Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I used live in a house that was over 100 years old (I think it might have been the 'gatehouse' on an old estate or something, but I don't know enough history of the area - I should look it up somewhere!) anyways, the house was over 100 years old and had been extended (badly) by a previous owner about 40 years ago. The door that had been the old house's back door (and is now the door from the dining room to the living room) used to open by itself. yes I did check, there was no breeze and the door hung level, so it wasn't the hinges being "funny".

Prior to us living in the house an elderly couple had owned it, the man died a few months after they moved, and several times I saw a golden "glow" moving around. First time I saw it out of the corner of my eye in the dining room and assumed it was a reflection off of something, but it couldn't have been because the sun was shining in the wrong direction, it wasn't the sun shining through the yellow glass on the door either, for the same reason ...
    Another time I saw it in my room, I was at my computer writing when it floated across the keyboard. Again there was no way a light was reflecting off anything.

Many many years ago when I lived in Scotland I had a pony that I kept at a riding school. The house there was supposed to be haunted, one dark evening myself and another girl both shouted "who's that in the kitchen?" when the house was in fact empty, apparently we both saw different things, I saw someone standing by the fridge, where she saw someone by the door (the lights had been left on, and the kitchen had a bit picture window).
    Another time a group of us kids were hanging around in the barn - I was looking at the farmhouse, there was a window under the apex of the roof and I could see what (to my less than stellar eyesight) a blonde curly haired child looking out at us. I turned around to say we're being watched (the woman who ran the riding school had a habit of watching us), but the others were too busy chatting to listen to me, I turned back intending to wave cheekily at whomever was watching us, but the face was gone. I assumed it'd been a trick of the light and shifted position several times but still could only see a blank dark window. I found my glasses and put them on, now I could see a reflection of the tree near the house on the window, but it didn't resemble a face, or blonde hair.
    At some point in time I was told that there'd been a fire in the house and two small children had died in the room where the window is. I've never been able to verify that tho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

Does anyone know what is the difference between a ghost and a spirit. I know a ghost will be seen about 3 feet above the ground level. And I know that some houses/land hold the energy, the imprint of what happen there. So is that a ghost or spirit? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Yep seen Ghosts a couple of times,Most vivid one i remember was i was half asleep on my bed and lying facing so i could see my mirror wardrobe.I saw her in the mirror reflection nearly had a heart seizure lol I brushed it off as dream.But next night same thing although this time she leaned over me in the bed i opened my eyes and she was staring at me :eek:
    Still remember what she looks like and how she was dressed.

I never slept in that bed again and now i have moved lol :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The-Star wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is the difference between a ghost and a spirit. I know a ghost will be seen about 3 feet above the ground level. And I know that some houses/land hold the energy, the imprint of what happen there. So is that a ghost or spirit? :confused:

without getting into a huge classification argument.

Spirits can interact / communicate with the living, where as ghost is like a replay of an event with no interaction over and above seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

Hi Stoner,
    Thanks for your clear answer.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Its not very good quality and some ppl see the image others dont. But that really falls on the quality of the photo. In the "flesh" it was very obvious to me anyway!!!!!!!!!!

i can see the image very clearly, maybe its a reflection or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Danny B

Hi everyone, I have been looking at this thread through a link that was on the tartan army board. I'm not Irish, in fact I'm a Glaswegian however I thought I'd join as I was really enjoying this thread.

I'd also like to share a pleasant experience I had.

About 10 years ago when I was eleven I was staying at my gran's house. I remember one night when I was lying in the spare bedroom, I was in that no-man's land between slumber and consciousness. I vividly remember hearing the door open quietly and soft footsteps padding across the room towards the bottom of my bed. I looked up, not at all alarmed and stared into the smiling face of my granda'. He walked to the end of my bed and stopped there, looking at me and smiling. We didn't speak and I wasn't afraid but there seemed to be a communication of sorts between us - I think he was just checking in on me to make sure I was ok. I lay there looking at him and he stood there looking back at me in silence, then, when I was satisfied that we'd 'said' all we had to, I turned away and went back to sleep to the sound of his footfalls retreating out of the room.

I'd like to stress at this point that I wasn't in the least bit scared or concerned by this episode - but that's probably because at the time he was alive and well and was indeed just checking in on me. :)

Btw, I wrote this post in jest, no offence intended to anyone who thinks I'm taking the p1ss. I do actually have one or two real experiences which I will post in due course.

Danny B wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have been looking at this thread through a link that was on the tartan army board. I'm not Irish, in fact I'm a Glaswegian however I thought I'd join as I was really enjoying this thread.

I'd also like to share a pleasant experience I had.

About 10 years ago when I was eleven I was staying at my gran's house. I remember one night when I was lying in the spare bedroom, I was in that no-man's land between slumber and consciousness. I vividly remember hearing the door open quietly and soft footsteps padding across the room towards the bottom of my bed. I looked up, not at all alarmed and stared into the smiling face of my granda'. He walked to the end of my bed and stopped there, looking at me and smiling. We didn't speak and I wasn't afraid but there seemed to be a communication of sorts between us - I think he was just checking in on me to make sure I was ok. I lay there looking at him and he stood there looking back at me in silence, then, when I was satisfied that we'd 'said' all we had to, I turned away and went back to sleep to the sound of his footfalls retreating out of the room.

I'd like to stress at this point that I wasn't in the least bit scared or concerned by this episode - but that's probably because at the time he was alive and well and was indeed just checking in on me. :)

Btw, I wrote this post in jest, no offence intended to anyone who thinks I'm taking the p1ss. I do actually have one or two real experiences which I will post in due course.

Hi and welcome to Ireland :D
    Hahahaha i knew it before i finished what was coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Danny B wrote: »

lol:D Nice intro!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

shqipshume wrote: »
    Yep seen Ghosts a couple of times,Most vivid one i remember was i was half asleep on my bed and lying facing so i could see my mirror wardrobe.I saw her in the mirror reflection nearly had a heart seizure lol I brushed it off as dream.But next night same thing although this time she leaned over me in the bed i opened my eyes and she was staring at me :eek:
    Still remember what she looks like and how she was dressed.i

I never slept in that bed again and now i have moved lol :D

:eek:

i would have had a heart seizure if that happened to me. i've often wanted to see a ghost but then after reading stories like this i'm glad i never have. i suppose the saftest thing to do is sleep under your bed clothes at all times:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Yesterday i brought my kids up to Glendalough and was trying out my new camera i took a few pics in the church just down from the round tower through the metal gate 1st photo there was a red mist, the 2nd photo taken 2/3 seconds later no red mist!! Caught orbs in other photo's taken near 6 ish at the lower lake car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

About two years ago after moving into the house we are living in now, the kids were sharing a bedroom upstairs. They were 4 and 2 at the time. One night, about 2 o'clock, i heard a telephone ringing. It was the toy telephone that they have on their desk in the room. Well, as you can imagine, i was a bit freaked out, went in to check, there was nothing leaning on it or pressing into the buttons but it still rang two more times while i was there. I lifted it and gave it a little shake and put it down to a short in the batteries or something, but was still a bit weirded out by it. My OH was totally freaked out by it though.

Next morning, i asked the older one did she hear the phone ringing last night. She said yes, it was Rosie on the phone. We don't know anybody by that name and at the time, they weren't going to playschool or have many friends outside of our family circle. They often talked about Rosie and you'd often hear them playing and talking to her as if she's really there. The older one has even described her to me in the past, although, she doesn't really talk about her as much now since she's been going to school and has more things on her mind now.

I know kids can make up imaginary friends but, the phone thing really was spooky!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gcgirl wrote: »
    Yesterday i brought my kids up to Glendalough and was trying out my new camera i took a few pics in the church just down from the round tower through the metal gate 1st photo there was a red mist, the 2nd photo taken 2/3 seconds later no red mist!! Caught orbs in other photo's taken near 6 ish at the lower lake car park!

would love to see them photos,any chance you could post them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Some interesting stories here. I'm not trying to say that people here are lying or anything but I always think it's good to take stories like alot of the ones here with a pinch of salt. There are logical explanations for alot of things and the mind is a powerful tool, it can convince you of alot of things! Having said that I THINK i believe in 'paranormal activities' and that SOME people do have real encounters with ghosts/spirits, it's just that imo a lot of stories are people convincing themselves they saw something or that something happened when there's actually a quite reasonable explanation for something. I'd have serious doubts about second hand stories aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

shoefloozy wrote: »
    2 years ago I held a girlie night in my house, I thought it would be fun if we had a psychic medium to come for the night and give readings. There was 8 girls all family, we had a brilliant night and sat up very late in the sitting room chatting about what the meduim had told us. I remember it was a friday because the late late show was on but we had the tv on mute. well as all sat around we were talking about my little brother who passed away when I was younger, the medium had told my mum she sensed his precence. Then all of a sudden the surround sound came on blaring his favourite song 'Billy Jean' for about 20 seconds then faded away. As we all sat in complete shock I checked to see if the radio or a cd was playing but it wasn't even switched on.
    I believe it was my brother letting us know that he was there listening to us recount our stories.

shoefloozy wrote: »
    Last year i began to feel a strange presence upstairs on the landing, anytime I passed a certain spot I could sence a menacing being. I was genuinely scared and wouldn't go upstairs on my own because I was convinced something was watching me, something not nice at all! I have lived in this house for 6yrs with my partner. He knew and understood my feelings so for a while he would accompany me upstairs with all the lights on. The night we had the psychic medium I asked her if she would kindly go upstairs and see if she felt anything, as soon as she got to the top of the stairs she stopped and looked at me, her face turned white, she told me she didn't like what she was feeling and seemed uneasy, regardless she carried on and performed a cleansing with burning sage wafting it all over repeating " who or whatever you are, you are not wanted here and you must leave, please leave this house" After that night I have'nt felt the presence.

So the medium night was 2 years ago and you started feeling the presence about a year ago but the night the medium was around she sorted it out for you. Very strange indeed........

here is the first one http://cid-b6fce29226deb608.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/stuff/DSC00120.JPG

Bottom left hand corner you can see the red mist
    just click on the one next to it for the 2nd pic pretty interesting
    would love to see them photos,any chance you could post them up?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gcgirl wrote: »
    here is the first one http://cid-b6fce29226deb608.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/stuff/DSC00120.JPG

Bottom left hand corner you can see the red mist
    just click on the one next to it for the 2nd pic pretty interesting

very interesting indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

I think my bf's parent's house is haunted, from numerous experiences.

Pictures falling from the wall, knocks during the night, chairs moving.

Once Myself and my bf stayed over, along with my bf's sister. at 3.17 during the night, ALL of our phone alarms went off at the same time, none set of course!

My Bf's sister swears she woke up one night and a man stood at the foot of her bed.

One time, I slept in her room, I'm usually a very heavy sleeper, but something woke up. I saw a little girl wearing a dress circa 1920's standing in her room, she smiled at me, then ran towards the window and was gone.

Never scared, just really really interesting to know there's something more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

i have pictures of face`s in my mirror`s
    how do i post them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

LeahBaby wrote: »
    at 3.17 during the night, ALL of our phone alarms went off at the same time, none set of course!

good to see ghosts keeping up with the times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I used to live in the apartments where premier dairies used to be on the finglas road.

Our second bedroom was always colder than the other rooms in the house. While not being able to sleep in my own room, due to ot snoring, I went to the other room, and left the bedroom door open, so I could see directly into the hallway and front door.

I woke up at about 3am, and looked towards the front door. I could see a little boy of about 8 or 9 standing at the front door looking into the room. Now I looked and thought I was dreaming, looked away and sat up in the bed. I looked again and he was still there. I said hello, and he smiled and ran towards the other room, and i got up to run after him, but no sign of him.

He was dressed in olden day clothes, with a hat, braces etc. I never felt worried or scared or anything. Asked a round a few older people in Finglas village, and apparently a little boy was killed in an accident years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You'd need to upload them to something like photobucket and then post the code that looks like this [noparse]monkey_n_cat.jpg[/noparse]

http://photobucket.com/

Or if you wany mail them to me and I'll throw them up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

http://cid-b6fce29226deb608.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/stuff/DSC00120.JPG?sa=459572349

This "red mist" effect can be replicated if one of your digits happens to impinge, even fractionally, on your camera lens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

but was the mist there in real life as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Krisiscrazy

I have quite a few experiences... Especially in my house. In my room... In my Closet... I was by myself and I decided to clean my closet out... it was tore up. So I went in there and shut the door. The door flew open and everything flew out. Clothes that were on hangers and wouldnt have moved were laying on my floor. I blew it off as coincidence and ignored it. but then it kept happening. without any motivation. My closet was clean and It'd fly out. That was before I found out my house is on top of a hanging ground. >.<

:eek:

i would have had a heart seizure if that happened to me. i've often wanted to see a ghost but then after reading stories like this i'm glad i never have. i suppose the saftest thing to do is sleep under your bed clothes at all times:)

Hahaha yeah guess so you cant see whats there just feel it :(

When we were small on the booth road clondalkin,they have a holy statue not sure if anyone is familiar with it here.But it was always so eerie around it.One night my moms friend decided to tell us banshees roamed the little path that went past it and she heard it one night:eek: and her gran died next day:(

towel401 wrote: »
    but was the mist there in real life as well?

It was pitch black in there i could not see a thing ! i took a few photos after it to check it cos i was a bit miffed about it!!

http://cid-b6fce29226deb608.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/stuff/DSC00120.JPG?sa=459572349

This "red mist" effect can be replicated if one of your digits happens to impinge, even fractionally, on your camera lens!

Its never happened before with this camera !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DLz

In septemnber or November of 2003, my friend and I were returning home from a night out in Cork city. For those of you who are familar with cork, we were walking up strawberry hill in the northside, when we approximately parallel with the jail, a black shadow figure raced across our path and into a block of terrace houses. There wasn't a hope any person could phyiscally get into the house without us seeing them. It was really exciting actually. I wonder has anyone experienced anything like that on strawberry hill before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

In the early 90's, I cycled from Skibbereen to Cork City. As you approach the city from the west there is a long steep incline, so I got off and walked. I passed by a, long abandond, single story country cottage. The garden was completely overgrown, brambles as high as the roof. I wouldn't even have known it was there if somone hadn't, very neatly, cut a path from the gateway to the front door. The door was open and standing at the gate was a middleaged women. She was very pale and her clothes where what you would expect someone from the turn of century to wear - black shawl..etc. I passed within a couple of feet of her. She smiled. I kept going.

Advertisement