it appropriate in context.
    All the events as stated above are fact
    That may be true, or it may be false, I don't have to believe you either way. Sorry about that. Oh and guess what...you don't have to believe a word I say either. So chill out. This is just a conversation between strangers ;)
    Incidentally, how can you account for how people react in certain situations
    I can't account for everyone, No!, but I have had the opportunity to experience things myself and observe plenty of others around me.
    How you perceive the story I related is out of my control.
    Of course, and nobody suggests otherwise and also my interpretation of your story does not automatically result in a more accurate picture of the event either, but rather just fuel for the point I was trying to make. Whether plausable or not I shouldn't have to tell you that I'm entitled to my opinion and observations.

With regards skepticism, I am skeptic and will question things, but I would love to get my hands on some empirical evidence that proves it all to be true. It is fascinating stuff, and it would be mad if it were true, much more interesting than living in a world where none of it is possible IMO.

• Advertisement

It's great how this has been going for so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 OnderGrund

Hi all!
    Had a brand new experience last night, had to share – my apartment beasties are now watching YouTube.

Was up watching YouTube vids in bed on the laptop last night (OH working away in the home office down the hall), switched to a beloved gossip site, then a book and finally nodded off around 11.
    Not sure how long I was out, but as OH walked down the hall later that night I woke up, knowing it was him and thinking he'd be coming in... and looked up.

On the ceiling above my head was an odd drawing which, as I looked at it, detached and began to drift down to my face. Groggy, surprised and (really, I should know better) shocked, I screamed.
    OH came rocketing in, flipped on the light and of course everything stopped.
    Also, gave out to me for scaring him.

Going over it again in my head (and in my browser history) this morning I realised what I saw last night was from a video I watched for just a few minutes: Carl Sagan's Cosmos explaining the 4th dimension.
    Or, more particularly, the apple-print Sagan makes at 3:09 as he describes how 2D beings would see / interact with one which is 3D.

I've seen hands, I've seen shadows, I've seen people and orbs... but I've NEVER seen drawings before!

Thoughts? Comments?

And to echo your sentiments, Boneyarsebogman – it's great to see this thread is active and thriving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭zainabc

my son died few years back it was near his 1rst anniversary and i was chillin chattin bout him wit my m8s we wer sitiin on stairs near my m8s apartment
    i wasnt drunk i didnt drink dat nite bt everytime i mention his name the door upstairs banged so after a while i went up there and i saw huge white balls of light nt the ones u see on the tely these wer huge i didnt realise at the time and my m8 and me walked down to her apartment it was freezing bt this was hot day after that we heard like child playin and laughing and he said mammy
    i just gt freaked out and ran to my m8 that was my first experience
    he comes to my husband sumtimes
    he sits at the end of bed and he used to play wit my kids i can feel his prescence and wenever u lose sumting u just ask him hel find it 4 ya
    thats my experience wit my son
    i also hav a few of bein in my m8s house as wel bt i dnt want to bore ya x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

actually people's heres a good one for you but you didnt hear it from me

Cinema in Liffey Valley shopping center

screen 6 is haunted ( no joke )

everybody who works there or used to work there i.e me knows it is

a few customers mentioned it was very cold and windy in there while watching a movie but the aircon was fine .. same as all the other screens... the screen like all others are air sealed that the only air that gets in or out is either through the doors as you walk in or through the air con.. and trust me those doors are very heavy. but yet people still feel very cold and they say they felt a breeze go through them but theres nothing there that would cause that and i have actually experienced it myself.

really freaked me out.. after that i never went back into that screen again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

OnderGrund wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Had a brand new experience last night, had to share – my apartment beasties are now watching YouTube.

Was up watching YouTube vids in bed on the laptop last night (OH working away in the home office down the hall), switched to a beloved gossip site, then a book and finally nodded off around 11.
    Not sure how long I was out, but as OH walked down the hall later that night I woke up, knowing it was him and thinking he'd be coming in... and looked up.

On the ceiling above my head was an odd drawing which, as I looked at it, detached and began to drift down to my face. Groggy, surprised and (really, I should know better) shocked, I screamed.
    OH came rocketing in, flipped on the light and of course everything stopped.
    Also, gave out to me for scaring him.

Going over it again in my head (and in my browser history) this morning I realised what I saw last night was from a video I watched for just a few minutes: Carl Sagan's Cosmos explaining the 4th dimension.
    Or, more particularly, the apple-print Sagan makes at 3:09 as he describes how 2D beings would see / interact with one which is 3D.

I've seen hands, I've seen shadows, I've seen people and orbs... but I've NEVER seen drawings before!

Thoughts? Comments?

And to echo your sentiments, Boneyarsebogman – it's great to see this thread is active and thriving!

Probably just the scene from the video imprinted on your eyes before you drifted off. I know if I'm watching something and I close my eyes I can still see whatever it was I was watching for a certain period of time. Perhaps you dreamed about the vid and that combined with the imprint made you think you saw the drawing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stonecutter

Just found this place now.

I moved away from my old house in Artane around 2 years ago.

Some seriously horrible stuff used to happen to us there ( 7 kids altogether ).
    Most of my family wont talk about alot of the things that happened to them so I hear most of the stuff off one of my sisters. I am the youngest of my family.

We used to change around rooms alot in my house years ago, I only found out the reason. Apparently my mother kept waking up to see a young boy at the end of her bed. She kept changing rooms to try and get away from him.

The most common story seemed to be of an old man in the house. I only ever heard things like chairs being moved and once my name being called during the night. But others have seen worse. One guest wouldnt enter our house because she said an evil man is haunting the place. One other guest was sleeping in our living room. We found him screaming during the night, he told us he woke up with a man standing beside him shouting at him but with no sounds coming out of his mouth.

I would love to find out if the new owners of the house have had any experiences in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I had a strange experience in family house. I was 17, there alone as my parents were on holiday with my brother (felt i was too "mature" for the family holidays!!) It was 2 nights before they were due home, I was chatting on the phone to my friend bout 10 in evening. I was in my hallway at the bottom of the stairs when i looked across to my sitting room and our dog was snarling and began barking like crazy.

He's a westie so i didn't freak out straight away (he loves giving out to everyone and everything!) but i did think it unusual that he would snarl. At that point i heard my friend voice become more distant, sounds creepy,its not that basiclly meant that our other (illegally installed!) phone had been picked up,i went to give out to my brother for ear wigging but caught myself as i realised he wasnt there. Then realised that the other phone was in the kitchen,exactly the direction where the dog was barking.

I told my friend to hold on that i was going to have a look. I dont really scare easily and i am usually the first to think of the rational explaination when others are scared, i was a little unnerved going into the kitchen but assumed that maybe the phone had fallen and scared the dog. Only it hadn't. It was firmly in place on the wall. I went back and picked up the phone to tell my friend, she didnt reply. I hung up to call her back and when i picked up the line the static sound came through as if the internet was on.

So i took out my mobile phone to call another friend who lived across the road. I was quite freaked out at this point and not helped by the dog still goung mad. I tried to sound calm knowing that my friend would not come over if i told her what had happened.

While chatting to her (trying to convince her to stay that night) i was moving closer to my front door. At the point where i had one foot out the door my friend asked who was with me. No one i replied, she asked again i still said no one. Then she got annoyed and hung up. (i had played pranks on her before trying to scare her,i know Karma!!!)

I called over to her and to my shock she stated that she had heard clearly someone say "come back inside Sam"

My other friend said that she could hear me perfectly when i had picke up the phone earlier.

Sorry for very long post!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

i once was lying on the couch in the middle of a bad asthma attack. out of the corner of my eye, i saw a man in a denim jacket with a peaked cap sitting on a chair across from me. he was only there for a second though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

i once was lying on the couch in the middle of a bad asthma attack. out of the corner of my eye, i saw a man in a denim jacket with a peaked cap sitting on a chair across from me. he was only there for a second though.

Maybe a hallucination because of lack of oxegen to the brain during an asthma attack?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I can't remember any experiences of my own but I have heard a few from my friends and family.

One day Mum was driving from Letterkenny to Donegal at about 2 in the morning, in the poring rain. She was going through Barnesmore Gap, keeping at the 60 mile hour limit. A car came up behind her, the lights on full. Mum slowed as it was hard to see. The car still kept up close behind her so she slowed further to about 20 mile hour.
    At this stage she was nearing a sharp corner. Going round the corner she saw an accident on the road. She looked in her rear view and the car was no longer behind her. The strange thing is that there are no turn offs along that road. If she had been going at 60 mile an hour, she would of been involved in the accident too.

Another time, before I was even born, Mum was staying at a wee aul cottage. She had a cat at the time and stayed on her own. One night, she came back from work and the cat was going mental. Anytime mum went near the bedroom door the cat hissed and spat and clawed at her hand so mum gave up and slept on the sofa. That night, she heard footsteps walkin up and down the hall, despite the fact she was alone.

Theres more but I don't have the time right now. I'l post again.

Great thread by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fiveyears

My experience is they dont exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Maybe a hallucination because of lack of oxegen to the brain during an asthma attack?:confused:
    wouldn't say so. but did have strange thoughts during a few attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 banky

When my grandmother died suddenly in her house we moved in until we could sell it. Strange things happened in the house lights would turn on and off ect. My mother and father were the only ones with keys to the house and they worked during the week however a few times they came home and the post was moved from the ground and piled neatly on the hall table. My mam and dad were convinced someone had a spare key so they changed the locks but it kept happening. The house was sold soon after however the couple who bought it after sold it after a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

liah wrote: »
    Probably just the scene from the video imprinted on your eyes before you drifted off. I know if I'm watching something and I close my eyes I can still see whatever it was I was watching for a certain period of time. Perhaps you dreamed about the vid and that combined with the imprint made you think you saw the drawing?

yeh i agree there, probably is that

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mr socco

Not a ghost story but here goes:

I was on a internet chatroom when I was about 17 and one lady said she would do a tarot reading for me. Didn't really have any clue what this was about but said what the heck. Anyway, as she began, I had an amazing feeling all through the top of my head and down my back. I also started to hear a kind of murmur. At first I felt quite relaxed but when the murmur/whisper started I got a bit panicky. It petered out after a while as I sensed whatever it was knew I was a bit rattled.

Anyway, I then started going into an internet chatroom for psychics. I got chatting to a couple of people in there and they encouraged me to try and give them a reading. Didn't have a clue how to but...after relaxing for a while I blurted out a few things thinking they were complete rubbish myself. The things that were coming to me were very accurate according to the people on the site, couldn't really believe it myself but got into the swing of it and it just seemed to flow. One example: I got the names of this ladies' aunt and uncle along with few other details. I told the woman that I could see her uncle laughing, the landing at the top of the stairs and the family dog. She told me that the uncle hated the dog and it one day ran up the stairs had a heart attack and died on the landing hence his laughter. She said this really summed up his personality.

Also, the lady on this website encouraged me to meditate. I attempted to do so (difficult for me as I have a terribly short attention span). Sounds quite cheesey but I saw what appeared to be a black slave thanking me, called Nathaniel and myself as a British redcoat soldier (bleurrgghhhh). She said he was probably a guardian angel type of character. Didn't think much more about it until I was sitting in a pub in Castlebar of all places. There was a painting on the wall of slaves being freed by British soldiers during the American Revolution. My friend in the pub told me this actually happened - which I had known nothing about so seemed like more confirmation to me that I had 'something'.

Anyway, long post but just wondering how this relates to others and if anyone has had similar experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

wouldn't say so. but did have strange thoughts during a few attacks.

Why wouldn't you say so? When someone is having an asthma attack there has to be some oxegen starvation to the brain. I think it's more likely than it actually being a ghost IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Only recently stumbled across this thread and it's great!

Might as well share what I think are my own past paranormal experiences...

1. I moved to Cork for work a few years ago. One day, I came home after an exam and fell asleep (this was around 1 in the afternoon) and I woke up about 1.5 hrs later as I thought I heard my phone ringing (it hadn't). When I tried to move, I couldn't, I tried to shout out but nothing was coming out of my mouth. All through this, I could sense someone watching me but obviously I couldn't see anyone. Eventually I managed to move and I just put it down to sleep paralysis. Later that night, I woke up about 3 in the morning to see a tall guy standing in the corner of my room. He was dressed in 1930's'ish farming clothes, had red hair and a tweed cap. I thought it was just my imagination and I started blinking but he just stood there for a full minute and disappeared. Needless to say I couldn't sleep for the rest of the night but afterwards I just put it down to an over-active imagination. However, a few weeks later I mentioned it to my brother who said that he had woken up one night to find a similar guy kneeling at the end of his bed. Again, this guy stayed for about a minute and disappeared. This guy was wearing a tux but his physical characteristics were very similar to the person I saw in my room. I don't think ghosts generally change clothes but just thought it was strange that the both of us saw a similar person within weeks of each other.

2. When I was younger (4 or 5), I woke up one night in the middle of the night and as I was drifting back to sleep , I thought I felt someone tap me on the shoulder and then heard a little boy and girl talking behind me. The girl was telling the boy they had to go, but he said he just wanted to check I was ok. This happened in the room my brother is now in.

3. When I was about 12, my uncle passed away. One night, I was in my room doing homework and he came into my mind. I said a quiet prayer for him and at that moment, the radio in my room switched itself on. Freaked the s**t out of me bacause it never turned itself on before, and it never did again after that day. (BTW we weren't close).

I think that's about it, but I often feel "presences" around me too (though I could just be paranoid!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Carrickbhoy

When i was 17 my uncle and his family went on holidays and he asked me to check in on his house by turning on the lights and that when it got dark so no one would break into the house, one night after leaving my uncles i was walking home and it got really cold suddenly this woman dressed in 1920's fashion came walking towards me and just as she approached me she dissapeared, i ran home told my parents what happened and they went real quiet, apparently it happened to my neighbour a few years before in the exact same spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 benjyboo

My Dad was in his 20's at the time and was driving home from a "dance" as they called them in those days. He had his sister in the car with them and neither of them had been drinking so both were stone cold sober at the time.

So they're driving along happily chatting away to each other and they're on a quiet, dark rural road. It must have been about 2/3am at the time and they were going slow as it was a narrow and windy road.

Up in the distance they see a man walking very slowly along the side of the road, near the ditch coming towards them. As they got closer my Dad noticed that he was very pale, he had a very white, almost illuminated pallour to him.

The closer they got he noticed that he wasn't "walking" in the traditional manner where you'd notice his shoulders bobbing up and down, arms swaying, that kind of thing... he was more gliding along very motionlessly as though his feet weren't actually touching the ground.

As they got real close to him and passed right by him he noted that he was very tall - he reckoned well over 6' (probably closer to 7') and he was wearing a formal black suit along with a top hat - which would have been very out of place for the type of country rural area which they were in - and had very dark/black eyes which bore into them as they drove by.

As soon as they passed him my Dad thought there was something "odd" about him, however he decided not to pass comment to his sister in case she thought he was mad.

So they both drove along in deathly silence whereas minutes earlier they had been happily chatting away. About 10 minutes later after driving in complete silence his sister turns around to him and says; "That was a dead man we just passed wasn't it?"

Upon hearing this my Dad said he just got an icy cold shiver down his spine and every little hair on the back of his neck stood up straight, so he put his foot down and sped off til they reached home.

...gotta say, this story reeally creeped me out!

I was telling my brother this particular story the other night after reading through the thread. Usually he's a bit sceptical of this sort of thing but this time he actually listened and told me of little story of his own..

He was driving home from a gig one night, with a fellow band member in the passenger seat. There was terrible fog all over, so he was taking care to drive slowly, keeping his eye on the left side of the road to guide him. So anyways, they were driving down this narrow little rural road at about 3am, when he came to a very sharp left turn. However, at the side of his eye, on the other side of the road, he noticed a gate with the shape of 'something' next to it. He didn't look over because he was concentrating on taking the sharp turn and he didn't really think much of it anyways. However, after they passed the turn and a couple of seconds down the road, his fellow band member turned to him and said, 'Whoa... did you see that man just standing there, staring at us when we were going around the turn??..he was just standing there like... he didn't have a torch or nothin!'
    My brother was freaked out at that stage, remembering the shape, '...was that what that was?'

...could've been a farmer all the same I suppose, minding his gate!:pac: ...the story creeped me out though!

A friend of mine also told me before, that her dog used to start barking frantically in the middle of the night so she would have to go downstairs and let him out. However, once she said that she saw the figure of a man in a white suit pacing around, across the road from her house. She said that her sisters saw it when they would let the dog out, but didn't say anything about it until she brought it up. Strangley enough, it is a part of the road that there have been numerous accidents...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Centurion Angel

benjyboo wrote: »
    ...gotta say, this story reeally creeped me out!

I was telling my brother this particular story the other night after reading through the thread. Usually he's a bit sceptical of this sort of thing but this time he actually listened and told me of little story of his own..

He was driving home from a gig one night, with a fellow band member in the passenger seat. There was terrible fog all over, so he was taking care to drive slowly, keeping his eye on the left side of the road to guide him. So anyways, they were driving down this narrow little rural road at about 3am, when he came to a very sharp left turn. However, at the side of his eye, on the other side of the road, he noticed a gate with the shape of 'something' next to it. He didn't look over because he was concentrating on taking the sharp turn and he didn't really think much of it anyways. However, after they passed the turn and a couple of seconds down the road, his fellow band member turned to him and said, 'Whoa... did you see that man just standing there, staring at us when we were going around the turn??..he was just standing there like... he didn't have a torch or nothin!'
    My brother was freaked out at that stage, remembering the shape, '...was that what that was?'

...could've been a farmer all the same I suppose, minding his gate!:pac: ...the story creeped me out though!

A friend of mine also told me before, that her dog used to start barking frantically in the middle of the night so she would have to go downstairs and let him out. However, once she said that she saw the figure of a man in a white suit pacing around, across the road from her house. She said that her sisters saw it when they would let the dog out, but didn't say anything about it until she brought it up. Strangley enough, it is a part of the road that there have been numerous accidents...:confused:

hey like your story and the one you quoted, my dad has a similair one,

my dad is a chef in a busy hotel and after a busy day in work, it was late and he was heading home, it was dark but a normal drive home, we live in the country a 20min drive from town, anyway it was around one in the night, my dad pulled into our drive and got out of the car and into our house he had only closed the door behind him had just stepped away from it when there was a knock on the door, my dad turned around and answered the door, and infront of him stood a very tall, very thin, very pale man, in a average black "funeral" type suit that was far too small for him and dark eyes! my dad just looked at him and said yes? the man just asked for the directions to a place, my dad knew it, it was in galway, absolute miles away, my dad just said eh yeah and gave him fairly rough directions, as there was no way the guy was walking there, the man stood looking at my dad said nothing and very slowly turned around and walked straight through the garden, flower beds and all as if they werent there, and climbed over the fence and continued to walk down the country road in the wrong direction my dad told him to!

needless to say my dad was freaked my dad was confused first of all on the drive home he saw no one on the roads, he saw no one around our house, sensor light didn't react to the man at all the man was at the door just seconds after my dad was which with our porch and stuff thats pretty impossible! and the man in general was just wrong

anyway there ya go sorry for the long post

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Reading stories on this thread scares me...

Sometimes I also get that breath-y feeling on my ear - it's very disconcerting. And there are times when I'm afraid to use the shower because I'm convinced someone's watching me :o I get freaked out easily by stuff like this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

Some of these stories are really freaky . . Here is mine !

I moved into a newly built house in 2005 and we lived there for a few years. We noticed little things in the beginning like little bangs and cold breezes around the house , but then doors started to open and close on their own and the taps also turned themselves on and off . . i didn't like the house , it had an awful atmosphere . Whenever i went to bed i felt like someone was standing watching me , luckily i never saw anything ! I would've jumped a mile :p

My step dads nephew stayed over one night , he was about 3 at the time , and in the morning we were all sitting around the kitchen table eating breakfast . My step cousin turns to my step dad and goes "There's a ghost standing there in the corner watching us eat . . but its alright he's a friendly ghost" We were all frightened by the strange goings on around the house , but after that little episode we weren't so scared , the ghost didn't mean us any harm . We think he was just looking for noticed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

Just last night, was staying in my brothers house. I was lying in bed and could of swore I heard a door open, so I get up and go out to check it out..all bedroom doors are closed, all doors downstairs are closed so i go back up and ask did you hear that? did you close the back door? but couldnt of heard it because was sleepin. and back door was closed. So 5 mins later I go back out of the room to look again and as I'm walkin along the landin/hall whatever u call it where you are..i hear a bang somewhere infront of me..no idea where it came from but was pretty loud..what made it more freaky was the attic was right above me when this happened and the cover wasn't on it right. lol it was also windy last night so im open to skeptic views on this. its weird because I've stayed there before and nothing ever happened, never felt uncomfortable or anything..and I do think I sense things when it comes to ghosts because I used to have a room I wouldn't sleep in. and had few experiences before..but thats all for today lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

i have read a good few stories so far and tomorrow ill read more but ive gotta say in 50/50 wether they are real or not....i guess ya cant fully belive in them unless ya have an experience huh?i havent and my god i hope i never do!...when my dad died 2 years ago in our house...like a month after the funeral, a frame hanging on the wall in the hall that my dad loved and stuff fell to the ground and spooked everyone cos like it was their years and years and never fell down until then and belonged to him!...i think its was just coincidence but the rest dont...all your stories are scary and if i had an experience like that id never sleep alone again or in the dark:(....edit here.....ive read a post someone left about them having dreams of figures walkign towards them and they feel real even when u wake up.....i get them alot:(its scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

It's a funny thing. So many people have seen ghosts, or some kind of paranormal phenomena. It's not such an uncommon thing, yet even some people who have seen things, convince themselves that it was a trick of the light, a mistake, or that they dont remember it quite right.

I remember the first time I saw one, I convinced myself that I had just imagined it, same goes for the second time.
    It took a long time for the denial to go away and for me to be able to admit to myself that it's not a big deal, sometimes you can catch a glimpse of something. It's nothing to worry about.

I've never had a frightening or worrying experience, just seen people in my house, walking down the hallway, standing in a room. They are there for a moment, then gone.
    They have always looked like normal people, nothing gorey or scary, never threatening or ominous.

Then again, maybe they were just a trick of the light. Hmmm....

Advertisement